PDA

View Full Version : CB Ratliff says decision to sign w/ the Steelers...

PSU_dropout43
06-06-2009, 12:09 AM
was a no-brainer.

by John Harris

The Steelers got to know cornerback Keiwan Ratliff up-close-and-personal during the 2008 season when he was a member of the Indianapolis Colts.

Ratliff's interception of a Ben Roethlisberger pass set up a Colts' touchdown late in the second quarter of Indianapolis' 24-20 victory at Heinz Field.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin reminded Ratliff of that interception during practice this week.

"Coach Tomlin was teasing me," Ratliff said. "I dropped an interception in practice (Tuesday). He was saying if I dropped that one last year, the game could have gone the other way.''

An unrestricted free agent after last season, Ratliff believed the Colts would re-sign him. When they didn't, he signed a one-year deal with the Steelers.

"Coming here was a blessing," he said. "Who could turn down a team who was basically No. 1 in every major defensive category in the league? If you've got a chance to play with the Steelers, it's kind of like being a wide receiver and having an opportunity to play with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

"No matter what, if (the Steelers) offered, this is where I was going to be.''

Ratliff gives the Steelers veteran depth. In addition to lining up at backup cornerback at Steelers' practices, he has filled in at safety in the absence of Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark and Tyrone Carter.

"Guys who can play multiple positions have a greater opportunity of being on the field,'' said Ratliff, 28. "The Steelers lost a good player in Bryant McFadden. As a cornerback, when you see something like that, a guy on the Super Bowl winning team who goes elsewhere, you know there's going to be an open spot.''

A second-round draft pick in 2004, Ratliff played three seasons with Cincinnati before being released. He joined Tampa Bay briefly and signed with Indianapolis toward the end of the 2007 season. The Colts released him twice last season but re-signed him after cornerback Marlin Jackson went on injured reserve.

Ratliff recorded 32 tackles and two interceptions in four starts last season. He also returned an interception 35 yards against the Jaguars' David Garrard for his first NFL score.

"The thing I do best is make plays,'' said Ratliff, who has five career inteceptions. "Some guys are physical corners or cover corners. I consider myself a playmaker.

"Last year was the first time in a couple of years I got a chance to play 70-plus snaps a game and actually put extensive filmwork out there.''

ghettoscott
06-06-2009, 08:41 AM
"Coming here was a blessing," he said. "Who could turn down a team who was basically No. 1 in every major defensive category in the league? If you've got a chance to play with the Steelers, it's kind of like being a wide receiver and having an opportunity to play with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.'

:? Ben gets no love....

Discipline of Steel
06-06-2009, 08:58 AM
"Coming here was a blessing," he said. "Who could turn down a team who was basically No. 1 in every major defensive category in the league? If you've got a chance to play with the Steelers, it's kind of like being a wide receiver and having an opportunity to play with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.'

Thats what I thought! What the hell is he thinking, both Pitt WR are Super Bowl MVPs because Ben was slinging the ball to them. Not to mention you dont diss your QB when you join a new team. Im starting to not like this guy already. He better start drinking his Kool-Aid.

Ozey74
06-06-2009, 09:38 AM

That instantly came to mind for me also. I'd currently take Ben over those boobs, but just magine how much more of a stud Ben would be if he has the big uglies that Brady or Manning had. I'm dreaming that one of these years, he will have a line.

:tt2

Mister Pittsburgh
06-06-2009, 09:48 AM

Thats what I thought! What the hell is he thinking, both Pitt WR are Super Bowl MVPs because Ben was slinging the ball to them. Not to mention you dont diss your QB when you join a new team. Im starting to not like this guy already. He better start drinking his Kool-Aid.

I am sure he just means in an offense designed around their 100 million dollar QB's instead of an offense where you force the run and primarily throw on 3rd and long.

Acero
06-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Thats what I thought! What the hell is he thinking, both Pitt WR are Super Bowl MVPs because Ben was slinging the ball to them.

No offense, but technically I think Ward's MVP award in XL was cemented when he caught the TD pass... from Randle El. Before that I think Willie Parker was the leading candidate for MVP. Let's face it, Ben played horrible in XL (notwithstanding the fact that he played awesome in the 3 previous playoff games).

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Ben than Brady or Manning. I'm just saying Roethlisberger didn't sling the MVP ball to Ward in XL.

fezziwig
06-06-2009, 10:29 AM
My first thought to was the no love for Ben. I'm telling you guys, the NFL along with their media and media control conditions everyone or tries to condition everyone to only view a few that should get all the praise and hype.

BURGH86STEEL
06-06-2009, 10:56 AM
People need to look at these things realistically. If you are a WR, who do you want throwing you the football? Ben, Manning, or Brady?

Mister Pittsburgh
06-06-2009, 11:06 AM
People need to look at these things realistically. If you are a WR, who do you want throwing you the football? Ben, Manning, or Brady?

I don't think it is necessarily the QB throwing the ball, but more the system that Manning & Brady play in. Ben does a pretty good F'ing job when we move to a wide open passing offense.

That is just not the Steelers way though. We HAVE to run the football whether we have success at it or not. :HeadBanger

BURGH86STEEL
06-06-2009, 11:20 AM

I don't think it is necessarily the QB throwing the ball, but more the system that Manning & Brady play in. Ben does a pretty good F'ing job when we move to a wide open passing offense.

That is just not the Steelers way though. We HAVE to run the football whether we have success at it or not. :HeadBanger

So you want to discredit those QB's because of the system? Ben is not the same caliber of passer as those two. I doubt you will find many people outside of Steelers fans that think Ben is a better passer than those two.

There is a reason why teams continue to run the ball even if they are not having much success. You should really think about why teams continue to run the ball.

Flasteel
06-06-2009, 12:39 PM

So you want to discredit those QB's because of the system? Ben is not the same caliber of passer as those two. I doubt you will find many people outside of Steelers fans that think Ben is a better passer than those two.

There is a reason why teams continue to run the ball even if they are not having much success. You should really think about why teams continue to run the ball.

Agree and disagree.

I think Ben is roughly the same caliber of passer as Brady and Manning. I know there is a lot of crossover between the characteristics of a good passer and a good quarterback but what criteria are you using for the former?

Arm strength? Touch? Accuracy? Reading a defense? Knowing your own offense? Clutch throws? All of those?

Those first three qualities Ben is probably equal to or superior to Manning and Brady. When he gets time, I'll argue there is no discernable difference (although Brady would probably be universally viewed as more accurate) but when the heat is on, he extends the play and displays little to no loss of those qualities. Say the same thing about the other two. Ben is also still learning to make the automatic reads and develop that innate knowledge of his own system but he's only 27. I'll give the edge to Brady and Manning in both those areas, but Ben has the capacity to join them (hopefully soon). In the clutch, Ben's only peer is Brady (or vise versa).

Enough about Ben...he is what he is and I'm just damn glad he does it for us.

The point about a running game is on the money Burgh. You need to not just run the ball, but make it part of your identity. Whether it's getting the tough yards, opening up the seam, or controlling the clock, you better be able to pound the rock. Like it or not, it's (in my humble opinion) the way to go.

BURGH86STEEL
06-06-2009, 01:17 PM

Agree and disagree.

I think Ben is roughly the same caliber of passer as Brady and Manning. I know there is a lot of crossover between the characteristics of a good passer and a good quarterback but what criteria are you using for the former?

Arm strength? Touch? Accuracy? Reading a defense? Knowing your own offense? Clutch throws? All of those?

Those first three qualities Ben is probably equal to or superior to Manning and Brady. When he gets time, I'll argue there is no discernable difference (although Brady would probably be universally viewed as more accurate) but when the heat is on, he extends the play and displays little to no loss of those qualities. Say the same thing about the other two. Ben is also still learning to make the automatic reads and develop that innate knowledge of his own system but he's only 27. I'll give the edge to Brady and Manning in both those areas, but Ben has the capacity to join them (hopefully soon). In the clutch, Ben's only peer is Brady (or vise versa).

The point about a running game is on the money Burgh. You need to not just run the ball, but make it part of your identity. Whether it's getting the tough yards, opening up the seam, or controlling the clock, you better be able to pound the rock. Like it or not, it's (in my humble opinion) the way to go.

I don't think Ben has Manning's arm strength. Not sure about Brady. Ben needs to work on consistency and accuracy with his deep ball. I think that Ben needs to work on his pre snap recognition. At the very least, he needs to make quicker decisions with the ball. There are times he does it and times he struggles. As a result of those struggles, he takes a lot of unnecessary hits. I know that there are times the pass protection is at fault.

Ben and the offense stepped up when he needed at the end of games. Ben and the rest of the offense were needed then because they were inconsistent during the coarse of games. I realize that a lack of a quality run game did not aid in the cause. There are a lot of variables to consider when bringing up any discussion with a team sport like football. I guess we can disagree that Ben is the same caliber of passer as Manning and Brady. At this point of Ben's career I do not think he is not there yet. I thought he would be a better more consistent passer by this point of his career.

The concern is if he does not improve as a pocket passer, he will eventually lose his mobility. When that happens he will lose the ability that makes him a special player. He will be injured and sitting on the sidelines. There will be a large contingent of Steelers fans that boo him. I just hope he can improve as a pocket passer so he wont have to hear the boos and to extend his career.

I find it funny that some fans want Ben to sling it around the field for the whole game. Those fans fail to take into consideration what the consequences of that action brings. If they only thought about it maybe they would not bring it up. The make it sound as if the coaches do not have a clue. There is a reason why coaches employ that strategy/philosophy.

Scarletfire1970
06-06-2009, 02:43 PM

Exactly what I thought. I don't like this guy already.

True Fan
06-06-2009, 02:57 PM
"The thing I do best is make plays,'' said Ratliff, who has five career inteceptions. "Some guys are physical corners or cover corners. I consider myself a playmaker.

come on. who can take this guy seriously when he makes this statement?

fezziwig
06-06-2009, 03:05 PM
It's all about supporting the guy that is on your team. I don't give a darn whatever anyone says or thinks, " I would pick Ben over Palmer, Manning or Shady. "

Those other guys do well because they have all the needed conditions. Ben does well despite his conditions.

Manning couldn't lead our offense after 49 sacks, Brady and Palmer couldn't hold up after 49 sacks and not all the answers for Shady to have.

Ben has put the offense on his shoulder so many times to win a game and when he doesn't, he described as being not as good as the media favorites.

Ben two Super Bowl wins and no cheating.
Brady three Super Bowl wins with cheating , one without cheating.
Manning one Super Bowl win after how many seasons ?
Palmer still needs to buy tickets to get to a Super Bowl.

grotonsteel
06-06-2009, 03:13 PM

Agree and disagree.

I don't think Ben has Manning's arm strength. Not sure about Brady. Ben needs to work on consistency and accuracy with his deep ball. I think that Ben needs to work on his pre snap recognition. At the very least, he needs to make quicker decisions with the ball. There are times he does it and times he struggles. As a result of those struggles, he takes a lot of unnecessary hits. I know that there are times the pass protection is at fault.

Ben and the offense stepped up when he needed at the end of games. Ben and the rest of the offense were needed then because they were inconsistent during the coarse of games. I realize that a lack of a quality run game did not aid in the cause. There are a lot of variables to consider when bringing up any discussion with a team sport like football. I guess we can disagree that Ben is the same caliber of passer as Manning and Brady. At this point of Ben's career I do not think he is not there yet. I thought he would be a better more consistent passer by this point of his career.

The concern is if he does not improve as a pocket passer, he will eventually lose his mobility. When that happens he will lose the ability that makes him a special player. He will be injured and sitting on the sidelines. There will be a large contingent of Steelers fans that boo him. I just hope he can improve as a pocket passer so he wont have to hear the boos and to extend his career.

I find it funny that some fans want Ben to sling it around the field for the whole game. Those fans fail to take into consideration what the consequences of that action brings. If they only thought about it maybe they would not bring it up. The make it sound as if the coaches do not have a clue. There is a reason why coaches employ that strategy/philosophy.

Right now i would rate Big Ben higher than Peyton Manning. If Big Ben wins No.7 for Steelers this year he will surpass Tom Brady as the best QB in NFL.

Do you think Peyton Manning can win a SB behind a porous O-line, an oft-injured RB who can't get any tough yards and WR corps who keep dropping the balls or MIA..?? Also Peyton won't have comfort of indoor stadium..

Djfan
06-07-2009, 02:44 AM
Aside from a REALLY STUPID statement, this looks like the kind of "off the radar" pick up we are used to. He may help us for a few years. He's only 28.

fezziwig
06-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Is Ratliff any good ? Does he have a chance of becoming a starter or is he just a guy with experience that they want around ?

Captain Lemming
06-07-2009, 09:56 PM
You guys are way too sensitive.

His point is a wide receiver wants a QB who is prolific.
If a QBs number are off the charts, his recievers will be stars
Manning and Brady are household names, who everybody knows wing it all day long.

It has nothing necessarily to do with how good good QB is.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-08-2009, 09:10 AM
You guys are way too sensitive.

His point is a wide receiver wants a QB who is prolific.
If a QBs number are off the charts, his recievers will be stars
Manning and Brady are household names, who everybody knows wing it all day long.

It has nothing necessarily to do with how good good QB is.

I agree Maui. The guy threw out a quick example using the two consensus best QBs in the league. It was not a shot. No need to cause an uproar in a story that is really about how happy the guy is to be a Steeler.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Is Ratliff any good ? Does he have a chance of becoming a starter or is he just a guy with experience that they want around ?

I don't see him as starting material. Just a guy with experience. He may even struggle to make the team. We will keep Ike, Gay, Deshea, Lewis, and Burnett. If Deshea also gets reps at safety, then we might keep Ratliff as a 6th CB.