View Full Version : Roethlisberger ready for some rest, relaxation

fordfixer
06-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Roethlisberger ready for some rest, relaxation
Steelers quarterback has some free time
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
By Laura Keeley, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09175/979384-66.stm

Now that the Steelers are officially on break until training camp, what is there for Ben Roethlisberger to do?

Lots, actually, including some youth football, golf, Penguins watching and traveling to Georgia for some rest and relaxation.

"It's been good, a little crazy," Roethlisberger said of the offseason. "It's been a lot of down time, but I get to play a lot of golf, so that has been fun."

Roethlisberger was able to pull himself from the links long enough to play host to his second annual Old Spice Ben Roethlisberger Football Camp at Mars Area High School. The camp, whose media sponsors include the Post-Gazette, runs three days for three hours in the morning for 450 boys and girls ages 7-14, concluding today. The cost for each child was $249.

The action yesterday started with an explanation of a fade route. Roethlisberger lined up under center and lobbed three perfect passes that each landed in the arms of the three kids chosen for the demonstration. Parents watching from the stands clapped in approval and simulated crowd noise.

"I just hope they have fun and learn one new thing," Roethlisberger said. "We're having a good time."

has learned a thing or two himself from the 2006 offseason, the previous time the Steelers were set to begin the year as defending Super Bowl champions. The 2006 team, however, finished a disappointing 8-8 and missed the playoffs. Roethlisberger is planning on using those lessons and the familiarity he has with Mike Tomlin's system to stay on top of the league.

"Everyone is gunning for you," Roethlisberger said. "Everyone is out to get that bull's-eye and get that title from you. It's going to take a lot to stay on the grind."

These next few weeks, though, are an opportunity to break from the daily work of football.

Golf is Roethlisberger's main relaxation and hobby, and he mainly plays at Treesdale and visits Nevillewood and Oakmont when he gets a chance.

Recently, Roethlisberger participated in the U.S. Open Challenge at Bethpage Black along with Michael Jordan and Justin Timberlake. Roethlisberger shot an 81 to win the challenge and called the course the toughest he has played.

Roethlisberger's 81 would not have been the worst round posted in the U.S. Open. Fred Funk, a staple on the PGA Tour for 20 years, shot an 82 in the final round. Even Tiger Woods, who called Roethlisberger before the challenge and told him there was no way the quarterback would break 100, was in Roethlisberger's neighborhood with an opening-round 74.

Roethlisberger debated calling Woods after the tournament was finished.

"You know, I thought about it and then thought better of it," Roethlisberger said. "It would kind of be like me throwing a couple of interceptions in a game and him calling me, so I'll let it go for a little while."

The event at Bethpage Black caused Roethlisberger to miss going to the seventh game of the Stanley Cup final in Detroit. He was at every home game, cheering for the Penguins, and said he was happy for the city, Mario Lemieux and the fans. He will have a chance to congratulate Lemieux in person when he plays in his celebrity golf tournament this week at Nemacolin.

After that, it will be time for Roethlisberger to head to his house in Georgia. In addition to golfing, he will fish, boat and just enjoy being on the water.

"I just go there to get away and relax," he said. "I just kind of get away from football for awhile."

Even though preseason camp is a Georgia trip and little more than a month away, many analysts already have made predictions for the upcoming season. Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher got his in early -- Jan.4, the first weekend of the playoffs last season -- and said the Cincinnati Bengals would make the playoffs this year.

Roethlisberger has not forgotten.

"You know what, I have heard Bill Cowher made a Bengals prediction," he said. "So, I guess that's the team to beat in the division."

Laura Keeley can be reached at lkeeley@post-gazette.com or 412-263-2193.
First published on June 24, 2009 at 12:02 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09175/97 ... JLZBTlSP&D (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09175/979384-66.stm#ixzz0JLZBTlSP&D)

Djfan
06-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Cowher. Whatever.

Hey Billy, do the Lions make it, too?

LasVegasGuy
06-24-2009, 12:26 PM
It seems like the Bengals and the Texans are this years darling teams to make the playoffs.

MeetJoeGreene
06-24-2009, 04:41 PM
After that, it will be time for Roethlisberger to head to his house in Georgia. In addition to golfing, he will fish, boat and just enjoy being on the water

I really hope he doesn't water ski or go fast in a speed boat.

Please Ben -- just float on a tube or use a pontoon boat.