PDA

View Full Version : Cowher on Hines' holdout

PSU_dropout43
07-04-2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-ame ... 5-Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-americas-game/09000d5d8009a7fb/America-s-Game-2005-Steelers)

Cowher: 'Hines made the decision to stay out of camp, even though he had a contract.'

RuthlessBurgher
07-04-2009, 01:41 PM
:?

Okay...so that happened 4 years ago. The America's Game film footage that you posted was filmed 3 years ago. How is this relevant now?

Next month, when Rod Woodson get inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, should I rake him over the coals because he did not sign a contract 22 years ago until it was late October and his rookie season was already half-over?

Jooser
07-04-2009, 01:48 PM
:?

Okay...so that happened 4 years ago. The America's Game film footage that you posted was filmed 3 years ago. How is this relevant now?

Next month, when Rod Woodson get inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, should I rake him over the coals because he did not sign a contract 22 years ago until it was late October and his rookie season was already half-over?

Doesn't matter as long as he's in the HOF as a Steelers. :stirpot

Scarletfire1970
07-05-2009, 07:05 AM
At least Hines didn't quit on his team. He got his contract and helped them win SB XL

BURGH86STEEL
07-05-2009, 07:33 AM
At least Hines didn't quit on his team. He got his contract and helped them win SB XL

It's funny but I don't remember anyone stating that Cowher quit on the team during the 06 season. That idea seems to have originated after the season was over. There were other factors at play as why the season did not turn out as well as 05. Ben and the defense did not play as well as they had in 05. Ben's INTs probably changed the coarse of the season more than any one factor.

NorthCoast
07-05-2009, 09:22 AM

It's funny but I don't remember anyone stating that Cowher quit on the team during the 06 season. That idea seems to have originated after the season was over. There were other factors at play as why the season did not turn out as well as 05. Ben and the defense did not play as well as they had in 05. Ben's INTs probably changed the coarse of the season more than any one factor.

Anyone that knew Cowher, knew he stayed one year too long. His heart was not in it, and it showed on the sidelines. A stoic Cowher is a bad Cowher, considering 75% of his game was based on emotion rather than strategy. No heart, no game.

RuthlessBurgher
07-05-2009, 09:31 AM

That and his whole "almost dying in the offseason" thing.

BURGH86STEEL
07-05-2009, 10:45 AM

Anyone that knew Cowher, knew he stayed one year too long. His heart was not in it, and it showed on the sidelines. A stoic Cowher is a bad Cowher, considering 75% of his game was based on emotion rather than strategy. No heart, no game.

Did you know Cowher personally? His heart was not in it because it did not show on the sidelines? Not so sure that is true. Not sure that he was not animated on the sideline. I don't remember every play from that season. Can you honestly say that he was not animated for the entire season? I don't think you can. Maybe the way the team performed did not give him a reason to be animated? Being animated never won games in the NFL. A coach can't animate players to make plays. It can't stop the QB or RB from turning over the football. Being animated was also not a true measure of how involved Cowher was with the team.

In any event, the mistakes by the players were the biggest determining/contributing factor on how that season turned out. If you don't believe, revisit the mistakes that players made over the coarse of that season. Animation could not do anything for those mistakes.

BURGH86STEEL
07-05-2009, 10:48 AM

That and his whole "almost dying in the offseason" thing.

I agree that had an impact on the season.

Scarletfire1970
07-05-2009, 09:38 PM
It is the head coaches job to make sure the team is ready for each game. I felt like I was watching the bad news bears every Sunday that season. That Steelers team looked like they were just going through the motions, kinda like their head coach.