PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' new rings a bit much

fordfixer
06-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Mehno: Steelers' new rings a bit much

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/200 ... 882839.txt (http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/06/15/sports/other/doc4a34770e93814061882839.txt)

Published: Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:08 AM EDT

The Pittsburgh Steelers unveiled their new Super Bowl rings last week, and sunglasses were required for the event.

The new rings are a quarter pound of diamonds and gold so big they may not clear security at most airports. If Tiffany made brass knuckles, this is what they’d look like.

It’s a cross between a paperweight and the knocker that was on the Munsters’ front door.

Listen, you win your sixth Super Bowl, you certainly have the right to celebrate.

But only five people who got the rings have been on the Steelers’ payroll for all six of the championships.

That includes erstwhile chairman Dan Rooney, who probably won’t get much wear out of a ring that looks like a doorknob. After all, he’s been chosen to be the ambassador to Ireland, not the Pope.

Most of the other recipients have been around for two of the titles, and perhaps that should have been the guideline for proportion on the ring design.

Ben Roethlisberger is a wonderful quarterback, but he wasn’t even born when the Steelers won the first four Super Bowls.

Maybe the bigger point is this kind of flash isn’t exactly the Steelers’ style.

There’s a legendary story that after Super Bowl IX, franchise founder Art Rooney overheard the receptionist answering the phone, “World champion Steelers.”

He told her to go back to just saying, “Steelers,” reasoning that everybody knew they’d won the Super Bowl. They didn’t need to brag.

So now a franchise that likes to low-key things is sporting a ring so ostentatious that it looks like Mr. T designed it?

It just doesn’t fit.

Could you ever imagine Jack Lambert wearing a ring that could do double duty as a Christmas tree topper?

Most of these things won’t be worn very often. Players tend to stash them away for safekeeping.

That will work in this case. These rings are museum pieces more than practical jewelry.

williar
06-15-2009, 10:48 PM
I absolutely love the design. All of those previous rings were starting to look alike, and too much understated for the unique accomplishments of this franchise. This one has a well deserved identity of its own. It's supposed to stand out. :tt1

SteelerNation1
06-15-2009, 11:32 PM
I can't believe I actually agree with this article. I just don't like the new ring much. I thought the 05 design was superior.

MeetJoeGreene
06-16-2009, 08:27 AM
I can't believe I actually agree with this article. I just don't like the new ring much. I thought the 05 design was superior.

I like the 05 design better as well... but that doesn't mean I don't like this one. I do like it, gaudy and all.

ghettoscott
06-16-2009, 09:00 AM
:?

This is my ring. There aren't many like it because this one is mine. My ring is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my ring is useless. Without my ring I am useless. I must wear my ring true. I must play harder than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must crush him before he tries to crush me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my ring and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our Nation, we are the saviors of the NFL. So be it, until there is no enemy, but Steeler Nation. Amen.

Oviedo
06-16-2009, 09:06 AM
How many players do you think really wear these rings for everyday living? These are probably only worn for ceremonial events so the size and appearance doesn't really matter. Remember, the players had input into this design so this is what they wanted. They earned it so they get what they want.

Relaity is 90% of the time these are locked in a safe or under glasss in a display cabinet.

RussBII
06-16-2009, 09:13 AM
All Super Bowl rings are gaudy and ostentatious now. I don't think anyone can wear one without it really sticking out. Sure, this one is a bit over the top, but haven't they all been for about the last 20 years?

The 05 one has a better design imo, but it's every bit as ostentatious.

papillon
06-16-2009, 09:19 AM
At some point the Steelers are going to have to relegate the acknowledgment of past SB winners to one of the side panels. Either list the years, smaller versions of the Lombardi or simply the number of previous SBs won and focus the face of the ring on the current team. It's a pretty cool problem to have. Ain't it cool?

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Face of the Ring:

http://io2.steelers.com/MediaContent/2009/06/09/12/Photo_1_105794.jpg http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20060605pd_sbxl_ringPJ_230.jpg

Advantage XL. Love the 5 trophies right on the face of the ring. Better than the 6 round diamonds, in my opinion. Not that I dislike the new face, though. Some of the symbolism in the new ring is cool (Seven diamonds at each tip of the football recognize the team’s seven AFC Championships and when combined, the 14 diamonds signify the number of Division titles in Steelers history), however, I don't see it...am I blind, or are their five diamonds at the tip of each football, not seven?

Side of the Ring with the Super Bowl Score:

http://io2.steelers.com/MediaContent/2009/06/09/12/Photo_3_105796.jpg http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20060605PD_ring0604c_230A.jpg

Advantage XLIII. Even though I prefer the SBXL logo to the SBXLIII logo overall, the picture of the six Lombardis inside Heinz Field is the single best part of the new ring bar none. Love it.

Side of the Ring with the Player's Name and Number:

http://io2.steelers.com/MediaContent/2009/06/09/12/Photo_4_105798.jpg http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20060605pdring_230A.jpg

Advantage XL. The single worst part of the new ring is the amateurish representation of the Steeler helmet. Seriously, how many thousands of dollars went into each ring? You couldn't come up with a better looking helmet than that? Looks like it was drawn by a 3rd grader.

aggiebones
06-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Why even have that helmet. Everyone knows its football. That does look dumb.

Alas, the players get to design it from the Captains at least. If it were me designing, it would be big enough for me to have a place to sit.

RussBII
06-16-2009, 11:13 AM
The helmet itself doesn't look that bad. In fact, I kind of like it, it reminds me of letterman's jackets in HS. Which all of these guys surely had.

The problem is the raised/jeweled Steelers logo. It destroys the proportions. It really looks weird.

Jooser
06-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Personally, I think that article reads like a bunch of sour grapes. I love both rings, and relish the opportunity to listen to sports writers whine about either of them!

that is all............ Jooser :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2009, 12:12 PM
The helmet itself doesn't look that bad. In fact, I kind of like it, it reminds me of letterman's jackets in HS. Which all of these guys surely had.

The problem is the raised/jeweled Steelers logo. It destroys the proportions. It really looks weird.

That's what I meant. It's the logo on the helmet that looks all out of proportion and just downright awful. The hypocycloids don't touch at all (you might want to look at the face of the ring to see what the logo is supposed to look like, genuises), the word "Steelers" is proportionately too large for the circle (this was also an issue on the face of the XL ring, but they seemed to do a better job working that out by starting out "Steelers" outside the circle in a tasteful way instead of trying to cram it in there and screwing up the integrity of the triple-hypocycloid Steelmark logo), the circle seems to be too low and far back (it actually appears to be in contact with the stripe that runs down the middle of the helmet!). It's so bad that I'm surprised they didn't have the logo on the left side of the helmet or have the red hypocycloid on the bottom and the blue hypocycloid on the top or some other ridiculousness like that.

I would have eliminated the helmet altogether and put a representation of the Terrible Towel on this side of the ring next to the NFL crest. This was the first Super Bowl since Myron's passing, but he was certainly there in spirit as the Towel took over Tampa. Would have been a nice tribute.

papillon
06-16-2009, 12:46 PM

That's what I meant. It's the logo on the helmet that looks all out of proportion and just downright awful. The hypocycloids don't touch at all (you might want to look at the face of the ring to see what the logo is supposed to look like, genuises), the word "Steelers" is proportionately too large for the circle (this was also an issue on the face of the XL ring, but they seemed to do a better job working that out by starting out "Steelers" outside the circle in a tasteful way instead of trying to cram it in there and screwing up the integrity of the triple-hypocycloid Steelmark logo), the circle seems to be too low and far back (it actually appears to be in contact with the stripe that runs down the middle of the helmet!). It's so bad that I'm surprised they didn't have the logo on the left side of the helmet or have the red hypocycloid on the bottom and the blue hypocycloid on the top or some other ridiculousness like that.

I would have eliminated the helmet altogether and put a representation of the Terrible Towel on this side of the ring next to the NFL crest. This was the first Super Bowl since Myron's passing, but he was certainly there in spirit as the Towel took over Tampa. Would have been a nice tribute.

:Bow :Bow :Bow

Pappy

NC Steeler Fan
06-16-2009, 02:23 PM
You poor basta*ds... :lol:

Suffering unbelievable turmoil over the appearance of
our sixth Super Bowl ring!

How dare those players go and do this to their loyal fans? :wink:

Me? I hope they do it all over again to us next year! 8)

SteelBucks
06-16-2009, 02:51 PM

I was going to say the same thing. You know life is good when people begin debating which Super Bowl ring is better. People here in Philly don't even know what a Super Bowl ring is!

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM

I was going to say the same thing. You know life is good when people begin debating which Super Bowl ring is better. People here in Philly don't even know what a Super Bowl ring is!

http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/funny-dog-pictures-good-to-be-king.jpg
http://jcrue.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/good-to-be-the-king.jpg

Just wait until the Stanley Cup ring vs. Super Bowl ring design arguments begin! :D

feelthesteel
06-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Wait til the next one i hope its sick!!! hell yeah keep em coming men!!
come on man thats our guys let em get what they want.
as long as the pats-49ers-cowgirls- dont get another one me happy!!

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

next they'll call it the Rooney Ring or Ring of Steel

ghettoscott
06-16-2009, 07:46 PM

:Clap

Exactly.

Chachi
06-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Face of the Ring:

Advantage XL. Love the 5 trophies right on the face of the ring. Better than the 6 round diamonds, in my opinion. Not that I dislike the new face, though. Some of the symbolism in the new ring is cool (Seven diamonds at each tip of the football recognize the team’s seven AFC Championships and when combined, the 14 diamonds signify the number of Division titles in Steelers history), however, I don't see it...am I blind, or are their five diamonds at the tip of each football, not seven.

Side of the Ring with the Super Bowl Score:
Advantage XLIII. Even though I prefer the SBXL logo to the SBXLIII logo overall, the picture of the six Lombardis inside Heinz Field is the single best part of the new ring bar none. Love it.
Side of the Ring with the Player's Name and Number:

Advantage XL. The single worst part of the new ring is the amateurish representation of the Steeler helmet. Seriously, how many thousands of dollars went into each ring? You couldn't come up with a better looking helmet than that? Looks like it was drawn by a 3rd grader.

I took out the pictures so the quote isn't HUGE......

You have a real world picture of the XL ring versus an "airbrushed" photo from the jeweler. I would like to have seen a real world photo versus real world photo of the opposing rings to get a better judgment of the audacity of such and comparison.

Ideally, I do like the XL better just because it has a more "old school" flavor with all that black background in the ring itself. The XLIII has, unfortunately but necessary, a Cheatriots (http://z.about.com/d/jewelry/1/5/_/5/SuperBowlXXXIX.jpg) feel to it, but, when you have SIX BIG DIAMONDS represented on a ring, it's hard to find the space. You can't help but have an over sized, gaudy ring for what it represents.

As far as comparison of previous Steelers rings, the Third one, with all THREE of those big diamonds (http://www.tjscollectiblesinc.com/i//1978_Pittsburgh_Steelers_ring.JPG)(and the little diamonds all around)....that was DAMN GAUDY for the times.

When you lead the pack, you LEAD THE PACK.

It just comes with the territory.

:Beer :Beer :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Beer :Beer

grotonsteel
06-16-2009, 09:19 PM

:Clap :Clap

ikestops85
06-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Exactly.

Who cares about rings ... when they win the next one this year they are forsaking the rings and going straight to bracelets. Just imagine the bling they could put on a bracelet. :tt2 :Beer

RuthlessBurgher
06-17-2009, 10:36 AM

Exactly.

Who cares about rings ... when they win the next one this year they are forsaking the rings and going straight to bracelets. Just imagine the bling they could put on a bracelet. :tt2 :Beer

What is this, the World Series of Poker? :P

http://spiderdiaries.richmond.edu/pedro12/files/2008/12/wsop-bracelet.jpg

I vote for boxing/wrestling style championship belts. Now that could be some serious bling! :shock:

ikestops85
06-17-2009, 11:58 AM

Exactly.

What is this, the World Series of Poker? :P

http://spiderdiaries.richmond.edu/pedro12/files/2008/12/wsop-bracelet.jpg

I vote for boxing/wrestling style championship belts. Now that could be some serious bling! :shock:

:Bow

buckeyehoppy
06-17-2009, 11:02 PM

I can't wait for Lombardi 7...February 7, 2010!!!