PDA

View Full Version : Starks signs four-year deal

PSU_dropout43
06-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Starks signs four-year deal
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

Sometimes in the NFL, both the player and the team get what they want from a contract negotiation. That applies perfectly to Max Starks and the Pittsburgh Steelers, because of the four-year contract signed by the team’s starting left tackle on Tuesday.

As this offseason began, the Steelers slapped the franchise tag on the unrestricted-free-agent-to-be Starks – one season after putting the transition tag on him – because they didn’t want to lose a player capable of starting at the critical left tackle spot.

That virtually assured Starks would spend the 2009 season with the Steelers, but at a salary cap figure of $8.45 million for the upcoming year it wasn’t necessarily the best arrangement for the team.

What the Steelers were seeking was a less onerous salary cap figure for 2009, and what Starks was seeking was some long-term security from the team that drafted him on the third round in 2004. The announcement of the four-year contract on June 23 accomplished all of that.

“I can finally take a sigh of relief,” said Starks, moments after signing the deal. “Everyone is probably happy the franchise tag is off of me. I am happy too. You get a big target on your back with that tag. I am happy we got a contract resolved going into the season. Hopefully it shows everyone I am happy to be here with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"I wanted to go into training camp knowing where I am going to be, knowing what my future holds. Now I know this is my home and this is potentially the place I will be ending my career. Most people don’t have the opportunity to make it this far in an NFL career and I have been blessed to make it this far and be on a team where they foster the type of attitude to keep guys together so you have the cohesiveness that everyone looks for and it’s successful for us."

Starks, 27, broke into the starting lineup in 2005 at right tackle, and he started every game that season for the Steelers team that won Super Bowl XL. He was one of the players who made a key block on Willie Parker’s 75-yard touchdown run that still is the longest in Super Bowl history.

But once Bill Cowher resigned as coach after the 2006 season, Starks lost his starting job at right tackle to Willie Colon. During the 2007 training camp – Mike Tomlin’s first as the Steelers’ coach – Starks began the summer at right tackle but then was switched to the left side as a backup to Marvel Smith. That move allowed Colon to entrench himself at right tackle and Starks began the season as a backup.

He ended up starting four games in 2007 because of injuries – all at left tackle - before getting injured himself late in the season and ending up on the injured reserve list for the AFC Wild Card Game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

During the 2008 offseason, Starks appeared to be an example of a disagreement between the personnel department and the coaching staff, because even though he was slapped with the transition tag that guaranteed him a salary of $6.9 million he opened training camp, and then the regular season as well, as a backup.

The low point for Starks likely was the Oct. 5 game against the Jaguars in Jacksonville. There, Marvel Smith was injured and couldn’t continue, and the decision on the sideline was to replace Smith with Trai Essex at left tackle instead of Starks.

But Starks came back to start the remainder of the season at left tackle, plus all three postseason games, including the Super Bowl XLIII win over the Arizona Cardinals. And now he has the long-term security he was seeking all along, and the Steelers have a more manageable salary cap situation.

“We now have guys you know are going to be here and you can count on, the guys who are rocks on the line,” said Starks. “I am happy to hopefully be one of those rocks and not a pebble on that line.”

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Anyone know what the new cap number will be?

Sounds like good news, but it will be hard to tell for sure until we learn about the particulars regarding signing bonus, yearly salaries, etc.

Oviedo
06-23-2009, 12:37 PM
This is very good news. Starks has gottten way to much cricism on this board. If you watch some of the sideline shots they show Starks is one of the players who is getting everyone pumped up. All indications are he is a good team guy. Hopefully Starks takes this as a motivator to reward the commitment that the team made to him with work ethic and performance commensurate with the salary.

What this really gets the Steelers is time to develop a LT ready to step in like Starks did.

It is really starting to worry me that so much is seemingly lining up perfectly for the Steelers this off season. Now get Heath under contract and let's rock and roll. :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2009, 12:51 PM
At PFT, Florio is "presuming" that the new deal averages at least $8 million per year. Take that for what it is worth.

Still no news posted on any of the Pittsburgh news sites (Post-Gazette, Tribune-Review, KDKA, WTAE, WPXI). But it is on the official team site, which is most important (but also the one that never divulges contract specifics).

Steelers Go Long-Term With Max Starks
Posted by Mike Florio on June 23, 2009, 12:36 p.m. EDT
The Pittsburgh Steelers have announced that tackle Max Starks, the team’s transition player in 2008 and its franchise player in 2009, has signed a long-term deal.

Per the release, it’s a four-year contract.

Starks replaced Marvel Smith as left tackle last season, due to Smith’s chronic back problems. Though Starks’ play had been largely disappointing for most of his career, he improved during last year’s Super Bowl run.

Starks had been scheduled to earn a guaranteed salary of $8.45 million in 2009.

Presumably, his new deal averages at least $8 million per year.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Good news indeed! He isn't a premier LT in this league but he is solid and could continue to grow. The Steelers have continued to find success with "Solid" OL that as a unit are very good. The left side of this OL is solid for years to come. Both Starks & Kemo have the abilty & room to improve...Let's just hope they do. Chemistry along the OL runs side by side with talent.

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Per ESPN's John Clayton:

Source: Starks get $26.3M contract
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed left tackle Max Starks to a $26.3 million, four-year contract, according to a source.

Included in the deal is $10 million in guaranteed money, the source said. The Steelers announced the deal Tuesday but did not give financial details. Starks is signed through 2012.

The agreement between the Steelers and Starks ends a two-year stretch in which Starks, as a transition player in 2008 and the franchise player in 2009, ate up a lot of Pittsburgh's cap room.

By getting a long-term deal, though, Starks was able to get a good read on his future. Even though the Steelers gave him the transition tag in 2008, he didn't open the season as a starter. Back problems for left tackle Marvel Smith led to Starks getting the chance to be the left tackle in the second half of last season. The 6-foot-8, 345-pound Starks remained at left tackle through the Super Bowl.

Starks had been an unsigned franchise player with an $8.451 million tender. His agreement is expected to save the Steelers around $3 million in salary-cap space.

The 27-year-old Starks has started 45 games during his first five seasons in Pittsburgh. He was a third-round draft pick of the Steelers in 2004.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
06-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Miller signs in 3...2...1...

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2009, 01:00 PM
With an average of just over six-and-a-half million per for four years, and $10 million guaranteed, I can most certainly live with that (especially since he would have been guaranteed $8.45 million for this year alone without this new deal). Seems like a winner of a deal for the Steelers. Now they can focus on extending Heath Miller and signing our first round pick Ziggy Hood (I'm assuming that the Kraig Urbik deal is probably already close to done, since they signed their other 2 third rounders in short order). We may even be able to work out extensions for Ryan Clark and Jeff Reed this off-season too. Excellent news.

SteelerNation1
06-23-2009, 02:26 PM
With an average of just over six-and-a-half million per for four years, and $10 million guaranteed, I can most certainly live with that (especially since he would have been guaranteed $8.45 million for this year alone without this new deal). Seems like a winner of a deal for the Steelers. Now they can focus on extending Heath Miller and signing our first round pick Ziggy Hood (I'm assuming that the Kraig Urbik deal is probably already close to done, since they signed their other 2 third rounders in short order). We may even be able to work out extensions for Ryan Clark and Jeff Reed this off-season too. Excellent news.
Nice post RB. I'll be honest, I thought NO WAY Starks signs & stays. Seems like a win-win for both sides. :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

MeetJoeGreene
06-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Well.

That is something done.

Doesn't appear to be to bad of a number, so we reduced our cap hit.

Not sure how crazy I am w/ the thought of Starks as LT for the next 4 years.

I do hope he improves.

GreggyDigital
06-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Great news and relatively cap friendly. I feel fine with Max at LT. Nothing amazing but provides a decent -> good skill set.

As other said before; lets extend some of those key contracts!

Oviedo
06-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Well.

That is something done.

Doesn't appear to be to bad of a number, so we reduced our cap hit.

Not sure how crazy I am w/ the thought of Starks as LT for the next 4 years.

I do hope he improves.

Starks may not be a Top 5 Left Tackle but he is definitely Top 15. That is not bad because getting a Top 5 is prohibitive and if you look at the teams paying Top 5 LT money I bet they don't have Top 5 QB like we do taking up a big percentage of cap.

This is a great signing because Starks was the most solid player on the OL the second half of last season. The bigger problem was the interior of the line and RT not Starks. Starks signing plus Kemo's exptension and drafting Urbik will do a lot to solidify this OL over the next couple of years.

I'll again remind everyone how the NY Giants OL was considered so bad about 4 years ago and now they are considered really good because they stuck with the players and let the OL grow together. I hope we see the same.

papillon
06-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Any chance the Steelers took into account the last two years of Starks' salary in this deal? The Steelers paid him about 14 million over two years (I think), add that to the 26 in this deal and you get 40 million over 6 years. That works out to about 7 million per year. Then since, he's been paid the 14 million and is guaranteed 10 million more that's like signing a contract with 24 million guaranteed. That seems to be right in line with the going rate for LTs.

Just a thought

Pappy

True Fan
06-23-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm kinda baffled by starks signing that contract. he mostly certainly would have been paid alot more by some foolish team next year if he hit the open market. i can live with starks as long as they extend some of our elite players now.

Oviedo
06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm kinda baffled by starks signing that contract. he mostly certainly would have been paid alot more by some foolish team next year if he hit the open market. i can live with starks as long as they extend some of our elite players now.

Nothing baffling about it at all. He has just protected himself against a career ending injury. The future has no guarantees so he took a reasonable offer that was here and now versus the potential for maybes and possibles.

You also have to figure that he wants to stay and he knows that he has the potential to win championships here versus going to a team with lots of cap space which by the way are almost always crap teams.

hellbanger
06-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Im curious as to what the coaching staff thinks. Why was he a 3rd stringer at the begining of the season? I remember hearing he didnt give 100% at practice, was he just butt hurt and pouty? Will this deal light a fire under his butt and fight to earn his money?

This whole Starks scenerio has been in the back of my mind all year as to what the real story is. If he was all pouty in the begining is this deal going to make him content?. I hope not, because then i wont be able to help but think his growth will stop.

Will we see Essex on the OL again at the start of the year? . Personaly I thik Starks can play and he got better at the end of the year. Im just wondering about his attitude towards it all. IDK interesting to say the least. Tomlin dont mess around.

:tt1

True Fan
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM

Nothing baffling about it at all. He has just protected himself against a career ending injury. The future has no guarantees so he took a reasonable offer that was here and now versus the potential for maybes and possibles.

You also have to figure that he wants to stay and he knows that he has the potential to win championships here versus going to a team with lots of cap space which by the way are almost always crap teams.

so the 15 million from last year and this year wasn't enough for the future?... :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Any chance the Steelers took into account the last two years of Starks' salary in this deal? The Steelers paid him about 14 million over two years (I think), add that to the 26 in this deal and you get 40 million over 6 years. That works out to about 7 million per year. Then since, he's been paid the 14 million and is guaranteed 10 million more that's like signing a contract with 24 million guaranteed. That seems to be right in line with the going rate for LTs.

Just a thought

Pappy

He got $6.9 million last year with the transition tag, and was scheduled to get $8.45 this year with the franchise tag, but this contract eliminates the franchise tag amount this year. So he never not $14 million then $10 million guaranteed. He got $6.9 million last year and now $10 million. The $8.45 million is no more. Poof! We save about $3 million under the cap this year because of this deal, which should help us to extend other important players like Miller, Clark, and Reed. I think guys like Keisel, Colon, and Parker may have to wait and see what is left next year.

feltdizz
06-23-2009, 03:57 PM
quick question.. why do so many people talk about Miller and how we need to lock him up?

I only ask because people make it sound like Miller would pull a TO or a Faneca and refuse to report or run for another team.. he just seems like the ultimate Steeler and one we would definitely resign yet some talk about him like he could be snatched up or swooned by Jerry Jones. :D

papillon
06-23-2009, 04:11 PM

Just a thought

Pappy

He got $6.9 million last year with the transition tag, and was scheduled to get $8.45 this year with the franchise tag, but this contract eliminates the franchise tag amount this year. So he never not $14 million then $10 million guaranteed. He got $6.9 million last year and now $10 million. The $8.45 million is no more. Poof! We save about $3 million under the cap this year because of this deal, which should help us to extend other important players like Miller, Clark, and Reed. I think guys like Keisel, Colon, and Parker may have to wait and see what is left next year.

That makes sense it just seemed like he was tagged (and paid) twice. Okay, the Steelers in effect worked out a 5 year 33 million dollar deal with 17 million guaranteed. Still not bad for a guy with room to improve and a solid LT in the NFL.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2009, 04:15 PM
quick question.. why do so many people talk about Miller and how we need to lock him up?

I only ask because people make it sound like Miller would pull a TO or a Faneca and refuse to report or run for another team.. he just seems like the ultimate Steeler and one we would definitely resign yet some talk about him like he could be snatched up or swooned by Jerry Jones. :D

Quite simply...out of all of the guys entering the last year of their contract this season, like Willie Parker, Willie Colon, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, Ryan Clark, Jeff Reed, etc., Heath is the best of the bunch. He's young and one of the best at his position in the league. Those types of guys you try to extend before they can even sniff free agency.

papillon
06-23-2009, 04:19 PM

Quite simply...out of all of the guys entering the last year of their contract this season, like Willie Parker, Willie Colon, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, Ryan Clark, Jeff Reed, etc., Heath is the best of the bunch. He's young and one of the best at his position in the league. Those types of guys you try to extend before they can even sniff free agency.

There it is :tt2 , when you have a player that many regard as a top 5 at his position you try and lock him up before he hits the market. I'd like to see that happen and then if there's anything left extend Clark. :tt2

Pappy

Oviedo
06-23-2009, 04:31 PM

There it is :tt2 , when you have a player that many regard as a top 5 at his position you try and lock him up before he hits the market. I'd like to see that happen and then if there's anything left extend Clark. :tt2

Pappy

I think Clark will have to sign for less to stay or we will see Ryan Mundy be given every chance to get the experience to play that position. Also keep in mind that you typically can draft the best safety coming out of college most years towards the end of the 1st Round where we typically slect. If the FO decides to let Clark leave then I could see us taking the best safety in next year's draft in Round 1.

phillyesq
06-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Nice post RB. I'll be honest, I thought NO WAY Starks signs & stays. Seems like a win-win for both sides. :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Ruthless, I agree that this seems like a great deal for the Steelers. In addition to cap flexibility this year, if there is really only $10 million guaranteed, depending on the structure of the deal, it still gives the Steelers some flexibility. If, after two years, the Steelers feel that one of the young guys is ready, or if a premier OT prospect falls to them in the draft next year, they can easily walk away from Starks after two years. Conversely, if Starks stay in shape and plays well, the Steelers have a LT locked down for 4 years at a reasonable cap number.

I'm very surprised that Starks resigned for "only" $10 million guaranteed. He was already guaranteed $8+ million this year, so he didn't gain a whole lot of security with the new deal.

fezziwig
06-23-2009, 05:04 PM
I think it's a good signing at the appropriate price. Max is good but not great but well worth the contract that he received.

NKySteeler
06-23-2009, 05:15 PM
There it is :tt2 , when you have a player that many regard as a top 5 at his position you try and lock him up before he hits the market.

... I personally would add Reed to that list as well. He seems to have mastered the winds at Heinz Field, and has been extremely consistent.

As for Miller, I looked up some of his contract info from last year, and he ranked #25 as far as top salaries at the position... I think this means he's gonna be looking for a sizable increase.

I'm sure there are several sites to view player/position/year salary info, but I used this one...

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/foot ... px?pos=134 (http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playersbyposition.aspx?pos=134)

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2009, 07:00 PM

Pappy

I think Clark will have to sign for less to stay or we will see Ryan Mundy be given every chance to get the experience to play that position. Also keep in mind that you typically can draft the best safety coming out of college most years towards the end of the 1st Round where we typically slect. If the FO decides to let Clark leave then I could see us taking the best safety in next year's draft in Round 1.

However, next year, the top safeties, USC's Taylor Mays and Tennessee's Eric Berry, could both be taken in the top 10. I think we will likely search for a potential replacement for Casey Hampton (possibly Terrence Cody from Alabama) or a replacement for Willie Colon (possibly Ciron Black from LSU).

pfelix73
06-23-2009, 07:00 PM
I think this is a good signing on both sides. It's way overdue. I'd like to see Essex compete for the RG spot now. Didn't do badly last year replacing Kemo in pre-season.

Letting this OL play and compete together is definitely the right thing to do. Some of these backups will eventually work in the starting lineup. Hills- RT comes to mind.

We have a good nucleus of young OLinemen now.

:tt1

Flasteel
06-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Wow. I'm shocked that Max "settled" for only $10M guaranteed and $28M over 4 years. He already had $8.45M guaranteed for this year and most certainly would have made more than the residual $1.55M next season, whether it was here or somewhere else. The only thing it seemingly protected him against is a devastating injury this season.

As far as a cap hit, the signing bonus is spread out over the life of the contract and according to reports we are saving $3M this season. I'm not sure if the guarantees were in the form of a signing bonus or in combination with roster bonuses the first couple of seasons but it would seem that he will "only" have a $3M salary this season (plus a $2.5M cap charge for the bonus) and that he would make less than that each season after. This is a steal if my math and reasoning are correct.

Regardless, Starks stepped up and did the right thing. Like Oviedo stated earlier, he has been getting abused in this space (unjustly in my opinion) for far too long. I for one am glad we've locked him up and if continues to improve, we'll have a solid LT for the next 4 years.

BURGH86STEEL
06-23-2009, 08:11 PM
I think this is a good deal for both sides. We will have to read all the complaints if Starks gives up a few sacks.

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Wow. I'm shocked that Max "settled" for only $10M guaranteed and $28M over 4 years. He already had $8.45M guaranteed for this year and most certainly would have made more than the residual $1.55M next season, whether it was here or somewhere else. The only thing it seemingly protected him against is a devastating injury this season.

As far as a cap hit, the signing bonus is spread out over the life of the contract and according to reports we are saving $3M this season. I'm not sure if the guarantees were in the form of a signing bonus or in combination with roster bonuses the first couple of seasons but it would seem that he will "only" have a $3M salary this season (plus a $2.5M cap charge for the bonus) and that he would make less than that each season after. This is a steal if my math and reasoning are correct.

Regardless, Starks stepped up and did the right thing. Like Oviedo stated earlier, he has been getting abused in this space (unjustly in my opinion) for far too long. I for one am glad we've locked him up and if continues to improve, we'll have a solid LT for the next 4 years.

Yes, it appears that his salary this season should be around $3 million (Clayton's $3 million cap savings projection is correct, it would be a $2.95 million salary plus $2.5 for the pro-rated portion of the $10 million signing bonus), giving him a cap hit of $5.45 million, which would be a $3 million cap savings from his $8.45 franchise tag value. But according to my math, he would not make less each season thereafter.

If those numbers are correct, after this season, he will have $13.35 million worth of salary spread out over the next three years in some fashion (an average of $4.45 million per season). They could make his salary something like $3.7 million in 2010 (cap hit: $6.2 million), $4.45 million in 2011 (cap hit: $6.95 million; he would count $5 million in dead money if he were cut before the 2011 season), and $5.2 million in 2012 (cap hit: $7.7 million; he would count $2.5 million in dead money if he were cut before the 2012 season).

Flasteel
06-23-2009, 10:11 PM

Yes, it appears that his salary this season should be around $3 million (Clayton's $3 million cap savings projection is correct, it would be a $2.95 million salary plus $2.5 for the pro-rated portion of the $10 million signing bonus), giving him a cap hit of $5.45 million, which would be a $3 million cap savings from his $8.45 franchise tag value. But according to my math, he would not make less each season thereafter.

If those numbers are correct, after this season, he will have $13.35 million worth of salary spread out over the next three years in some fashion (an average of $4.45 million per season). They could make his salary something like $3.7 million in 2010 (cap hit: $6.2 million), $4.45 million in 2011 (cap hit: $6.95 million; he would count $5 million in dead money if he were cut before the 2011 season), and $5.2 million in 2012 (cap hit: $7.7 million; he would count $2.5 million in dead money if he were cut before the 2012 season).

Duh. You're right on with the salaries in years 2-4 RB. I'm not sure how I screwed such simple math up. Even with those amounts, this is still one heck of a deal for a starting lert tackle in my opinion, especially if ol' Maxie continues to improve.

papillon
06-23-2009, 10:30 PM
The Steelers tend to take care of their own don't forget. Look what they did for Hines this year; I don't believe they really needed to do what they did. At this point Starks is starting to look like a lifer; the Steelers will take care of Max if Max will let them. It appears he will; there really was no reason for him to sign this contract. He would have received 8.5 million this year and then free agency in the off season. I'm certain he would have received much more than 10million guaranteed.

Max showed us all he wasn't quite as self-centered and greedy as we thought. Good for him.

Pappy

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
06-24-2009, 01:45 AM
I hope we can now sign Heath and some others that are in the waiting

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Max showed us all he wasn't quite as self-centered and greedy as we thought. Good for him.

Pappy

Not all of us thought that. I have defended Max throughout, from the time he was demoted (unjustly IMO) until just a few weeks ago when he was quoted about something that made him sound selfish. I can't remember the quote but I had said that it did not sound good if it was true, but I would have liked verification because it sounded out of character for Max.

I'm glad he signed. So far it looks like a decent deal for both sides, and in the range that I'd expected for him for awhile. On June 1 I posted 4 years, $28M, $12M SB in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6819 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6819)

Keep in mind that Max had not played LT since college until TC '07. He was awful that pre-season. He was forced into action late that year and played decently until he got hurt. He once again only played last year when injury gave him the opportunity. His play improved steadily until he was the best OL by far at the end of the year (yes, I know that isn't much to say, but it is true). He is inexperienced enough so that there is reason to believe that he can improve, and old enough to be entering his prime.

I look for Max to be solid and fulfill the length of this contract.

Oviedo
06-24-2009, 12:26 PM

Pappy

Not all of us thought that. I have defended Max throughout, from the time he was demoted (unjustly IMO) until just a few weeks ago when he was quoted about something that made him sound selfish. I can't remember the quote but I had said that it did not sound good if it was true, but I would have liked verification because it sounded out of character for Max.

I'm glad he signed. So far it looks like a decent deal for both sides, and in the range that I'd expected for him for awhile. On June 1 I posted 4 years, $28M, $12M SB in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6819 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6819)

Keep in mind that Max had not played LT since college until TC '07. He was awful that pre-season. He was forced into action late that year and played decently until he got hurt. He once again only played last year when injury gave him the opportunity. His play improved steadily until he was the best OL by far at the end of the year (yes, I know that isn't much to say, but it is true). He is inexperienced enough so that there is reason to believe that he can improve, and old enough to be entering his prime.

I look for Max to be solid and fulfill the length of this contract.

:Agree

IMO Max will develop into a good LT. It is on him to keep his weight under control, which has been a problem, and to continue to develop his technique and recognition skills Size and strength are not an issue.

Better play on the part of Kemo will make all the difference in the world on the left side. He needs to greatly improve his pass blocking.

buckeyehoppy
06-25-2009, 12:18 AM
To lead off, I'll come right out and say that I have been one of Max's harshest critics on this board. That being that, Max now has his extension and a chance at some uncharted ground here. No more worries over his future...he can come into camp knowing where he stands, for once, and maybe this will give him the chance to grow into a competent NFL LT. He is still young and should be able to grow into a Pro Bowl caliber player if he keeps his act together.

His deal is about middle-of-the-road for an NFL starting LT of his accomplishment and history. The deal shouldn't cost a lot to the team at any stage. If he can continue to grow and develop, the Steelers should have no worries over this deal. Hopefully, his amateurish play and unprofessional attitude is in the past. He's been in the league 6 years at this point...it's time for us all to see a Max Starks we can all be proud of.