PDA

View Full Version : Steelers talking extension with Clark

fordfixer
06-28-2009, 02:41 AM
Saturday, June 27, 2009

NFL from the sidelines

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... clark.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/06/steelers-talking-extension-with-clark.html)

Steelers talking extension with Clark
According to the NFL Network, the Steelers are actively talking about a contract extension with safety Ryan Clark, who's scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2009 season.

As I reported earlier this week, the team is also in active negotiations with tight end Heath Miller.

The Steelers picked up a little over $3 million in salary cap space this week by signing left tackle Max Starks to a contract extension and seem intent on using it to keep some key parts of this team in Pittsburgh beyond this season.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 1:51 AM

Jooser
06-28-2009, 06:46 AM
That's great news, both are integral to our team.

flippy
06-28-2009, 08:30 AM
great news. i love clark. he's one of the key cogs to having the #1 defense.

most underrated player in the game.

AkronSteel
06-28-2009, 11:39 PM
This would be a really good sign in my opinion! If the team can secure Heath and Ryan before training camp then they can go into the season knowing that the only real issue going into next offseason is to sign Skippy. They can use the franchise tag on him and it won't break the bank. Clark would be secured for the next few seasons and Mundy can then learn and mature behind a quality starter and the depth at safety looks alot more secure. Get this done ASAP Colbert and I will deem this offseason a great success!!!

RuthlessBurgher
06-29-2009, 12:02 PM
This would be a really good sign in my opinion! If the team can secure Heath and Ryan before training camp then they can go into the season knowing that the only real issue going into next offseason is to sign Skippy. They can use the franchise tag on him and it won't break the bank. Clark would be secured for the next few seasons and Mundy can then learn and mature behind a quality starter and the depth at safety looks alot more secure. Get this done ASAP Colbert and I will deem this offseason a great success!!!

Well, there are still a few other impending free agents besides that, such as Brett Keisel, Casey Hampton, Willie Parker, Willie Colon, etc., but I agree with you that the ones you stated should be the priority signings.

feltdizz
07-01-2009, 12:17 AM
sign Clark.. he has put the NFL on notice... he is the period to any Steeler defensive sentence... if you are a wide out or a RB who runs the delayed pass route...

goodnight.

RuthlessBurgher
07-01-2009, 12:45 AM
sign Clark.. he has put the NFL on notice... he is the EXCLAMATION POINT to any Steeler defensive sentence... if you are a wide out or a RB who runs the delayed pass route...

goodnight.

Fixed that for you. :tt2 :tt1

Oviedo
07-01-2009, 10:11 AM

Well, there are still a few other impending free agents besides that, such as Brett Keisel, Casey Hampton, Willie Parker, Willie Colon, etc., but I agree with you that the ones you stated should be the priority signings.

IMO only Kiesel will have a chance to stay and that is if he accepts a discount for a reduced role going forward as I'm sure Hood is going to push for playing time.

Parker will be a tough one but we have shown we can win games without him and being a RB in the NFL is not great job security since it is now "RB by committe" and RBs are a dime a dozen in the draft and free agency. Again he only stays if he takles a big discount.

Colon and Hampton are gone after this season. They have tied up a lot of cap space in the OL with the Starks and Kemo signings and won't add alot to that allocation to keep the cap structure in order. Hampton is a two down player and he has obviously not endeared himself to Tomlin. Unless he turns back the clock this season 3-4 years in terms of performance he is not worth the cap hit.

frankthetank1
07-01-2009, 04:57 PM

IMO only Kiesel will have a chance to stay and that is if he accepts a discount for a reduced role going forward as I'm sure Hood is going to push for playing time.

Parker will be a tough one but we have shown we can win games without him and being a RB in the NFL is not great job security since it is now "RB by committe" and RBs are a dime a dozen in the draft and free agency. Again he only stays if he takles a big discount.

Colon and Hampton are gone after this season. They have tied up a lot of cap space in the OL with the Starks and Kemo signings and won't add alot to that allocation to keep the cap structure in order. Hampton is a two down player and he has obviously not endeared himself to Tomlin. Unless he turns back the clock this season 3-4 years in terms of performance he is not worth the cap hit.

i agree kiesel is the only one worth keeping out of that bunch. parker is a very tough decision. he has been pretty banged up the last two seasons. clark is so underrated though. i would be ecstatic if they could get a deal with heath or clark. both would be unbelievable. if they could get both re-signed it will be one of the best offseason's ever.