PDA

View Full Version : Steeler CB Fernando Bryant Retires after 10 years in the NFL

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2009, 12:42 PM
If I had to guess, I would think that the Steelers were considering cutting him due to their depth in the secondary after drafting Lewis and Burnett and signing Ratliff, so he opted for the noble retirement over the embarrassment of being cut before camp.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_630711.html

Fernando Bryant, who played two games as Steeler, retiring
By The Tribune-Review
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Last updated: 12:00 pm

Steelers cornerback Fernando Bryant announced his retirement today following a 10-year NFL career.

Bryant, 32, signed with the Steelers on Nov. 11, 2008 and saw action in two regular-season games.

He was inactive for the Steelers' final five regular-season games and their playoff victories over San Diego and Baltimore and their triumph over Arizona in Super Bowl XLIII.

Bryant was originally drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars with the 26th overall pick in 1999. He also played with Detroit in a career that saw him start 109 of 112 games played.

Oviedo
06-23-2009, 12:59 PM
It is the dawning of the Age of Burnett and Lewis.

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Those two regular season games he played in means that he was able to collect some championship bling as a member of the team, though, even if he was not able to play in Super Bowl XLIII itself.

MeetJoeGreene
06-23-2009, 02:24 PM
I agree w/ RB on all of his points.... he would have been cut anyway..

and now he has his ring.

Eddie Spaghetti
06-23-2009, 08:00 PM
my cousin coached this kid at murfresboro riverdale in tennessee. always been a classy guy and represented himself well in the league. it's a shame he went to alabama.

good luck Mr. Bryant.