PDA

View Full Version : Willie Parker Stinks

Lambert
06-24-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't know what is worse, Another Year of Willie, or Another year of people defending Willie.

Its Mendenhall time! :Beer

LasVegasGuy
06-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't know what is worse, Another Year of Willie, or Another year of people defending Willie.

Dude, I couldn't agree with you more. FWP sucks. If I have to watch him dance around in the backfield to gain 1 yard I am going to lose it. How many times is he going to put us in 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 9 situations? We need a guy with vision and power, I hope, no I pray, that Mendenhall is the answer.

SteelCrazy
06-24-2009, 06:34 PM
I can't stand much more of this type of ignorance.....Come September

proudpittsburgher
06-24-2009, 06:40 PM
I can't stand much more of this type of ignorance.....Come September

Agreed. People were saying the same about Bussie toward the end of his career. Then he showed what he could so with a good blocking o-line in 04, 05. Look, Willie isn't nearly as bad as many on here think he is, but he isn't as good as some others say he is either. There are things that Mendenhaul can do better, and there are many things that Willie could do better. Time will tell.

Discipline of Steel
06-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Willie Parker will get his opportunity to prove himself in this training camp. If he earns the top spot, I wont question the deciders. If he gets relegated to second string or cut, I wont question the deciders. Im looking forward to another competitive year from my team.

With that said, my guess is that FWP starts the season as #1. Mendenhall will be a close #2 and splitting carries. By the end of the year, Mendenhall will easily outshine Parker, partly because he will be catching the ball out of the backfield. Then, when FWP is let go next year, it wont be a coaches decision, the stats will be self evident.

Nostradamus has spoken.

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2009, 06:52 PM

Of course! It's because Willie Parker's career yards per pass attempt is 0.0, isn't it?

Since that is the only stat that matters in the history of football, Willie Parker obviously sucks.

:owned

Lambert
06-24-2009, 06:57 PM

Dude, I couldn't agree with you more. FWP sucks. If I have to watch him dance around in the backfield to gain 1 yard I am going to lose it. How many times is he going to put us in 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 9 situations? .

When does it end.

Lambert
06-24-2009, 07:01 PM

Of course! It's because Willie Parker's career yards per pass attempt is 0.0, isn't it?

Since that is the only stat that matters in the history of football, Willie Parker obviously sucks.

smartmonies said Parker didn't have one first down in pass catching last year.
He said Moore had 18. Those are pretty important stats but I'm sure you know better.

Flasteel
06-24-2009, 07:04 PM

Dude, I couldn't agree with you more. FWP sucks. If I have to watch him dance around in the backfield to gain 1 yard I am going to lose it. How many times is he going to put us in 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 9 situations? We need a guy with vision and power, I hope, no I pray, that Mendenhall is the answer.

I can't wait to see what Mendenhall brings to the table as well but to say that Willie Parker stinks or sucks is just flat-out biased ignorance. I expect as much from two original LoD members. :lol:

Willie is not a grind-it-out short yardage back and by himself our attack is absolutely limited. Hopefully he won't be continually pounded between the tackles behind poor blocking by our interior line and Arians will begin to use him more on the edge where he belongs. This is exactly what we were all (well most of us) were looking forward to last year before Mendenhall got hurt.

I appreciate not only Parker's skill set but his attitude and work ethic as well. I don't try to make him into something he's not and have unrealistic expectations of him however.

SteelTorch
06-24-2009, 07:51 PM

Wow, what can I say to such logic? :roll:

NKySteeler
06-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Parker's numbers have suffered due to the idiot that is known as Bruce Arians... Brucie-boy is not utilizing his weapons in an efficient manner.... 9 times out of 10, the game starts with a Parker run off right tackle, resulting in very few yards... You can almost set your clock by it... With this in mind, I can't place too much of the blame on him.

While I hope Mendy proves to be a major force in our running game, and am not a huge Parker fan, I only want the best men on the field... I really think the two of them could be a leathal tandem... The only question is if Arians can dig his head out of his a** long enough to do so...

We have a stellar squad going into this '09 season, it's only a question of how they are managed... We have a top-notch head coach, and a HOF-defensive coach in LeBeau.... Unfortunately, on the offensive side of things, Arians leaves much to be desired in my own humble opinion.

... Parker has proven to be able to put-up big numbers, but the way he is used or called-upon also effects the way he is perceived, IMO.

Lambert
06-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Parker's numbers have suffered due to the idiot that is known as Bruce Arians... Brucie-boy is not utilizing his weapons in an efficient manner.... 9 times out of 10, the game starts with a Parker run off right tackle, resulting in very few yards... You can almost set your clock by it... With this in mind, I can't place too much of the blame on him.

While I hope Mendy proves to be a major force in our running game, and am not a huge Parker fan, I only want the best men on the field... I really think the two of them could be a leathal tandem... The only question is if Arians can dig his head out of his a** long enough to do so...

We have a stellar squad going into this '09 season, it's only a question of how they are managed... We have a top-notch head coach, and a HOF-defensive coach in LeBeau.... Unfortunately, on the offensive side of things, Arians leaves much to be desired in my own humble opinion.

... Parker has proven to be able to put-up big numbers, but the way he is used or called-upon also effects the way he is perceived, IMO.

Fans who blame Offensive coordinators for the issues really sound stupid. Take Woodley and Harrison away and replace them with defenders with equal ability to that of Colon and Starks, and then tell me how many records the Defense sets? Stop Blaming the coordinator. Grow up a bit.

stlrz d
06-24-2009, 09:10 PM

He said Moore had 18. Those are pretty important stats but I'm sure you know better.

You're talking about yourself and you're telling other people to grow up?

Mods, when is smartmonies/lambert/ohiosteelfan going to be shown the door again? Soon I hope....

Lambert
06-24-2009, 09:15 PM

You're talking about yourself and you're telling other people to grow up?

Mods, when is smartmonies/lambert/ohiosteelfan going to be shown the door again? Soon I hope....

I'm not MSM.

Acero
06-24-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm not MSM.

Like somebody previously stated, that makes you even MORE pathetic, since you're new to the board and all your posts refer to MSM as if he were your daddy.

Lambert
06-24-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm not MSM.

Like somebody previously stated, that makes you even MORE pathetic, since you're new to the board and all your posts refer to MSM as if he were your daddy.

I posted an article over at Dagger's site and now everything I post is MSM? Wrong.

anger 82&95
06-24-2009, 09:42 PM
He was absolutely horrendous against San Diego in the AFCCG! Get rid of the bum…

eniparadoxgma
06-24-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm not MSM.

I posted an article over at Dagger's site and now everything I post is MSM? Wrong.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahaa

Yeah, that makes total sense.

I would suggest that anyone, anyone at all, have a look at all 20 of your posts to see just how diverse and varied your discussion topics are. Have a little respect for your fellow Steeler fan brethren (if you really are a Steeler fan) and don't insult the intelligence of every member here.

I understand that you're attempting to drum up business for that little site of yours (which isn't worth more than the one I have with a couple friends for our video game clan lmao) but this type of alter-ego/"oh no I'm not MSM but that's all I talk about" BS is both pathetic and disturbing.

You're banned for a reason. Please stay that way.

Lambert
06-24-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm not MSM.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahaa

I would suggest that anyone, anyone at all, have a look at all 20 of your posts to see just how diverse and varied your discussion topics are. Have a little respect for your fellow Steeler fan brethren (if you really are a Steeler fan) and don't insult the intelligence of every member here.

I understand that you're attempting to drum up business for that little site of yours (which isn't worth more than the one I have with a couple friends for our video game clan lmao) but this type of alter-ego/"oh no I'm not MSM but that's all I talk about" BS is both pathetic and disturbing.

You don't even Believe In Jesus Christ. You hate Christians. Your opinion means nothing.

papillon
06-24-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm not MSM.

Eni,

I hope I get a chance to blow the froth off a beer with you one time. You're like Mastercard commercials, priceless. :Bow

Pappy

eniparadoxgma
06-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Now THAT'S the MSM I know, point, and laugh at. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lambert
06-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Now THAT'S the MSM I know, point, and laugh at. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to follow you and MSM over at Pittlive. I couldn't believe how much you hated on Christians.
What did they ever do to you?

costanza2k1
06-24-2009, 10:12 PM

I used to follow you and MSM over at Pittlive. I couldn't believe how much you hated on Christians.
What did they ever do to you?

Thank you, come again.

http://www.freewebs.com/bignall/simpsons_apu.jpg

eniparadoxgma
06-24-2009, 10:15 PM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7234/wiki001.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/i/wiki001.jpg/)

eniparadoxgma
06-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Forgot to give props on the wiki edit to TheToro (at TSF). :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

papillon
06-24-2009, 10:31 PM
http://www.thesteelersforum.com/yabbfiles/Smilies/roflmao.gifhttp://www.thesteelersforum.com/yabbfiles/Smilies/roflmao.gifhttp://www.thesteelersforum.com/yabbfiles/Smilies/roflmao.gif

Classic!

Pappy

feltdizz
06-24-2009, 10:59 PM
changing urine cakes.. :Bow classic. This is why I love MSM... he brings out the comedian in all of us....

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-24-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm not MSM.

You don't even Believe In Jesus Christ. You hate Christians. Your opinion means nothing.

Mods - is this a bannable post? I hope so, that might be the most offensive, pathetic thing I've read lately. Really tarnishes the high quality of this forum. I feel nauseous and embarrassed to be on a forum with someone who posts that.

NKySteeler
06-24-2009, 11:43 PM

Fans who blame Offensive coordinators for the issues really sound stupid. Take Woodley and Harrison away and replace them with defenders with equal ability to that of Colon and Starks, and then tell me how many records the Defense sets? Stop Blaming the coordinator. Grow up a bit.

You really have no clue. .... Moron.... How's that for being a "Christian"?.... :lol:

... That has no need being brought into the forum... You, sir, are truly an idiot... And clueless to boot.

NKySteeler
06-24-2009, 11:59 PM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7234/wiki001.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/i/wiki001.jpg/)

<<bows>> .... Priceless! :lol:

ANPSTEEL
06-25-2009, 12:03 AM

That is friking hysterical!!

Ahhhhh the good old days

:Bow

feltdizz
06-25-2009, 12:41 AM
lives comfortably in his moms basement and has a new futon and a pet hamster named harry...

damn.. my wife keeps asking me why I'm laughing.. and I'm scared to tell her why..

SteelCrazy
06-25-2009, 01:09 AM

What is really stupid? Really stupid is running the ball 3 straight times from the opponents 1 yard line thinking its going to work without adequate blocking and still not learning your lesson by trying the same STUPID shiznit the next game in the same situation!

Flasteel
06-25-2009, 03:30 AM

Holy crap that is the funniest thing I have seen on here in a long time. I would like to start a petition that we do NOT ban Lambert (or re-ban as the case may be). I need this kind of humor injected into my life from time to time. I didn't realize just how much I missed this.

Please mods...can we keep him?

eniparadoxgma
06-25-2009, 03:49 AM
Just to reiterate, all the credit for that wikipedia edit should go to TheToro over at TSF.

Great stuff. :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

fezziwig
06-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Why is it okay for you to hide Arians behind the excuse of a bad offensive line but Willie dosen't get the same love ?

If anyone gets to use the O-line as an excuse, it should be Willie. That's right, Arian continues to beat a dead horse by trying to shape Willie into to a Jerrome Bettis and running up the middle.
Allow the guy to use his God given gift of speed and allow him to attack the corner more often.

The day Willie is no longer a Steeler and kicking butt for some other team will be the same day many of you will cry, " we shouldn't have let him go, he never ran like that for us. '

His new team will have him a fullback, a line that can open holes and smart enough to allow him more stretching the O-line instead of up the middle.

LasVegasGuy
06-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Why is it okay for you to hide Arians behind the excuse of a bad offensive line but Willie dosen't get the same love ?

If anyone gets to use the O-line as an excuse, it should be Willie. That's right, Arian continues to beat a dead horse by trying to shape Willie into to a Jerrome Bettis and running up the middle.
Allow the guy to use his God given gift of speed and allow him to attack the corner more often.

The day Willie is no longer a Steeler and kicking butt for some other team will be the same day many of you will cry, " we shouldn't have let him go, he never ran like that for us. '

His new team will have him a fullback, a line that can open holes and smart enough to allow him more stretching the O-line instead of up the middle.

You don't think defenses right now force Willie to the outside because they know he can't do crap up the middle? And lets drop all this fullback stuff already. Good running backs make their own opportunities. Did Barry Sanders, Terrell Davis, Shaun Alexander, Jamaal Lewis or anyone else who has pushed or exceeded the 2000 yard barrier need a full back? No! Stop making excuses for FWP and come to grips on why he was an undrafted free agent.

Don't get me wrong I would keep Willie on the team but instead of RB next to his name it would say KR/PR.

ANPSTEEL
06-25-2009, 05:31 PM

Holy crap that is the funniest thing I have seen on here in a long time. I would like to start a petition that we do NOT ban Lambert (or re-ban as the case may be). I need this kind of humor injected into my life from time to time. I didn't realize just how much I missed this.

Please mods...can we keep him?

yes... ditto- please... far too funny.

i wish we had access to some of the threads on the trib- that ended getting locked and deleted.

unbelievably funny stuff there.

feltdizz
06-25-2009, 05:35 PM

You don't think defenses right now force Willie to the outside because they know he can't do crap up the middle? And lets drop all this fullback stuff already. Good running backs make their own opportunities. Did Barry Sanders, Terrell Davis, Shaun Alexander, Jamaal Lewis or anyone else who has pushed or exceeded the 2000 yard barrier need a full back? No! Stop making excuses for FWP and come to grips on why he was an undrafted free agent.

Don't get me wrong I would keep Willie on the team but instead of RB next to his name it would say KR/PR.

umm.. besides Barry Sanders all these guys had FB's..

Shanahan plugged a bunch of no names at RB and got 1200 out of them every year after Davis...
Alexander had the best FB in the game and was traded when the FB retired...

Lewis is a Clown who can't get 20 yards against us..

this was a terrible post Vegas...

Flasteel
06-25-2009, 05:37 PM

The year Sanders went over 2000 yards Cory Schlesinger and Tommy Vardell blocked for him as a fullback. Davis had an incredible offensive line while Alexander and Lewis were "big" backs who could more readily break through that initial contact. That's all beside the point. Nobody is trying to compare Parker to any of those backs. He is what he is and Parker is a guy who can hit the home run when he gets on the edge or receives adequate blocking up front. We need someone to tote the rock between the tackles and allow Willie to do his thing on the outside more regularly and we should have that in Mendenhall.

Since none of us have ever seen Parker return punts, why would you even suggest that? I think we have our man for that job in Joe Burnett and we need to keep Parker right where he is.

feltdizz
06-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Alexander had Max Strong..

LasVegasGuy
06-25-2009, 05:54 PM

umm.. besides Barry Sanders all these guys had FB's..

Shanahan plugged a bunch of no names at RB and got 1200 out of them every year after Davis...
Alexander had the best FB in the game and was traded when the FB retired...

Lewis is a Clown who can't get 20 yards against us..

this was a terrible post Vegas...

Your right fullback is the answer. All these guys would have sucked it it wasn't for the fullbacks helping them out :roll: .

Lewis is a clown? He may not have gotten 20 yards against us but he got 1900+ against everyone else. We are fortunate if FWP breaks a 1000. I will take the clown anyday of the week over 1 yard and a cloud of dust Parker.

LasVegasGuy
06-25-2009, 05:59 PM

Max Strong are you kidding me? Just because he had FB on his resume doesn't mean he contributed to the sucess of Alexander. For some reason I don't rember hearing "you know if it wasn't for Max Strong, Alexander would struggle at the RB postion."

Don't just name the FB that year and think that is the reason the running backs were successful. Your reaching, man.

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2009, 06:33 PM

Max Strong are you kidding me? Just because he had FB on his resume doesn't mean he contributed to the sucess of Alexander. For some reason I don't rember hearing "you know if it wasn't for Max Strong, Alexander would struggle at the RB postion."

Don't just name the FB that year and think that is the reason the running backs were successful. Your reaching, man.

Mack Strong was a respected fullback in this league. He helped Shaun Alexander to five 1000+ yard seasons, plus three 1000+ yard seasons for Ricky Watters, and another 1000+ yard season for Chris Warren at the end of his career in Seattle. Strong made the Pro Bowl twice. He wasn't just some schlock off the street.

AngryAsian
06-25-2009, 07:21 PM

Mack Strong was a respected fullback in this league. He helped Shaun Alexander to five 1000+ yard seasons, plus three 1000+ yard seasons for Ricky Watters, and another 1000+ yard season for Chris Warren at the end of his career in Seattle. Strong made the Pro Bowl twice. He wasn't just some schlock off the street.

Agreed.

stlrz d
06-25-2009, 07:30 PM
None of those guys were helped by a full back.

Ha ha!

:roll:

eniparadoxgma
06-25-2009, 08:26 PM
None of those guys were helped by a full back.

Ha ha!

:roll:

I don't even bother responding, personally. :Cheers

grotonsteel
06-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Willie Parker is a boom or bust type player. Willie Parker does not help this Steelers offense. Willie Parker's efficiency is horrible. Willie PArker is always MIA against good defense. I have never seen Willie Parker have a good game against a above average Defense in past couple of years.

Mendy was drafted for a reason by Steelers FO. This will be Willie PArker's last season in Black n Gold unless Mendy is a bust. I think Mendy will be starter by mid-season.

stlrz d
06-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Willie Parker is a boom or bust type player. Willie Parker does not help this Steelers offense. Willie Parker's efficiency is horrible. Willie PArker is always MIA against good defense. I have never seen Willie Parker have a good game against a above average Defense in past couple of years.

Mendy was drafted for a reason by Steelers FO. This will be Willie PArker's last season in Black n Gold unless Mendy is a bust. I think Mendy will be starter by mid-season.

Mendy was drafted because he was too good to pass on when he fell to us. Had he not fallen to us we would have ended up taking a different RB later in the draft.

As for FWP, here's just one example for you...that someone mentioned earlier in the thread. He put up 146 against the Chargers in the playoffs. The Chargers ranked 11th against the run, allowing only 22 yards per game more than we did. That's not bad.

papillon
06-26-2009, 07:15 AM

Mendy was drafted because he was too good to pass on when he fell to us. Had he not fallen to us we would have ended up taking a different RB later in the draft.

As for FWP, here's just one example for you...that someone mentioned earlier in the thread. He put up 146 against the Chargers in the playoffs. The Chargers ranked 11th against the run, allowing only 22 yards per game more than we did. That's not bad.

The Parker haters will always hate him and the Parker fans will always defend him. Persoanlly, he adds something to the offense that it has never had and that's the homerun hitter. That doesn't mean that's all he can do. He is such a determined athlete that I fully expect him to have an outstanding year and to put the Steelers FO on the spot to make decision on him at year's end.

That being said, I am looking forward to seeing Mendenhall reduce Parker's workload by about 160 touches this year. Between the two of them the Steelers running game has the potential to be in the top 10 for sure. If the Steelers get top 10 production in the running game their offense will be sick this year.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
06-26-2009, 08:51 AM
I think Mendenhall will make Parker a more effective back. Using Willie situationally should help him out tremendously. Remember back when he would average 5 yards per carry or more when used in tandem with another back? I think something like that can happen again if he doesn't have to shoulder the full load himself.

anger 82&amp;95
06-26-2009, 09:50 AM

The Parker haters will always hate him and the Parker fans will always defend him. Persoanlly, he adds something to the offense that it has never had and that's the homerun hitter. That doesn't mean that's all he can do. He is such a determined athlete that I fully expect him to have an outstanding year and to put the Steelers FO on the spot to make decision on him at year's end.

That being said, I am looking forward to seeing Mendenhall reduce Parker's workload by about 160 touches this year. Between the two of them the Steelers running game has the potential to be in the top 10 for sure. If the Steelers get top 10 production in the running game their offense will be sick this year.

PappyAn excellent post, FWP tends to be a “feast or famine” player, but when I see a general post, i.e., he stinks as a player, I can’t help but respond with a myopic rejoinder focusing on the situations when he “hit a home run for the team.” Do I hope that Mendenhall is that “traditional” back that the Steelers need, hell yes.

grotonsteel
06-26-2009, 10:54 AM
[quote=grotonsteel]Willie Parker is a boom or bust type player. Willie Parker does not help this Steelers offense. Willie Parker's efficiency is horrible. Willie PArker is always MIA against good defense. I have never seen Willie Parker have a good game against a above average Defense in past couple of years.

PappyAn excellent post, FWP tends to be a “feast or famine” player, but when I see a general post, i.e., he stinks as a player, I can’t help but respond with a myopic rejoinder focusing on the situations when he “hit a home run for the team.” Do I hope that Mendenhall is that “traditional” back that the Steelers need, hell yes.[/quote:cfvce790]

When was the last time Willie Parker hit a home run? Willie Parker is fast...but his speed has reduced over the years. He is only a situational back and maybe he can effectively run over a tired defense but he is not a starting RB in this league.

grotonsteel
06-26-2009, 11:04 AM

If Mendy was not available Steelers would have taken Jonathan Stewart with that pick.

Willie Parker had a great game against Chargers. But these games unfortunalely for Steelers are very few. IF we had an average running game in SuperBowl we would have won SB43 by atleast 2 TD.

I do hope he does well this season and help Steelers win 7th SB title but i have my reservations.

Slapstick
06-26-2009, 11:05 AM
When was the last time Willie Parker hit a home run? Willie Parker is fast...but his speed has reduced over the years. He is only a situational back and maybe he can effectively run over a tired defense but he is not a starting RB in this league.

This argument is not supportable...nor is it particularly well crafted...

Willie Parker is, apparently, a starting RB in this league...he started 11 games last year...he started 46 out of 48 games in the three years before that...I think that shows ample evidence that Willie Parker is, in fact, a starting RB in this league...

Now, you could have said something like, "Willie Parker's skills have diminished to the point where I no longer believe that he can be an effective starting RB in this league..."

Now, that is an opinion that can't be as easily dismissed as your actual post...which, I dismissed almost immediately...

I hope that helps...

Slapstick
06-26-2009, 11:06 AM
If Mendy was not available Steelers would have taken Jonathan Stewart with that pick.

Willie Parker had a great game against Chargers. But these games unfortunalely for Steelers are very few. IF we had an average running game in SuperBowl we would have won SB43 by atleast 2 TD.

I do hope he does well this season and help Steelers win 7th SB title but i have my reservations.

How? Stewart was long gone by the time the Steelers picked...

Or, are you implying that Carolina would have taken Mendenhall?

Please clarify...

papillon
06-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Most mock drafts leading up to the Stewart/Medenhall draft had both players off the board by the time the Steelers selected. I do remember one that had Stewart falling to the Steelers; but, most draftniks had both gone and, in most cases, Mendenhall being selected before Stewart. The Steelers took Mendenhall because he was great value at that position in the draft.

By being patient and waiting to see what happened the Steelers saw Mendenhall fall into their laps.

Pappy

grotonsteel
06-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Willie Parker is, apparently, a starting RB in this league...he started 11 games last year...he started 46 out of 48 games in the three years before that...I think that shows ample evidence that Willie Parker is, in fact, a starting RB in this league...

Now, you could have said something like, "Willie Parker's skills have diminished to the point where I no longer believe that he can be an effective starting RB in this league..."

Now, that is an opinion that can't be as easily dismissed as your actual post...which, I dismissed almost immediately...

I hope that helps...

My apologizes for not being clear....looking at his performance past 2 seasons he should not be a starting RB for Steelers in 2009-10 season.

grotonsteel
06-26-2009, 12:42 PM

How? Stewart was long gone by the time the Steelers picked...

Or, are you implying that Carolina would have taken Mendenhall?

Please clarify...

If Mendy was taken by Panthers...Stewart most probably would have fallen to Steelers.

Jigawatts
06-26-2009, 12:45 PM
While I think Mendy will be an upgrade, I think FWP is a capable running back. Wasn't
he leading the league in rushing in 2007 before he broke his leg late in the season.

fezziwig
06-26-2009, 04:42 PM
While I think Mendy will be an upgrade, I think FWP is a capable running back. Wasn't
he leading the league in rushing in 2007 before he broke his leg late in the season.

Yes

BURGH86STEEL
06-26-2009, 04:45 PM

I hope that helps...

My apologizes for not being clear....looking at his performance past 2 seasons he should not be a starting RB for Steelers in 2009-10 season.

You do realize that Parker was leading the league in rushing in 07 before he got hurt in the final game? If you are going to be critical of Parker, you should at least critique the right things. It would also help if you had your facts straight.

Time will tell if he can bounce back from the injury that plagued him last season.

fezziwig
06-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Everyone complains about our O-line but Willie is supposed to be the next Walter Peyton behind those guys.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Everyone complains about our O-line but Willie is supposed to be the next Walter Peyton behind those guys.
:Clap

I think FWP will have a better season for two reasons, both related to Mendy:

1) Fresher legs, less hits, as November and December roll around.
2) Relates to the opponent's film. They've got all they need on the current O-line/FWP combination. Put a new factor in there, like Mendy, and it will take the better part of a season, if at all, for most other D coordinators to figure out what to do with them. Kind of like when a 2nd string or rookie QB looks comes in and looks like the next coming of Terry Dan Montana Rothlisberger, "how could this much talent have been sitting on the bench*?". Then, come year two, they suck the big wazoo - the other teams have enough film to know how to neutralize him.

My :2c (after inflation).

*BTW - Big Ben is one of the few who proved to not be a flash in the pan. We'll see how much Joe Fellacio on the Boo-birds, and the latest KC QB ex-Pat* whiz kid suck this year (can't remember his name).

AngryAsian
06-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Hating FWP is like throwing out your coping saw because you couldn't use it to drill holes into dry wall. The right tool for the job and an intelligent contractor that knows how to implement noted tool. Backfield by consensus.

FWP around the corners
Mendy up the middle (with a FB lead blocking)
Moore in the flat for the screens

This is our recipe for success in the RB position

steelcityrules!!
06-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Hating FWP is like throwing out your coping saw because you couldn't use it to drill holes into dry wall. The right tool for the job and an intelligent contractor that knows how to implement noted tool. Backfield by consensus.

FWP around the corners

not only are you angry, but quite smart.

I think that recipe is what we need this year, and it should shift significantly to mendy by 2010.

grotonsteel
06-26-2009, 07:40 PM

I hope that helps...

You do realize that Parker was leading the league in rushing in 07 before he got hurt in the final game? If you are going to be critical of Parker, you should at least critique the right things. It would also help if you had your facts straight.

Time will tell if he can bounce back from the injury that plagued him last season.

Why do people forget how many carries Willie had in 2007?

SteelCrazy
06-26-2009, 08:31 PM

Pappy

Why cant every Steelers fan see through your eyes?? :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

SteelCrazy
06-26-2009, 08:34 PM

FWP around the corners

Perfect in theory, but that formula would be sniffed out by game 2.

stlrz d
06-26-2009, 08:51 PM

I hope that helps...

Why do people forget how many carries Willie had in 2007?

He averaged 4.1 per carry.

grotonsteel
06-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Willie Parker's YPA

2005 --> 4.7
2006 --> 4.4
2007 --> 4.1
2008 --> 3.8

Willie is a one trick pony. He may do good running behind Mendy...but he should not be Steelers starting RB in 2009-2010.

papillon
06-26-2009, 10:09 PM

Pappy

Why cant every Steelers fan see through your eyes?? :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Thank you kind sir.

Pappy

stlrz d
06-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Willie Parker's YPA

2005 --> 4.7
2006 --> 4.4
2007 --> 4.1
2008 --> 3.8

Willie is a one trick pony. He may do good running behind Mendy...but he should not be Steelers starting RB in 2009-2010.

Dude, do you think it's realistic for a team to have a pro-bowler at every position?

Pappy summed it up best. I meant to compliment him on that contribution but forgot to. So consider this me complimenting Pappy on that post. :Clap

feltdizz
06-30-2009, 12:01 PM

shh.. who needs facts..

feltdizz
06-30-2009, 12:03 PM

Mendy was drafted because when FWP went down we had nothing in the playoffs production wise..

and Mend was also drafted because he was young... we tend to draft players at these positions from time to time..

why do people act like drafting a RB is proof of something..

every year we draft players..

BradshawsHairdresser
06-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Willie Parker's YPA

2005 --> 4.7
2006 --> 4.4
2007 --> 4.1
2008 --> 3.8

Jerome Bettis was our starting RB for many years, and is arguably headed to the HOF.
What was his rushing average?

feltdizz
06-30-2009, 01:43 PM
I think Asian said it best.. FWP has flaws in his game but he is damn good when the OL blocks for him..

fezziwig
06-30-2009, 02:57 PM
You can't fault Willie for lack of effort and true, when the o-line can give him a glimps of light, Willie is golden.

Mendenhall better be half bulldozer if you guys think he doesn't need the line to make some openings for him.

feltdizz
06-30-2009, 03:32 PM
You can't fault Willie for lack of effort and true, when the o-line can give him a glimps of light, Willie is golden.

Mendenhall better be half bulldozer if you guys think he doesn't need the line to make some openings for him.

Ray Ray showed us what Mend needed to work on.. get low or get popped.

I watched him in college and he was FWP with vision... he is the future but until I see Mend explode on the field I don't see Mend replacing FWP this year....

fezziwig
06-30-2009, 08:03 PM
I agree, Mendy is the future but he will need in my opinion too, a full season before they allow Willie to slip off into the night.

I also feel Mendenhall was drafted due to best player to pick at their round. Why gamble on a project when you have a sure bet waiting to be picked.
As you said, once Willie went down ( leading NFL rusher at the time ) we had no one to carry the load.

Leading rusher with the worse NFL line and then his back up pretty much can't do a thing behind the same line and we lose the playoffs. Willie doesn't stink. He's not heaven sent but again, the guy is still good.

frankthetank1
07-01-2009, 04:59 PM

maybe that is because moore is always in the backfield when the steelers pass. that might have something to do with it. i love how you defend arians with the o-line stinks defense but when it comes to willie parker its all parker's fault and the o-line is fine. so am i to assume the o-line's run blocking is a million times better than pass blocking?

fezziwig
07-01-2009, 05:25 PM

maybe that is because moore is always in the backfield when the steelers pass. that might have something to do with it. i love how you defend arians with the o-line stinks defense but when it comes to willie parker its all parker's fault and the o-line is fine. so am i to assume the o-line's run blocking is a million times better than pass blocking?

Apples for apples is what the both of us seem to be talking about.

:Clap :Clap :Clap

grotonsteel
07-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Good RB's don't need a great O-line to get 3-4 yards. One needs a vision to create a hole which Willie lacks. Mendy was running well against Ravens which Willie has never done. How come Giants O-line looks so great? A RB like Brandon Jacobs make them Pro-bowlers.

grotonsteel
07-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Willie Parker's YPA

2005 --> 4.7
2006 --> 4.4
2007 --> 4.1
2008 --> 3.8

Jerome Bettis was our starting RB for many years, and is arguably headed to the HOF.

Bus was never a home run hitter. He would consistently give Steelers 3-4 yards per carry whereas Willie will go for one 40 yards carry and then it will be -1,0,1,2,0 yards carry...Now if you prefer Willie over Bus more power to you..But i would take Bus over Willie anyday...Again in my opinion Willie is a drive killer who can't punch the ball in end zone and also puts Big Ben in 3rd and long situation more often than not. IF we had Bus in SB 43, Steelers would have crushed Cards.

Willie Parker strength is his speed and his speed has decreased over the years maybe because of injuries hence YPA decreasing every year. I would prefer a RB who will not put Big Ben in 3rd and long situation very often.

BATMAN
07-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Not all backs can be big like Jerrome and your taking one of the all time greats to compare Willie against. Jerrome was better than most, big or small.

Yeah, all great big backs don't need a hole to get 3 or 4 yards :roll:

How soon many of you forget that people were calling for the Bus to retire. Three or four yard equal to 9 to 12 feet to run a ball against a defense with no help from your line. Believe me, the Bus got his crack to run the 3 or 4 yards. Muscle vs. speed can not be compared to a hole opening up to just a crack.
Jerrome was great and I watch past films that always reminds me just how good he was.
To say Willie stinks is just not true. I would like another Jerrome, not going to happen. Maybe Mendenhall will be the fit but I'll be surprised if he ever matches the skills and talent that Jerrome once had.
Lets just shoot Willie because he was born with speed rather than bulk.
If an O-line could do their part, Willie can use his talents.
Fine, let us figure on Mendenhall is the next great big back, our O-line problems are solved. We need no upgrades, we can sign the worse of the worse, save money and Mendy can do it all.

Should Parker leave this team still young and gas in his motor and make it to a team with an O-line that, can open holes to allow his talent to be utilized. I can hear it now. "We should have never let him go or, why didn't he do that for us ?" Answer, he is running behind the worse NFL line. Maybe they'll get better and Willie and Mendy can both eat up the yards.

BURGH86STEEL
07-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Willie Parker's YPA

2005 --> 4.7
2006 --> 4.4
2007 --> 4.1
2008 --> 3.8

Bus was never a home run hitter. He would consistently give Steelers 3-4 yards per carry whereas Willie will go for one 40 yards carry and then it will be -1,0,1,2,0 yards carry...Now if you prefer Willie over Bus more power to you..But i would take Bus over Willie anyday...Again in my opinion Willie is a drive killer who can't punch the ball in end zone and also puts Big Ben in 3rd and long situation more often than not. IF we had Bus in SB 43, Steelers would have crushed Cards.

Willie Parker strength is his speed and his speed has decreased over the years maybe because of injuries hence YPA decreasing every year. I would prefer a RB who will not put Big Ben in 3rd and long situation very often.

Not sure if Bettis always gave the team 3-4 yards consistently. Maybe you should look up some stats. I am fairly certain that Bettis had his share of mid range runs to keep his per carry average up. I don't believe it was because he average 3-4 yards every time out. That is probably a myth. There were times that he got stopped on 4th and 1 when the team needed it. RB's averages are usually slightly higher because they have those mid range runs to compensate. I don't think there is a question that Bettis ran behind better Olines then Parker.

It takes team offense to sustain drives, not one player. Parker has more single season TD's than any other Steelers RB. He is not a great goal line RB but he has shown the ability to get into the endzone.

You mean the same Bettis that killed the Seahawks in SB 40? I am not trying to knock Bettis but lets be fair. Rushing yards are harder to come by in the playoffs. Our Oline was not exactly the next great thing last season. Lets see how much they can improve off of last season.

Could the drop off in Oline play and the loss of Smith and Faneca have something to do with Parker's drop off in production? Those guys were the money side of the Olilne.
Parker and the Oline's injury status played a part. Going up against several top 10 defenses last season surely did not help the run game.

Realistically, how many QBs in the league don't have to deal with 3rd and long very often? It's why the QB's make the big bucks. Team's focus is usually to stop the run game 1st. When those defenses are not successful stopping the run, it usually leads to a very long day on the field. Why do you think the Steelers live by the philosophy on defense?

fezziwig
07-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Good response. Willie and the Steelers also went up against the second best defense three times last season (Ravens) plus, they had the most difficult schedule of the NFL.

I would have loved to seen Willie behind some of the lines and fullbacks that Bettis got to see. Willie is making his grades with far less. Is he better than Jerrome ? Heck no ! Does he stink ? Heck no !