PDA

View Full Version : Heath Miller -- cap casualty or CBA casualty?

PSU_dropout43
07-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Without a new CBA, Heath can't can’t become unrestricted free agents until after his sixth season, in Heath's case 2011.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ag5HjbnR7SNYUWiX0ztkButDubYF?slug=jc-05draftclasscontracts070709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Teams slow to re-sign ’05 draft picks
by Jason Cole

In a clear sign that NFL owners are going to use the leverage of a possible uncapped 2010 season against players in negotiations, only three first-round picks from the 2005 NFL draft have signed contract extensions with their initial franchise so far. If this trend continues, it could have a significant impact on free agency next year.

Under the CBA rules of an uncapped year, players can’t become unrestricted free agents until after their sixth season. Subsequently, players from the ’05 class, such as San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman, Cleveland Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards and Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Roddy White, will only have five years of service accrued and would not be unrestricted free agents next offseason. Unless they work out renegotiated deals between now and then, they would become restricted free agents following the ’09 campaign – meaning their current clubs have the ability to match an offer sheet from a competing team to retain their services.

Currently, players are eligible for unrestricted free agency after four seasons.

The agents for Merriman, Edwards and White are among several who have expressed interest in doing long-term contracts, but have gotten little response from teams.

For Merriman’s part, he is taking the situation in stride.

“I just turned 25 man, I don’t care about any of that stuff. I can do this all day!” Merriman wrote in an email. “I just feel like all my work will pay off one day and somebody is going to realize what I bring and give me what I want.”

While that’s a healthy attitude, Merriman is also coming off a left knee injury which limited him to only one game last season and forced him to have surgery. As a result, Merriman might have to display that he’s fully recovered from ligament damage before commanding a lucrative deal from the Chargers or another team.

As for the rest of the ’05 first-rounders, only Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, and defensive linemen Mike Patterson (Philadelphia Eagles) and Luis Castillo (San Diego) have signed extensions. Quarterback Alex Smith reworked the final two years of his contract to stay with the San Francisco 49ers and running back Cedric Benson, drafted by the Chicago Bears, has since joined the Cincinnati Bengals and signed a new deal.

“It’s pretty clear what the teams are doing,” one agent said. “They’re using the threat of the uncapped year against the players, hoping to get cheaper deals done or just waiting it out, period.”

That agent said that if players don’t get new deals, there’s a chance some of them could hold out. Or at least threaten to hold out.

“If teams think that some of these guys are going to play on the restricted tenders, they’re kidding themselves,” another agent said. “I’ll tell my guy that he just shouldn’t show up for any of the offseason program or for any of training camp. Let the teams deal with that.”

By comparison, at least 10 members of the 2004 first-round class had signed contract extensions prior to the start of their fifth season. Among them are Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, cornerback DeAngelo Hall (who got his new deal after being traded from the Falcons to the Oakland Raiders), Denver Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams and Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Though some of the top picks from 2005 haven’t been successful, such as Smith and free agents Adam “Pacman” Jones (cornerback) and Mike Williams (wide receiver), there are a number of players who have excelled. Aside from Edwards, Merriman and White, the list includes Washington Redskins cornerback Carlos Rogers, linebacker DeMarcus Ware, New Orleans Saints offensive tackle Jammal Brown, Steelers tight end Heath Miller and New England Patriots guard Logan Mankins.

Northern_Blitz
07-09-2009, 06:25 AM
I don't like the sound of this.

I think it's unfortunate that teams get a financial advantage in the short term if the league goes uncapped. It gives them incentive not to get a contract done.

IMO the death of the salary cap = the death of the NFL.

Mister Pittsburgh
07-09-2009, 07:43 AM
agree. if the cap goes...the nfl will suck.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-10-2009, 05:00 PM
I don't like the sound of this.

I think it's unfortunate that teams get a financial advantage in the short term if the league goes uncapped. It gives them incentive not to get a contract done.

IMO the death of the salary cap = the death of the NFL.

Keep in mind that the extra two years before a player reaches UFA will be more than offset by the ridiculous contracts given by idiots like Jones and Snyder to those who are UFAs. The owners - as a group - will spend more under no CBA than if there is one. And that will suck even more than we can imagine.

As far as the thread title goes.....my guess is neither.

papillon
07-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Ummm, just sayin...

http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7045&st=0&sk=t&sd=a :P

Pappy

steelcityrules!!
07-10-2009, 10:12 PM
the notion that the two sides can't come together under a new CBA, and all signs point to utter disaster for the NFL a few years down the road, is absolute insanity to me.

friggin jerks.
all trying to get more cash in their pockets, on all sides, and you and I will get piped right in the cornhole with $220 tickets instead of $130 per.