PDA

View Full Version : It's funny to read some AFC North predictions one year later

RuthlessBurgher
07-06-2009, 01:54 PM
From James Walker's AFC North blog on ESPN.com:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-3-129/Remember-last-year-.html

Remember last year?

July 3, 2009 4:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

This is just another friendly reminder of how much difference one year can make in the AFC North for the Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers.

Below is another sample of what ESPN.com readers were saying about the division last summer.

Enjoy.

"Big, big year with Ben Utecht. He gives the Bengals a 2WR + TE formation that will put up a TON of yards."

"Chad Johnson, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Ben Utecht, Antonio Chatman, second-rounder Jerome Simpson, third-rounder Andre Caldwell, a healthy Rudi Johnson, a healthy Chris Perry and the best pass blocking O-Line in the NFL... Cincinnati's offense will be in the top 10 -- no question."

"If Martin Rucker translates his college game into the pros then Braylon Edwards, Donte' Stallworth, Kellen Winslow and Rucker would be the sickest combination of receivers in the league!"

"Look up the road to the Dawg Pound for the best o-line in football."

"I love Steeler fans. They talk as though what happened in 1988 (a year the Browns happened to make the playoffs, by the way) has any relevance on what will happen in the 2008 season. Similarly, your Super Bowl rings mean absolutely jack to what will happen this year."

"Kyle Boller will start against the Bengals [in Week 1]. Troy Smith is a hoax and even Lloyd's of London won't insure Joe Flacco is he goes behind the Ravens putrid offensive line."

"It really doesn't matter who starts at quarterback for the Ravens. There isn't a quality tackle on the offensive line, and whoever is back there is going to get killed."

"As a Bengals fan, I hope the controversy in Baltimore over their sorry list of QBs continues until the day before opening day. With a terrible offensive line and two aging corners and one suspended [Fabian Washington] the Bengals will be toasting them all day long in the passing game. The Ravens are a few years away from contending for our [Bengals] AFC North crown this year."

"Flacco may start later in the season, but he is not ready yet. It would be a big mistake to get him under center so early."

"I have had the opportunity to watch Braylon Edwards at two practices this season, including Friday's Family Night at Browns Stadium. I can't help but notice there is something different about Edwards this year, an intangible. His performances so far that I have witnessed have been exceptional. Also, looking surprisingly solid has been reserve quarterback Ken Dorsey."

"It's extremely unlikely anyone in the AFC North will win 11 games this year."

"I will tell you what, let's play some Madden and then talk trash later."

"Enjoy your No. 1 schedule. I'll enjoy watching the league pound Pittsburgh into the ground."

"Where are all these Browns fans coming from? I'll give it two more years."

"The Browns do not have a single rookie starting this year!! The Steelers will be lucky to go 6-10 this year. I just hope the Browns win the North by four games over the Steelers because I don't want to read about all the good teams the Steelers had to play. BROWNS 11-5, BUNGLES 8-8, RATBIRDS 8-8, STEELERS 6-10."

:tt2 :tt1 :brownssuck :bungalssuck :ratsuck :lol:

ramblinjim
07-06-2009, 01:57 PM
I love this stuff.

Jigawatts
07-06-2009, 02:08 PM
I love the one about Braylon Edwards. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oviedo
07-06-2009, 03:40 PM
This is the time of the year where the Ratbirds, Bumgals and Stains fans get to live their little delusions but at the end of the season it will be:

Steelers 11-5 and AFC North Champs...again!!!!
Bumgals 9-7
Ratbirds 8-8
Stains 6-10

The rest of the foolish fans from these other teams hate the Steelers so much because they know however much they hope the inevitable will happen again.

Uncle Rico
07-06-2009, 04:20 PM
This is the time of the year where the Ratbirds, Bumgals and Stains fans get to live their little delusions but at the end of the season it will be:

Steelers 11-5 and AFC North Champs...again!!!!
Bumgals 9-7
Ratbirds 8-8
Stains 6-10

The rest of the foolish fans from these other teams hate the Steelers so much because they know however much they hope the inevitable will happen again.
My gut feeling right now about the AFC North is that the Steelers are going to be really good next season, maybe 14-2. My other gut feeling is that the Browns are going to be horrible just like the Lions were last season, say 2-14 at best. As for the other two teams they will both probably enjoy a solid season of mediocrity.

Iron Shiek
07-06-2009, 04:20 PM
This stuff is always funny. Its one thing to see fans comments/prediction. How about the articles I posted from Pro Football Weekly prior to the season. These guys get paid to know about football, yet several of their editors and staff picked Steelers to be 3rd and even 4th in the division. Just goes to show, nobody has a crystal ball.

I'm too lazy to look it up in the archives, but its out there somewhere.

Iron Shiek
07-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Ahh...double post...sorry. Anyway, I wasn't as lazy as i thought...here they go:

Really Hub Arukush? Wrong direction huh?

AFC North

1. Cleveland — DBs scary, but all those weapons on offense. Don’t be surprised if Quinn ends up on field.
2. Pittsburgh — Looks to me like a club headed in wrong direction.
3. Cincinnati — At what point do you stop looking at all the bad actors and focus on the coach?
4. Baltimore — Hard to doubt Ozzie Newsome, but trading up for Joe Flacco? How is this club better?

Keith Schleiden, editor in chief:
1. Cleveland — Do these Dawgs have more bark than bite? Nope. They’re the real deal.
2. Cincinnati — Bengals will wind up with a familiar 8-8 record.
3. Pittsburgh — Here’s hoping this isn’t the final year of Steelers ownership for the Rooney family.
4. Baltimore — Too many questions on offense for John Harbaugh’s club to surprise.

Smart man Mike Holbrook:
1. Pittsburgh — Need O-line to cut down on sacks allowed, Troy Polamalu to stay healthy.
2. Cleveland — Not a fan of Derek Anderson; want to see them prove last season was start of a trend.
3. Cincinnati — Success again will rest on Carson Palmer’s powerful arm, but he only can do so much.
4. Baltimore — New coaching staff a plus, but QB situation not good enough to lift team out of cellar.

Same with Dan Arkush:
1. Pittsburgh — “Big Ben” has what it takes to overcome tough schedule and carry team into playoffs.
2. Cleveland — They’ll be in the hunt, but I really think “sexy pick” Browns are greatly overrated.
3. Cincinnati — Defense must be a lot better for Bengals to contend. Lewis could finally lose job if they don’t.
4. Baltimore — Offense looks like it could be a major work in progress.

Die Nolan Nawrocki!
1. Cleveland — More big bodies on defense, bevy of offensive playmakers help Crennel capture division.
2. Baltimore — Questions at QB and protecting passer could negate coaching talent, aggressive defense.
3. Cincinnati — Ownership is its own biggest enemy and will struggle to field .500 team regardless of coach.
4. Pittsburgh — NFL’s toughest schedule, declining O-line, soft backfield bring Tomlin’s sophomore slump.

And you Eric Edholm:
1. Cincinnati — Sure, a few things have to break right, but I have a feeling they’ll surprise people.
2. Cleveland — The hype doesn’t quite lead up to wins as defense is still a step behind the offense.
3. Pittsburgh — Nasty schedule, questions on O-line have me second-guessing Steelers’ potential.
4. Baltimore — Veterans, good coaching could lead to a competitive team to watch … in 2009.

Discipline of Steel
07-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Die Nolan Nawrocki!
1. Cleveland — More big bodies on defense, bevy of offensive playmakers help Crennel capture division.
2. Baltimore — Questions at QB and protecting passer could negate coaching talent, aggressive defense.
3. Cincinnati — Ownership is its own biggest enemy and will struggle to field .500 team regardless of coach.
4. Pittsburgh — NFL’s toughest schedule, declining O-line, soft backfield bring Tomlin’s sophomore slump.

or any event that brings his contributions to a swift conclusion. :Agree

Chachi
07-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Forget about going alllll the way back to last preseason, what about the predictions and after the fact revisionist history of the playoffs during SB week.

Before the Divisional round of the playoffs, the conventional wisdom was "The speedy Sproles will run all over the Steelers and Rivers will pick them apart. This is the Chargers year"

Before the AFCC game, "Flacco is the real deal. The Steelers have an abysmal home record in AFCC games. The Raven's D will shut down Roethlisberger. They will be lucky to come out of this alive, let alone with the win."

Yet, during SB week?

"The Steelers had one of the easiest roads to the SB having only had to beat an 8-8 team and a rookie QB."

WWHHHAAAAAAATT??????? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :shock:

VirgilBosett
07-07-2009, 08:30 AM
The funniest was former Bronco, and current ESPN guy Mark Schlareth (sorry on the spelling). I usually like Mark, but he claimed that Baltimore would win big by saying something like they would bludgeon the Steelers at Heinz Field in the AFCCG.

I'm a little shaky on the details, but that one is just laughable.

fezziwig
07-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Is there anyway of sending these articles back to these Bozo's ? I would love to hear how they would defend their words.

Starlifter
07-08-2009, 09:18 PM
football analyst is the easiest job in tv. no one remembers anything you say and you never are held accountable for your information or opinions.

stlrz d
07-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Is there anyway of sending these articles back to these Bozo's ? I would love to hear how they would defend their words.

football analyst is the easiest job in tv. no one remembers anything you say and you never are held accountable for your information or opinions.

Those comments are from ESPN posters and the posts appeared on James Walker's AFCN blog.

Basically they're from 12 year olds talking trash to one another on teh interwebz.

fezziwig
07-08-2009, 09:51 PM
thanks, it sounded more like a rant than from a professional.

stlrz d
07-08-2009, 10:00 PM
thanks, it sounded more like a rant than from a professional.

:P That's why whenever I post a link to a story on JW's blog I always remind folks NOT to read the comments!