PDA

View Full Version : Ask the Steelers: Frank "The Tank" Summers Edition

RuthlessBurgher
07-07-2009, 10:15 AM
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2009/05/29/10/Smmers_Frank_105626.jpg

http://news.steelers.com/article/105669/

Wednesday, July 1, 2009
ASK THE STEELERS – FRANK SUMMERS – PART 1

Steelers.com brings you the Ask the Steelers feature. Fans submitted the questions that were asked. Please understand that we receive an incredible number of questions for each player, with many of the questions being similar, and not all of the questions can be answered. We selected as many as possible, and took your questions to the current subject to get your answers.

From Paul Highfield in Pennsylvania” Can you be the team’s short yardage back and are you up for fighting for that spot?
Frank Summers: I look at myself as fighting for a roster spot period, whether it’s the short yardage spot, special teams, fullback, any spot I can get on the bus and on this team I am more than willing to fulfill that role.

From Laurie Burns in Mississippi: How much of a role will special teams play for you early on?
Frank Summers: I think it will be a huge role. I am looking forward to the opportunity. I love special teams. It’s a game-changing play, whether you are receiving or kicking. I love making big plays and on special teams there are always big plays. I am looking forward to it.

From Jory Dille in Texas: You mentioned that short yardage situations require determination for success. Do you feel that an offensive player’s determination will persevere over the defensive player’s determination in a goal line situation since the offensive player has the end zone as a target?
Frank Summers: I consider myself a defensive player playing offense, just running with the ball. I have the same attitude and nastiness defensive players have when I am running with the ball. I love the contact. I love the physicality of the game. I look forward to it. I look forward to playing big power guys who pride themselves on being real physical.

From Tim Houle in Massachusetts: Would you liken yourself in any way to Jerome Bettis’ style, quickness or overall ability as a big tailback?
Frank Summers: I am not going to make that comparison. He did great things here at this place, won a Super Bowl and is probably a one day Hall of Famer. I can’t compare myself. That is not my place. I just need to make this team, one way or another.

From Maureen Carr in Florida: How did you get your nickname?
Frank Summers: My mother gave it to me when I was born. I started playing football and it stuck with me the whole way through. It was a coincidence that I had the name. It just stuck with me.
From Jack Marks in California: What was your best game in college and why does that game stand out?
Frank Summers: It was the Utah game my junior year. I had three touchdowns and 200 yards rushing. I got conference player of the week. That game was special to me because it was a shutout game for us. I achieved great things as an individual as well as a team and that’s a game I will never forget. My senior season it had to be the Arizona State game. They were the No. 12 team in the country. We had no chance. Everyone was looking past us and we went out and pulled the upset. It was another explosion game for me. I had 100 plus yards. It was another breakout game.

From Ben Samuels in Ohio: Did you get a lot out of the OTA’s, how much do they help?
Frank Summers: It’s like spring ball in college. Being here able to work with the coaches, with Willie (Parker), he is helped me out a lot. Hopefully by the time I get to camp I am fitting in with the others guys, knowing my assignments, knowing what to do and just being able to play football like I know how to do.

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2009/05/29/10/Smmers_handoff_105627.jpg

http://news.steelers.com/article/105670/

Monday, July 6, 2009
ASK THE STEELERS – FRANK SUMMERS – PART 2

Steelers.com brings you the Ask the Steelers feature. Fans submitted the questions that were asked. Please understand that we receive an incredible number of questions for each player, with many of the questions being similar, and not all of the questions can be answered. We selected as many as possible, and took your questions to the current subject to get your answers.

From Paul Jefferson in New York: What was draft day like for you, waiting for the phone to ring?
Frank Summers: It was okay. I had a feeling where I had a chance at going. My gut feeling told me where it was going to be and when it was going to be. It was pretty calm for me.

From Rita Lloyd in Pennsylvania: What was your first reaction when you learned you were going to be the newest Pittsburgh Steeler?
Frank Summers: I was just excited. I felt very fortunate, blessed and honored. I was trying to let it all sink in.

From Mark James in Ohio: What was it like to see the six Super Bowl trophies for the first time?
Frank Summers: I thought, wow, I’ve got to get one. I’ve got to be a part of one.

From Larry Bower in Florida: Is there more pressure coming to a Super Bowl champion or less because you don’t have to be a savior?
Frank Summers: It’s the same. For one I am trying to make the team as a rookie and fifth round pick, and trying to help this team build on the legacy and dynasty of the 2000s. I am really just trying to fit in and be a role player and try to help any and everywhere possible.

From Shane Gorham in Illinois: Do you feel any added pressure to perform better given the great history of Steelers power backs?
Frank Summers: Yes and no. I feel the pressure to come in and perform and live up to everyone’s expectations, including my own. I want to make sure everyone knows no one has higher expectations for me, than me. I put that pressure on myself. I just want to be that guy that the coaches drafted and they thought they were getting, so they can look back and say we got the guy we wanted and needed.

From Matthew Vargo in Nevada: Do you see yourself able to play in the cold weather of Pittsburgh?
Frank Summers: There is going to be an adjustment. I am coming from 110 degree heat. Does it get negative temperatures here? Oh boy. It’s going to be an adjustment. But I don’t care what I am playing in. When I take the field at Heinz Field my momentum, energy and excitement will heat me up to where it’s a perfect sunny day. I am looking forward to playing in any weather, any degree heat as long as I am in Pittsburgh Steelers colors, black and gold.

From Josh Velush in Connecticut: What are you looking forward to most as the season is about to start?
Frank Summers: For right now to have all of my plays down and know all of my assignments. Once I learn the playbook it will become football all over again and you let your athleticism and instincts take over. The biggest thing going into the season is know my plays, my responsibilities so I can just play free.

papillon
07-07-2009, 10:19 AM
The Steelers do one hell of a job vetting the players that they will draft based on their character. Summers' response about replacing or taking the Jerome Bettis role is quite astonishing coming from a 22 year kid.

Wow... :Bow to Frank "The Tank"

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
07-07-2009, 10:33 AM
The Steelers do one hell of a job vetting the players that they will draft based on their character. Summers' response about replacing or taking the Jerome Bettis role is quite astonishing coming from a 22 year kid.

Pappy

I agree, great attitude all around. Seems like he has great determination, character, and maturity. I hope it translates into making the team and production...

papillon
07-07-2009, 10:36 AM

Pappy

I agree, great attitude all around. Seems like he has great determination, character, and maturity. I hope it translates into making the team and production...

It would be difficult not to succeed in some fashion with those qualities as part of your character and attitude. That's why the Steelers do things the way they do.

Pappy

hellbanger
07-07-2009, 03:19 PM
for some reason im pulling for him more than any of the other draft picks. Cant explain why. The Steelers have this way of finding diamonds in the rough and i think The Tank will shine at least on special teams.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-07-2009, 03:46 PM
i love this kids attitude.

if he knock davis off the roster, i'm buying his jersey.

feelthesteel
07-08-2009, 12:36 PM
First and goal-send in the TANK
:Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs

fezziwig
07-08-2009, 01:14 PM
I hope I'm wrong, I have a feeling he won't make the team. I do like his attitude.

Ghost
07-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Great responses. Should be fun to watch in those initial preseason games when they give him carries and see if he punch it through on short yardage situations.

Anyone know how his hands are considered coming out of the backfield for a quick dump and run (or plow...)?

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Great responses. Should be fun to watch in those initial preseason games when they give him carries and see if he punch it through on short yardage situations.

Anyone know how his hands are considered coming out of the backfield for a quick dump and run (or plow...)?

In 2 years at UNLV, he had 36 catches for 402 yards and 6 TD's through the air to go with his 385 rushes for 1,668 yards and 14 TD's on the ground.

"The guys that I've talked to -- the other running back coaches -- have all said he might be one of the more difficult guys to tackle that they've seen on film this year," Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson told the Las Vegas Review-Journal following Summer's pro day in early March. "You don't see that (good receiving ability) of a big man much."

Oviedo
07-08-2009, 03:42 PM

Won't buy his jersey but Davis off the roster would be a very good thing.

RBs this year: FWP, Rashard, Mewelde and "The Tank"

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2009, 03:46 PM

Yup...the fact that McHugh can be 3rd TE/H-back/FB saves us a roster spot for another corner, so we can keep Taylor, Gay, Townsend, Lewis, Burnett, and Ratliff. No need for Davis when McHugh and/or Summers can share the FB role and also play special teams.

Oviedo
07-08-2009, 03:52 PM

Yup...the fact that McHugh can be 3rd TE/H-back/FB saves us a roster spot for another corner, so we can keep Taylor, Gay, Townsend, Lewis, Burnett, and Ratliff. No need for Davis when McHugh and/or Summers can share the FB role and also play special teams.

I really don't think we will have ae FB anytime soon. I agre that McHugh is the TE/FB and I think since that has become a hybrid position in this offense that also opens the door for this year 7th Round pick David Johnson or Dezmond Sherrod from last year's PS to make this team as a second hybrid TE/FB. Both are big bodies who can catch but also can block and are probably a little lightweight for Heath Miller and Spaeth type TE duties.