PDA

View Full Version : Will the NFL allow Ocho to Twitter during games?

stlrz d
07-07-2009, 07:39 PM
I say no.

RuthlessBurgher
07-07-2009, 07:44 PM
The fact that the league has to make a decision is proof positive of why the Bengals suck out loud. Would Rooney or Tomlin allow such a thing? Not a chance. There is a football game to win. If you are focused on anything else, you shouldn't be on the field. It wouldn't matter if the NFL okayed it...there is no way the Steelers would let it happen. That's the difference between the two organizations.

:bungalssuck

fezziwig
07-07-2009, 09:07 PM
The fact that the league has to make a decision is proof positive of why the Bengals suck out loud. Would Rooney or Tomlin allow such a thing? Not a chance. There is a football game to win. If you are focused on anything else, you shouldn't be on the field. It wouldn't matter if the NFL okayed it...there is no way the Steelers would let it happen. That's the difference between the two organizations.

Your exactly right. Here's my question, " why hasn't the light bulb turned on for the Bengals yet ? "

papillon
07-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Q: Will the NFL allow Ocho to Twitter during games?
A: Who cares?

I'm all for Ocho (and anyone else not in a Steeler uniform) doing anything but playing football during a game; let him Tweet or Twitter or flit or flitter; who gives a rat's @$$ what he does. He's an idiot.

Pappy

SteelBucks
07-08-2009, 07:16 AM
This guy's act has gotten old.

proudpittsburgher
07-08-2009, 08:41 AM

I'm all for Ocho (and anyone else not in a Steeler uniform) doing anything but playing football during a game; let him Tweet or Twitter or flit or flitter; who gives a rat's @$$ what he does. He's an idiot.

Pappy

Thank you pappy, for saying what I was thinking. Who cares.

MeetJoeGreene
07-08-2009, 10:48 AM

Pappy

EXACTLY!!! $$$$

I say make it a team decsion. And I hope every division rival lets their team do it.. and the Steelers don't.

The real question is .. could the Pats* figure out a new way to apply tweeting to cheating?

snarky
07-08-2009, 11:57 AM
I was expecting a soccer player would be the first to do this.

Ozey74
07-08-2009, 12:06 PM
This guy's act has gotten old.

I agree. He is no longer amusing.

MeetJoeGreene
07-08-2009, 12:47 PM

Because the game is so slow moving.. I agree.

:stirpot :lol:

Sugar
07-08-2009, 12:54 PM
What would be cool is if some former Steeler like the Bus or Woodson or someone could hang out on the sidelines with the team and twitter away. That would rock to get the scoop right from the sideline from someone with a players mindset that didn't actually have to play.

:2c

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2009, 01:06 PM
What would be cool is if some former Steeler like the Bus or Woodson or someone could hang out on the sidelines with the team and twitter away. That would rock to get the scoop right from the sideline from someone with a players mindset that didn't actually have to play.

We have former players as sideline reporters on TV now, and they contribute essentially nothing. Why would you expect that to be any different?

fezziwig
07-08-2009, 01:11 PM
What is twitter

snarky
07-08-2009, 01:29 PM

HAHA Well that's not exactly the reason. I just figured it was a matter of time before somebody like David Gerrard or Fernando Torres ran to the bench area and tweeted "Just scored a cracker from the top of the area" after a goal.

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2009, 01:33 PM

HAHA Well that's not exactly the reason. I just figured it was a matter of time before somebody like David Gerrard or Fernando Torres ran to the bench area and tweeted "Just scored a cracker from the top of the area" after a goal.

I don't know who David Gerrard is, but a couple of seasons ago, David Garrard could have twittered while running down the field about how great it is that holding rules don't apply to his o-lineman during 4th down runs in the 4th quarter of playoff games (you know, if Twitter was invented back then).

snarky
07-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Famous tweets in sports history:

Bill Buckner: Here comes the ball. Game over.

MeetJoeGreene
07-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Famous tweets in sports history:

Bill Buckner: Here comes the ball. Game over.

Now THAT is funny stuff ... we should start a thread with these but that one would be hard to top

Sugar
07-09-2009, 11:00 AM

We have former players as sideline reporters on TV now, and they contribute essentially nothing. Why would you expect that to be any different?

Because Tweeting isn't the same as having to cut to a sideline reporter. They can give real-time information in a sentence or two that's cool to get as opposed to having to wait until the network decides to go to the sideline.

phillyesq
07-09-2009, 02:18 PM
According to PFT, it looks like the league said "no" to the issue of in game tweeting. Apparently, there may still be a gray area with locker room tweeting:

League won't allow in-game tweeting
Posted by Mike Florio on July 9, 2009 11:02 AM

Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco recently expressed an intention to fully embrace the new technology known as Twitter, by posting updates to his page during regular-season games.

After catching wind of his vow, we asked the league whether in-game tweeting would be permitted. Initially, we were told that the league would look into it.

This morning, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello advised us of the league's position.

"We already have a rule that prohibits the use of cell phones or other handheld devices in the bench area during games," Aiello told us via e-mail.

Todd Wright of Sporting News Radio recently reminded us of that specific rule, which former Falcons coach Jim Mora violated on December 24, 2005 during a game against the Buccaneers.

We're now looking into whether this rule extends into the locker room at halftime. Our current guess is that such matters fall within the purview of the teams. (And, as we previously have noted, the Bengals might prefer to have Chad venting via Twitter instead of doing something like, say, applying a headlock to Hue Jackson or swinging fists with Marvin Lewis.)

Then there's the question of the potential penalty for in-game tweeting. It's a subject about which Chad already is concerned, since he posed the following question last night, on his Twitter page: "If I tweet during the game and they suspend me, would I get paid during my suspension since it's not a legal issue?"

As we pointed out in response to the tweet, he likely wouldn't be suspended for a first offense. Instead, he'd be fined. Mora, for example, had to pay $25,000 as a result of his in-game cellular call.

Then again, the league doesn't take kindly to guys who do things in defiance of a direct warning. So if Chad continues to talk about his intention to tweet during games and if the NFL at some point sends him a letter explaining that he should not do so, a suspension isn't out of the question.

And, yeah, he wouldn't be paid.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-09-2009, 05:53 PM
According to PFT, it looks like the league said "no" to the issue of in game tweeting. Apparently, there may still be a gray area with locker room tweeting:

League won't allow in-game tweeting
Posted by Mike Florio on July 9, 2009 11:02 AM

Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco recently expressed an intention to fully embrace the new technology known as Twitter, by posting updates to his page during regular-season games.

After catching wind of his vow, we asked the league whether in-game tweeting would be permitted. Initially, we were told that the league would look into it.

This morning, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello advised us of the league's position.

"We already have a rule that prohibits the use of cell phones or other handheld devices in the bench area during games," Aiello told us via e-mail.

Todd Wright of Sporting News Radio recently reminded us of that specific rule, which former Falcons coach Jim Mora violated on December 24, 2005 during a game against the Buccaneers.

We're now looking into whether this rule extends into the locker room at halftime. Our current guess is that such matters fall within the purview of the teams. (And, as we previously have noted, the Bengals might prefer to have Chad venting via Twitter instead of doing something like, say, applying a headlock to Hue Jackson or swinging fists with Marvin Lewis.)

Then there's the question of the potential penalty for in-game tweeting. It's a subject about which Chad already is concerned, since he posed the following question last night, on his Twitter page: "If I tweet during the game and they suspend me, would I get paid during my suspension since it's not a legal issue?"

As we pointed out in response to the tweet, he likely wouldn't be suspended for a first offense. Instead, he'd be fined. Mora, for example, had to pay $25,000 as a result of his in-game cellular call.

Then again, the league doesn't take kindly to guys who do things in defiance of a direct warning. So if Chad continues to talk about his intention to tweet during games and if the NFL at some point sends him a letter explaining that he should not do so, a suspension isn't out of the question.

And, yeah, he wouldn't be paid.

This guy's got it bass-ackwards. League rule or not, no Steeler coach, Tomlin included, would ever let his team slide down to a level where a player might even question whether it's a good idea to tweet during a game.

As someone posted earlier, this is what makes the Steelers the Steelers, and the other teams not!

stlrz d
07-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks Pennypacker! :P I knew the league wouldn't allow it.

And how selfish of Chad to wonder if he'd be paid while suspended for doing it anyway.

Jooser
07-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Chad's not happy about no-tweeting rule
Posted by Mike Florio on July 9, 2009 9:51 PM

We reported earlier today that the NFL won't allow in-game tweeting.

The question arose specifically because Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco has said that he plans to engage in some in-game tweeting.

And so Ochocinco isn't happy about the league's stance.

"Damn NFL and these rules," Ochocinco posted on his Twitter page earlier today. "I am going by my own set of rules, I ain't hurting nobody or getting in trouble, I am putting my foot down!!" :shock: :lol:

It's unclear what Chad will do to "put his foot down." If/when he does, our guess is that the Commissioner might "put his foot up" a certain clefted area of Chad's anatomy.

:roll: It's all about you Chad.

Jom112
07-10-2009, 10:02 AM
1. Chad is an idiot

2. Who says the Bengals will allow it?

Good try, Ocho.

But no one in his right mind thinks Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis or commissioner Roger Goodell (in that order) is going to allow Chad Ochocincoto tweet during games. On the field or in the locker room at halftime.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/h ... b86dac41bd (http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/history-all-a-twitter/be91668f-199b-43f0-ac58-f7b86dac41bd)

3. Some players you just can't control. I'm sure Cowher and Rooney didn't like what Joey Porter was doing before games. Didn't he get kicked out of a Cleveland game before it even started once?

Wolfhound45
07-10-2009, 08:59 PM
OchoStinko already is a twit. The NFL does not have to do anything to change that fact.