07-04-2009, 05:06 PM
tragic...

lost for words...

BATMAN
07-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Horrible news, just horrible.

AngryAsian
07-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Completely tragic. This guy was a class act and was an asset to the league for many years. This is sad.

BURGH86STEEL
07-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Mcnair seemed like a good guy. Pretty sad. I wonder if it is a similar situation to Sean Taylor.

MeetJoeGreene
07-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Awful. I can't help but think when I hear of things like this that there was something untoward going on.

phillyesq
07-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Wow.

That is terrible news.

ramblinjim
07-04-2009, 08:14 PM
awful news. sorry to hear it.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I had to marvel at his toughness. In many games that that I watched, he would take some nasty hits but just keep competing. In his prime, he was one of the NFL's best.

RIP.

calmkiller
07-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Early reports say that Steve and his Girl Friend were both killed. Only problem with that is his wife wasn't killed....

It is a very sad day. Great Player.

pfelix73
07-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Never liked the guy, personally, but it is tragic news....

Oh well.... RIP.

RuthlessBurgher
07-04-2009, 11:22 PM
This guy was perhaps the best QB that we faced within our own division in decades. Between him and Warren Moon at QB, the Oilers/Titans were always a tough battle for us in the old AFC Central. I'd take McNair over many of the other QB's we've faced in our division in the past few decades, including Kosar, Esiason, Brunell, Dilfer, Palmer, and Flacco. He was one of the toughest of tough guys to have played the QB position in this league (even though the last time I saw him in person on the football field he was getting continually pummelled in the 75th Anniversary Game at Heinz Field when James Harrison had the defensive game of a lifetime with all of the Steeler greats on hand).

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0417/nfl_mcnair4panel_580.jpg

Chachi
07-04-2009, 11:24 PM
More like Holy S-h-i-t Wow!

Wolfhound45
07-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Rest in peace.

SteelBucks
07-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Early reports say that Steve and his Girl Friend were both killed. Only problem with that is his wife wasn't killed....

From some reports, it's beginning to look like a murder-suicide by his "girlfriend".

I remember watching him play in college. Just terrible news.

Jooser
07-05-2009, 06:41 AM
details from Yahoo news....

Ex-NFL QB Steve McNair, woman found slain in Tenn.
AP

By KRISTIN M. HALL, Associated Press Writer Kristin M. Hall, Associated Press Writer 26 mins ago

NASHVILLE, Tenn. Police were working Sunday to unravel the relationship between slain former NFL quarterback Steve McNair and his friend, a 20-year-old woman who was found shot to death alongside him in his downtown condominium.

McNair, who led the famous Tennessee Titans' drive that came a yard short of forcing overtime in the 2000 Super Bowl, was found dead on a sofa in the living room Saturday with multiple gunshot wounds, including one to the head. His friend, Sahel Kazemi, was very close to him on the floor, killed by a single gunshot. A pistol was discovered near her, but police said it took a while to find the firearm.

Authorities didn't immediately say who was to blame for the killings, but they weren't looking for any suspects.

McNair, 36, and Kazemi were together just two days earlier, when she was pulled over driving a 2007 Escalade registered to her and McNair. She was arrested on a DUI charges, and he was allowed to leave in a taxi.

McNair and Kazemi apparently knew each other from a restaurant the quarterback and his family frequented, but workers there wouldn't talk about their relationship. Police also refused to release any details about their relationship, simply calling Kazemi a "friend."

Autopsies were planned for Sunday.

Police spokesman Don Aaron said McNair's wife, Mechelle, is "very distraught."

"At this juncture, we do not believe she is involved," he said. "Nothing has been ruled out, but as far as actively looking for a suspect tonight, the answer would be no."

Fred McNair, Steve McNair's oldest brother, said some family members likely will travel to Nashville on Monday to consult with Mechelle.

"It's still kind of hard to believe," Fred McNair said. "He was the greatest person in the world. He gave back to the community. He loved kids and he wanted to be a role model to kids."

He said he did not know who Kazemi was.

The bodies were discovered by McNair's longtime friend, Wayne Neeley, who rents the condo with McNair. Neeley told authorities he went into the condo, saw McNair and Kazemi, but walked first into the kitchen before going back into the living room.

Neeley then called a friend, who alerted authorities.

Police said a witness saw McNair arrive at the condo in the upscale Rutledge Hill neighborhood between 1:30 and 2 a.m. Saturday and that Kazemi's vehicle was already there. The condominium is located within walking distance of an area filled with restaurants and nightspots, a few blocks from the Cumberland River and within view of the Titans' stadium.

An arrest affidavit from Thursday said Kazemi had bloodshot eyes and alcohol on her breath when she was pulled over, but refused a breathalyzer test, saying "she was not drunk, she was high."

McNair and his family frequented the restaurant where Kazemi was a waitress, according employees and patrons of Dave & Buster's in Nashville. Keith Norfleet, Kazemi's ex-boyfriend, told The Tennessean newspaper that McNair and Kazemi met at the restaurant.

"She was reliable 90 percent of the time," manager Chris Truelove said of Kazemi. "She was pretty outgoing. A lot of the guests liked being around her, and she liked being around the guests."

Co-worker Shantez Jobe, 33, she said was friends with Kazemi.

"We talked about who had more fashion sense, and who was the cutest, and who could get more boys, you know some of the stuff girls do," Jobe said.

In June, McNair opened a restaurant near the Tennessee State University campus. It was closed Saturday evening, but had become a small memorial, where flowers, candles and notes had been placed outside the door.

McNair, a four-time Pro Bowl selection, led the Titans to the 2000 Super Bowl, which they lost 23-16 to the St. Louis Rams. He was co-MVP of the NFL with Colts quarterback Peyton Manning in 2003. He also played for the Baltimore Ravens before retiring in April 2008.

His most notable moment came in the 2000 Super Bowl. With the Titans trailing by seven, he led the team 87 yards in the final minute and 48 seconds, only to come up a yard short of a touchdown. Kevin Dyson caught his 9-yard pass, but was tackled at the 1-yard line by the Rams' Mike Jones.

McNair accounted for all of Tennessee's yards in that drive, throwing for 48 yards and rushing for 14. The rest of the yardage came on penalties against the Rams. Before that, he brought the Titans back from a 16-0 deficit to tie the game.

"If you were going to draw a football player, the physical part, the mental part, everything about being a professional, he is your guy," former Ravens and Titans teammate Samari Rolle said. "I can't even wrap my arms around it."

McNair grew up in rural Mount Olive, Miss., and became a nationally known college football star playing for Alcorn State, a Division I-AA school in his home state. He was so dominant in the Southwestern Athletic Conference, he became a Heisman Trophy contender. National media flocked to little Lorman in the southwest corner of the Magnolia state to get a look at "Air McNair." He still holds the Division I-AA (now known as Football Championship Subdivision) records for career yards passing (14,496) and total offense (16,823).

McNair was the third overall draft pick in 1995 by the Houston Oilers, who eventually became the Titans. He finished his career with 31,304 yards passing and 174 touchdowns. McNair's rugged style led to numerous injuries and aches. He played with pain for several years, and the injuries ultimately forced him to retire.

"On the field, there isn't a player that was as tough as him, especially at the quarterback position," the Ravens' Derrick Mason said.

During a five-game stretch at the end of the 2002 season, McNair was so bruised he couldn't practice. But he started all five games and won them, leading the Titans to an 11-5 record and a berth in the AFC championship game for the second time in four seasons.

McNair played all 16 games in 2006, his first season in Baltimore, and guided the Ravens to a 13-3 record. But he injured his groin during the season opener in 2007 and never regained the form that put him in those Pro Bowls.

Jooser
07-05-2009, 12:34 PM
latest reports suggest his girlfriend probably killed him and then turned the gun on herself....

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... eport.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2009/07/04/2009-07-04_former_nfl_quarterback_steve_mcnair_found_shot_ dead_in_nashville_report.html)

Retired NFL QB Steve McNair killed in murder-suicide by 20-year-old woman

BY Rich Schapiro
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Saturday, July 4th 2009, 4:59 PM
Jasienski/Getty

Quarterback Steve McNair #9 of the Baltimore Ravens has reportedly been found shot dead in his Nashville home.

Former NFL star quarterback Steve McNair was found dead with multiple gunshot wounds in a Nashville condominium Saturday - and authorities hinted he was murdered by a girlfriend who then turned the gun on herself.

Cops discovered McNair's bullet-riddled body slumped on a sofa inside his rented condo's blood-spattered living room, authorities said.

A woman McNair was reportedly dating, identified as Sahel Kazemi, 20, was found dead only a few feet away with a single bullet wound to the head. A gun was lying nearby, Nashville police said.

"At this moment nothing has been ruled out, but as far as actively looking for a suspect tonight, the answer would be no," Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron said.

It remained unclear what might have triggered the slaying, Aaron added.

McNair, 36, who was married and had four children, had reportedly been dating Kazemi for a few months. They met at a Dave & Buster's restaurant where Kazemi worked, her former boyfriend told the Tennessean newspaper.

Neighbors of Kazemi told the paper they often spotted McNair visiting her apartment. At times, she returned home in a black limousine, and not long ago, she showed up with a brand new Cadillac Escalade she said was a gift from her boyfriend.

"She is the sweetest girl, and she did not deserve this," Kazemi's ex-beau, Keith Norfleet, told the newspaper upon learning of her death. "He was making her believe they were going to be together, and everything would be perfect." :roll:

Cops were alerted to the deaths by a longtime friend of the ex-Tennessee Titans great after he walked into the grisly scene about 1:30 p.m.

McNair was spotted returning to his condo about 2 a.m. Saturday, Nashville police said.

Fred McNair, Steve McNair's oldest brother, said family members likely will travel to Nashville tomorrow to comfort the beloved gridiron star's wife.

"It's still kind of hard to believe," Fred McNair said. "He was the greatest person in the world. He gave back to the community. He loved kids and he wanted to be a role model to kids."

Authorities said McNair's wife, Mechelle, was devastated. "Mrs. McNair obviously is very, very distraught by what has taken place," Aaron said.

McNair and Kazemi were inside a 2007 black Cadillac Escalade, registered to both of them, on Thursday when cops pulled over the vehicle and charged her with driving under the influence, Nashville police said.

Kazemi had bloodshot eyes and the smell of alcohol on her breath but she refused a Breathalyzer test because "she was not drunk, she was high," according to the affidavit

Holy cow. What a tragic end, I feel for his wife and kids.

Steelhere10
07-05-2009, 05:28 PM

From some reports, it's beginning to look like a murder-suicide by his "girlfriend".

I remember watching him play in college. Just terrible news.Yep, sometimes it's cheaper to keep her. His wife of course.

Chadman
07-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Dear oh dear.

Tragic end for a popular player.

Don't know what's leaving the worse feeling though- the fact that he was murdered, or the fact that he was murdered while cheating on his family.

Another example of why 'stars' shouldn't be put up on a pedestal- they all suffer the same failings as the rest of us plebs.

Always liked McNair.

mshifko
07-06-2009, 12:59 AM
very sad story...RIP air mcnair

bostonsteeler
07-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Sad!
Before this came out he was known, by all accounts, to be a tremendous human being, both on and off the field.

I guess everyone needs their follies. This was a bad one to have. It cost him his life and his family their dad/husband.

I hope, for his sake and his family's sake, that this is not the way he is remembered; that he's remembered for all the good things he stood for.

Iron Shiek
07-06-2009, 09:50 AM
RIP to Air McNair...tough player...sadly i think his football legacy will be the "one yard short" play. But still a tough player.

And how he was a co-MVP with sucky wr's is beyond me. I guess Mason and Wycheck were pretty decent but no big names ever.

pfelix73
07-06-2009, 10:09 AM
That 1 yard short thing gets blown way out of proportion.

The other night on NBC News, they said that he was 1 yard short of winning the game.

1st of all, it was longer than 1 yard- more like 2 to 3 and the LB was right there to make the play- Jones.

2nd- and more importantly- the score was 23-16. They needed a TD to tie the game, not win it.

Oh well- both the Tits and the Rams still suck.....

:tt1

Iron Shiek
07-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah I see your point...but it was a pretty epic ending.

Agree with your last statement wholeheartedly. :tt2

pfelix73
07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/site/img/s ... -xxxiv.jpg (http://static.nfl.com/static/site/img/superbowl/dyson-xxxiv.jpg)

Hit at the 3, dropped at the 2.....

In hind sight, McNair should have thrown it into the endzone- Like Ben did to Santonio. Can't win it throwing it to the 3 yard line and hoping a WR will break a tackle.

Oh well, can the season start soon enough? :tt1

papillon
07-06-2009, 03:00 PM
The wrong head was doing his thinking, still tragic and sad though.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
07-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Update:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4309196

Updated: July 6, 2009, 4:33 PM ET
Police believe link between woman, gun
ESPN.com news services

Relative: Woman Bought Gun, Cops Say

A relative of the woman found shot to death with former NFL quarterback Steve McNair said Monday that Nashville police told him she recently purchased a gun and that police believe they are almost sure she was the shooter

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Police believe the weapon recovered from the condominium where the body of former NFL quarterback Steve McNair was discovered Saturday was purchased by Sahel Kazemi, his 20-year-old girlfriend who also was found shot to death.

"We believe the pistol recovered from the apartment was purchased by Kazemi," Metro spokesman Don Aaron said Monday.

Farzin Abdi, a nephew of Kazemi, said earlier Monday he does not believe Kazemi would have killed McNair, the former Tennessee Titans quarterback and herself.

Abdi didn't know what day of the week the gun was purchased or what type of gun it was.

"There was no way she was depressed and wanting to do this," he said. "She was so happy. ... She just had it made, you know, [with] this guy taking care of everything."

Abdi said Kazemi had no motive to kill McNair.

McNair had been dating Kazemi for several months, and Aaron said Sunday that a semiautomatic pistol was found under her body. She was shot in the head. McNair was discovered in a seated position on a sofa in the living room, shot twice in the head and two more times in the chest.

Abdi said Kazemi believed McNair was divorcing his wife and she was preparing to sell her furniture to move in with him.

Appearing at a news conference Monday at Titans headquarters, a somber coach Jeff Fisher said, "The Steve McNair I knew would want me to say, 'Celebrate my life, for what I did on the field, for what I did in the community, for the kind of teammate that I was.' That's what the Steve I knew would want me to say."

Fisher had been in Iraq as part of an NFL trip last week to visit the military. His cell phone service resumed after the group landed in Kuwait, and Fisher noticed a string of calls had come in when Eddie George called and wound up informing the coach of McNair's death.

Fisher said he's still shocked by McNair's death at 36.

"This is hard. This is hard on everybody. This is not an easy thing. There will be a void. Again, I'll fill that void with those memories. That's what we have to do," Fisher said.

A public memorial for McNair was set for Thursday at Mount Zion Baptist Church in Whites Creek, Tenn., north of Nashville, from 4 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. ET, according to The Tennessean.

A memorial service was scheduled for 8 p.m. ET at the church, the newspaper reported. A funeral was also expected to be scheduled for Saturday in Hattiesburg, Miss., though that service was still being finalized.

McNair, who was married with four sons, had a permit to carry a handgun in Tennessee, and he was arrested once before with a 9mm weapon although charges in the case were dropped. Police said they had not yet determined who owned the gun found at the scene.

Investigators weren't looking for a suspect but were questioning friends of the couple as well as Kazemi's ex-boyfriend. They were also waiting for results of drug and other laboratory tests before deciding whether McNair was killed in a lovers' quarrel.

"That's a very important part of the investigation as we work to ultimately classify Miss Kazemi's death," Aaron said.

The details surfacing after McNair's death stand in stark contrast to the public persona he enjoyed during his career.

McNair repeatedly played through serious injuries and pain to win, though he came up a yard short of forcing overtime on the Titans' famous drive to lose the 2000 Super Bowl.

Generous, he frequently took part in charity work for both the Titans and later the Baltimore Ravens after a 2006 trade. McNair even helped load donated food, water and clothes onto tractor-trailers that he had arranged for Hurricane Katrina victims, and paid for three football camps for children himself this year.

McNair and Kazemi were found dead at a Nashville condominium -- which overlooks the Titans stadium -- that he rented with his friend Wayne Neeley. Police believe both died early Saturday. Neeley found the bodies hours later and called a friend, Robert Gaddy, who played at Alcorn State with McNair. Gaddy dialed 911.

"It was like something you might imagine seeing on TV or in the movies, but never imagine you would see it firsthand, to have that happen to someone you love. I am still shook up,'' Gaddy told The Tennessean.

"People have certain things that they do in life," Gaddy told The Associated Press. "We don't need to look on the situation at this time [but] on the fact we just lost a great member of society."

The quarterback's agent, Bus Cook, said he had never heard Kazemi's name until news of the shooting broke Saturday. What McNair's wife, Mechelle, knew wasn't clear Sunday.

"It doesn't make any sense. I don't know what to say," Cook said.

According to the New York Daily News, which cited unnamed sources close to McNair, his wife may have been unaware of the affair until learning of the circumstances of his death.

"She's blindsided by this," the newspaper quoted a source as saying of Mechelle McNair. "She's crushed. Her whole world is shattered."

Cook said Mechelle was "in and out of it." He said she had no comment after the police called his death a homicide.

Mechelle was "very upset, very distraught" Sunday, Cook said. She was preparing to finish the funeral arrangements Monday.

McNair split his time between Nashville and his farm in Mount Olive, Miss. He recently opened a restaurant near Tennessee State University that was aimed at serving healthy, affordable food to college students.

McNair was also seen so often at Kazemi's apartment that a neighbor thought he lived there.

McNair met Kazemi when his family ate often at the Dave & Buster's restaurant she worked at as a server, and the two began dating in a relationship that included a vacation with parasailing. Photos posted on TMZ.com showed McNair gazing and smiling at the young Kazemi.

"She pretty obviously got mixed up way over her head with folks," said Reagan Howard, a neighbor of Kazemi's.

A man who answered the door at a house in the Jacksonville, Fla., suburb of Orange Park said it was the home of Kazemi's family, but said her relatives did not want to comment.

"We don't have anything to say, please leave us alone," he said.

The victim's sister, Soheyla Kazemi, told the Florida Times-Union in Jacksonville that the young woman had expected McNair to get a divorce. "She said they were planning to get married."

Kazemi often was dropped off by limousine in the early morning hours and recently went from driving a Kia to a 2007 Cadillac Escalade registered to both herself and McNair. Her niece told The Tennessean that Kazemi thought McNair was divorcing his wife of 12 years soon.

Nashville courts had no record of a McNair divorce case, but a home he owned in Nashville is on the market for $3 million.

The real estate agent declined to comment. Her online listing for property described it as a "gigantic house" of more than 14,000 square feet and photos showed a pool, home theater, baby grand piano and ornate furnishings throughout.

Fred McNair, Steve McNair's oldest brother, said some family members likely would travel to Nashville on Monday.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

grotonsteel
07-06-2009, 09:18 PM
RIP -- Air McNair

Looks like Murder-Suicide...

RuthlessBurgher
07-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Pappy

Let this be a cautionary tale to all of you married fellas who's thoughts may stray away from your wife from time to time. Make sure it is only thoughts that stray. As if potentially ruining your marriage as a result of a fling with some young thing isn't bad enough, you never know when you might get yourself into a "Fatal Attraction" type of situation. Go home with your wife and kids...leave the hot 20 year old at Dave and Busters.

papillon
07-07-2009, 10:16 AM

Pappy

Let this be a cautionary tale to all of you married fellas who's thoughts may stray away from your wife from time to time. Make sure it is only thoughts that stray. As if potentially ruining your marriage as a result of a fling with some young thing isn't bad enough, you never know when you might get yourself into a "Fatal Attraction" type of situation. Go home with your wife and kids...leave the hot 20 year old at Dave and Busters.

Amen brother, you married her for a reason, deep dig into the recesses of your mind and rekindle those reasons, it's not that difficult.

And yet, it's still tragic, the children and wife will never be the same. It is sounding as if his wife is just now finding out about the affair due to the murder/suicide. My heart weeps for her and the kids. :(

Pappy

True Fan
07-07-2009, 02:55 PM

Pappy

or just pay for a hooker now and then

grotonsteel
07-07-2009, 03:06 PM

Pappy

Or Better go to Rhode Island...for some action... :twisted:

Jooser
07-07-2009, 03:20 PM

Pappy

Amen to that RB.

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww36/gigipsychojo/psycho.jpg they're out there...... :!:

LasVegasGuy
07-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Never trust some bitch from a third world country.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-07-2009, 05:22 PM

Pappy

Man, this is so true. Just walk away, that's the only way to do it right. Don't put yourself in a position where you have to depend on willpower to get it done, that's just playing Russian Roulette with the future.

I'm with Woody Allen on this one: "I can resist anything, anything, but temptation".