PDA

View Full Version : Is Ben Ready for the 46?

NorthCoast
06-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Looks like Da Bears defense is comin at us twice a year (don't worry though, it's only the Stains playing it...):

Browns assistant has high hopes
By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal staff writer

POSTED: 07:40 p.m. EDT, Jun 17, 2009

BEREA: Rob Ryan opened his first news conference as Browns defensive coordinator by joking, ''Thanks for the hand,'' when no one responded to his introduction.

Then he was off to the races in a 20-minute session that was irreverent, quotable and totally entertaining.

At times self-deprecating and at times not afraid to toot his own horn, Ryan seemed like a breath of fresh air in the locked-down bunker kept by coach Eric Mangini.

Ryan, 46, the son of former NFL coach Buddy Ryan and twin brother of new New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, takes over a defense that ranked 26th in the league last season and has failed to stop the run and rush the passer since the team's rebirth in 1999. But to say he's enthusiastic about the task at hand would be an understatement.

''We're going to have an attacking defense, it's going to be an exciting defense, and we're going to play great football,'' Ryan said.

''I've had success coaching wherever I've been. For whatever reason my guys play hard, they don't quit. I can count games where I felt we didn't do well and we quit on one hand in all my years in coaching. We're going to fight like hell, just like the people in Cleveland would want us to.''

The Browns finished 28th against the run in 2008, and Ryan had similar problems during the past five years as defensive coordinator of the Oakland Raiders. The Raiders ranked 31st against the run the past two years and 25th in 2006.

''You have to be well-coordinated,'' he said. ''In Oakland the last three years, if you want to look at stats, we weren't very successful there, either, and my whole life I've stopped the run. There's fine talent here, everyone's working hard, their attitudes are great, they've taken to Eric. We'll make sure we get that done.''

As for the pass rush, the Browns' 17 sacks tied the Cincinnati Bengals for next-to-last in the league, and Ryan hesitated to predict improvement. It was the only area where he didn't seem to be shooting for the moon.

''I wasn't in the huddles, I'm not sure exactly what the problems were,'' he said. ''With today's game and in this league you get a lot of max protect in our conference and you've got a lot of quick, three-step passing games. Maybe the numbers aren't going to be so high. I'm sure we'll do better, but it's a work in progress.''

Ryan said his 3-4 scheme might not resemble that of former coach Romeo Crennel. Ryan also will mix in some of the 46 defensive scheme that his father made famous as defensive coordinator of the 1985 Super Bowl champion Chicago Bears.

''I'm not here to farm anybody else's land,'' Ryan said. ''I'm not sure how things were done here in the past. We want to have multiple players who can play different spots and cause confusion. Right now the first thing is to line up and play with good technique.''

As for the 46, Ryan said: ''You'll see that on Sundays. The 46 was designed as a nickel defense, it's wasn't really the base for my father, either. It just started stopping everything.''

Ryan said during the four years he spent with Mangini with the New England Patriots from 2000-03, Mangini prodded him to teach him the 46. Mangini was defensive backs coach; Ryan directed linebackers.

''In New England we worked together a lot,'' Ryan said of Mangini. ''You'd be tired, you'd just worked two-a-days and you're ready to go to bed and he'd say, 'Come on, put those tapes on, let's watch it for an hour.' He's eventually the one who got it into New England, we had so much success with it there. It's something that's going to be part of our package.''

During their time together as Patriots assistants, Ryan came to respect Mangini's leadership ability, calling it ''phenomenal.''

''He can motivate you into doing things you don't want to do,'' Ryan said. ''We worked out 162 straight days and he made me do it because I fought every day to get out of it.

'' 'Put that 46 on, teach it to me,' he's just a grinder that way. He brings the best out of me, and he'll bring the best out of every player. He's so relentless that he makes you win. He had more to do with us having success in New England than probably anybody besides Tom Brady. I'll give him his due. He's that good of a coach.''

Asked how many days he has worked out in a row since coming to Cleveland, Ryan said, ''That would be zero.''

''We're waiting for training camp,'' Ryan said. ''Eric has had Green Berets come in, one of those ninja guys talked about losing weight. Whatever it takes. I'll lose 100 pounds if it means we'll win a Super Bowl.''

http://www.ohio.com/sports/48291312.html

Jooser
06-18-2009, 08:52 PM
''We're waiting for training camp,'' Ryan said. ''Eric has had Green Berets come in, one of those ninja guys talked about losing weight. Whatever it takes. I'll lose 100 pounds if it means we'll win a Super Bowl.''

Neither is likely.... :brownssuck

RuthlessBurgher
06-18-2009, 09:29 PM
In one breath:

''I've had success coaching wherever I've been. For whatever reason my guys play hard, they don't quit. I can count games where I felt we didn't do well and we quit on one hand in all my years in coaching."

In the next breath:

''You have to be well-coordinated. In Oakland the last three years, if you want to look at stats, we weren't very successful there, either."

The Browns finished 28th against the run in 2008, and Ryan had similar problems during the past five years as defensive coordinator of the Oakland Raiders. The Raiders ranked 31st against the run the past two years and 25th in 2006.

:lol: :brownssuck

Ozey74
06-18-2009, 10:19 PM
It's the same thing every year around this time. Every team thinks they are going to the playoffs. Each offseason, we are not tooting our on horn and we end up rising to the top come late December.

:brownssuck

:ratsuck

:bungalssuck

Crash
06-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Um, Ben has played the 46 defense before, Raiders, Titans, Ravens.

Oracle
06-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Ben will do well against any defense where they're only pass rushing four guys. If we max protect and let him shuffle about in the pocket long enough he'll find his open man.

RuthlessBurgher
06-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Ben will do well against any defense where they're only pass rushing four guys. If we max protect and let him shuffle about in the pocket long enough he'll find his open man.

The 46 defense is not a description of how many d-linemen and linebackers are on the field at any given time (like the 4-3 and 3-4)...the 46 is the jersey number of former Bears safety Doug Plank, who often would cheat up to be an 8th man in the box next to Singletary, which allowed the other two linebackers to overload the same side, thus confusing the o-lineman. They could just rush four, but they could also do a kamikaze blitz with all eight coming at you at once. A West Coast style offense with short passes into the zones that are vacated by this unique defensive formation tends to be the antidote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/46_defense

Northern_Blitz
06-19-2009, 10:04 AM

The 46 defense is not a description of how many d-linemen and linebackers are on the field at any given time (like the 4-3 and 3-4)...the 46 is the jersey number of former Bears safety Doug Plank, who often would cheat up to be an 8th man in the box next to Singletary, which allowed the other two linebackers to overload the same side, thus confusing the o-lineman. They could just rush four, but they could also do a kamikaze blitz with all eight coming at you at once. A West Coast style offense with short passes into the zones that are vacated by this unique defensive formation tends to be the antidote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/46_defense

But for whatever reason, we tend to look for the homerun, and not for "west coast" style passes. Remember how we didn't adapt in Philly. :stirpot

steelernation77
06-19-2009, 10:56 AM
As for the pass rush, the Browns' 17 sacks tied the Cincinnati Bengals for next-to-last in the league, and Ryan hesitated to predict improvement. It was the only area where he didn't seem to be shooting for the moon.

The Chiefs had the least sacks in the NFL with 10, not the Bengals. I think it was an NFL record. Unless by league he means division, which would be stupid.

RuthlessBurgher
06-19-2009, 12:08 PM

The Chiefs had the least sacks in the NFL with 10, not the Bengals. I think it was an NFL record. Unless by league he means division, which would be stupid.

You are both right. The Chiefs were the worst with only 10 sacks, but the author was also correct...the Browns tied the Bengals for next-to-last in the league with 17 sacks each.

feltdizz
06-19-2009, 02:41 PM

Tell Brady about that weak pass rush LOL!!!

papillon
06-19-2009, 03:10 PM
The 46 was a fad defense that worked simply because the Bears had better players than the rest of the league at defensive line and linebacker. The corners and safeties are required to be very good 1 on 1 cover guys and if they aren't the 46 will get torched. You ask is Ben ready for the 46? I ask, Is the 46 ready for Ben?

Pappy

Slapstick
06-19-2009, 04:43 PM
It seems odd to say this, but Crash is right...

Rex Ryan installed the "46" defense in Baltimore when he took over after Mike Nolan left...

Jeff Fisher played for Buddy Ryan's Bear defense before Cowher inadvertently ended his career...Fisher brought the 46 to Tennessee...

Ben has also played (unsuccessfully at times) against Rob Ryan's D also...

grotonsteel
06-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Ben has also played (unsuccessfully at times) against Rob Ryan's D also...

Big Ben had struggled against Raiders....Big Ben had motorcycle accident that year and a concussion in previous game

I think Big Ben-Mendy should be able to dominate Rob Ryan's D this year... :brownssuck

NorthCoast
06-21-2009, 08:27 PM
The poster is correct. The short pass/West Coast is the antidote, but this is not Ben's strongest game. It is why he struggled in Tennessee. Without some major talent infusion the Browns do not have the secondary to be effective in this defense. The only chance they have is if they catch the Steelers off guard early in the season due to a new offense and defense (from yet another coaching change).