PDA

View Full Version : Hartwig injures toe

SteelerNation1
07-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Savran on Sportsbeat last night reported that hartwig was seen in a walking boot and that he has a broken tie. Ed bouchette speculates that stapleton will slide over to center and trai Essex and Kraig urbik will compete at rg. Hartwig will miss a few weeks they guessed.

Oviedo
07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Toe injuries are nothing to laiugh at. A toe injury ended Jack Lambert's career.

I hope this heals because I'm not confident with Stapleton being the guy and we don't need Shipley or Legursky doing OJT during a season we could win a second consecutive championship.

LasVegasGuy
07-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Time to go shopping on the scrap heap. Any Lions get cut recently :lol:

fezziwig
07-10-2009, 11:41 AM
And so it begins

DHSF
07-10-2009, 01:30 PM
At least it happened now instead of during the regular season. It should be pretty much healed up by the time the regular season starts.

Jooser
07-10-2009, 02:05 PM
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz88/JessicaHamby/Icons/00115ep5.png

papillon
07-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Toe injuries are nothing to laiugh at. A toe injury ended Jack Lambert's career.

I hope this heals because I'm not confident with Stapleton being the guy and we don't need Shipley or Legursky doing OJT during a season we could win a second consecutive championship.

Hartwig looked good to us last year because Mahan was an abomination the prior year. I believe that Stapleton would be able to perform at least at the same level as Hartwig if the toe injury were to manifest into something more than a few week layoff.

As far as I'm concerned the only thing that Hartwig provides over Stapleton is continuity and there is a lot to be said for that.

Pappy

SteelerNation1
07-10-2009, 04:22 PM

Lambert had turf toe. That is much worse than the broken toe Hartwig has per Bouchette. I think this is could be a blessing in disguise, giving us a long look at Stapleton, Urbik, and even Essex.

SteelerNation1
07-10-2009, 04:23 PM

Lambert had turf toe. That is much worse than the broken toe Hartwig has per Bouchette. I think this is could be a blessing in disguise, giving us a long look at Stapleton, Urbik, and even Essex.
Forgot to say, this may open the door for AQ Shipley as well.

Ozey74
07-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Finally, some interesting Steelers news to discuss. Too bad it's about an injury. :HeadBanger

I agree with SN1. This could open the door for someone else. I'd like to see Shipley step up to the plate and do something. True, on paper he seems like a long shot to contribute this year, but he seems to have alot of heart that could make up for his physical shortcommings. I'd love to see the local boy pick up torch and become the next great Steeler center.

:tt2

stlrz d
07-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Tomlin didn't put a stump and an axe in the locker room, did he? :P

Discipline of Steel
07-10-2009, 09:10 PM

Hartwig looked good to us last year because Mahan was an abomination the prior year. I believe that Stapleton would be able to perform at least at the same level as Hartwig if the toe injury were to manifest into something more than a few week layoff.

As far as I'm concerned the only thing that Hartwig provides over Stapleton is continuity and there is a lot to be said for that.

Pappy

You seem to forget that Hartwig has a high Madden rating.

papillon
07-10-2009, 09:35 PM

Pappy

You seem to forget that Hartwig has a high Madden rating.

Yea, yea, yea and just like anything else related to John Madden it's irrelevant. :P

Pappy

phillyesq
07-11-2009, 09:19 AM

Pappy

There is something to be said for continuity. He also provides a bit more bulk than Stapelton does. Stapelton is more mobile, but I worry about him having to face the NTs of the AFC for an entire year without wearing down.

Chavezz
07-11-2009, 09:28 AM

I agree. I don't mind these early pre training camp injuries. It allows the young guys to get an opportunity to run with the 1st team units to see how the stack up.

Non issue IMO.

pittpete
07-12-2009, 01:01 PM
I think this is could be a blessing in disguise, giving us a long look at Stapleton, Urbik, and even Essex.

aggiebones
07-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I agree to the blessing in disguise notion. Its not like Hartwig is our best and only player. He's a spare part frankly. I like him and appreciate him, but I think we all know this is his last season with us. We get to see some youth in the fire for a couple games. If none of these guys show well, then we'll know that we need to move any direction or resign Hartwig. But letting him go and not knowing for sure about the backups would be scarier.

fezziwig
07-13-2009, 05:47 PM
I agree to the blessing in disguise notion. Its not like Hartwig is our best and only player. He's a spare part frankly. I like him and appreciate him, but I think we all know this is his last season with us. We get to see some youth in the fire for a couple games. If none of these guys show well, then we'll know that we need to move any direction or resign Hartwig. But letting him go and not knowing for sure about the backups would be scarier.

Good point

pfelix73
07-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Ah- it's only early July... He'll be a starting I'm sure.

I hate it when I break a tie.

:lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-14-2009, 11:21 AM
It will be interesting to see how this is handled. If Stapleton is the starter going into camp at RG and he is moved to C for Hartiwg...This will open the door for Urbik at RG. I'm telling you, if Urbik sees the field with the 1st team it will be hard to get him out of there. His intelligence and knowledge of the game combined with his ability will create a chemistry quickly. He will grasp the offense quickly playing with the first team and once that happens his physical abilities will stand out over Stapleton. I think in all fairness to Stapleton, the Steelers should try Legursky or Shipley at C in Hartwig's absence. It will show them what they have in those 2 and also give Stapleton a fair shot at keeping his RG spot. I think Stapleton is the best answer at C because of experience right now(If it was the regular season) but playing him at C while Hartwig heals won't give him equal evaluation through the PS. He should still start at RG and play with the 2nd team at C. Find out what you have in Legursky now with the starters. Ben should be limited in passing behind him through the PS. Dixon & Batch will see more reps behind C so it would be a good time to experiment. This is how I would play it if they want Stapleton at C with Ben. Have Stapleton a C while Ben is QB and Essex at RG. As soon as he leaves the field, move Stapleton back to RG and have Legursky play C. Now you are looking at 1 player out(C) and the OG/OT playing together on there respective sides. This is about as close as you could get to getting quality starter work through the PS without Hartwig. The Steelers will know early what they have in Legursky...And then Shipley. Get the guys some work...Perfect time to do it.

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Ah- it's only early July... He'll be a starting I'm sure.

I disagree. It's mid July. :mrgreen:

(I agree that Hartwig will be back and starting in time for the beginning of the season, though) :P

Oviedo
07-14-2009, 12:10 PM
What is unclear and most relevent is whether a "few weeks" was from when he got the injury which would mean he is good to go for the start of camp or a "few weeks" of camp.
Poor reporting by the media types.

My bet is he is ready to go for camp but may be limited in some drills.

SteelerNation1
07-14-2009, 02:31 PM
What is unclear and most relevent is whether a "few weeks" was from when he got the injury which would mean he is good to go for the start of camp or a "few weeks" of camp.

What's weird is the PG never mentioned this. I'm kind of surprised by that Ov.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-15-2009, 08:58 AM

Probably right. The fact that he is in the last year of his contract might also have him "limping" back onto the field, earlier than usual, for a vet in the preseason. I don't expect his job to be in jeopardy unless Stapleton really bulked up over the offseason or Legursky or Shipley play "lights out" over the preseason...But durabilty became a question in Carolina and that is a question he doesn't need brought up again looking for a new contract next year.

pfelix73
07-15-2009, 09:57 AM
As Coach Tomlin would say-

This is a 'non issue'.

:tt1