PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com's Top 10 Clutch QBs....

Jooser
06-10-2009, 10:55 PM
You guys will have field day with this one. Of course, Big Ben's no where on the list, as usual....

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id= ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d810be7de&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Top 10 clutch quarterbacks in NFL history
NFL.com

Dan Marino
Not owning that coveted Super Bowl ring doesn't diminish Dan Marino's ability to lead his Dolphins to last-minute victories.

Steve Young
Following in the footsteps of the great Joe Montana didn't faze Steve Young, who led the 49ers to a fifth Super Bowl championship.

Bart Starr
Bart Starr helped lead the Packers to five NFL championships in seven seasons, an accomplishment no other quarterback since has matched.

Otto Graham
In 10 pro football seasons, Otto Graham led the Cleveland Browns to 10 title games, an accomplishment that will likely never be matched.

Ken Stabler
The "Holy Roller," "Sea of Hands," and "Ghost to the Post" all came courtesy of "The Snake," the field general of the renegade 1970s Raiders.

Johnny Unitas
The seminal moment of Johnny Unitas' career was leading the Baltimore Colts to victory in the NFL's first sudden-death OT title game.

Roger Staubach
The late-game heroics of Roger Staubach -- "Captain Comeback" -- helped the Cowboys become known as "America's Team" in the 1970s.

Tom Brady
With a frantic last-minute scoring drive against the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI, Tom Brady helped the Patriots' dynasty in its rise to power.

John Elway
"The Drive" was the stuff of legends, but John Elway's heroics didn't end there as he made fans wait until the clock hit 0:00.

Joe Montana
Going a perfect 4-for-4 in pro football's biggest game and winning three Super Bowl MVPs in the process, Joe Montana is the most clutch QB ever.

:loser

papillon
06-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Hard to argue with that list the only ones that Ben may be able to supplant right now would be Marino, Stabler and Unitas. Of course, in 5 years or so Joe Montana won't be revered as the best clutch quarterback ever. Ben is 2 for 2 in the big one and he certainly has the potential to be 4 for 4.

I don't believe there was ever a more clutch drive than the game winner in the most recent Super Bowl. Maybe Montana's against the Bengals (I think) could be better only because I think it covered 90+ yards and Ben's was only 88 or something like that.

I can't put Marino on the list and I'm a Pitt and Pittsburgh homer. He guided his teams to one Super Bowl and lost. Any other playoff appearance ended short of the Super Bowl; I can't put a quarterback w/o rings and quality post season wins in the "clutch" category.

Pappy

stlrz d
06-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Pappy - Montana's was longer, but what's impressive about Ben's is that he accounted for every yard of the drive.

Pittsburgh Steelers at 02:37
1-N.Rackers kicks 69 yards from ARI 30 to PIT 1. 38-C.Davis to PIT 22 for 21 yards (87-S.Morey, 52-M.Beisel).
1-10-PIT 22 (2:30) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short left to 21-M.Moore pushed ob at PIT 21 for -1 yards (24-A.Wilson). PENALTY on PIT-68-C.Kemoeatu, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 22 - No Play.
1-20-PIT 12 (2:24) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short right to 10-S.Holmes to PIT 26 for 14 yards (29-D.Rodgers-Cromartie).
2-6-PIT 26 (2:00) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep right to 85-N.Washington (47-A.Francisco).
Two-Minute Warning
3-6-PIT 26 (1:56) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short right to 10-S.Holmes to PIT 39 for 13 yards (58-K.Dansby).
1-10-PIT 39 (1:33) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short right to 85-N.Washington to 50 for 11 yards (24-A.Wilson).
1-10- (1:08) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger scrambles up the middle to ARI 46 for 4 yards (56-C.Okeafor, 58-K.Dansby).
Timeout #2 by PIT at 01:02.
2-6-ARI 46 (1:02) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short right to 10-S.Holmes to ARI 6 for 40 yards (47-A.Francisco).
Timeout #3 by PIT at 00:49.
1-6-ARI 6 (:48) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short left to 10-S.Holmes.
2-6-ARI 6 (:42) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short right to 10-S.Holmes for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN. The Replay Assistant challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was Upheld.
(Kick formation) 3-Je.Reed extra point is GOOD, Center-61-J.Retkofsky, Holder-17-M.Berger.
PIT 27 ARZ 23 Plays: 8 Possession: 2:02

And agreed...Marino shouldn't be on that particular list. He belongs on a lot of others, but not this one.

skyhawk
06-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Marino? Ha.

BURGH86STEEL
06-11-2009, 05:46 AM
Don't know if Marino should be on the list or not. That would take a lot of research that I do not have the time to do right now. Marino is 2nd ever in 4th QT come backs. I guess that accounts for something in the minds of the people that made that list. It is unfortunate Miami never built a good enough team around Marino.

Ben will probably need to improve his individual play and become a more consistent QB to get more recognition. Ben's career is not over yet. There is a lot of time left for him to make it on that list.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Hard to argue with that list the only ones that Ben may be able to supplant right now would be Marino, Stabler and Unitas. Of course, in 5 years or so Joe Montana won't be revered as the best clutch quarterback ever. Ben is 2 for 2 in the big one and he certainly has the potential to be 4 for 4.

I don't believe there was ever a more clutch drive than the game winner in the most recent Super Bowl. Maybe Montana's against the Bengals (I think) could be better only because I think it covered 90+ yards and Ben's was only 88 or something like that.

I can't put Marino on the list and I'm a Pitt and Pittsburgh homer. He guided his teams to one Super Bowl and lost. Any other playoff appearance ended short of the Super Bowl; I can't put a quarterback w/o rings and quality post season wins in the "clutch" category.

Pappy

And Marsha*! :D

Chachi
06-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Ben needs another 5 years or so to be considered for ANY "All Time" list.

He is still just a young pup.

MeetJoeGreene
06-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Ben needs another 5 years or so to be considered for ANY "All Time" list.

He is still just a young pup.

I believe that to be true. However.... by the same token, these same types of folks/lists were slurping all over Brady way to early.

So given that, I want Ben on the list....

Djfan
06-11-2009, 10:48 AM
There are 7,000 lists that leave the Steelers or Ben or Heinz off for no real reason. It just is the reality of the NFL media idiots universe.

I kind of like it. It puts a chip on the shoulder of the Black & Gold that says "You haven't arrived". Good place to start from if you ask me.

Peyton has arrived. He will win exactly zero more rings. We haven't arrived. We win a few more rings under Ben.

This works for me.

As an aside, don't be surprised if Marsha wins no more rings either.

Jooser
06-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Last year became the "Season of Comebacks" in the 'Burgh. How many close ones did we sit through typing obscenities and then praises in the chat room last year? Ben's drive in last year's Super Bowl may be one of the greatest ever in NFL lore. It simply capped a year defined by sudden death comeback play by Big Ben. I think he should at least receive an honorable mention, though I still think he should have been on that list.

Also, Ben's drive was 88yards, but he did overcome a holding call first thing. Again, overcoming more adversity and taking it all on his shoulders to win the game.

stlrz d
06-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Last year became the "Season of Comebacks" in the 'Burgh. How many close ones did we sit through typing obscenities and then praises in the chat room last year? Ben's drive in last year's Super Bowl may be one of the greatest ever in NFL lore. It simply capped a year defined by sudden death comeback play by Big Ben. I think he should at least receive an honorable mention, though I still think he should have been on that list.

Also, Ben's drive was 88yards, but he did overcome a holding call first thing. Again, overcoming more adversity and taking it all on his shoulders to win the game.

I think it is because it was nearly the length of the field, he accounted for all 88 yards of the drive (84 passing and 4 rushing), there wasn't much time left and they needed a TD to go ahead, which he delivered. Plus he overcame that penalty which set them back 10 yards, making it 1st and 20.

Jooser
06-11-2009, 12:00 PM
And still no one has commented on the "Patriots* dynasty" stab the author of this article threw in there! Come on people!

frankthetank1
06-11-2009, 12:29 PM
i dont really have a problem with ben not being on an all time clutch qb's but i have a huge problem with terry bradshaw not being on the list. 2 sb mvps the guy had. marino being a top 10 clutch qb is a joke