PDA

View Full Version : How's your draft class looking thus far?

HardlinerKC
07-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Just let me say that mine is not causing a rush for season tickets or renewals of Sunday Tickets on Directv. I was amped up on draft day , expecting the Pioli magic to surface, rock the house and all that.

In essence, I was ready for a Kiss concert and what did I get? A Jonas Brothers appearance. Yawn.

calmkiller
07-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Is a Kiss Concert supposed to be better than a Jonas Brothers Concert?

No way to really tell yet. Couple CBs look good early. WR and CB could contribute on ST. No one really "needs" to contribute early starting wise though. Most rookies are Redshirted.

papillon
07-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Just let me say that mine is not causing a rush for season tickets or renewals of Sunday Tickets on Directv. I was amped up on draft day , expecting the Pioli magic to surface, rock the house and all that.

In essence, I was ready for a Kiss concert and what did I get? A Jonas Brothers appearance. Yawn.

Too hard to tell about a draft class before they've taken the filed in pads. The Steelers filled some holes and grabbed some athletes how they work out remains to be seen. The NFL holds what they call the NFL draft in April; I call it the NFL crap shoot.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
07-03-2009, 12:22 AM
This draft class is the Steelers' best since 1974.

(I can dream, can't I?)

RuthlessBurgher
07-03-2009, 12:48 AM
For everyone that was so enamored with the Patriots talent-evaluation abilities, I have not been all that impressed with their drafts in recent years. Here are Pioli's last 3 draft classes before jumping ship to K.C.

Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 10 Jerod Mayo ILB Tennessee
2 62 Terrence Wheatley CB Colorado
3 78 Shawn Crable OLB Michigan
3 94 Kevin O'Connell QB San Diego State
4 129 Jonathan Wilhite CB Auburn
5 153 Matt Slater WR UCLA
6 197 Bo Ruud LB Nebraska

2007 - New England Patriots
1 24 Brandon Meriweather DB Miami (Fla.)
4 127 Kareem Brown DT Miami (Fla.)
5 171 Clint Oldenburg T Colorado State
6 180 Justin Rogers LB Southern Methodist
6 202 Mike Richardson DB Notre Dame
6 208 Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State
6 209 Corey Hilliard OT Oklahoma State
7 211 Oscar Lua LB USC
7 247 Mike Elgin G Iowa

2006 - New England Patriots
1 21 Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota
2 36 Chad Jackson WR Florida
3 86 David Thomas TE Texas
4 106 Garrett Mills RB Tulsa
4 118 Stephen Gostkowski K Memphis
5 136 Ryan O'Callaghan T California
6 191 Jeremy Mincey LB Florida
6 205 Dan Stevenson G Notre Dame
6 206 Le Kevin Smith DT Nebraska
7 229 Willie Andrews CB Baylor

Outside of 2008 DROY Jerod Mayo, the player on that list with the most impact is the kicker Gostkowski (which might be a good sign for your Mr. Irrelevant Ryan Succop). Laurence Maroney has been underwhelming to say the least and Chad Jackson was cut after two seasons even though they traded a 2nd and 3rd round pick to get him. It seems like the most of the rest of those draft picks listed are nothing more than a bunch of guys named Harry (to use a Cope-ism). Only the most devout draftnik has even heard of most of them.

I did like your draft class last year (although you have to wonder about how Dorsey will adjust to the switch to the 3-4 now).

PSU_dropout43
07-03-2009, 01:27 AM
let me give you my comparisons on who these players play similar to and who they are similar to in maximum ability.

Ziggy Hood = Tank Johnson; Darnell Dockett (max. ability)

Kraig Urbik = wasted pick

Mike Wallace = Dwight Stone

Keenan Lewis = no idea

Joe Burnett = Hank Poteat

Frank Summers = Practice Squad

RuthlessBurgher
07-03-2009, 01:42 AM
let me give you my comparisons on who these players play similar to and who they are similar to in maximum ability.

Keenan Lewis = no idea

So, in other words, you think the glass is half full in regards to our draft class? :lol:

Jooser
07-03-2009, 08:19 AM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/10.gif

AngryAsian
07-03-2009, 12:20 PM

Keenan Lewis = no idea

So, in other words, you think the glass is half full in regards to our draft class? :lol:

That's some fuggin' funny ****!!

http://www.divinecaroline.com/images/photo/image/01/24/12/photo/12412/laughing_asian_baby.jpg

Oviedo
07-04-2009, 09:34 AM

Keenan Lewis = no idea

I guess they din't take the players you wanted so it is automatically a "bust" draft. I think reality will show that Hood and Urbik will be solid starters for many years. Lewis will be good. Burnett will be a pleasant surprise both as a returner (don't be surprised if he is as good as ARE) and DB (Very much like Deshea). Summers will be a solid back up.

The only player I'm unsure of as far as success will be Wallace but as WR it will take two years to even get a sense about whether he makes it.

Mister Pittsburgh
07-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Too early to tell. Who here thought that William Gay would have played as well as he did last year filling in for BM.

One thing I am stoked to see is the impact on our special teams return unit. Our coverage got a lot better last year. Like night and day from the previous year. I don't think we will be seeing RB's returning kicks anymore unless they are burners like Stefan Logan (don't see him making the team though).

Iron Shiek
07-06-2009, 10:07 AM
For everyone that was so enamored with the Patriots talent-evaluation abilities, I have not been all that impressed with their drafts in recent years. Here are Pioli's last 3 draft classes before jumping ship to K.C.

1 10 Jerod Mayo ILB Tennessee
2 62 Terrence Wheatley CB Colorado
3 78 Shawn Crable OLB Michigan
3 94 Kevin O'Connell QB San Diego State
4 129 Jonathan Wilhite CB Auburn
5 153 Matt Slater WR UCLA
6 197 Bo Ruud LB Nebraska

2007 - New England Patriots
1 24 Brandon Meriweather DB Miami (Fla.)
4 127 Kareem Brown DT Miami (Fla.)
5 171 Clint Oldenburg T Colorado State
6 180 Justin Rogers LB Southern Methodist
6 202 Mike Richardson DB Notre Dame
6 208 Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State
6 209 Corey Hilliard OT Oklahoma State
7 211 Oscar Lua LB USC
7 247 Mike Elgin G Iowa

2006 - New England Patriots
1 21 Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota
2 36 Chad Jackson WR Florida
3 86 David Thomas TE Texas
4 106 Garrett Mills RB Tulsa
4 118 Stephen Gostkowski K Memphis
5 136 Ryan O'Callaghan T California
6 191 Jeremy Mincey LB Florida
6 205 Dan Stevenson G Notre Dame
6 206 Le Kevin Smith DT Nebraska
7 229 Willie Andrews CB Baylor

Outside of 2008 DROY Jerod Mayo, the player on that list with the most impact is the kicker Gostkowski (which might be a good sign for your Mr. Irrelevant Ryan Succop). Laurence Maroney has been underwhelming to say the least and Chad Jackson was cut after two seasons even though they traded a 2nd and 3rd round pick to get him. It seems like the most of the rest of those draft picks listed are nothing more than a bunch of guys named Harry (to use a Cope-ism). Only the most devout draftnik has even heard of most of them.

I did like your draft class last year (although you have to wonder about how Dorsey will adjust to the switch to the 3-4 now).

That 2006 draft really crapped out after initially looking pretty good. WTF happened to Maroney...geez....Chad Jackson was so hyped up too...I was one who was in love with his abilities.