PDA

View Full Version : If not us, which AFC North rival would you want to win a SB?

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2009, 01:51 PM
This awful question was posted in the AFC North Blog on ESPN.com.

I personally think that the "hater" at the end had the only correct answer, but that is just me.

:tt2 :tt1 :brownssuck :bungalssuck :ratsuck :tt2 :tt1

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth

June 25, 2009 11:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Our latest version of "Thought of the Day" might be the toughest to date.

If your favorite team can't win a Super Bowl this year, which AFC North rival would you want to hoist the Lombardi trophy instead?

ESPN.com readers had some unique perspectives for choosing between the Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers.

Here are the best responses from our AFC North inbox:

Brian from Annapolis, Md. writes: Die-hard Ravens fan here. If I could pick one division rival to win the Super Bowl, it would most certainly be the Brownies for one reason and one reason alone: So they could finally stop whining about Baltimore "stealing" its team. Oh poor you. You didn't have a team for three whole years but still knew you were going to get one shortly? Try thirteen years!!! Oh well, never going to happen so kind of a moot point.

Michael from Philadelphia, PA writes: As a Ravens fan, it would be a toss-up between the Bengals and Browns if I had to choose an AFC North team (besides the Ravens) to win the Super Bowl. However, if pressed, I'd say the Browns. The Bengals have been an awful franchise recently, but enjoyed a run of success in the '80s that took them to two Super Bowls (while the Reds also brought home a few World Series titles in the 70's and again in 1990). The Browns have had no such luck and Cleveland fans in general deserve better than the constant losing and heartbreak their three teams have delivered. Heck, even LeBron James can't seem to bring a title to Cleveland and he's the best basketball player on the planet, bar none. So I'd vote for the Browns.

Zac from Pittsburgh writes: If my Steelers can't repeat I would only be able to stomach watching the Ravens hoist the Lombardi trophy. As much as I hate them when we play against them, I respect them an equal amount. They at least bring some credibility to the division with a Super Bowl win in this decade. They play the game the way it should be played with physicality and no excuses. They also have a good front office that is very responsible and makes good calls on who to keep and let go. If I didn't bleed black and gold, I would probably be a Ravens fan.

Joey from East Liverpool, Ohio writes: I'm a Pittsburgh fan, and that means there is only one team you could pick: That team is the Cincinnati Bungals. To me, the Browns are the Browns and the Ravens are the other Browns. The Bengals are just the weak kid that my team picks on. I don't want the Ravens winning another, because they already have one. And nothing feels better than asking a Browns fan to hold up the number of fingers for each time they've been to the Super Bowl. Let's keep it that way.

Berttrum R. from Dayton, Ohio writes: As a Bengals fan choosing which other AFC North team I'd rather see win the Super Bowl, the decision seems pretty clear. Browns fans are the most obnoxious fans in football, and there are MASS QUANTITIES of them here in Dayton (but still more Bengals fans). Steelers fans, though less abundant here, are smug and spoiled, and though that's not really their fault, it's still annoying. I don't know any Ravens fans. I'll take the Ravens.

Aaron from Ohio writes: Yeah...I'm a Bengal fan and have been longer than I can remember. But for this truly unfair question I would choose...The Pittsburgh Steelers. Why you ask because I have a lot of family and friends who are Steeler fans and if I don't pick them I will be in for a world of hurt.

Dustin from Canton, Ohio writes: Being the diehard Browns fans that I am, I have a pure hate for the rest the AFC North but last season I was left with a difficult decision about who I wanted to win in the AFC championship game. I have always had a problem with the Ravens since Art Model up and moved the Browns to Baltimore and they're a team that you just naturally don't like because of their cocky defense, but all my life I have had a strong disgust for the Steelers and there for I could never root for them in anyway. I'm not saying that I went and found a purple shirt to sport for the game but I wanted nothing more than for the Steelers to lose.

Mike from Erie, PA writes: As a Browns fan, I could live with the Ravens winning. I have too much hatred for the Steelers and hope I never have to see them in the Super Bowl as long as I live. Even though the Ravens are a reminder that the Browns moved and have been terrible for 10 years, the Bengals have the worst fair-weather fans. Before 2005, Browns games were on almost every week in Cincinnati because the Bengals didn't sell out the games and were blacked out on TV. Football fair-weather fans don't deserve a good team. I would prefer not to see another AFC North Team win the Super Bowl except for the Browns but I don't see that happening anytime soon. But, I'll still watch ALL the games, even if we have a 4th string QB starting.

Tony from Honolulu writes: As a die-hard Steeler fan, If I had to pick a division rival to win the Super Bowl, it would have to be the new Browns. Our rivals are the old Browns, who now reside in Baltimore. The Steelers have lost to the Browns 3 times in 21 meetings, let's throw them a bone.

(AFC North hater of the week)

Jon from Pittsburgh, PA writes: JW, I have a response to your latest "Thought of the day." As a Steelers fan, I'm going to take an unforgiving stance on the issue. If my team can't win the Super Bowl, I'm going to cheer for whoever is facing the AFC North team that did make it. If we can't win it, no one can! If the Steelers had lost the AFCCG to the Ravens, I may have even bought a Larry Fitzgerald jersey to wear for the game!

Jigawatts
06-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Mike from Erie, PA writes: As a Browns fan, I could live with the Ravens winning. I have too much hatred for the Steelers and hope I never have to see them in the Super Bowl as long as I live. Even though the Ravens are a reminder that the Browns moved and have been terrible for 10 years, the Bengals have the worst fair-weather fans. Before 2005, Browns games were on almost every week in Cincinnati because the Bengals didn't sell out the games and were blacked out on TV. Football fair-weather fans don't deserve a good team. I would prefer not to see another AFC North Team win the Super Bowl except for the Browns but I don't see that happening anytime soon. But, I'll still watch ALL the games, even if we have a 4th string QB starting.

Is this guy only 4 months old?

Sugar
06-25-2009, 02:09 PM
If I had to answer this question I'd probably pull for the Bengals because I just feel sorry for them.

:bungalssuck

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2009, 02:18 PM

Is this guy only 4 months old?

http://a1.vox.com/6a00fa967d917200030110162d0551860c-500pi

Not much of a selection of NE Ohio child abuse evidence on Google image search. :brownssuck

Jigawatts
06-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Jon from Pittsburgh had the correct answer, but if I was really forced to choose (let's say
that Ray Lewis is holding a knife to my neck on a street that Donte Stallworth frequently
drives on while ocho stinko is threatening to move into my house) I'd have to pick the
Bungles.

Cleveland - I can't stand the browns fans around here when they beat us one time in
6 years. I can't imagine what would happen if the won the Super Bowl.

Baltimore - Two words. Ray Ray

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2009, 02:21 PM
If I had to answer this question I'd probably pull for the Bengals because I just feel sorry for them.

But then our adopted Bengal fan might get cocky.

Of course, if Jom ever bragged about a Cincy Super Bowl ring, we could always just ask him to show us how many rings are on the other hand... :D

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Jon from Pittsburgh had the correct answer, but if I was really forced to choose (let's say
that Ray Lewis is holding a knife to my neck on a street that Donte Stallworth frequently
drives on while ocho stinko is threatening to move into my house) I'd have to pick the
Bungles.

Cleveland - I can't stand the browns fans around here when they beat us one time in

As long as Chad Quatre-Vingt-Cinq is long retired by the time it happens.

Uncle Rico
06-25-2009, 02:38 PM
I'd say the Ratbirds because I think that it would reopen some of those old wounds again for Browns fans.

Jigawatts
06-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Bungles.

As long as Chad Quatre-Vingt-Cinq is long retired by the time it happens.

WORD. :Agree

papillon
06-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Is this a trick question? If the Steelers can't win the Super Bowl I keep hoping that they just cancel the d@mn thing! :tt2 There's no way I will even consider putting down in writing who I would want to win the Super Bowl from the AFCN. Everyone on this board would dredge it back up at some point in time and remind me of my indiscretion.

Pappy

RussBII
06-25-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and say the Bengals. Just so we can laugh are arses off when they go 2-14 the following year...

Also so they can stop whining about Kimo vs Carson's knee... I'm so sick of that. "That was our SUPER BOWL that year!!! Kimo took him out on purpose!!!" Just shut up, there's no way they would've beaten the Colts. End of story.

fezziwig
06-25-2009, 05:11 PM
I'd have to say the Browns. Their fans have suffered for decades watching their garbage team screw it up so many, many times.

They do have loyal fans and everyone should get to win at least once.

Ravens try to put bounties on our players and try to emulate the Steelers. Their only identity comes from being compared to the Steelers and they are just cheap knock offs. Their fans also feel they and their team are equal to the greatest sports franchise ever, at least in the NFL. No, they fell into a pile of mud and came out smelling like a rose for their Super Bowl win and that is enough.

Bengals had their chances and the owner and fans don't really deserve a championship. The owners do bone headed stuff like employing all those trouble makers and the fans only give a darn when winning.

Uncle Rico
06-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I'd have to say the Browns. Their fans have suffered for decades watching their garbage team screw it up so many, many times.
They do have loyal fans and everyone should get to win at least once.
It almost sounds like you're talking about those obnoxious Red Sox fans, circa 2003.

Wolfhound45
06-29-2009, 09:38 AM
A: None of the Above

Jooser
06-29-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm with Pappy on this one, Mum's the word from the Jooser....

:nono

mshifko
06-29-2009, 11:06 AM
ironically if i had to pick one team, it'd be the rats...i live in ohio, i can't stand the bengals/browns fans, so i'd rather see the goons in balty win it

of course i would rather no team other than us win it, but i'm just answer the question

ikestops85
06-29-2009, 11:32 AM
If the Steelers aren't in it there is no such thing as a SUPER BOWL!!! It's only SUPER when it involves the Black and Gold :tt2 :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
06-29-2009, 12:07 PM
A: None of the Above

Montgomery Brewster, famed multi-millionaire pitcher with the Hackensack Bulls, agrees with you. :P

http://blog.nj.com/njv_zohar_laor/2008/10/large_brewster.JPG

Jooser
06-29-2009, 12:22 PM
It really doesn't matter RB, I just heard them on ESPN First Take declare the Patriots as the next Super Bowl Champions. They have THE BEST front 7 in football on defense. Tom Brady at 75% health is still better than any D in the league. This whole discussion is moot. They also said that the Steelers won't get another Super Bowl handed to them like last year, and that the whole AFC North sucks. :| (and NE will beat either Arizona or Dallas in the SB this year).

:wft

sorry I didn't mean to try to hijack your thread, I just needed to vent....... :tt2

TallyStiller
06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
It really doesn't matter RB, I just heard them on ESPN First Take declare the Patriots as the next Super Bowl Champions. They have THE BEST front 7 in football on defense. Tom Brady at 75% health is still better than any D in the league. This whole discussion is moot. They also said that the Steelers won't get another Super Bowl handed to them like last year, and that the whole AFC North sucks. :| (and NE will beat either Arizona or Dallas in the SB this year).

:wft

sorry I didn't mean to try to hijack your thread, I just needed to vent....... :tt2

Was Skip "I'm the biggest moron on TV today now that Fat John Madden has retired" Bayless on that segment? If so, the drool over the Cheats*** is explained.

As to the original topic, I can't bring myself to answer the question. Simply can't do it. None of our divisional rivals, Oakland, New England or Dallas should ever win a Super Bowl again (or at least not in my lifetime)...

NC Steeler Fan
06-29-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry, but if another AFCN team goes to the SB besides us?

I

AM

OFFICIALLY

AN

NFC FAN FOR A DAY!

RuthlessBurgher
06-29-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm sorry, but if another AFCN team goes to the SB besides us?

I

AM

OFFICIALLY

AN

NFC FAN FOR A DAY!

Unless the NFC representative is Dallas. Then I would have to spend 4 hours doing this: :HeadBanger

Luckily, Dallas hasn't been able to win a single playoff game in over a dozen years now. :P

motter1975
06-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Much though it pains me to say it, I would have to go with ...<cough, choke, gag>... Baltimore. (God, it kills me to say that). But the thing is, the current Browns just plain suck, and I have no respect for the ownership or players in Cincinnatti, so, by default, that leaves the Ravens. They have a style of play that I can respect, so I guess I'd choose them. <sigh>

But, if both them and us made it to the playoffs, and they beat us to get to the Super Bowl, well, then, unless they were playing Dallas, I'd root for the NFC team.

Jigawatts
06-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Luckily, Dallas hasn't been able to win a single playoff game in over a dozen years now. :P

Yeah, but they have a really nice stadium to lose in. :lol:

JACKASS
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2008/01/jerry-jones-3-011308.jpg

feelthesteel
06-29-2009, 04:24 PM
NOBODY IM GREEDY

Jom112
06-29-2009, 08:45 PM

https://secure.mytshirtdesigns.com/images/uploads/2007073022142824528_lrg.jpg

But then our adopted Bengal fan might get cocky.

Of course, if Jom ever bragged about a Cincy Super Bowl ring, we could always just ask him to show us how many rings are on the other hand... :D

Hell yeah I would brag. As soon as I got out of the alcohol induced coma...