PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Info Please

Lebsteel
07-07-2009, 05:56 PM
My wife shocked me the other day while we were walking and asked me if we could go to the Steelers training camp this year. I was astonished. She just started watching games with me a few years ago and actually screamed at the TV more during the Super Bowl than I did. So, I have a few questions that have probably been asked and answered many times on this board previously, but I appreciate your patience. I was born and raised in NE PA, but have only driven thru the 'Burgh, so with that ignorance acknowledged, here are a few "rookie" questions:

1) Where are some good restaurants that serve Pittsburgh-unique food?
2) My wife wants to shop for Steeler gear, so where is the best place to go in the area?
3) Is downtown Pittsburgh worth touring through?
4) Where's the best photo shot of Heinz Field besides the blimp?
5) On August 7, there is a night practice at the High School field. Is it easy to get in to actually watch the practice or is it better to attend the 2:55 afternoon practices at St. Vincents? Are Saturday practices usually very crowded?
6) Would you recommend a hotel in the New Stanton-Greensburg area?

Thanks for any information you care to provide.

NKySteeler
07-07-2009, 06:25 PM
2) My wife wants to shop for Steeler gear, so where is the best place to go in the area?
5) On August 7, there is a night practice at the High School field. Is it easy to get in to actually watch the practice or is it better to attend the 2:55 afternoon practices at St. Vincents? Are Saturday practices usually very crowded?

Thanks for any information you care to provide.

Leb, there are obviously others more experienced than me for some of this info, but....

1. Don't know about "Pgh-unique" food in Latrobe, but I highly reccomend the Blue Angel restraunt at the Latrobe airport... Great food, and it's worth the stop.

2. Not sure there is much out in that area in Latrobe, but if you are like me, and will be driving across I-70, you can get off in Washington and hit the Steelers Store at South Hills. I believe it's rte 19, and is only about 20 minutes north of the interstate.

3. Not sure downtown is, but it's worth a trip over to Oakland where the Pitt campus is... You can hit the "O" and check-out the Cathedral of learning...

4. Take the incline and get a shot from Mt. Washington.

Lebsteel
07-07-2009, 09:52 PM
NKy, thanks for the information. The incline sounds like a great idea for a photo. I'll check into that. I'm looking forward to the camp. I think we might stay in the New Stanton area right off I-70. It doesn't look like that is too far from Latrobe.

Lebsteel
07-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Bump....I know this is a slow time of year on the board, but anyone else have any information for this training camp rookie?

pfelix73
07-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Hello,

Here's my :2c

As far as Latrobe goes.. I would go to the 3pm practices and would avoid the practice at night at the high schools. Did that a long time ago and will not do it anymore.....

You'll be able to get autographs easier at St. Vincents than at that high school in Greensburg.

Don't know of any restaurants in Latrobe, although there is a bar off of Route 30 that I hear some of the players frequent when they have the time. Forget the name, but it's across the street from the K-mart and the McDonald's.

Touring downtown Pittsburgh is worth it. It just depends on what you like to do. If you want to visit the nightclubs in the evenings, you'd be better off getting a taxi and letting your taxi driver take you to places. Some of those guys are pretty knowledgeable.

As far as getting cool pics- the inclines are a good idea.

A cool place to visit is Penn's Brewery. Although I think they were moving to another location.

As I think of more, I'll post....

http://www.pennbrew.com/

:tt1