PDA

View Full Version : ``Savran on Sportsbeat'' to be cancelled

NKySteeler
07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
This was posted earlier on a different message board....
---------------------------------

``Savran on Sportsbeat'' to be cancelled
By Bob Smizik | Tuesday 9:05 a.m.

``Savran on Sportsbeat, the longest running sports show in the Pittsburgh market, will leave the air permanently in the days ahead and the future of host Stan Savran at FSN Pittsburgh is in doubt.

Liberty Media, which has owned FSN for little more than a year, made the decision to cancel the show, which has been on the air since March 11, 1991, and then known as ``Sportsbeat.

Savran joined the show about a year later and for close to a decade teamed with Guy Junker. When Junker was fired in May of 2003, the show changed its name its current one a few months later.

Savran is believed to be working without a contract and could follow his show out the door. According to sources, he is currently engaged in negotiations. His contract either has expired or is about to expire.

Executives at FSN Pittsburgh did not immediately respond to requests for comments about the cancellation of ``Savran on Sportsbeat'' or the future of Savran.''

The decision to cancel the show, while shocking, still was not totally unexpected given the current economy and the lack of commitment to original programming that Liberty Media has shown. It has nothing to do with the job Savran was doing. Station management continues to hold him in the highest regard. Ratings have been as good or better than in the past.This was strictly financial.

Based on how it operates in other cities, Liberty stands strongly behind continuing to carry the games of its partners, the Penguins and Pirates, but wants little else in the way of programming. The station already has cutback in other original programming areas.

With Savran's show leaving the air, it will probably result in job reductions at FSN. Not only might Savran be out, but so could people who worked in the production end of the show.

For close to two decades, ``Sportsbeat'' and ``Savran on Sportsbeat'' has been the face of the station. Savran, who previously worked as a sports anchor at WTAE and at several radio stations as a talk-show host, has been the man whose opinions dedicated Steelers, Penguins and Pirates fans wanted to hear.

As Chuck Finder wrote in the Post-Gazette following the firing of Junker and the changing of the show's name;

``Fox Sports Net types are tinkering with the franchise that has been the channel's face, the channel's spirit and, outside of relatively fluctuating numbers for Penguins and Pirates broadcasts, the channel's ratings stability since its . . . inception.''

Savran, a native of Cleveland who has never lost his love of the Indians despite being a Pittsburgher for more than 30 years, began his Pittsburgh career at KQV in the mid-1970s and later did talks shows at WWSW (now Fox Sports Radio 970) and WTAE (now 1250 ESPN) in addition to reporting and anchoring at WTAE. Over the years, he built a loyal following based on tireless work and strong opinions.

After he left WTAE, his background and following made him the natural choice to take over ``Sportsbeat.'' In that role, he continued to develop a devoted following, which, thanks to satellite, stretched to Pittsburgh sports fans across the country.

He easily is the most trusted sports voice in Pittsburgh radio and television.

Savran will continue to co-host a 10 a.m. to noon talk show with Junker on 1250 ESPN.

RuthlessBurgher
07-07-2009, 06:17 PM
The lack of logic of these broadcast executives is mind-boggling to me.

People in the Pittsburgh market watch Savran. The advertising revenue is based off your viewership. They don't watch the 418th re-broadcast of the "The Worst Damn Sports Show in History's Special Edition Top 50 Plays of Guys Getting Hit in the Gonads with Flying Projectiles Starring John Salley."

This is about as dumb as when FSN decided to pull Mike Lange off their TV broadcast of Penguins games. Seriously, did any fan applaud that move? Even one? This is the same situation.

Save a few bucks on production costs, and kill your station by replaying they same mindless pseudo-entertainment that no one likes instead of intelligent sports talk. Brilliant, Mr. Stuffed Suit Executive...simply brilliant.

:roll:

Eddie Spaghetti
07-07-2009, 06:34 PM
thats bullsheet.

living in tennessee, it was nice to have that little "local" connection to the city/scene. i may be in the minority, but ikes corner really made me want to pull for #24. it was kind of like watching ike grow up a little bit. always looked forward to those segments. stan and tunch were really good together too. jesus christ, what the hell are they thinking.

terrible decision.

Jooser
07-07-2009, 06:34 PM

People in the Pittsburgh market watch Savran. The advertising revenue is based off your viewership. They don't watch the 418th re-broadcast of the "The Worst Damn Sports Show in History's Special Edition Top 50 Plays of Guys Getting Hit in the Gonads with Flying Projectiles Starring John Salley."

This is about as dumb as when FSN decided to pull Mike Lange off their TV broadcast of Penguins games. Seriously, did any fan applaud that move? Even one? This is the same situation.

Save a few bucks on production costs, and kill your station by replaying they same mindless pseudo-entertainment that no one likes instead of intelligent sports talk. Brilliant, Mr. Stuffed Suit Executive...simply brilliant.

Tell us how you really feel.... :shock:

fezziwig
07-07-2009, 09:10 PM
They admit the program is a success but yet, they want to pull it. Another one of my football fixes down the drain.

Herewegosteelers!
07-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Stan is the man. I've watched all these years, when it was Sportsbeat before. As you guys have said, no logic in this decision!

papillon
07-07-2009, 10:59 PM

Hey, hey, hey, easy on us stuffed suits, sometimes we get it right, not this time though. :P

Pappy

NKySteeler
07-07-2009, 11:15 PM
This show was one of the reasons I bought the Sports Pack from Directv each football season, along with the other Steelers programming thet aired... For the past 4 years I had called in during what the fanidiots over here in Cincy called "Steelers week" (when the Steelers played here in Cincinnati), and gave local commentary towards what was being said here locally....

I, as well, have been watching the show for many many years.... I loved listening to Stan, and liked Guy when he was on-air as well... I don't understand the decision to pull the show, but it appears to be the "norm" recently with sports talk shows... Here in Cincy, the same thing has happened with both tv as well as radio, with shows being cancelled and on-air personalities losing their jobs...

Stan is originally from Cleveland, and I can't even stand the thought of him returning home to continue his career from a different perspective.... He was definitely a "voice" of Pittsburgh sports that I listened to, and liked.

SteelBucks
07-07-2009, 11:41 PM
thats bullsheet.

living in tennessee, it was nice to have that little "local" connection to the city/scene. i may be in the minority, but ikes corner really made me want to pull for #24. it was kind of like watching ike grow up a little bit. always looked forward to those segments. stan and tunch were really good together too. jesus christ, what the hell are they thinking.

terrible decision.

I also enjoyed To The Max (Talbot's segments during the Pens season) and I'll definitely miss Tunch's breakdown of each game. The sports round tables were priceless. This absolutely blows!

"Stan, Love the Show"......

GreggyDigital
07-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Damn.

I actually got on the air once and asked a question about Carey Davis.

I'll miss the show.

MeetJoeGreene
07-08-2009, 10:37 AM
That really sucks.

Stan is the man.

SteelerNation1
07-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Complete crap.

pfelix73
07-08-2009, 12:04 PM
This is a bad decision and will come back to bit them in the 'you know where'

I hate the direction that Corporate America in general is taking this country of ours.

No customer service, no common sense, no brains, no morals.

However-

Go Steelers!

:tt1

Mister Pittsburgh
07-08-2009, 12:16 PM
I watch Sportsbeat religiously. This is very upsetting news to me. Stan is the man. First they breakup the dynamic duo of Stan & Guy, then they fire Mike Lange, and now Stan gets the axe. F'ing A-Holes!

Jigawatts
07-08-2009, 12:21 PM
This is about as dumb as when FSN decided to pull Mike Lange off their TV broadcast of Penguins games.

I still don't get that one. :HeadBanger

And this is another stupid move. :wft

Oviedo
07-08-2009, 01:05 PM
As an "out of towner" who has Direct TV Liberty has pretty much taken away any reason what-so-ever to watch FSN Pittsburgh. Do they really think anyone really watches the other :"filler" garbage they have on that channel? I already can't watch the Pirates or Penguins on FSN Pittsburgh unless I pay for the MLB package (which I don't) or NHL Center Ice (which I do). Therefore having "Pittsburgh" at the end of the name is really meaningless.

I'll probably never watch that channel again because I can no longer get local Pittsburgh sports news and insights.

pfelix73
07-08-2009, 01:20 PM
If they really want to save some $, maybe they should just close the channel down completely.

Who will advertise with them if everybody is gonna go elsewhere to get their news?

NKySteeler
07-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I'll probably never watch that channel again because I can no longer get local Pittsburgh sports news and insights.

While I echo your sentiments completely, isn't there still some worthwhile programs on there?

... Pgh Sports Tonight on Sunday nights with Tunch and Craig, recapping the game action... Does Tomlin do a weekly show? I know Cowher had one, but I don't recall Tomlin doing one... Also, I think there are other odd shows here and there for the Steelers, but can't think of them at this time.

My big question will be Tomlin's weekly PC.... It was always blacked-out for the original airing, but Sportsbeat always re-broadcast it that evening... What now?

While I also don't see much use for that channel with this change, I'll probably still have it because the Sports Pack from Directv also carries several college games each Saturday that are otherwise unavailable.

steelmann58
07-08-2009, 08:13 PM
this suxs how are the Fans outside the Burgh will get their steelers info.
especially live from latrobe

SteelBucks
07-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Apparently Liberty is getting a ton of complaints about the shows cancellation. If anyone else wants to add to their Inbox:

"Here is a Liberty Media phone number to register complaints: 720-875-5400. Here is a web address for Liberty Media: http://www.libertymedia.com/contact-us.aspx.

pfelix73
07-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Tunch and Craig aren't on there anymore. They used to be on that show at 10pm on Sundays, but that show was canned last year.

calmkiller
07-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I use to watch it when I lived in Morgantown, but haven't seen the show since I graduated college. I get DC channels here as local channels so its useless. This won't effect me but sucks to know its not out there.

SteelBucks
07-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Tunch and Craig aren't on there anymore. They used to be on that show at 10pm on Sundays, but that show was canned last year.

Wolfley was no longer on but Tunch was on Monday's.

RuthlessBurgher
07-09-2009, 01:10 PM

Wolfley was no longer on but Tunch was on Monday's.

Tunch was on Stan's show with his Tunch-a-Strator, but they were talking about that separate locker room show in which Tunch and Wolf would talk Steeler ball after games.

SteelBucks
07-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Sportsbeat is gone but Savran is staying with FSN. Good to hear they are still going to broadcast Mike Tomlin's press conference and show.....

Savran re-signs with FSN Pittsburgh

By Bob Smizik | Friday 4:30 p.m.

His signature show, ``Savran on SportsBeat,'' is leaving the air, but Stan Savran will continue on FSN Pittsburgh as the station's primary host for Penguins and Pirates pre-game shows. He also will continue to host the ``MikeTomlin Press Conference'' and ``The Mike Tomlin Show.''

As was reported here first on Tuesday,``Savran on SportsBeat,'' which originally was called, ``SportsBeat,'' will leave the air after an 18-year run. The final show is Monday at 6:30. It will run for two hours.

In a prepared statement, Savran said, ``While ``Sportsbeat'' has come to an end, I'm not going anywhere. I'll continue to provide my insight and perspective on the Pirates and Penguins during FSN pre-game shows. I've spent nearly half of my professional life at this regional sports network, and I'd like to end my career, whenever that may be, right here.''

The station said it ``will transition from a week night local sports program to an increased focus on the production of live games and shows surrounding the games and teams.''

steelmann58
07-12-2009, 08:05 PM
this is a joke where is the Steelers stuff like the steelers at training camp and the shows on Monday withe the review of sunday game. good use of Pens and Pirates but no Steelers stuff