PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign 3 Draft Picks

calmkiller
06-12-2009, 03:23 PM
PFT

Steelers Sign Third-Round Pick, Cut Dirk Johnson
Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 12, 2009, 3:14 p.m.

Third-round cornerback Keenan Lewis has signed a three-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers, the team announced.

Lewis (Oregon State) was drafted 96th overall after intercepting seven career passes in 48 starts.

Named honorable-mention All-Pac 10 Conference, the 6?0,” 208-pounder registered 117 career tackles and one sack.

The Steelers have also agreed to terms with cornerback Joe Burnett and fullback Frank Summers on three-year deals, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

Meanwhile, veteran punter Dirk Johnson, who was signed on May 1, has been cut from the roster.

Steelers Ink Two Draft Picks
Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 12, 2009, 2:23 p.m.

Fifth-round cornerback Joe Burnett and fifth-round fullback Frank “The Tank” Summers have agreed to three-year deals with the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

Burnett played at Central Florida and Summers played at UNLV.

A four-year starter who intercepted 16 career passes, Burnett is in the running for the Steelers’ fifth cornerback spot.

And Summers could create a niche in short-yardage situations and as a lead blocker.

Both are expected to contribute on special teams.

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Good news! One third of the draft class is now signed, sealed, and delivered. Now we just have to work on the 3 guys taken ahead of them and the 3 guys taken after them.

I think Burnett could really have an impact as a punt returner and some DB depth as a rookie. Summers may be able to contribute as a fullback, a short-yardage ball carrier, and on special teams. Lewis may have the potential to be a starter down the line, but I don't think he sees the field much this year (even though he was chosen a couple of rounds earlier than Burnett), because he does not have the special teams prowess of Burnett and there is already plenty of depth at CB on our active roster.

Oviedo
06-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Good news! One third of the draft class is now signed, sealed, and delivered. Now we just have to work on the 3 guys taken ahead of them and the 3 guys taken after them.

I think Burnett could really have an impact as a punt returner and some DB depth as a rookie. Summers may be able to contribute as a fullback, a short-yardage ball carrier, and on special teams. Lewis may have the potential to be a starter down the line, but I don't think he sees the field much this year (even though he was chosen a couple of rounds earlier than Burnett), because he does not have the special teams prowess of Burnett and there is already plenty of depth at CB on our active roster.

I tend to agree with the contributions you have laid out for these players. I think Burnett has a real shot at being the #1 punt returner so that make him active on game day.

Unless Lewis outrights beats out Townsend and DT is penciled in as the back up free safety then it may be tough for Lewis to dress on gameday. This is because if Burnett is active he is probably your #4 CB.

I think it is clear for Summers that either he or Carey Davis dresses on gameday. The better special teams player will get the helmet.

SteelerNation1
06-12-2009, 04:22 PM
I'd love to have the explosive PR we have sorely lacked since Randle El left, but I'd hate to cut Anthony Madison in order to have that. I hope Burnett can double as the gunner and play some ST.

Oviedo
06-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I'd love to have the explosive PR we have sorely lacked since Randle El left, but I'd hate to cut Anthony Madison in order to have that. I hope Burnett can double as the gunner and play some ST.

I watched Burnett for 4 years and I can't really recall him being used as a gunner on special teams. I think they were probably saving him for starting DB and returner which had him on the field a lot. I'm not saying he can't do it since he won't be playing every down as a CB but I'm not sure he has experience in that area.

If he can be a good returner he is worth every investment they have made in him.

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2009, 04:40 PM
I'd love to see both Burnett and Wallace active on gameday to be the punt and kick returners, respectively, and to be on the coverage teams, and as emergency options at CB and WR.

Oviedo
06-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I'd love to see both Burnett and Wallace active on gameday to be the punt and kick returners, respectively, and to be on the coverage teams, and as emergency options at CB and WR.

The Steelers having a back up WR with great athleticism who could actually play and contribute on special teams would be a truly great capability that we haven't had for about 3 or 4 years :wink:

SteelerNation1
06-12-2009, 05:33 PM
At the expense of who? Madison? Sweed? McDonald?

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2009, 07:10 PM

I think they would be able to dress Hines, Holmes, Sweed, and McDonald as their top 4 WR, and Wallace as the KR and emergency 5th WR.

Even though we gave Madison a million dollar tender as an RFA (the tender we refused to give to Anthony Smith), I think he struggles to make the team. Think about the other guys he has to compete with at CB...Taylor, Gay, Townsend (who also should get time at safety), Lewis (Keenan and Roy, even though Roy may be more of a safety now), Burnett, Ratliff, Bryant, etc. I think Madison is the odd man out, despite his special teams prowess.

I'm assuming that rookies like Wallace and Burnett, in addition to returning kicks and punts, will also be able to cover kicks and punts.

Oviedo
06-13-2009, 09:56 AM

I think they would be able to dress Hines, Holmes, Sweed, and McDonald as their top 4 WR, and Wallace as the KR and emergency 5th WR.

Even though we gave Madison a million dollar tender as an RFA (the tender we refused to give to Anthony Smith), I think he struggles to make the team. Think about the other guys he has to compete with at CB...Taylor, Gay, Townsend (who also should get time at safety), Lewis (Keenan and Roy, even though Roy may be more of a safety now), Burnett, Ratliff, Bryant, etc. I think Madison is the odd man out, despite his special teams prowess.

I'm assuming that rookies like Wallace and Burnett, in addition to returning kicks and punts, will also be able to cover kicks and punts.

I have to agree with you. Anthony Madison is a luxury particularly if they want both Lewis and Burnett active on gameday. He is probably not as good a DB as either Lewis or Burnett. I think Ratliff makes the team because of experience. Bryant is gone. I think the final DBs are:

Troy P.
Clark
Taylor
Gay
Townsend
Mundy
Roy Lewis
K. Lewis
Burnett
Ratliff

Tyrone Carter may even be ahead of Madison because he can back up at strong safety when most of the other DBs are CBs or FS.

Oviedo
06-15-2009, 08:17 AM
A little more on Joe Burnett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypp0NO6UMV0