PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports top 99 players

anger 82&95
06-11-2009, 01:42 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9666 ... :-No.-1-20 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9666292/Top-99-players-for-'09:-No.-1-20)

Big Ben at # three!

3. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Pittsburgh Steelers: Say what you want about the strength of the Super Bowl champions' defense, but Big Ben is unquestionably the true leader of the Pittsburgh Steelers. With two Super Bowl rings and three AFC championship game starts in just five NFL seasons, he's one of the top three quarterbacks in the league. Win another one and he could be No. 1 on this list next year. Kick and scream all you want about it Roethlisberger's the real deal.

Oviedo
06-11-2009, 02:16 PM
I think the first three are reasonable. Given how much younger that Ben is he will be #1 in a couple of years.

RuthlessBurgher
06-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Other Steelers on their list:

11. James Harrison, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers: The second Steelers player to make the list, Harrison went from an unsung special teams player to arguably the best linebacker in all of football. I don't know the deal with the Obama/White House stuff, but I do know he can play football.

15. Troy Polamalu, S, Pittsburgh Steelers: One of three Steelers in the top 15, Polamalu scored his second Super Bowl ring in February. A terror all season in '08, Polamalu is the perfect centerfield safety in Dick LeBeau's 3-4 defense. Unfortunately, he may be doomed for the '09 year ... he's on the Madden cover.

65. Casey Hampton, DT, Pittsburgh Steelers: Hampton's the clog at the core of the league's best defense. Perhaps the most dominant unit since the 2000 Ravens, Hampton ensures that no teams run up the gut on Dick LeBeau's Pittsburgh D. Don't kid yourself, he's one of the few reasons Cleveland traded down out of the No. 5 pick to acquire a center in the first round of April's draft.

82. LaMarr Woodley, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers: One of several Steelers defensive players to make the list, he could one day end up being the best of all. Woodley used 2008 as a coming-out party emerging as one of the top rushing linebackers in the NFL with 11.5 quarterback sacks. He should be even better in '09.

88. Santonio Holmes, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers: My apologies to all the Lynn Swann, David Tyree and John Taylor fans out there you won't find a more dramatic Super Bowl reception than Holmes' fourth-quarter snag in Super Bowl XLIII. Holmes was making those grabs all year in '08. He'll only make more in '09.

Most glaring omission, in my opinion? Aaron Smith (not that I'm surprised)

Ozey74
06-11-2009, 03:58 PM
The Steelers make up 20% of the top 15. I'll buy that.

I kind of like it better when the Steelers don't get the credit they deserve. "Media darlings" is something I hope we never become. Nothing would be worse than watching a bunch of middle aged men swooning over the Steelers like a giddy school girl (ala Peter King with Tom Brady)

steelernation77
06-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Harrison is good but not better than Troy. Every good Steeler defense has an OLB like Harrison, not every one has a safety as good as Troy.

frankthetank1
06-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Harrison is good but not better than Troy. Every good Steeler defense has an OLB like Harrison, not every one has a safety as good as Troy.

i agree troy should be higher than harrison but i have never seen a steeler defense that had a olb as good as harrison. lloyd and greene are close, porter i guess too but harrison makes a lot more impact in games than any of those olb's. reggie bush made the list and fwp didnt? i would rather have fwp than bush any day. 7 steelers made the list on defense thats awsome although i wouldnt have included hampton who was higher on the list than woodley some how

Discipline of Steel
06-11-2009, 06:35 PM

i agree troy should be higher than harrison but i have never seen a steeler defense that had a olb as good as harrison. lloyd and greene are close, porter i guess too but harrison makes a lot more impact in games than any of those olb's. reggie bush made the list and fwp didnt? i would rather have fwp than bush any day. 7 steelers made the list on defense thats awsome although i wouldnt have included hampton who was higher on the list than woodley some how

I disagree. Harrison is the epitome of Steeler football and has the highest rate of splash plays I have ever seen. Not to mention he backs that up with more than adequate stats.

ghettoscott
06-11-2009, 07:29 PM
no Hines?

RuthlessBurgher
06-11-2009, 07:55 PM
no Hines?

I cherish any slight of Hines. He takes it personally, and it motivates him to go out to take guys heads off all while catching over 1000 yards worth of balls. It's like clockwork. I'm not sure if it would happen that way without the perceived disrespect, so I like it whenever folks overlook him. Provides fuel for the fire inside him.

frankthetank1
06-12-2009, 10:22 AM

I disagree. Harrison is the epitome of Steeler football and has the highest rate of splash plays I have ever seen. Not to mention he backs that up with more than adequate stats.

i agree with that. if you think harrison makes more splash plays than any olb you have ever seen on the steelers wouldnt that make him the best or one of the best olb the steelers have ever had?

Oviedo
06-12-2009, 10:33 AM
no Hines?

Hines not being in the top 100 is a joke. He is the most complete WR in the NFL. It just shows how these lists are about fantasy football based stats not contributions.

ikestops85
06-12-2009, 10:52 AM
88. Santonio Holmes, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers: My apologies to all the Lynn Swann, David Tyree and John Taylor fans out there you won't find a more dramatic Super Bowl reception than Holmes' fourth-quarter snag in Super Bowl XLIII. Holmes was making those grabs all year in '08. He'll only make more in '09.

Tone's SB reception was certainly dramatic and a great catch but he did let a much easier catch go right through his hands the prior play. In fact his play was spotty for the majority of the season until the playoffs. I can't see him on the list and Hines not being there. Even though Hines is getting up there in years he is still one of the best clutch receivers in the game and not to mention one of the smartest. :Cheers

Oviedo
06-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Other Steelers on their list:

11. James Harrison, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers: The second Steelers player to make the list, Harrison went from an unsung special teams player to arguably the best linebacker in all of football. I don't know the deal with the Obama/White House stuff, but I do know he can play football.

15. Troy Polamalu, S, Pittsburgh Steelers: One of three Steelers in the top 15, Polamalu scored his second Super Bowl ring in February. A terror all season in '08, Polamalu is the perfect centerfield safety in bad word LeBeau's 3-4 defense. Unfortunately, he may be doomed for the '09 year ... he's on the Madden cover.

65. Casey Hampton, DT, Pittsburgh Steelers: Hampton's the clog at the core of the league's best defense. Perhaps the most dominant unit since the 2000 Ravens, Hampton ensures that no teams run up the gut on bad word LeBeau's Pittsburgh D. Don't kid yourself, he's one of the few reasons Cleveland traded down out of the No. 5 pick to acquire a center in the first round of April's draft.

82. LaMarr Woodley, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers: One of several Steelers defensive players to make the list, he could one day end up being the best of all. Woodley used 2008 as a coming-out party emerging as one of the top rushing linebackers in the NFL with 11.5 quarterback sacks. He should be even better in '09.

Most glaring omission, in my opinion? Aaron Smith (not that I'm surprised)

Woodley and Santonio plus Heath Miller and Hines Ward are all better players than Casey Hampton. Casey is a two down player. You have to wonder if the people who write this stuff even watch football.

RussBII
06-12-2009, 12:09 PM
no Hines?

Hines not being in the top 100 is a joke. He is the most complete WR in the NFL. It just shows how these lists are about fantasy football based stats not contributions.

I love Hines, don't get me wrong. But he's not the most complete WR in the NFL. He lacks downfield speed that say Larry Fitzgerald has. I think he should be on this list as well, but I agree with the poster that said they cherish any slight on Hines.

Get him mad. I want him to break Malauallululauaualugaluauaga's jaw this year.

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2009, 12:19 PM
no Hines?

I love Hines, don't get me wrong. But he's not the most complete WR in the NFL. He lacks downfield speed that say Larry Fitzgerald has. I think he should be on this list as well, but I agree with the poster that said they cherish any slight on Hines.

That's why Fitz is #4 on the list. It may sound like heresy in these parts, but I would trade an up-and-coming Holmes and an on-the-back-nine Ward to bring Fitz back to the Burgh where he starred at Heinz once upon a time. That dude is such a force of nature that I wouldn't have a problem starting Sweed opposite him and having McDonald as the #3 right now. I realize that it is a ridiculous scenario, but I think Fitz is that good (dude is only 25 and already has 3 seasons with 1400+ yards and double digit TD's...and he is a humble, hard-working kid instead of a Moss/T.O./Ocho level prima donna like you tend to expect WR's that have Fitz-level talent to be these days).

flippy
06-12-2009, 02:39 PM

coaches plan games around troy, not harrison.

it's not close imho.

harrison gets a lot of sacks and forced fumbles and tackles. he's good.

troy's a once in a lifetime player.

skyhawk
06-14-2009, 07:35 PM
no Hines?

That's why Fitz is #4 on the list. It may sound like heresy in these parts, but I would trade an up-and-coming Holmes and an on-the-back-nine Ward to bring Fitz back to the Burgh where he starred at Heinz once upon a time. That dude is such a force of nature that I wouldn't have a problem starting Sweed opposite him and having McDonald as the #3 right now. I realize that it is a ridiculous scenario, but I think Fitz is that good (dude is only 25 and already has 3 seasons with 1400+ yards and double digit TD's...and he is a humble, hard-working kid instead of a Moss/T.O./Ocho level prima donna like you tend to expect WR's that have Fitz-level talent to be these days).

You are soooo right!

ikestops85
06-15-2009, 12:20 PM

coaches plan games around troy, not harrison.

it's not close imho.

harrison gets a lot of sacks and forced fumbles and tackles. he's good.

troy's a once in a lifetime player.

If a coach doesn't game plan against Harrison they won't be a coach in this league very long. The ratbirds implemented an unbalanced line specifically to try and stop Harrison. I'm not taking anything away from Troy because I agree a player of his talents doesn't come around often but to say that O-coordinators don't plan for Harrison is not realistic.

TallyStiller
06-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Wrong guy at #65. When Casey Hampton missed time (notably, the last 3+ months of '04), the defense didn't miss a beat. Hokie filled in beautifully, and we won all of'em except the AFCC. When Smitty missed time (particularly the last month + of '07), the season fell apart as nearly everybody we played ran all over us. Casey hardly ever draws a double team any more. He heads for the bench on third down. He lives off of his reputation and the media hype from talking heads who parrot what they hear elsewhere. Some dumb team will pay him far more than he's worth next year, and assuming the next CBA has a salary cap in it, will regret the signing.