PDA

View Full Version : Penguins take Ulf Samuelsson's son in the 2nd round! ULF Jr!

RuthlessBurgher
06-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I refuse to call him Philip or Phil. From now on, he will only be referred to as ULF JUNIOR!!!

http://www.arizonarubber.com/img/news/20090124_180.jpg http://cdn.nhl.com/images/upload/2008/07/Ulf-Samuelsson3.jpg

Scouting Report:

Philip Samuelsson
North American Skater
Chicago, USHL
Final Rank: 60 Midterm Rank: 59
Position: Defenseman Shoots: Left
Height: 6' 3" Weight: 198
Born: July 26, 1991 Hometown: Scottsdale, AZ
Born in: Leksand, SWE

• Samuelsson played for Team USA at the 2009 Under-18 World Championships, helping them win a gold medal in front of a home crowd in Fargo, North Dakota. He recorded three points (0-3-3) and co-led the team with a plus-nine rating. He played for Team Sweden at the 2008 Four Nations tournament in Lake Placid, New York, but will now play for the U.S. in further international tournaments.

• His father, Ulf Samuelsson, played 1080 NHL games, totaling 333 points (57-276-333) with five different teams (Hartford, Pittsburgh, NY Rangers, Detroit and Philadelphia) between 1984 and 2000. He played seven seasons for the Hartford Whalers, the team that drafted him 67th overall in the fourth round of the 1982 Entry Draft.

• He played his minor hockey for PF Changs in Phoenix, the Connecticut Lazers and the Philadelphia Phantoms before joining the USHL and has committed to Boston College.

• His childhood idol was his dad and credits him for having the most influence on his career – he wears number five the same number his father wore.

• Samuelsson got started in hockey at the age of five, playing on the Rye Rangers while his dad was playing for the New York Rangers.

• If he could have dinner with any three people he would choose: comedians Dane Cook, Chris Tucker, and Seth Rogen – “it would be a very entertaining dinner”.

• His favorite piece of sports memorabilia is a hockey stick signed by Wayne Gretzky and his most embarrassing hockey moment was walking out on the ice for the State finals with his skate guards on.

FAVORITES

NHL Team: New York Rangers
NHL Player: Ed Jovanovski
Shootout move: “Forsberg”
Goal celebration: “Bow and Arrow”
Video game: NHL ‘09
Movie: Dumb and Dumber
Reality Show: Flavor of Love
Actor/Actress: Seth Rogen and Jessica Alba
Cartoon: Family Guy
Pump-up song: “Welcome to Rainbow” by Bass Hunter
Restaurant: Mastro’s Steakhouse
Sport (other than hockey): Soccer
Place to visit: Italy
Snack: Cottage Cheese
Superhero: The Hulk

2008-2009 USA U-18 USDP 4 games 0 goals 0 assists 0 points 6 penalty minutes
2008-2009 Chicago USHL 54 games 0 goals 22 assists 22 points 60 penalty minutes

Chicago head coach Steven R. Poapst
“Phil seems to find himself in the right position at all times. He has a very active and good stick that allows him to break up a lot of plays defensively and wins most of his one on one battles for the puck. He is a player that is poised and confident with puck while under pressure and can make the right decision in most of those situations. A lot of people will question his skating but he is so good at owning his space by making sure he is in the right position with a good stick it does not become a factor. Phil has been very consistent this season and has improved greatly in the USHL. He is a leader on this team and comes ready to compete everyday. He has a lot of upside and will continue to grow as a player.”

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/11075/2009_prospects_philip_samuelsson/

2009 prospects: Philip Samuelsson
Written by: Jeff Dahlia on 04/06/2009

After watching his father Ulf play more than a decade in the NHL, Philip Samuelsson always knew that hockey was in his future. And like his father, young Samuelson patrols the blueline as he continues to inch closer to the NHL himself.

Playing this past season with the Chicago Steel in the USHL, Philip is just another 2009 eligible player the scouts have been looking at out of the East Division. At 6’2 and 200 lbs., Samuelsson already has comparable size to his father and is also a defensive-defenseman. And while he doesn’t have quite the feistiness his dad had, Samuelsson is developing quite the edge.

Hockey’s Future had a chance to catch up with Samuelsson as he gets ready with Team USA for the 2009 IIHF Under-18 World Championships in Fargo, North Dakota. He talked about growing up and playing the game, his play at various levels, his game, and what the future holds.

Hockey’s Future: How was it growing up in a hockey household?

Philip Samuelsson: Well obviously I was around the game a lot with my dad playing in the NHL. So I got thrown into that at a really early age and just figured out that it was one thing that I wanted to do. So from there, I’ve just been around it ever since.

HF: Was it hockey all the way or did you have interests in other sports?

PS: I played lacrosse for a bit but I wasn’t as serious with it as I was with hockey. And I played other stuff, but it just came down to hockey.

HF: And how was your dad? Was there any influence from to him or did he let you find your way?

PS: He was very supportive and let me do what I wanted to do. Once I was serious with hockey, he came in and started mentoring me. He’s had a big hand in turning me into the player I am today.

HF: I guess there isn’t any better guidance then that coming from an NHLer. How was that?

PS: You really can’t compare it, you know. Having a father who played in the NHL and knows what it takes to make it that level, it’s been a huge advantage.

HF: Before you joined the Chicago Steel in the USHL, you spent some time playing for the PF Chang's program back in the Phoenix area. What was that like? How well is youth hockey coming along?

PS: I was fortunate to play two years there. At first, I didn’t think it was going to be that competitive. But the ‘91 and ‘92 classes in Phoenix are really talented. There are about five or six kids in the USHL and getting scholarships. I was pleasantly surprised about the level out there and I made some friends out of it.

HF: And looking at youth game back there, do you think they’re doing the right things out there to help it grow?

PS: They have some real good coaching out there. If the interest stays as high as it is now, hopefully there will continue to be enough coaching for the kids that come out.

HF: You spent last season with the Steel. How was the overall experience and how much would you say it’s helped your development?

PS: It’s been huge. The USHL is a well-respected league. I was fortunate enough to in and earn my ice time right from the start. From there, I was also lucky to play a lot from there. I was also able to improve a lot of things, especially my skating, gap control, and other skills such as shooting the puck harder.

HF: In addition to your play in the USHL, you saw some time on the international front playing with both Team USA and Team Sweden at different tournaments. What was that like for you?

PS: There were amazing. Being on that stage and wearing your countries colors is just an honor. Those times really fly by, but they’re fun.

HF: And talking about playing with those two teams. Can you talk about the differences from one squad to another?

PS: There’s more finesse in the Sweden’s game. They utilize their top players skills to get what they need done. As for the U.S., they’re pretty system-orientated which is good. There are still opportunities for players to use their creativity. Then there are two styles because the Swedish kids play on the bigger ice, while the U.S. play on smaller rinks. And just that alone generates different types of players.

HF: Since your season has concluded with the Steel, you’re set to join Team USA again for the IIHF u-18 World Championships in Fargo/Moorhead. And as it stands right now, it looks like you’re the only player outside of the development program to be with the team. What was it like to learn you’d be joining them for the biggest tourney of the year for your age group?

PS: It’s just big. I know the rest of the guys have been with the NTDP for two years and they’ve been working hard. And it must be hard for some of those guys who won't get a chance to play at the tournament. As for me, it’s a big opportunity. Obviously they must have been happy how I played with Sweden at the last tournament. Hopefully I can come in and help the team win the gold.

HF: Now, because this is an IIHF sanctioned event you will skate under the Team USA in any further international events. Was there any interest coming from Sweden?

PS: It was pretty much Team USA from the get-go. And that made the decision a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.

HF: For the tournament itself, you’ve already had a chance to skate with USA so it's safe to say you know their system. What kind of role do you see yourself in once you catch up with them?

PS: I think that’s kind of tough to say now. I really want the chance to play as much as I can, but I understand all of that is merit based. I hoping to get on the penalty kill, see some power-play time. Overall, I want to be that solid defenseman that they can rely on there in any situation.

HF: How important is it going to be to get in there and pick up things up again and look for some balance and chemistry?

PS: It’s huge. If you’re with those kids all the time, you learn their tendencies. But I really have to pick up on what they like to do out there and fit in and be a contributor for them.

HF: After you stop in Fargo and Moorhead, the next big event is the 2009 NHL Entry Draft this June in Montreal. Are you eager to get up and enjoy the event or are you more anxious to get it over with so you can begin to chart where your development is headed as you move forward?

PS: I’m just excited to eventually be a part of that experience. If something happens, great. If I don’t get drafted, it’s not the end of the world. I’m just looking at it and really trying to stay positive as much as possible. But honestly, I’m not putting too much thought into it.

HF: If you get picked, does anything really change for you or do you just keep chipping away and let things take care of themselves?

PS: I’m sure the team that picks me up is going to have a say or idea on what they want me to work on. As for me, I’m just headed to Boston College and I’m just going to plug away and try to be a dominant player at the college level.

HF: What style and approach do you take out there, and what are your strong points and areas you want to improve?

PS: I’m pretty solid and I like to play the body. I’m pretty good on the penalty kill and I have a good shot from the point. I’m able to move the puck and think I do good with my passes. One thing that I think I need to improve on is getting my shots off quicker, gap control, and skating. You can never work enough on your skating.

HF: I’ve noticed that you take a subtle approach to the game. You don’t try to overdo things. You seem to see the game really well and react accordingly. Would you say that’s a fair assessment?

PS: Yeah, I’d definitely say that poise is a big element of my game. I won’t throw the puck away either just for the sake of it too. I like to see what my options are and then try to make that pass without having it be the wrong one.

HF: Looking back at your game over the last few years or so, have you noticed any improvement or difference is your approach?

PS: My style of play is the same but I have to say that my skating has improved. The same goes for those small things. The style is the same, I’m just trying to add to it.

HF: Now you mentioned playing at BC earlier. You do have the option to go to the WHL and play for the Edmonton Oil Kings if you so choose. Have you given it much thought, or are you content with your decision?

PS: I think unless something drastic happens I’m headed to BC. It’s an option, Edmonton, but they're not really presenting themselves to me like BC did. So the choice is rather easy for me.

HF: And lastly, looking ahead to the Eagles and next season, there is a lot of room for opportunity. Are you eager to get up there and get things going?

PS: I’m definitely excited to get up there. With all players that are moving on, there is a lot of opportunity come next fall. That is one reason why I picked the Eagles. There’s a chance to step in there, get to play right away and try and make a big impact from the start.

Copyright 2009 Hockey’s Future. Do not reprint or otherwise duplicate without permission of the editorial staff.

Pittsburgh
01-08-2010, 08:54 PM
He will be playing tonight in the BC vs BU game on NHLN. Always a great game to watch.

Also, shame on FSNP for not televising the RMU vs Miami of Ohio hockey game tonight. For a city that considers itself a "hockey town", they never televise WBS, Wheeling or college games. Instead, they would rather re-air the same old programs over and over again.

Thank God for the NHLN, FCSA and FCSC channels.

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Such a decision has everything to do with Fox Sports Pittsburgh's cost-cutting measures(i.e. dumping the iconic Savran on Sportsbeat in favor of Best Damn Top 50 Reruns) as opposed to being a reflection upon whether or not Pittsburgh is indeed a Hockeytahn.

Pittsburgh
01-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I just find it odd that FSNP considers itself a station that reflects Pittsburgh sports in the area, yet they neglect Pittsburgh sports.

Ever since that lottery ball dropped in our favor, all of a sudden people like hockey again in this city. There are new season ticket holders surrounding our section whom we never even seen before, Penguin tv ratings are up and merchandise sales are through the roof. You would think FSNP would jump on something like that and televise the WBS and Wheeling games. Promote the game at the lower level, get people interested in our prospects so they have a clue what to expect when they are called up. Maybe throw on a local college game from time to time.

Oh well, I guess they don't feel the same which is why I watch Penguins games on that channel and then turn it off until the next game is scheduled. In my opinion, it does not reflect well and I never hear any type of outcry from the fans in the area because of it. Anyways, congratulations to RMU on beating Miami of Ohio for a second time straight in Oxford. It's a shame it made only a sidenote in the local papers.

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2010, 05:02 PM
I agree about the quality of that network in general. Used to watch it all the time when it was chock full of original local sports programming. Now that it is pretty much just generic national programming, I rarely watch anything aside from the Pens games.

Up here in NEPA, they occassionally broadcast W-B/S Penguins games on T.V. on a different local channel (I attend at least a dozen local games per year...used to be almost 2 dozen, but not anymore). One night, they had Pittsburgh and Wilkes-Barre games on T.V. at the same time, so I would switch back and forth during commercials, and the quality of the broadcast of AHL games is absurdly poor (we have a nice modern arena when you are there live, but the sucky cameras make it look like they are playing in a dark old barn), especially when you are comparing it to the HD feed of an NHL game.

Pittsburgh
01-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Speaking of FSNP...

FSN Pittsburgh looks into controversial video replay
By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Last updated: 12:57 pm

CALGARY — FSN Pittsburgh has launched an investigation into an incident involving video replay of a waved-off goal by the Philadelphia Flyers at Mellon Arena last Thursday, multiple NHL officials confirmed today.

FSN Pitsburgh officials were not available for comment, but the company is expected to make a statement later today.

Word of this story broke out of Philadelphia late Tuesday.

The play in question was a goal not awarded to Flyers forward Simon Gagne. All video replays of the play were not sent to the NHL video replay room in Toronto, where all reviewable plays are looked at by league officials.

"With replays available to our hockey operations personnel at the time there was no definitive proof that the goal had been scored," NHL director of media relations John Dellapina said. "Once the puck is dropped and play resumes all rulings are final and cannot be changed."

The goal was not allowed, though the Flyers won the game, 7-4.

FSN Pittsburgh is the local television broadcaster of Penguins games. NHL replay officials in Toronto had access to video from FSN Pittsburgh and Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia, which did not have access to overhead cameras that are used to determine if pucks cross the goal line in disputes.

Videos used in disputed goal situations are not always the same as those viewers see on televised broadcasts.

NHL officials confirmed today that this sort of investigation is rare, but stressed that the league can take no action because FSN Pittsburgh works with the Penguins and not for the league.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 61810.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_661810.html)