PDA

View Full Version : Rivals respect, but still hate, Ward in toughest player vote

RuthlessBurgher
06-22-2009, 01:46 PM
From James Walker's AFC North blog on ESPN.com:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth

Finally, here is a little secret for ESPN.com's AFC North readers: I just completed an anonymous player survey for the division. I collected a good sample of players from all four teams, and the only rule was they couldn't vote for their own teammates. We will reveal the results gradually throughout the month of July. But the reason this was brought up is because one survey question was for toughest player in the division, and several rivals wanted to vote for Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward but said they couldn't bring themselves to do it. This happened at least once in the locker rooms of the Browns, Bengals and Ravens, which I thought was very interesting. It's a clear example of the mutual respect for Ward's toughness yet hatred for the 12-year veteran throughout the division.

Djfan
06-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Very cool. You wonder who Winslow would have voted for.

ramblinjim
06-22-2009, 07:44 PM
They can hate on Hines all the way to the hall of fame. And if Hines Ward doesn't make the pro football hall of fame it will be an NFL travesty.

Acero
06-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Call me crazy, call me a homer, but I actually believe Ward is more of a hall of famer than players like Terrell Owens or Randy Moss. For starters, he has two championships and several franchise records, whereas the other two guys DON'T and have pretty much jumped around franchises throughout their careers.

AngryAsian
06-22-2009, 09:41 PM
They can hate on Hines all the way to the hall of fame. And if Hines Ward doesn't make the pro football hall of fame it will be an NFL travesty.

He needs one more ring and he's a lock. Michael Irvin is in the hall only because he was a part of those championship squads. 3 is the magic number... and no naysayers can keep him out.

ramblinjim
06-23-2009, 09:34 AM

He needs one more ring and he's a lock. Michael Irvin is in the hall only because he was a part of those championship squads. 3 is the magic number... and no naysayers can keep him out.

When you're right, you're right. I guess we're just going to have to go out there and get one more ring for Hines. :tt2

ANPSTEEL
06-23-2009, 04:09 PM

i think you are both right, but seeing Dermonti Dawson still out of the HOF- makes me dubious about any steeler's chances -

i think it will be very interesting to see how the voting plays out when bettis is eligible.

papillon
06-23-2009, 04:22 PM

Stupidity knows no bounds when it comes to HOF voting. Dermontti Dawson is not in the HOF and he's widely regarded as on of the top 5 centers of all time, if not top 3 and possibly the best ever. So, Hines Ward may make it into the HOF, I'm almost certain he isn't a 1st ballot HOFer, unless, of course, he garners another ring or 2 :tt2

Pappy

ramblinjim
06-23-2009, 04:47 PM
I had forgotten about Dawson. LC isn't in either but much of that is Anti-70's Steelers BS. Dawson being left out is ridiculous.

fezziwig
06-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Call me crazy, call me a homer, but I actually believe Ward is more of a hall of famer than players like Terrell Owens or Randy Moss. For starters, he has two championships and several franchise records, whereas the other two guys DON'T and have pretty much jumped around franchises throughout their careers.

That's not crazy at all, Hines is more value to his team than those guys. Hall of Fame should also include what a player means to their team along with their stats. Hines has been positive to the team and not the cancer those other guys have discharged.

Some of these guys wouldn't get the attention or even be mentioned along with the Hall hadn't it not been for their infamous personality. You get a guy that is supposed to be a heavy hitter, shows it one or two seasons or just a few games a season and mix it in with gossip column behavior and all of a sudden, the writters have something to write about and people are perfumed up with the hype that they feel also equals a great football player or HOF canidate. Turns out all that they amount to be is, underachievers with felony gossip column splash.

papillon
06-23-2009, 10:52 PM
I had forgotten about Dawson. LC isn't in either but much of that is Anti-70's Steelers BS. Dawson being left out is ridiculous.

I was watching a game in which Dawson played, the Steelers ran a sweep and he pulled from the center position, kicked out the LB and then got into the secondary and wasted a safety. The back ran the ball 15 yards before he was even touched by a defender.

Pappy