PDA

View Full Version : Is Team of the Decade Still Up for Grabs?

fordfixer
06-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Is Team of the Decade Still Up for Grabs?

Posted Jun 03, 2009 9:51PM By JJ Cooper

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/06/03/is-t ... rabs/#cont (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/06/03/is-team-of-the-decade-still-up-for-grabs/#cont)

Sports Illustrated's Don Banks has thrown out a topic guaranteed to stir up a lot of passion and a lot of hate by ranking the 32 NFL teams over the past decade. That leads to the bigger question: is the title of team of the decade still up for grabs?

The Packers were the team of the 1960s, the Steelers claimed the 1970s, the 49ers dominated the 80s and the Cowboys were the team of the 1990s (even if their domination lasted for only the first half of the decade). Heading into the final year of the decade, the Patriots are the clear leaders to earn the title "Team of the 00's" with three Super Bowl rings and four Super Bowl appearances, but Banks argues that the Steelers could end up stealing that moniker with a second-straight Lombardi Trophy that would also give them three rings this decade.

And Banks even goes as far as saying that the Colts could move into the argument with their second Super Bowl title since they could end the decade with a better record than the Patriots.

As much as it pains me as a diehard Steelers fan to say this, I can't see how Pittsburgh could end up earning the team of the decade honors. Pittsburgh's best hope is to muddy the waters and make it so there is no team of the decade. Even if Pittsburgh wins the Super Bowl this year, New England will still have more Super Bowl appearances

If you throw Spygate into it, fans can argue that the Patriots' Super Bowls are tarnished, but the combination of three Super Bowl titles, a fourth appearance, an 18-1 season and the best regular season record of the decade makes it hard to argue that any other team can top them for the title.

But more than anything, Pittsburgh has something else to play for in 2009 -- a seventh Super Bowl title would give them two more than any other team, further cementing their claim to be the best team of the modern era.

Acero
06-04-2009, 09:18 AM
That last paragraph pretty much sums it all. Team of the decade PALES in comparison to best team of ALL TIME.

The quest for Seven begins.

TallyStiller
06-04-2009, 09:42 AM
The only way we lay claim to this decade is by rolling through this season near perfect, DESTROYING the Pats in a playoff game, and going on to win the Super Bowl, thus matching their 2007 regular season and erasing the stain of 2 AFCC home failures against the Pats*** and their videographer all in one shot. All of our outrage and asterisks aside, though, spygate will not affect historical perceptions of the Pats anymore than steroids have affected the image of the Yankees and Red Sox teams that won during the anything goes steroid era. Jimmy Johnson was actually one of the few who defended Belichick in '07 when the scandal broke... said he and his staff engaged in all sorts of signal and game plan stealing skulduggery, and his 'Boys won 3 in 4 years. The truth is, cheaters often DO win, and if you're going to win clean, you've just got to work that much harder at it... Like Rocky when he beat that Drago dude... :D

In the end, don't really care how history perceives us, however... just want ring #7.

SteelCzar76
06-04-2009, 12:05 PM
There is no question that we should be considered the greatest football franchise of all time. But in terms of team of the decade,..i'd say that we would not only have to win a World Title this season, but go through a Patsies team led by Brady, (preferably on their homefield),...to at least offset any claims that they could have for as much.

Even then,..many would consider things about even because of how they have thoroughly embarrassed us whenever it really counted in the past. :HeadBanger :evil:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
I'd say that unless NE wins the title this year then there is no team of the decade.

BURGH86STEEL
06-04-2009, 05:50 PM
There is no question that we should be considered the greatest football franchise of all time. But in terms of team of the decade,..i'd say that we would not only have to win a World Title this season, but go through a Patsies team led by Brady, (preferably on their homefield),...to at least offset any claims that they could have for as much.

Even then,..many would consider things about even because of how they have thoroughly embarrassed us whenever it really counted in the past. :HeadBanger :evil:

Some fans will get all over you about the greatest franchise of all time. That is because football existed before the SB era. Steelers pretty much stunk in the pre SB era. I don't think there is a question that the Steelers have been the greatest franchise in the SB era.

Even if the Steelers win the SB again, a lot of fans will consider the Pats the team of the decade. They have been consistently better than the Steelers over this decade. It is really hard to say if the video taping really aided the Pats as much as some claim. Most times, teams know what plays are going to be run anyway. Pats still had to execute to be successful. At least we can always rib Pats fans about the video taping.

fezziwig
06-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Being that the Cheats have 3 rings this decade and they went over us to get them then, I would have to give the nod to the Cheats.

If you look at the reality of it and how they cheated, the Steelers are the true team of the decade. Seems like and heck, it is like that the NFL powers that be, clearly wants everyone to overlook the fact that there was cheating going on.

As I always said, " the NFL needed this to go away fast before the house of cards came down. " They have the monopoly on Americas sport and they can't admit that the New England slime screwed everyone.

If the Steelers win this years Super Bowl then you can argue the point until the cows come home between the Steelers vs. Cheaters.

For sure the media will take the Cheats side as they always have and as they are directed to do.

If the Steelers throttle the Cheats in the playoffs, you surely have to give the props to the Steelers.

I don't know if us having two different coaches during this decade would help or hinder the title of team of the decade.

I truly believe if we stay healthy, we will win this seasons Super Bowl.

DANG ! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SEASON TO BEGIN !
( but, what else is new )

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Is Team of the Decade Still Up for Grabs?

To me this question answers itself. Think about this: in the '60s, '70s, '80s, and '90s who was the runner up to "Team of the Decade"? There was no team even close in the running.

This decade has two teams who are in contention. One has three titles and one SB loss, one has two titles with an AFCC loss. Both have been playoff teams through most of the decade, as well as serious contenders. Currently NE has the stonger resume, but not a dominating one. One more title this year would cement that. Without an '09 SB victory, this will be the decade without a team.

SteelCzar76
06-05-2009, 08:19 PM

Some fans will get all over you about the greatest franchise of all time. That is because football existed before the SB era. Steelers pretty much stunk in the pre SB era. I don't think there is a question that the Steelers have been the greatest franchise in the SB era.

Even if the Steelers win the SB again, a lot of fans will consider the Pats the team of the decade. They have been consistently better than the Steelers over this decade. It is really hard to say if the video taping really aided the Pats as much as some claim. Most times, teams know what plays are going to be run anyway. Pats still had to execute to be successful. At least we can always rib Pats fans about the video taping.

Good points Burgh and i am fully aware of the history of the game prior to the Super Bowl era. However, i would consider the inception of said era as the beginning of a "level playing field" (so to speak) and as such,....give us the edge. Though of course it can be said that that opinion on my part may be juuust a bit biased. :lol:

Like you though,...i don't regard the whole "Spygate" conspiracy as much of an issue. As it what,..may have given them perhaps two more regular season wins ? And in regards to us in the playoffs,....i bleed black and gold and am still man enough to admit that they just simply outplayed us for the most part and took great advantage of very poor QB play on our part.

I still say that if we dismantle them in a title game this season with Brady as their field general and go on to dominate our opponent in the SuperBowl,..we will most certainly at the very least be considered as tied with them for "team of the decade". (If not "The Team)

DukieBoy
06-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Sad for the NFL if the "team of the decade '00's" ends up having astericks *** next to its name.

pick6
06-05-2009, 09:18 PM
This is weird. I was just thinking about this subject last night at the end of the pens game. You guys have already hit on alot of the pionts that I was going to address but one thing that we have to mention is how does belicheck feel about it. Although no one can read his mind, I can almost guarantee that this is on his mind. Belicheck hates the Steelers. always has since his days with the Browns. It felt so good for him to beat us in those championship games. I don't mean to look ahead but my expectations of this team are to make the playoffs and let's just say that our schedule does not do anything to deter this thought. With that said my season is built around meeting the patriots in the playoffs with the team of the decade on the line. This is how BElicheck will percieve the matchup. Whether or not another superbowl ring this year would make us the team of the decade is up for debate. But in my opinion if win the superbowl this year then the Patriots ARE NOT THE TEAM OF THE DECADE. I dont hate the browns (to pitiful). I dont even hate the Ravens ( we own them, plus they won a superbowl based on defense alone, any Steeler fan respects that). But I hate the patriots and i cant stand Belicheck and yes they are clearly cheaters. If I were Tomlin I would put together a three man scouting commission whose sole responsibility was to analyze every play, player, tendency, weakness, and strength of the patriots for the entire year. I would get them a safe house in Boston. Seriously I would do this. By the end of the year we would know the patriots as well as belicheck.

steelcityrules!!
06-06-2009, 09:50 AM
In my insanely biased, out-right hatred for the illegitimate era of ill-gotten rings by the pats... if we win the title again this season, there's no doubt we are the team of the decade. Berman, king, and every other tom brady knob-schlobber would tend to argue, but we all know in the darkest reaches of their psyche's, they have doubts about the legitimacy of the ****patsies****

Do I give them credit for being a talented team? yes.
Do I feel that they squeaked out wins in huge games, by cheating? YES.

I might be in the minority, but I refuse to say a team with that big of a question mark is the un-questioned "team of the decade"

fezziwig
06-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I bet if the Steelers win this years Super Bowl and even next seasons Super Bowl, they'll still try to dub the Cheats the team of the decade.