PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Notes

ANPSTEEL
06-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Thought I'd post this-

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport ... nsideSlant (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67067&type=InsideSlant)

Some good info - particullarly if the comments about Davis and Dixon are true.

Steelers Team Report
Updated: June 26, 2009, 6:20 AM EDT

Inside Slant
--Larry Foote's self-forced exit from Pittsburgh is a rare instance in which a Steelers player asked to be traded or released so he could pursue his career elsewhere.

Players rarely leave the Steelers unless the Steelers no longer want them. Sometimes, they go kicking and screaming, such as Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca last year.

"I'm just speaking from my knowledge of being around here and that is this is a great place to be," said defensive end Brett Keisel, who could find himself in the Faneca boat next year. "You have great owners who care about you, a great family atmosphere here in the locker room ,so it's a great place for a player like myself who was drafted here."

Keisel has one year left on his contract and wants to sign an extension before the 2009 season, as do many of his teammate in the same spot.

"From my standpoint, if guys have an opportunity to sign before their final year, it's kind of job security," said tight end Heath Miller, who also has one year left on his deal. "Football is such an unpredictable sport in some respects. Guys can have a career-ending injury or season-ending injury, so I think job security is something that's valuable in this sport.

"And in my case, certainly when you play for an organization like this, I can't see myself wanting to go anywhere else. I definitely hope it ends up good."

Players do leave as free agents, often, including cornerback Bryant McFadden, tackle Marvel Smith and wide receiver Nate Washington this year. But the Steelers made no moves to sign any of them.

Faneca raised a fuss in 2007, when he entered the final year of his contract, but never could come to terms. Hines Ward held out at the beginning of training camp in 2005 when a contract extension was not done. He could have become a free agent in 2006 but did not want to. James Harrison wanted his new contract this year and did not want to wait to become free in 2010.

"It's guys just being comfortable with the situation they're in and the teams they're with," explained linebacker James Farrior, who signed as a free agent with the Steelers from the Jets in 2002. "It's hard going to a new team, and you have to learn everything over again. It's like being a rookie all over again."

OFFSEASON STANDOUT: Outside linebacker Bruce Davis looked vastly improved after a disappointing rookie season. The 2008 third-round pick got outplayed by undrafted rookie Patrick Bailey, who went on to become a special teams force. But Davis showed signs that he is beginning to get more comfortable in his transition from defensive end at UCLA. Remember, Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, Jason Gildon, Mike Vrabel and LaMarr Woodley all struggled in their first year after transition from end.

LINEUP WATCH: Fifth-round 2008 pick Dennis Dixon has impressed the coaching staff this offseason and could make a strong push to unseat Charlie Batch as Ben Roethlisberger's primary backup. Dixon can also potential run a form of the Wildcat offense if coordinator Bruce Arians incorporates it. If so, there's a good chance Dixon will be the active No. 2 quarterback on game days.

ROOKIE IMPRESSIONS: The Steelers are counting on first-round pick Ziggy Hood to step in and provide some relief for starting defensive ends Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith, who are both in their 30s. Hood could be a starter as soon as 2010 if he picks up the intricacies of the 3-4. Third-round wide receiver Mike Wallace could also compete for early playing time if 2008 rookie Limas Sweed continues to falter in his attempt to lock up the No. 3 spot.

INJURY WATCH: FS Ryan Clark is expected to be ready in time for training camp after sitting out spring practices following shoulder surgery. Punter Daniel Sepulveda appears to be on track to handle the punting duties in 2009. He missed all of last season with a torn ACL, then had spring surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right plant leg. But the release of Dirk Johnson in mid-June indicates Sepulveda is making a strong recover.

Contract to watch: The Steelers got offensive tackle Max Starks signed to a long-term deal that saved some salary cap room, leaving Hood and guard Kraig Urbik (second round) as the only potential contract issues heading into training camp.

Notes and Quotes
--Safety Troy Polamalu has been working out in Orange County, Calif., with trainer Marv Marinovich for the second consecutive year. Polamalu attended the mandatory minicamp early in May and skipped the rest of the OTAs to follow the same routine he had in 2008. That worked out fine for him after a 2007 injury-filled season.

"Yeah, being healthy throughout the year, that was a big part of it," said Polamalu, who did return to Pittsburgh for both the team's White House visit and their ring ceremony. "Obviously, you don't want to take away from the grace of God being healthy, and coach (Mike) Tomlin did a lot of things throughout the season to help us be healthy. That made a big difference."

--RB Willie Parker also has adopted a different training routine.

"I have been doing a lot of Pilates, stretching and things of that nature to get my body back," said Parker, who missed five full games and large parts of two others with knee and shoulder injuries in 2008. "I am feeling good. I am headed towards the right direction."

-- The Steelers have only two draft picks left unsigned, their top two picks: defensive lineman Ziggy Hood, drafted in the first round, and guard Kraig Urbik, drafted with the 79th overall pick, in the third round.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I never did it before. I am doing it to loosen up my body as a whole, my upper and lower body. It's kind of girly, but ..." - RB Willie Parker, on his new exercise routine, Pilates.

Strategy and Personnel
FRANCHISE PLAYER: OT Max Starks: Tendered at $8.451M; signed tender Feb. 23. Signed four-year contract June 23.

TRANSITION PLAYER: None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (not tendered)

--P Mitch Berger (not tendered as UFA June 1).

--TE Jon Dekker (not tendered as ERFA).

--DE Orpheus Roye (not tendered as UFA June 1).

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: None.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS

--G Jeremy Parquet was a backup who played little.

DRAFT CHOICES SIGNED

--WR Mike Wallace (3/84): $1.74M/3 yrs, $555,000 SB; 2009 cap: $495,000.

--CB Keenan Lewis (3/96): Terms unknown.

--CB Joe Burnett (5/168): 3 yrs, terms unknown.

--FB Frank Summers (5/169): 3 yrs, terms unknown.

--DE Ra'Shon Harris (6/205): $1.249M/3 yrs, $64,000 SB; 2009 cap: $331,333.

--C A.Q. Shipley (7/226): $1.227M/3 yrs, $42,000 SB; 2009 cap: $324,000.

--TE David Johnson (7/241): Terms unknown.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED

--QB Charlie Batch: UFA; $895,000/1 yr, $50,000 SB.

--OT Willie Colon: RFA; $2.198M/1 yr.

--FB Carey Davis: ERFA; terms unknown.

--OT Trai Essex: UFA; $1.94M/2 yrs, $500,000 SB.

--LB Keyaron Fox: UFA; $1.8M/2 yrs, $380,000 SB.

--LB Andre Frazier: UFA; $1.375M/2 yrs, $125,000 SB; 2009 cap: $687,500.

--LB Arnold Harrison: Not tendered as RFA; 1 yr, terms unknown.

--OG Chris Kemoeatu: UFA; $20M/5 yrs, $3.885M SB/$6M guaranteed.

--CB Anthony Madison: RFA; $1.01M/1 yr.

--TE/FB Sean McHugh; RFA; (tendered at $1.01M with seventh-round pick as compensation); $2.57M/3 yrs, $390,000 SB.

--OT Max Starks: FFA; $26.3M/4 yrs, $10M guaranteed.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED

--RB Stefan Logan: FA CFL; terms unknown.

--WR Shaun McDonald: UFA Lions; 1 yr, terms unknown.

--CB Keiwan Ratliff: UFA Colts; terms unknown.

--WR Brandon Williams: FA; terms unknown.

PLAYERS LOST

--CB Fernando Bryant (retired).

--LB Larry Foote (released).

--LB Mike Humpal (released/failed physical).

--QB Byron Leftwich: UFA Buccaneers; $7.5M/2 yrs; $3.5M RB 2010.

--CB Bryant McFadden: UFA Cardinals; $10M/2 yrs, $1M RB/$5M guaranteed.

--RB Gary Russell (released).

--OG Kendall Simmons (released/failed physical).

--S Anthony Smith: Not tendered as RFA/Packers; $1.485M/2 yrs, $100,000 RB.

--OT Marvel Smith: UFA 49ers; 2 yrs, terms unknown.

--WR Nate Washington: UFA Titans; terms unknown.

flippy
06-28-2009, 08:32 AM
i have no issue with foote wanting to leave. i respect a guy that wants to be the guy at his position and play. he had no place in pittsburgh left for him.

phillyesq
06-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Good read, thanks for posting.

Bruce Davis and Dennis Dixon developing would be great news.