PDA

View Full Version : ESPN "important replacement" article

anger 82&95
06-16-2009, 01:47 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=replacements

Pittsburgh Steelers

Who's out: Larry Foote, inside linebacker, Detroit Lions

Who's in: Lawrence Timmons, inside linebacker

Outlook: Despite his inexperience, Timmons' athleticism and versatility should give Pittsburgh's linebacking group an upgrade, which is a scary thought.

Foote was solid but is primarily a run stuffer. Timmons is just as physical, but can also blitz the passer and is fast enough to drop deep in coverage and cover tight ends.

Expect defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau to come up with interesting ways to use Timmons this season. Pittsburgh's coaching staff has high hopes for Timmons as a full-time starter.

steelsnis
06-16-2009, 02:00 PM
He stinks! He didn't even start at Florida State! He missed training camp his rookie year! He couldn't even score on an 88 yard interception return vs. the Patriots! McClain scored a 1-yd TD on him! He's a 4-3 linebacker! He doesn't know the playbook! He's a communist!

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2009, 02:08 PM
He stinks! He didn't even start at Florida State! He missed training camp his rookie year! He couldn't even score on an 88 yard interception return vs. the Patriots! McClain scored a 1-yd TD on him! He's a 4-3 linebacker! He doesn't know the playbook! He's a communist!

C'mon now...let's not exaggerate here. He's obviously not a communist. That's just ridiculous. He's clearly a Nazi. Get your damn facts straight! :P

Oviedo
06-16-2009, 02:40 PM

C'mon now...let's not exaggerate here. He's obviously not a communist. That's just ridiculous. He's clearly a Nazi. Get your damn facts straight! :P

You're both wrong. He is a "bust!!!!" Always will be since he didn't make the Pro Bowl his rookie year. Worse yet he was the first draft pick by an "overpaid janitor."

As an aside, in restrospect isn't funny how time typically proves idiots to be idiots and exposes their complete lack of football knowledge.

anger 82&95
06-16-2009, 02:48 PM

C'mon now...let's not exaggerate here. He's obviously not a communist. That's just ridiculous. He's clearly a Nazi. Get your damn facts straight! :P For once RuthlessBurgher you are wrong regarding something Steeler oriented! This is a recent release from the CIA regarding Timmons: "Certain unsubstantiated rumors continue to abound regarding Lawrence Timmons affiliations with certain unsanctioned “left wing” associations. One persistent anecdote connects the Ex-Florida State football player with a Central American organization called the CCF or, as it is more commonly known, Che Guevara Forever! When approached with these assertions, Timmons exclaimed, “I would officially like to change my name to L. Trotsky, and yes, my only true dream in this bourgeoisie capitalistic society is to fool some unsuspecting fiscally-oriented team into wasting a high draft pick on me. In reality, I would play football for a coach who recognizes the plight of the proletarian, a common man; perhaps a janitor.” When the topic of his alleged game-changing Interception against the Patriots was broached, Timmons quickly shrugged it off “as so much capitalistic propaganda.”

MeetJoeGreene
06-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I have high hopes for Timmons and he did well in his action last year... I also appreciate and identify with the tone of the sarcasm....

BUT.........

He HASN'T actually played a full year as a starter on every down. I hope he does well (and think he well), but it is NOT a given.

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2009, 03:20 PM
I have high hopes for Timmons and he did well in his action last year... I also appreciate and identify with the tone of the sarcasm....

BUT.........

He HASN'T actually played a full year as a starter on every down. I hope he does well (and think he well), but it is NOT a given.

At this time last year, however, LaMarr Woodley hadn't actually played a full year as a starter on every down either, but we were all excited about the prospect of him replacing the imcumbant Clark Haggans (and rightfully so).

MeetJoeGreene
06-16-2009, 03:28 PM

BUT.........

At this time last year, however, LaMarr Woodley hadn't actually played a full year as a starter on every down either, but we were all excited about the prospect of him replacing the imcumbant Clark Haggans (and rightfully so).

True Dat!

Oviedo
06-16-2009, 04:27 PM

BUT.........

Given the following stats as a "part time" player last season gives a little more than "hope" to go on.

56 Tackles
21 Assists
5 Sacks
1 INT
1 Fumble Recovery

Timmons is a player and will this year be making more splash plays. Can't believe anyone thinks this is not going to be an improvement over Foote.

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2009, 04:36 PM

BUT.........

Given the following stats as a "part time" player last season gives a little more than "hope" to go on.

56 Tackles
21 Assists
5 Sacks
1 INT
1 Fumble Recovery

Timmons is a player and will this year be making more splash plays. Can't believe anyone thinks this is not going to be an improvement over Foote.

The only worry last year wasn't whether or not Woodley would be an improvement over Haggans. The worry was about the loss of depth behind the starters if Harrison or Woodley would have been hurt.

Similarly, this year, the worry isn't whether or not Timmons will be an improvement over Foote. The worry is about the loss of depth behind the starters if Farrior or Timmons get hurt.

Last year, Timmons was our ace in the hole if any of our starting 4 LB's inside or outside would have gone down, but we don't have an option like him waiting in the wings right now if one of our starters get hurt.

Based on their performance on special teams, I think guys like Key Fox, Donovan Woods, Pat Bailey, and Bruce Davis should provide decent depth at the LB positions, but none of these guys have any real experience in our defensive sets other than in preseason last year.

SteelHead
06-16-2009, 05:19 PM

BUT.........

56 Tackles
21 Assists
5 Sacks
1 INT
1 Fumble Recovery

The only worry last year wasn't whether or not Woodley would be an improvement over Haggans. The worry was about the loss of depth behind the starters if Harrison or Woodley would have been hurt.

Similarly, this year, the worry isn't whether or not Timmons will be an improvement over Foote. The worry is about the loss of depth behind the starters if Farrior or Timmons get hurt.

Last year, Timmons was our ace in the hole if any of our starting 4 LB's inside or outside would have gone down, but we don't have an option like him waiting in the wings right now if one of our starters get hurt.

Based on their performance on special teams, I think guys like Key Fox, Donovan Woods, Pat Bailey, and Bruce Davis should provide decent depth at the LB positions, but none of these guys have any real experience in our defensive sets other than in preseason last year.

Great point. Depth is a real concern but our LB's have proven to be very durable.

IMO here's the deal with Timmons......He is a freak athletically. Think about it , what other LB in the league closes as fast as this guy. NOBODY. He is a better blitzer than Foote for that reason alone although he did have a few RB's stuff him last year. He'll improve in this area with more experience. He is head and shoulder above Foote in pass coverage as he can turn his hips and run with just about any TE or RB. The knock on him according to a lot of what I read here is that he dosn't shed blockers in the run game. Well its true to an extent , he had troubles at time last year when he was in there on run downs but let's face it so did Farrior and Foote. Go back and watch the games , Larry got eaten up by guards plenty of times. Even Potsie dosn't always win the battle. The ONLY edge Foote had was his knowledge of the defense and feel for the game which I'll admit counts for a lot but I can't imagine Timmons is that far behind in that department with who he's got teaching him and when he does catch up , look out. Lawrence is a unique football player , I don't think you can peg him into one position, he has TRUE flexibility. My money is on him becoming one of the most dynamic backers in the league. Let's see, that would give us 4 of them. :tt2

skyhawk
06-20-2009, 08:06 PM
I have my doubts that he can play the run as well as Foote did. Athleticism isn't all that's needed to play the inside position.