PDA

View Full Version : ASK THE STEELERS – A.Q. SHIPLEY

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2009, 09:28 AM
http://news.steelers.com/article/105664/

From Paul Jefferson in New York: What was draft day like for you, waiting for the phone to ring?
A.Q. Shipley: It was rough. My agent did a good job of keeping me calm, telling me never get too high or low. I took that approach. My family was good support, my girlfriend and everybody. I just hung around and waited it out and when I finally got the call it made it really special.

From Rita Lloyd in Pennsylvania: What was your first reaction when you learned you were going to be the newest Pittsburgh Steeler?
A.Q. Shipley: It was awesome. My parents have been rooting the Steelers on since the 1970s. Ever since I was born I was a Steelers fan. When I got the call it was an amazing feeling and I couldn’t be happier.

From Greg Stewart in Pennsylvania: In your wildest dreams did you ever thing you would play for your hometown team?
A.Q. Shipley: Never in a million years. That’s the ultimate dream, the ultimate scenario. My parents are ecstatic, I am ecstatic. I am going to just work as hard as I can to make the city proud.

From Alex Martin in Texas: What was the reaction from your friends that you would be wearing the black and gold? Did they ask for tickets already?
A.Q. Shipley: Oh yeah, it’s been wild. I had to change my phone number. Everyone has been asking for jerseys and tickets. It’s been fun. It’s part of the responsibility. I just have to work hard and make everybody proud.

From Jasmine Briggs in Michigan: Did you know ahead of time the Steelers were interested in you?
A.Q. Shipley: I took a visit here so I knew somewhat. I knew they were going to be looking for some offensive linemen in the draft. I was hoping and it worked out for me. I couldn’t be happier.

From Benjamin Bream in Maryland: What is it going to be like to go into the locker room at Heinz Field for the first time and see your jersey hanging there and then take the field and see the Terrible Towels waving?
A.Q. Shipley: It’s going to be unreal. Two years ago I was at the Jacksonville playoff game and I was one of the guys waving the towel. Now to go out and experience it from field level as a player is going to be awesome.

From Mark James in Ohio: What was it like to see the six Super Bowl trophies for the first time?
A.Q. Shipley: It almost brings chills. You walk in there and see all of the history and the memories and pictures from those years. Then you see the trophies. It was an unbelievable feeling to have our picture taken with them at the rookie dinner. It was a pretty awesome feeling.

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2009, 10:06 AM
I think this quote is cool: "Two years ago I was at the Jacksonville playoff game and I was one of the guys waving the towel. Now to go out and experience it from field level as a player is going to be awesome."

He's been an actual fan in the stands, and now he is on the team. Gotta love those stories.

You gotta wonder, though, about what kind of a spin he could have gotten with that Towel of his (you know, with the short arms and all) :lol:

Perhaps he continually whacked himself in the face with the Towel since he could not raise it over his head, which led to him looking like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_46r1n1AcXio/ScMR8FPpGjI/AAAAAAAAEjw/rNfgWDHlzkg/s400/shipley.jpg

:P

costanza2k1
06-24-2009, 10:19 PM
haha too funny Ruthless. It's hard not to root for people like this, everyone loves the underdog. I hope this guy starts for us for years to come and just outright dominates the game. That would rock.

DukieBoy
06-25-2009, 10:35 PM
I think this quote is cool: "Two years ago I was at the Jacksonville playoff game and I was one of the guys waving the towel. Now to go out and experience it from field level as a player is going to be awesome."

He's been an actual fan in the stands, and now he is on the team. Gotta love those stories.

You gotta wonder, though, about what kind of a spin he could have gotten with that Towel of his (you know, with the short arms and all) :lol:

Perhaps he continually whacked himself in the face with the Towel since he could not raise it over his head, which led to him looking like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_46r1n1AcXio/ScMR8FPpGjI/AAAAAAAAEjw/rNfgWDHlzkg/s400/shipley.jpg

:P

Beldar, from Moon HS

fordfixer
06-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Part 2

Thursday, June 25, 2009

ASK THE STEELERS – A.Q. SHIPLEY – PART 2
Steelers.com brings you the Ask the Steelers feature. Fans submitted the questions that were asked. Please understand that we receive an incredible number of questions for each player, with many of the questions being similar, and not all of the questions can be answered. We selected as many as possible, and took your questions to the current subject to get your answers.

From Larry Bower in Florida: Is there more pressure coming to a Super Bowl champion or less because you don’t have to be a savior?
A.Q. Shipley: I think there is pressure in any profession, whether you are a financial advisor or anything. In order to be successful there is going to be pressure on you. Whether you were 0-16 like the Detroit Lions last year or whether you won the Super Bowl there is pressure to come in to do well for yourself, your family and your team. You just want to do as well as you possibly can.

From George Reynolds in Pennsylvania: How valuable are the OTA’s?
A.Q. Shipley: They are very valuable, especially for a young offensive lineman. It’s a chance to learn the plays and calls. Being a center I have to make a lot of the calls at the line of scrimmage and this have been very valuable for me, being able to pick apart Justin Hartwig’s brain, and get with Coach (Larry) Zierlein and Coach (Harold) Goodwin and try to understand the offense as much as possible before camp.

From Steve Foley in West Virginia: What was your first impression of the attitude among the team and the camaraderie?
A.Q. Shipley: It’s pretty awesome. You hear so many horror stories of NFL teams where it’s just a job, guys get in and out and there isn’t much camaraderie and family atmosphere. Around here there is something special.

From Tawnya Carper in Pennsylvania: Who is your favorite Steeler player of all time?
A.Q. Shipley: Mike Webster

From Tim Peterson in Arizona: The Steelers have an impressive tradition at center. What is it like to be a part of that?
A.Q. Shipley: It’s pretty awesome. I am just trying to do everything I can to learn as much as I can from Justin and Coach Zierlein and become one of the centers people talk about down the road.

From Jeff Chase in New Jersey: What kind of advice have you received so far from Justin Hartwig?
A.Q. Shipley: He has been helping me out a lot. He has been through it. He has seen a lot of the tricks of the trade. He has been able to help me out with advice from that standpoint, seeing different situations and everything.

From Thomas O’Malley in Michigan: How much of an adjustment do you think you will have coming from college to the pros?
A.Q. Shipley: I think there is a bigger physical adjustment coming from high school to college. Mentally it is a huge adjustment. Mentally they ask more of you at this point.

RuthlessBurgher
06-26-2009, 08:54 AM
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Karl-Malone-John-Stockton---2-Photofile-Photograph-C10109302.jpeg :D