PDA

View Full Version : Debate with *Pats fan

Djfan
06-12-2009, 01:08 AM
I friend on facebook is a *Pats fan. Here is his response to my challenge to tell me where anyone said that all teams do what the *Pats did.

Halfway down in the story, Hall of Fame coach Dick Vermeil's quote:

"Personally, I don't think it had any effect on the game," Vermeil said. "That stuff's been going on forever and I don't think you gain from it....

and the last line of the story:

"I just know it's been going on for years," Vermeil said. "It's more of an integrity issue than anything else."

another quote:

"It's quite obvious that when you're signaling defensively, the other bench is like a guy on second base. If the pitcher or catcher is giving away signals, then he can relay things. But that's part of the game." -- Jack Del Rio, Jacksonville Jaguars head coach

and yet another:

"New England realistically may have been able to catch one or two plays from doing that and they could've had somebody in the press box getting the same information," said former Atlanta Falcons general manager Ken Herock, who also worked as an executive in Oakland and Green Bay. "And what you're actually talking about is one or two plays out of about 60 snaps a game. That really isn't an advantage."

should I continue? lol
Former coach Vermeil doubts spying helped Patriots beat Rams - NFL - ESPN
Source: sports.espn.go.com
ST. LOUIS -- Dick Vermeil, who coached the St. Louis Rams to their first Super Bowl championship in 2000, doubts dirty tricks prevented the franchise from winning it all again under Mike Martz in 2002.

Here is my response:

Today at 9:19pm
Don't see any mention of taping after having been warned by the league to stop.

Patrick Lewis
Today at 9:27pm
You asked for quotes from other coaches who admitted that it happens all the time, that is what I gave you.

You are not going to find anything about taping after having been told to stop because they don't do it anymore!!!!!

You are just coming off a typical Pats hater who, even when supplied what you asked for, want to find a way to get around the fact that they are actually good without the help of supposed "cheating".

Any help here? I want to put it strongly.

MeetJoeGreene
06-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Here is my take:

Patrick Lewis has been removed as a friend

:loser
:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

rpmpit
06-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Whenever I hear that argument from a Pats fan I just say that no other team has ever been punished for doing what they did - the fines and the draft picks. So if all teams are or were doing it, why didn't any of them ever get caught and punished??? Debate OVER!

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

proudpittsburgher
06-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Tell him that it's pretty obvious that the Pats* were the supreme violators, and the league came down hard by faking Tom Brady's injury as punishment. :) They love when conspiracy theory's are thrown their way. Otherwise, just post an image of the six lombardies and tell him to STFU until his team can come close to matching that.

stlrz d
06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Remind him of the guy with the thick glasses and the red stapler who would look at the taped signals during the SAME GAME and then use his photographic memory to give the offense the heads up as to what defense was coming.

I was told I could play the radio at a reasonable volume.

http://www.northwestern.edu/magazine/winter2008/images/sidebar/Mystery_Man_Ernie_Large.jpg

fezziwig
06-12-2009, 11:24 AM
I don't know how it couldn't of helped. Funny that no team had beaten the Cheats twice after winning the first time. Could they have watched the game films, viewed their illegal filming and figured out the signals ? Of course they did.

The proof is also in the fact that they were caught and continued to cheat. If you get caught doing something, get warned and continue to cheat, why would you do this ?

You don't say, " let's not stop because it isn't any help or any value to us. "

You say , " will continue to cheat, we feel it is helping us. " This is exactly what had to happen because it did.

They got caught cheating and this is a fact. Why do people cheat ? Because they can't win straight up.

How does Vermeil or anyone know outside the Cheats orginization that their cheating wasn't of help ? The surface was only scratched on the cheating. The Cheats have a guru in Ernie that was dedicated to learning the other teams signals.

They have three Super Bowl trophies that were not earned or won.

Djfan
06-12-2009, 11:45 AM
I don't think the Ernie thing is illegal, and I bet that other teams try something similar soon.

I pointed out that they were the only team punished for it.

Guess he just won't admit that they are wrong. He's a devotee.

stlrz d
06-12-2009, 11:48 AM
I don't think the Ernie thing is illegal, and I bet that other teams try something similar soon.

I pointed out that they were the only team punished for it.

Guess he just won't admit that they are wrong. He's a devotee.

BB has always maintained that they don't use tapes during the same game, which is illegal. You can take still photos and look at them all you want, but you can't tape something and watch it as the game is being played.

There were many stories about them doing just that, but BB never admitted it and Goodell never acknowledged or refuted those claims.

Djfan
06-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Goodell's mishandling of this gives the *Pats fans the out they need.

Chachi
06-12-2009, 12:26 PM

I don't think Goodell mishandled anything.

Mishandling implies a mistake.

He did exactly what he wanted to do.

fezziwig
06-12-2009, 01:54 PM

I don't think Goodell mishandled anything.

Mishandling implies a mistake.

He did exactly what he wanted to do.

money

flippy
06-12-2009, 02:36 PM
The Flippy response:

Why do you have to defend something that isn't wrong?

Although I prefer MJG's answer.

Why are you friends with a Pats fan? What could you possibly have in common? Is he an inlaw or something?

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2009, 02:51 PM
The Flippy response:

Why are you friends with a Pats fan? What could you possibly have in common? Is he an inlaw or something?

The only guys I know that are Pats fans are a gay couple.

My wife owns an artificial flower design shop, so the guys she deals with at work tend to be gay.

They even named their dog Brady.

Then again, I once had a dog named Rooney and a guinea pig named Franco.

Djfan
06-12-2009, 04:18 PM

He is actually a pretty heads-up DJ I network with. Glad to know the guy. Another funny tibit is that he made the gif of the 6 I have in my sig. Never told him what it was for.

LasVegasGuy
06-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Obviously Ken Herock is an idiot, not a football fan or both. He said

"And what you're actually talking about is one or two plays out of about 60 snaps a game. That really isn't an advantage."

Is he for real? All it takes is knowing one or two plays to possibly change the outcome of an entire game. For instance. If it's 4th and 1 late in the game and the Steelers are at the 30 yard line marching for a winning score against New England and Ernie Adams screams down to Belicheat that we ran this play the last time we played them. It's a fake handoff to Parker going left and a pitch to Russell going right. Bruschi sets up for the pitch and flattens Russell as soon as he gets the ball and he fumbles. New England then runs a few plays and game over.

Here is an example of one play out of 60 that may have affected the outcome of the game. Idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flippy
06-12-2009, 04:56 PM

He is actually a pretty heads-up DJ I network with. Glad to know the guy. Another funny tibit is that he made the gif of the 6 I have in my sig. Never told him what it was for.

How many teams have 6 SuperBowls? Leave it to a Pats fan to not be able to figure that out.

Most Pats fans didn't become fans until after 2000, so it's understandable.

NorthCoast
06-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Send him this thread:

http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6771

(it really only comes down to 2 or 3 plays that can turn a game)

Discipline of Steel
06-12-2009, 06:56 PM

My wife owns an artificial flower design shop, so the guys she deals with at work tend to be gay.

Are you sure they didnt name their dog after Brady Quinn?

BradshawsHairdresser
06-13-2009, 09:14 AM

Are you sure they didnt name their dog after Brady Quinn?

Either Brady is gay-dee.

ikestops85
06-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Hmmm, what I don't understand is if it didn't help them then why do it? Obviously they gained something from taping the signals. Just leads me to wonder if they don't steal audio signal for offensive play calls also? I always go back to Hines' statement after the AFC Championship game where he says "It seemed like they knew the plays we were running before we ran them" ... and this was before any of the video taping came out. Now I know they were caught taping the defensive signs but I always thought they had too good of a read on the offensive plays. They had a knack for being in the right defensive formation for the play called and Belicheat gets labeled a 'genius'. I still have a hard time swallowing that because I saw him coach in Cleveland --- and it wasn't pretty.

Djfan
06-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Well said Ike.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Hmmm, what I don't understand is if it didn't help them then why do it?

Especially after being caught the first time?

Imagine hearing this from Mark McGwire....or anyone else: "Sure I took the illegal anabolic steroids but so what? It didn't do anymore for me than the same legal stuff you can by over the counter at your local GNC! I just decided to flout authority for the thrill of getting caught."

Debate over.

SteelCrazy
06-16-2009, 01:22 AM
The Flippy response:

My 5 year old Boxer is named Bettis......

fezziwig
06-16-2009, 10:09 PM
I remember all to well the games against the cheats and my exact words were, " no team can always be in the right formation for every play, no team can always second guess so much. "

I was screaming that at the TV during the game. I guess it was only a game for the Steelers and for the Pats, it was another un-earned swindle job.

At first the other teams spoke up about their audio equipment taking a dive during crusial times against the Cheats plus, the talk of Brady having his headset on the entire game but soon,the NFL had to have this all go away quickly.

If the NFL allowed the public to know that we have been taken by that scum bag for all their winning seasons, the NFL would have suffered a blackeye it could never out live.

The NFL and owners knew very well to put the hush to their cheating or else they all go down.