PDA

View Full Version : Steelers team report

MeetJoeGreene
06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=t ... eam_report (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=teamreports-2009-nfl-pit&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report)

Some interesting blurbs:

Offseason Standout: Outside linebacker Bruce Davis(notes) looked vastly improved after a disappointing rookie season. The 2008 third-round pick got outplayed by undrafted rookie Patrick Bailey(notes), who went on to become a special teams force. But Davis showed signs that he is beginning to get more comfortable in his transition from defensive end at UCLA. Remember, Joey Porter(notes), Clark Haggans(notes), Jason Gildon, Mike Vrabel(notes) and LaMarr Woodley(notes) all struggled in their first year after transition from end.

Lineup Watch: Fifth-round 2008 pick Dennis Dixon(notes) has impressed the coaching staff this offseason and could make a strong push to unseat Charlie Batch(notes) as Ben Roethlisberger’s(notes) primary backup. Dixon can also potential run a form of the Wildcat offense if coordinator Bruce Arians incorporates it. If so, there’s a good chance Dixon will be the active No. 2 quarterback on game days.

My thoughts:

I am encouraged about Davis. But I didn't realize Woodley "struggled" his first year.

I will eat my own left foot if Arians is imaginative to run a wildcat.

RuthlessBurgher
06-26-2009, 12:13 PM
There were some head scratchers in there, though.

Players rarely leave the Steelers unless the Steelers no longer want them. Sometimes, they go kicking and screaming, such as Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca(notes) last year.

Faneca went kicking and screaming? Not quite. He was focused on going elsewhere as soon as Grimm left the team and we did not offer a moronic 7 year $50 million deal.

Players do leave as free agents, often, including cornerback Bryant McFadden(notes), tackle Marvel Smith(notes) and wide receiver Nate Washington(notes) this year. But the Steelers made no moves to sign any of them.

Well, we made no attempt to re-sign Marvel, but we did make offers for both BMac and Nate.

The Steelers got offensive tackle Max Starks(notes) signed to a long-term deal that saved some salary cap room, leaving Hood and guard Kraig Urbik(notes) (second round) as the only potential contract issues heading into training camp.
and

The Steelers have only two draft picks left unsigned, their top two picks: defensive lineman Ziggy Hood, drafted in the first round, and guard Kraig Urbik, drafted with the 79th overall pick, in the third round.

Make up your mind about what round Urbik was selected and stick with it!