PDA

View Full Version : Sepulveda letting loose

PSU_dropout43
06-05-2009, 12:10 AM
by Scott Brown, Trib

Booming wouldn't exactly describe the punts that came off the left foot of Daniel Sepulveda today.

But the fact that Sepulveda kicked instead of spending most of his time idle during Steelers practice is progress nonetheless.

Sepulveda missed all of last season with a torn ACL in his right knee. When he complained to Steelers trainer John Norwig of discomfort in the same knee in April, a subsequent MRI revealed torn meniscus.

"I'm like, 'Are you kidding me?'" said Sepulveda, who had arthroscopic surgery six weeks ago. "If it was during the season, I wouldn't have said anything and I would have been fine. Just a little setback but we're working our way back to it. It feels better than it has in four years."

Sepulveda has a history of knee problems dating back to his days at Baylor University where he twice won the Ray Guy Award, given to the top collegiate punter in the country.

What is fortunate for the Steelers: all of Sepulveda's knee injuries have happened in his plant leg. Even better for both is that his right leg is strong enough that Sepulveda has started letting loose in practice.

The sight of him punting has to be a welcome one to coach Mike Tomlin and special teams coach Bob Ligashesky. The Steelers' special teams were generally a strong point last season rather than the albatross they had been in 2007.

Punting was a notable exception as Mitch Berger, Paul Ernster and Mitch Berger again made the absence of Sepulveda, who had a solid rookie season in 2007, all the more glaring.

For now, Sepulveda, who started kicking in earnest again last week, is working toward the point where he can punt "80 balls or so" without getting tired. That means the work is only starting for Sepulveda even though the Steelers conclude their offseason practices next week.

"It's been so long since I kicked that I just can't take off until training camp and come in here and expect to be in shape," said Sepulveda, who will return to Texas after next week. "I'm going to hit it pretty hard when I'm at home.

PSU_dropout43
06-05-2009, 12:58 AM
by Ed Bouchette

Daniel Sepulveda is back punting, six weeks after he had another surgery on his right knee.

The surgery, previously undisclosed, was to repair a torn meniscus in Sepulveda's plant leg.

It is the same knee that underwent surgery in August to repair a torn ACL and put Sepulveda on injured reserve all season.

The bottom line, Sepulveda said, is that his right knee "feels better than it has in four years or so."

Sepulveda said his anterior cruciate ligament sufficiently healed by Super Bowl XLIII and he had planned to punt during the spring until an MRI discovered the torn meniscus after he mentioned to trainer John Norwig that his knee bothered him.

Norwig ordered an MRI that showed the tear, which was then repaired by arthroscopic surgery.

"Just a little setback," Sepulveda called it, "but we're working our way back from it, and it's good to be back on my feet again."

Sepulveda punted yesterday under supervision of special-teams coach Bob Ligashesky. Sepulveda said he began punting last week and has experienced some frustration at times.

"It's just about getting back in a rhythm. It's been so long since I kicked consistently that stuff is going to happen. You don't kick a perfect ball every time and, when you don't, you get frustrated and ask yourself why. It's just a matter of getting back to the point where you feel good and you get in a rhythm."

He had his first ACL surgery before his senior season at Baylor. The left-footed Sepulveda is thankful all three surgeries were to his right knee and not his left.

"No doubt about it. I mean, all I need is a peg leg over there; just stick that thing in the ground and everything else does the rest of the work."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09156/97 ... HWpvjePT&D (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09156/975202-66.stm#ixzz0HWpvjePT&D)

Oviedo
06-05-2009, 08:31 AM
This is good news

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Why is this the first we are hearing about the second arthroscopic surgery on the torn meniscus 6 weeks ago after his reconstructive surgery on the ACL in training camp last year?

calmkiller
06-05-2009, 09:38 AM
does he tear **** by just walking around?

Oviedo
06-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Why is this the first we are hearing about the second arthroscopic surgery on the torn meniscus 6 weeks ago after his reconstructive surgery on the ACL in training camp last year?

Probably HIPA laws prevent the Steelers from just releasing medical information about players and the media is really clueless. This was not in season and so there was probably no NFL requirement. The Steelers also probably don't feel they need to inform the fans everytime someone farts just because the off season is boring.

stlrz d
06-05-2009, 10:43 AM

Probably HIPA laws prevent the Steelers from just releasing medical information about players and the media is really clueless. This was not in season and so there was probably no NFL requirement. The Steelers also probably don't feel they need to inform the fans everytime someone farts just because the off season is boring.

Unless it's Ben...and then we have to hear all the drama queen bull ****.

RussBII
06-05-2009, 05:27 PM

Unless it's Ben...and then we have to hear all the drama queen bull ****.

Whoa did Ben fart? What a freaking attention whore...
:roll:

fezziwig
06-07-2009, 03:54 PM
I think it was a burp. What are the chances Sepulveda shows that he was worth the draft pick and makes a big impact this season ?
Our defense did a great job defending half a field last season due to crummy punters that we had but, I doubt you can rely on them like that game after game.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-08-2009, 08:51 AM

My thoughts exactly. The same way I don't get upset when the team fails to discuss their gameplan before a playoff game, or their drafting strategies.

It might not be exciting press, or for the fans, but the hoodie in NE has it right.....the less info you disclose the better.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I think it was a burp. What are the chances Sepulveda shows that he was worth the draft pick and makes a big impact this season ?
Our defense did a great job defending half a field last season due to crummy punters that we had but, I doubt you can rely on them like that game after game.

I thought that Sepulveda made a pretty good impact during his rookie year when he downed 28 balls inside the 20 yard line with only 2 touchbacks. Aussie roll, baby!

Oviedo
06-08-2009, 10:42 AM

I thought that Sepulveda made a pretty good impact during his rookie year when he downed 28 balls inside the 20 yard line with only 2 touchbacks. Aussie roll, baby!

Because of the lack of respect his position gets Sepulveda doesn't get the credit he deserved his rookie year. Think about it though. He will likely have the ball more in his hands for important game changing plays than any player except Ben and a RB. He is a good player and I expect he will have a very good year.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2009, 12:25 PM

Because of the lack of respect his position gets Sepulveda doesn't get the credit he deserved his rookie year. Think about it though. He will likely have the ball more in his hands for important game changing plays than any player except Ben and a RB. He is a good player and I expect he will have a very good year.

I think so too. I just hope he doesn't get many opportunities, because that means that our offense is driving rather than punting. In a similar vein, I hope our punt returner gets significantly more action than our kick returner, because that means our defense is stopping the other team instead of allowing them to score.