PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: Mendenhall Must Earn Playing Time

Jooser
07-01-2009, 11:48 AM
This article makes it sound as though RM is in the Tomlin doghouse just bit right now. I guess we'll see how well Mike's "tough love" motivates him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ying-time/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/06/30/tomlin-mendenhall-must-earn-playing-time/)

Tomlin: Mendenhall Must Earn Playing Time
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 30, 2009 12:12 PM

There are plenty of reasons for Steelers fans to be optimistic about a title defense. Their room for improvement with the running game is near the top of the list.

Last year's first-round pick Rashard Mendenhall figures to have a bigger role this year, but coach Mike Tomlin says that's all on Mendenhall.

"He's got to put himself back into the offense. I am not responsible for Rashard Mendenhall's role in the offense. He is."

It's not surprising Tomlin is doling out tough love after the running back's lost rookie season.

Drafted ahead of Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, and Steve Slaton, Mendenhall missed a lot of work last summer with a hamstring injury. His playing time was spotty early in the regular season. A literal bone-crushing hit by Ray Lewis ended Mendhall's season in Week Four, and he made himself scarce at the team facility after that.

While Mendenhall's broken shoulder is fully recovered, starter Willie Parker will be motivated to keep his carries during a contract year. With Mewelde Moore around for third down duties, the Steelers have a good problem on their hands.

Mendenhall will have to fight just to get on the field.

Let's GO MENDY!!! :tt2

BradshawsHairdresser
07-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Mendy undoubtedly has top-notch ability. But whether he has the heart, the commitment to the team and the commitment to do what it takes to succeed...that's what will determine whether he gets more playing time. That, and if he can reduce his propensity to cough up the ball.

steelsnis
07-01-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't get the sense that Mendenhall is in Tomlin's doghouse at all from that article. All I see is that Tomlin is saying, nothing's going to be handed to anyone, you've got to earn your way onto the field.

Which is a good thing in my book.

SidSmythe
07-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Tomlin gives no one a job. nothing new here.
Mendenhall has the ability, now he just has to do it. that simple.

RussBII
07-01-2009, 04:37 PM
"He's got to put himself back into the offense. I am not responsible for Rashard Mendenhall's role in the offense. He is."

I love that line. He's so the right guy to run this team.

Jooser
07-01-2009, 05:19 PM

I love that line. He's so the right guy to run this team.

Maybe I misspoke about the doghouse comment, but I definitely back that sort of "tough love" statement from Tomlin....what it all boils down to is personal responsibility, and I like it.

flippy
07-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I hate that he's shown a propensity to fumble and got injured after lingering hammy problems.

RBs take big hits regularly. And it took only a couple of hits until he was gone for the season. ugh.

FWP will likely have to carry the load again.

phillyesq
07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Tomlin is pretty much saying that Mendenhall isn't guaranteed playing time because he was a first round pick. I like it.

There is healthy competition at a number of positions this year, RB among them. That can only benefit the Steelers.

I like what I've read about Parker this offseason. Sounds like he is working hard. Hopefully Mendenhall is doing the same. Both RBs will be needed before the season is over. Hopefully both perform at a high level.

frankthetank1
07-02-2009, 11:17 AM
i was pretty dissapointed that mendenhall hardly got any playing time last season. i was actually pretty impressed how he did in the raven game untill he got hurt of course. i think he will be a good player but he has a lot to prove

aggiebones
07-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Geez, pretty much coachspeak to me.
Same thing he likely says in the lockerroom.

He'll get some run in the preseason and practice and surely he'll garner some PT on gamedays. How he does determines his future. This is year 2 and he won't be cut regardless, but if he's floundering still in year 3 preseason, he won't survive cuts. RBs can be had easier than other positions though they aren't cheap. Holding onto an expensive unproductive RB is pointless.

Oviedo
07-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't get the sense that Mendenhall is in Tomlin's doghouse at all from that article. All I see is that Tomlin is saying, nothing's going to be handed to anyone, you've got to earn your way onto the field.

Which is a good thing in my book.

I agree. The biggest thing I like about Tomlin is he doesn't care what you did in the past it is about what you do now. Performance over seniority or draft status. That is why we will win more Super Bowls under his leadership.