PDA

View Full Version : NBC replaces Jerome Bettis as analyst

fordfixer
06-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Posted on Thu, Jun. 4, 2009

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/break ... alyst.html (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20090604_NBC_replaces_Jerome_Bettis_as_analyst.htm l)

NBC replaces Jerome Bettis as analyst

By Ron Musselman

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Bus has been parked.

NBC has opted not to renew the contract of former Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Bowl running back Jerome Bettis.

And with Cris Collinsworth replacing John Madden as a game analyst, it created two openings on the network's "Football Night in America" studio show.

NBC announced yesterday it hired Tony Dungy, a former Steelers defensive coordinator and NFL head coach, and former All-Pro safety Rodney Harrison as analysts to replace Bettis and Collinsworth.

Dungy and Harrison, who retired yesterday from the New England Patriots, were part of NBC's pregame coverage of Super Bowl XLII, where the Steelers rallied to beat the Arizona Cardinals, 27-23, for a record sixth championship.

"Over the past few years, I've enjoyed getting to know Tony through numerous production meetings and his work on our Super Bowl coverage and have been impressed by the way he handled himself not only as a coach and communicator, but more so as a human being," NBC sports chairman Dick Ebersol said. "What I learned is that in addition to his obvious Super Bowl credentials, Tony is a gifted storyteller."

Dungy, the first black coach to win a Super Bowl in 2007, retired earlier this year after seven seasons with the Indianapolis Colts. He also coached the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for six years.

Ebersol said the format for NBC's pregame show will undergo more changes and that more time would be spent on analysis of the upcoming game on "Sunday Night Football," and less time on highlights.

Bettis joined NBC in 2006 shortly after helping lead the Steelers to a 21-10 victory against the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL. He ended his playing career after 13 seasons, retiring as the NFL's No. 5 career rusher.

ghettoscott
06-05-2009, 08:51 AM
this wouldnt bother me but replacing a Steeler with a ***pat makes me angry. :evil:

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2009, 09:26 AM
this wouldnt bother me but replacing a Steeler with a ***pat makes me angry. :evil:

If I watched these crappy studio shows with a dozen or more guys talking over each other and pretending to laugh at each other's non-funny "jokes" then I might care.

If they actually talked real football for true fans instead of pseudo-entertainment in an effort to attract casual fans, then they may be worth watching. But I'm not holding my breath that this will happen any time soon.

RussBII
06-05-2009, 05:35 PM

If I watched these crappy studio shows with a dozen or more guys talking over each other and pretending to laugh at each other's non-funny "jokes" then I might care.

If they actually talked real football for true fans instead of pseudo-entertainment in an effort to attract casual fans, then they may be worth watching. But I'm not holding my breath that this will happen any time soon.

Bam! Well put.

Herewegosteelers!
06-05-2009, 10:07 PM
The Bus will be fine............he'll spend more time at his restaurant and make sure everything is tip-top and there is enough beer to go around :Beer

Steelgal
06-06-2009, 07:29 PM
The door is open now for the Bus to come back in a coaching role, although I highly doubt it happens :Steel

fezziwig
06-06-2009, 09:11 PM
harrison will open his mouth and each time he will embarrass himself. he's too low class to know that he is a smuck.
seems like the nfl finds the most obnoxious guys at times to put in the booth.

i didn't think it was the right gig for jerrrome either but wait and see, harrison is going act like he is with his bros at a cookout loud mouthing it and trying to one up each other.

stlrz d
06-07-2009, 12:32 AM
The door is open now for the Bus to come back in a coaching role, although I highly doubt it happens :Steel

Thanks to his folks, Bus was bowling over pins before he was bowling over would-be tacklers.

Next stop for Bus...PBA Tour!

http://www.bowl.com/images/USBowler/2008Spring/bettis.jpg

Terrible Bowling Towel -----> :tt1

Btw, his hands look big enough to palm a freaking bowling ball!

fezziwig
06-07-2009, 09:38 AM
I don't see the bus as a coach. Seems like the ones with the natural talent don't always make good coaches.

I always felt is was the players with limited physical talents but, had a lot of drive, determination and football smarts, desires to play above their attributes that seemed to make good coaches and motivators.

Cowher is a good example and probably the same for Tomlin. I say probably for Tomlin because I'm not familiar with his football playing career. Just with Tomlin not being a NFL player makes me feel the same way about him as Cowher.

Dungy is another example that comes to mind. I remember when Dungy was on the team and then became an assistant coach. One of the older guys at work, I was probably 20 years old at the time and the older guy being probably 36 or so made the comment, " how can they make him a coach when he isn't good enough to be a player on the team ? " I never forgot that.

I think it was mel Blount that said as one of Dungys teammates. " I never been around another player like Dungy that understands and knows so much about the game of football. " To me that is pretty high praise.

ghettoscott
06-07-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't see the bus as a coach. Seems like the ones with the natural talent don't always make good coaches.

... kind of like Dr. Ruth ....man, someone didnt really have sex with that woman right?...but somehow she is an expert on the boom-chicka-boom-a-boom...

ikestops85
06-08-2009, 01:52 PM
I think Bettis might make a very good coach. After all he did well tutoring FWP while he was here.