PDA

View Full Version : Who Makes Better 1st Round Picks - Steelers or Pens????

flippy
06-27-2009, 09:11 AM
The Steelers have grabbed guys like Ben, Troy, Sanonio, Casey, Heath, etc in the first round.

The Pens had a pretty incredible streak of getting Fluery, Geno, Sid, and Gronk in back to back to back to back drafts.

I guess we'll get to see what the Pens do when picking at the end of the draft now.....Simon Despres

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-27-2009, 10:59 AM
You can't really give the team credit for their selections of guys like Crosby and Malkin. It is like giving someone credit for getting wet when standing outside in a rainstorm.

RuthlessBurgher
06-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah, since Sid and Fleury were first overall picks and Malkin and Staal were second overall picks that is apples and oranges compared to the Steelers, who typically pick in the latter portions of the first round.

In 2003, if they didn't take Fleury, they would have taken Eric Staal. Couldn't go wrong either way.

In 2004, there were 2 elite players, Ovechkin and Malkin. Since we picked second, we got whoever the Caps didn't take. Pretty hard to screw that one up.

In 2005, it was the Crosby draft. Every team had a shot at him, and every team wanted him. Absolute no brainer.

In 2006, if they didn't take Jordan Staal, they would have taken Jonathan Toews. Again, couldn't go wrong either way.

Hopefully, the Pens won't sniff the top portions of the draft again for a LOOOONG time (the Steelers haven't picked first since Bradshaw in 1970, but picked last 6 times after championship seasons...yeah, I know we traded up from 32 to 25 for Santonio after SBXL, but you get my point). I'd much rather many more instances of picking last like the Pens did last night than picking first again. I think the Despres pick at #30 was excellent value there...a best player available pick. Plus they got solid hockey bloodlines with Ulf Samuelsson's son, Randy Velischek's son, and Andy Bathgate's grandson. Not to mention the kid that broke all of the Minnesota H.S. scoring records. Good draft by the Pens.

papillon
06-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Some hockey teams, just like some football teams can screw anything up. The fact is the Pens still had the sense to take those guys; other teams would have screwed the pooch.

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
06-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Steelers, and it's not close. It's way harder to draft at the end of the rounds.

If you're looking for a hockey org. to compare the Steelers to, it's the Red Wings. Consistantly competitive, in part because they draft well when they're at the bottom of the first round.