PDA

View Full Version : Pirates planning a sit down.

aggiebones
06-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I wonder how it would go if the Pirates just threw a pitch, let the opposing lead-off hitter hit it, then noone move. Let the guy run around the bases for an inside the parker..
Just 1 batter, then play ball. A semi-silent protest to management. If they all got cut, frankly most would be better off.

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2009, 04:15 PM
The team should make a life-sized cardboard cutout of Neal Huntington and take off a sliver of clothing with every win. :lol:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DxSpTG8QBf4/R-qfZHlLz8I/AAAAAAAAANo/Oxb-I7gL4cM/s320/major-league-lou-brown.JPG

Updated: June 5, 2009, 2:41 PM ET
Pirates light candle, vent frustration
ESPN.com news services

Pittsburgh Pirates players, frustrated and doubtful about management's intentions of winning, are not happy that starting center fielder Nate McLouth was traded to the Atlanta Braves for three prospects.

"Wow," second baseman Freddy Sanchez said Thursday of the trade, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I think the biggest thing was the shock factor. It's obviously a tough pill to swallow. Our No. 3 hitter just got taken away, the guy who leads our team in home runs and RBIs, and we were 6 games out. We could still have been right there. I think we still can. But we're all just kind of wondering right now ... wondering what it is."

On Wednesday, the Pirates dealt McLouth, one of their best players, to the Atlanta Braves for outfielder Gorkys Hernandez, one of the Braves' top prospects, along with pitchers Charlie Morton and Jeff Locke.

On Thursday, at the clubhouse table where McLouth used to play cards with relievers Sean Burnett and Jesse Chavez, a candle bearing McLouth's uniform No. 13 was lit, and sat alongside a photo of him in uniform, the Post-Gazette reported. "We'll miss him," Burnett said.

Other players were angrier.

"There ain't a guy in here who ain't [ticked] off about it," said first baseman Adam LaRoche, according to the report. "It's kind of like being with your platoon in a battle, and guys keep dropping around you. You keep hanging on, hanging on, and you've got to figure: How much longer till you sink?

"It's fine. Heck with it. We're not the GM. We don't run the team. If they feel like it's the best move for three or four years from now, great," LaRoche said, according to the report. "Unfortunately, that does me no good. I've still got to be in here telling guys it's going to be fine with Nate gone. Well, you can only do that for so long until guys just kind of ... well, they know."

Manager John Russell, who summoned players into his office to hear them out on Thursday, said the trade should not be taken as a sign the Pirates aren't serious about winning, according to the report, echoing what general manager Neal Huntington and team president Frank Coonelly said earlier about the deal. He also said the team still had a job to do, despite the players' feelings.

"The players lost a friend, a teammate and a good player," Russell said, according to the report. "They might be thinking that we've thrown in the towel, but it's time to turn the page and play baseball. It's time to move on."

Russell said that before the Pirates beat the New York Mets 11-6.

"I thought the guys responded very well," Russell said after the game, according to the report. "They still know we have some things to accomplish here. They went out and played very good baseball today."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

flippy
06-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I wonder how it would go if the Pirates just threw a pitch, let the opposing lead-off hitter hit it, then noone move. Let the guy run around the bases for an inside the parker..
Just 1 batter, then play ball. A semi-silent protest to management. If they all got cut, frankly most would be better off.

How bout fans stop going to games?

Or players refuse to play.

Or Pittsburgh shuts down the stadium until the Pirates can field a competitive team.

frankthetank1
06-05-2009, 04:46 PM
they are almost .500 and mclouth is only 27 so this is one of the dumbest trades of all time. who knows how hernandez is going to be. he is very young and in double A. if they wanted to trade mclouth they should of gotten a solid mlb starter and a prospect. the pirates have had the talent they just continue to make awful trades. although the nady trade is looking pretty good right now

SteelBucks
06-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Come on. I like Nate, and I was a little disappointed, but it's not like they traded Willie Stargell. They traded away a lifetime .261 hitter that plays an average CF and got three highly rated prospects from the Braves. Let's face it, Dave Littlefield left the organization in shambles and it's going to take a few years to rebuild.

Now if they lose their mind and trade Doumit, then I'll jump on the fire Neal Huntington bandwagon. :wink:

mshifko
06-05-2009, 10:00 PM
right now i'm not a huge fan of the trade, but only time will tell...i was a nate supporter, loved the way he played...we'll see how it pans out, regardless i'll still support them because i'm a pirates fan thru and thru, unfortunately...

papillon
06-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Might as well trade Duke also, he's 26, ERA under 3 and a lefty, he's got to be worth 3 or 4 prospects. Hell, just run the team like a AAA farm team and supply the rest of the league with quality players. The sheeple that watch baseball in Pittsburgh will still line up for tickets, because, it's cool to be seen at PNC park. The Pirates have been an embarrassment for 15 years to the city of Pittsburgh.

The city and tax payers should have just let them walk instead of building the stadium. MLB should step in and ask the owners WTF is going on are you criminally stupid or just that bad at running a franchise?

There, now I feel better. The Pirate ownership are :loser s.

Pappy

Ozey74
06-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Every time I have a sit down, I think of the Pirates!!

Mister Pittsburgh
06-06-2009, 09:52 AM
The only thing that will change anything, is when stupid fans that just go down there to look at exploding lights in the sky or to get their free dust collector trinket stop going.

Actually that probably wouldn't change anything either. Bob Nutting would just cut a few more players and bring in cheap replacements.

AkronSteel
06-06-2009, 10:20 AM
I actually liked the trade, and I was as big a Nate McLouth fan as anyone else. They needed to find a spot for McC and neither Morgan or Moss were going to bring the talented prospects that Nate did. This team is no where near contending and the reason is because Littlefield had dismantled the organization from top to bottom. The team is actually starting to make progress in the minors and the more depth that is in the minors the better the organization will be down the road. It's a long road back to respectability and its going to take awhile. Trading Nate hurt but he wasn't going to be here when the corner was turned anyways. Look at the pitching depth that is now in the minors.

Charlie Morton
Daniel McCutchen
Brad Lincoln
Daniel Moskos.....ok maybe I am overstepping on this one! :D
Bryan Morris
Jeff Locke

That depth wasn't there this time last year, all we had was JVB and Bullington and Herrera and well no one really.

NH is doing a job that no really wants him to do but it has to be done. This team will turn the corner at some point and it will be exactly what we all want.....a contender with a shelf life as opposed to a one year wonder and then back to the norm!!!

:2c

flippy
06-06-2009, 12:43 PM
AkronSteel, I hope you are right.

Every year I get a little more excited for Pirate baseball only to be let down.

I'd love it if we were finally on the right path.

But I've thought we might be a couple of times over the last 15 years.

aggiebones
06-07-2009, 06:25 PM
I'd maybe love the trade, if it wasn't routine for them to do this kinda stuff. You trade an entire young all-star lineup in less than a year. How are the 6-8 prospects they got going to equal 3 all stars? They aren't . Maybe 3-5 of them play a full season for the bucs and if they become good...
they are gone too.

NKySteeler
06-07-2009, 06:29 PM
The Pirates are the MLB version of the Cincinnati Bengals.... As fans, we can bitch all we want, but not much will change anytime soon... It is what it is...

SteelBucks
06-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Here's a good article from ESPN regarding the trade. When you have an organization, void of any real talent, these are the types of moves you have to make. Fact #4 says it all.........

It is now accepted as fact that the Pittsburgh Pirates are the most pathetic franchise in professional sports. The Nate McLouth trade confirmed it, no?

Sixteen consecutive losing seasons. This year would make 17 -- an all-time record in professional sports. Even the Lions and Clippers aren't that bad.

In a city that boasts the reigning Super Bowl champion and a hockey team that has made consecutive trips to the Stanley Cup finals, you'd think that Pirates management would be able to learn how to build a winner by example. Yet they are hopeless. It's a fact.

Well, you have your facts and I have mine.

Fact #1: .500 is not a goal. And 82-80 is not the promised land.

Now we see what 16 consecutive losing seasons can do to a fan base. In a city where half the population would consider letting the waters of the confluence consume them if the Steelers finished the season 8-8 or 9-7 ... in a city where they expect a hockey team led by a 21- and 22-year-old to win the Stanley Cup ... when it comes to baseball, all many fans dream of is mediocrity.

It's pathetic. Rooting for .500 is pathetic. Yes, nearly two decades of horrible management decisions pushed many Pirates fans to this. But have some dignity, people. Please. A .500 record is just losing with a pretty bow on it. It's just 62-100 without the high draft picks.

Fact #2: Nate McLouth is not a star.

He's just not. Pirates fans, after all the bad baseball you have been subjected to, I'm afraid your ability to properly evaluate talent can't really be trusted. Sorry.

A poor kid may think his yo-yo is the greatest toy ever made. But a rich kid's PlayStation 3 is still better.

Nate McLouth is a nice major league player. Great baserunner, good glove, and he's got some pop. He is a good outfielder on a mediocre team. On a championship-caliber team? He's a third outfielder. Maybe even a fourth outfielder. Notice that no one is touting the Braves as World Series favorites now. Or even NL East favorites. Career .261 hitters tend not to shift the balance of power in baseball.

Fact #3: The Pirates would not be good if they had kept their "core" in place.

Please stop pretending that last year's Opening Day outfield of Jason Bay, McLouth and Xavier Nady would one day be inducted en masse into Cooperstown.

Please. You're embarrassing yourselves.

When Nady was dealt last year, the Pirates were 48-55. When Bay left, they were 50-58. When McLouth was traded on Wednesday, they were 24-28. The Pirates aren't exactly breaking up the '27 Yankees. The '67 Yankees, maybe.

And, really, Xavier Nady?! We're talking about missing Xavier Nady? Not Barry Bonds, not Jason Bay. Not even Brian Giles. We talkin' about Xavier Nady. Xavier Nady, man. Xavier Nady. I mean, how silly is that. Xavier Nady.

Fact #4: The Pirates' front office actually knows what it's doing.

No. Really. And trust me, that was a hard sentence for me to write. The Microsoft Word paper-clip guy even popped up and said, "You appear to be talking crazy. Need me to contact the psychiatric hospital?"

But they do. Or, at the very least, they have a legitimate plan that they're sticking to. The past regimes of Cam Bonifay and Dave Littlefield would bounce back and forth between youth movements and signing undesired veterans to above-market contracts in hopes the magical land of .500 would be reached so they could keep their jobs.

New team president Frank Coonelly and general manager Neal Huntington have been on the job for a season and a half. They are not to blame for all that came before them. They inherited a franchise with little talent at the major league level and almost none in the minors. Not a strong hand to play. And an impossible hand to make a quick turnaround with. President Obama thinks he stepped into a bad situation. I'd take two wars and the worst economy since the Great Depression over a starting rotation that included Matt Morris and Ian Snell.

Fact #5: There is legitimate reason for hope in the very near future.

(Leave me alone, paper clip!) I realize Pirates fans have heard that before. I recall there was supposed to be a "championship contender" in place for the opening of PNC Park. PNC Park opened in 2001. That team went 62-100. The best team to play in the stadium (so far) went 75-87. The stadium has been open nine @$^*# years and the best team to play there was 75-87? My God. (Where's that paper clip. I want to unbend it and stab myself in the eye.)

But the current management is trying to do it the right way. They are breaking the team down. Completely. And then they're going to build it back up. Gone are the days of partial demolishments abandoned halfway through and patched together with some leftovers pulled off a trailer home.

In the Nady trade, the Pirates got 40 percent of their current starting rotation and a possible future star in Jose Tabata. (Yes, he has a 43-year-old wife who is an alleged baby-stealer. These are still the Pirates.) That trade was a clear win for Pittsburgh.

In the Bay trade, the Pirates got their current starting third baseman and several other prospects with high ceilings. That trade was a win for both sides.

In the McLouth trade, they got three highly regarded minor leaguers and cleared the way for potential superstar center fielder Andrew McCutchen, who went 2-for-4 with 3 runs, an RBI, a walk and a stolen base Thursday in his major league debut.

McCutchen is the kind of centerpiece player a team can build around -- a winning team can build around. Minor league third baseman Pedro Alvarez is projected to be that kind of player, too. They are not .500 messiahs like McLouth and Nady.

Just a couple more years of patience, Pirates fans. Trust me on this. It will be worth it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, some people in white coats are knocking on my door.

aggiebones
06-08-2009, 04:07 PM
I gotta admit, these are all things I thought of before. All are possibly true and I'm semi-willing to get back on board for them.
But damn, its the same song sang be everyone before them. Do I believe them, I think not.
We suck and until by the grace of God, we get squirrel a lucky, we are gonna continue to suck.