PDA

View Full Version : Anyone EVER hear Ben is a good guy?

Mister Pittsburgh
06-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever heard that Ben Roethlisberger is a good guy off the football field. I mean for my purposes, as a fan, I don't care if he is cool or the type to walk an old lady across the street. I just want him to throw TD's, not get arrested, and not get smashed into by cars.

However, all I ever hear anyone say about him off the football field is negative stuff like he treats women terribly and is basically just a douche bag. I have never met the guy so I have no idea.

Can anyone on here confirm that they have met him or give a hint as to what types of things you hear about him?

Guess I am just bored and the offseason is too long.

Only positive thing I can confirm hearing about Ben is him buying those trained drug dogs for cops. Pretty odd all I hear is negative stuff about a guy that wrote PFJ on his shoes like he was such a noble person.

ramblinjim
06-03-2009, 05:36 PM
I've never met Ben, I would probably break into "I'm not worthy" a la Waynes World if I ever did but I've always heard he was a pretty good guy, took extra time signing autographs for kids, especially sick kids, etc.

mshifko
06-03-2009, 06:21 PM
i met him at training camp before the 2005 season and i thought he was a cool dude...he took the time to shake my hand, small talk, sign my autograph and what not...my uncle was a security guard there so i was able to get the hook up...

sd steel
06-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I met him in the parking lot of a sports bar in the Strip District around 1:30AM in Nov 2007 after beating the Browns. He was cordial and signed and autograph for my son. I did speak with Kemo that night as well though, and Kemo didn't seem like he was fond of Ben's celebrity status at the time. But in my brief encounter he was cool and didn't blow me off, and signed an autograph.

Ozey74
06-03-2009, 07:23 PM
I had a business contact a few years ago whose backyard was catty cornered with the Roethlisberger's back yard in Lima Ohio. This woman had known the Roethlisbergers for several years and very nice things to say about the entire family. She said that he happened to be home visiting in the offseason a few years ago during a snow storm & that Big Ben was out helping the neighbors shovel snow so they could get their cars out of the driveway.

fezziwig
06-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I never meant him. Two people that I know that have been to places where Ben was at said he wouldn't even acknowledge the crowd or any one person. After his celebrity basket ball game or whatever it was about, Ben ran to his SUV and tore off with attitude.

Just telling you what I have heard about him.

I have never heard anything nice about him until the snow shoveling. Maybe I'll call him this winter, my driveway is 286 ft long and a work out.

Jom112
06-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Never met the guy but he seems like he would be a good beer pong partner. :Cheers

I'll get a chance to meet Jay Cutler next weekend, here in Chicago. So I can confirm if he's really a big a douche as he comes off...

Ozey74
06-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Never met the guy but he seems like he would be a good beer pong partner. :Cheers

I'll get a chance to meet Jay Cutler next weekend, here in Chicago. So I can confirm if he's really a big a douche as he comes off...

I have a feeling he is a big douche.

You should suggest to Culter that if things don't work out in Chicago than he should join a Beatles tribute band.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/photo_images/11833/44767_Bears_Cutler_Football.jpg

http://forgottenjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/beatles.jpg

flippy
06-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I suspect the negativity comes from those who are jealous.

The guy's about as perfect an NFL player as there is in the league. Almost too perfect and too polished and wise beyond his years.

Everyone's a good person. Sometime people have bad days too.

Ozey74
06-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I suspect the negativity comes from those who are jealous.

The guy's about as perfect an NFL player as there is in the league. Almost too perfect and too polished and wise beyond his years.

Everyone's a good person. Sometime people have bad days too.

I agree with you Flippy. Alot of the negativity probably comes from people who think they deserve Ben's attention and time just because they are wearing a Roethlisberger jersey.

Imagine, when going out in public, having everybody's undivided attention when you walk in a room just because of who you are. It would be tough to put on your "happy face" every time.

Crash
06-03-2009, 10:43 PM
This was posted by Mike Lorello's father on the Trib board a few years ago when Mike was in our camp.....take from this what you will.
__________________________________________________ _____

sorry I have not provided an update for a couple of days...with our daughter getting married in September and getting back late from camp, time just seems to fly by.....so let me tell you a little story that occurred after practice last Thursday that gives all of us a little insight into Big Ben's character....

for those of you who have been to the camp you know that many of the players spend time signing autographs after practice is over....it is a mad house and you need to give all of them credit for taking the time, particularly in these hot and muggy conditions after a pretty strenuous practice session....

well Ben, Willie, Troy, Jeff, Ike, etc. did their thing and spent almost a half an hour signing autographs....but when Ben finally got to the door of the locker room building there was a little girl (I'm going to guess she was 9-10) in a wheelchair...and I am guessing by her actions, she suffers from cerebral palsy...and we have all seen how those with this terrible disorder react when they get excited and they just make your heart feel warm because you want to join them in their joy...well when this little girl saw Ben she absolutely glowed..Ben immediately saw her and went right to her...gave her a big hug, talked with her for awhile, let the child's mother take pictures...I mean it was such a wonderful sight I got tears in my eyes...

but that is not the end of the story....after Ben went into the building the little girl was still bubbling and the folks around her (family I believe) were sharing her moment with her....then about five minutes later Ben reappeared...this time he had a brand new NFL football and he sat down on the concrete next to the girl and started talking with her...I think he was asking her her name and what she liked, etc....he then took the ball and began writing a message on it and when he was finished he presented her with the ball, gave her a great big hug and kiss and returned to the locker room...ladies and gentlemen at this time I was crying and so were several other people who saw what Ben did....now that is being a STEELER!!!!...Ben did something this little girl will remember forever and for a brief time, I know she forgot about her illness and just loved the moment...and so did I...

phillyesq
06-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Wow, nothing nearly as touching as the last story.

Last offseason, my Mom saw Ben regularly at the gym she went to. He played a lot of pickup basketball. She noticed him just because of his size and athletic ability, but he didn't do anything to stand out. He just wanted to do his thing and play some ball -- he wasn't a prima dona, but was friendly in the game. She didn't ask for an autograph because the opportunity never presented itself and she didn't want to hound him. I believe she heard from others that he went out to play ball in the 'burbs so that he wouldn't be hounded. Not a Cutler type ignoring fans, but at the same time, wanting to enjoy a quasi-normal life.

Jooser
06-03-2009, 11:13 PM
This was posted by Mike Lorello's father on the Trib board a few years ago when Mike was in our camp.....take from this what you will.

sorry I have not provided an update for a couple of days...with our daughter getting married in September and getting back late from camp, time just seems to fly by.....so let me tell you a little story that occurred after practice last Thursday that gives all of us a little insight into Big Ben's character....

for those of you who have been to the camp you know that many of the players spend time signing autographs after practice is over....it is a mad house and you need to give all of them credit for taking the time, particularly in these hot and muggy conditions after a pretty strenuous practice session....

well Ben, Willie, Troy, Jeff, Ike, etc. did their thing and spent almost a half an hour signing autographs....but when Ben finally got to the door of the locker room building there was a little girl (I'm going to guess she was 9-10) in a wheelchair...and I am guessing by her actions, she suffers from cerebral palsy...and we have all seen how those with this terrible disorder react when they get excited and they just make your heart feel warm because you want to join them in their joy...well when this little girl saw Ben she absolutely glowed..Ben immediately saw her and went right to her...gave her a big hug, talked with her for awhile, let the child's mother take pictures...I mean it was such a wonderful sight I got tears in my eyes...

but that is not the end of the story....after Ben went into the building the little girl was still bubbling and the folks around her (family I believe) were sharing her moment with her....then about five minutes later Ben reappeared...this time he had a brand new NFL football and he sat down on the concrete next to the girl and started talking with her...I think he was asking her her name and what she liked, etc....he then took the ball and began writing a message on it and when he was finished he presented her with the ball, gave her a great big hug and kiss and returned to the locker room...ladies and gentlemen at this time I was crying and so were several other people who saw what Ben did....now that is being a STEELER!!!!...Ben did something this little girl will remember forever and for a brief time, I know she forgot about her illness and just loved the moment...and so did I...

Nice post Crash, and nice to hear from you again. I think Ben's a stand up guy and an absolute hero in the hearts of so many folks it's hard to fathom. He's one of the few sports celebrities who actually gets it, and appreciates what life has given to him. ...and I'm sorry for yelling at him when he throws interceptions.... :HeadBanger

Crash
06-04-2009, 03:17 AM
And here's an opinion that will probably shock most here because of who said it.............

"He was my neighbor for two years. He is one of the most kind and gracious human beings I have ever met, and one that I owe a lot of gratitude to for that time of my life."

-Mark Madden
01/20/09

Crash
06-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Cutler from what I was told by people here who dealt with him is a class a douche. Just someone who has to let you know he's there and he's Jay Cutler, and you're not.

Ozey74
06-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Cutler grew up about 45 minutes away from me and excelled at baseball in high school. I have heard that Cutler is an unbelievable A-Hole from a few people who played baseball against him in high school.

steelblood
06-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Ben has made some decisions that show immaturity. He also obviously gets tired of the obsessed fans from time to time. These are normal responses from a normal guy. Sometimes he is kind and thoughtful, sometimes not. Ben is Ben and we are lucky to have him wear the black & gold.

Ghost
06-04-2009, 09:12 AM
I work with Terrel Suggs Mother in Law. I have a bunch of Steelers stuff in my office so she knows I'm a fan. She said Terrrel and Ben are friends in the off season. She's been to Ben's house and gone out with him and Terrel to dinner. Said he was awesome. Very nice, friendly, and pleasant to be around. I'll believe her over some stupid story about what may or may not have occurred in a bar sometime.

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2009, 10:15 AM

I wonder what happened to ol' eltrain. Even though he no longer has an "in" with the team since his son is not a Steeler anymore, he was still always good for thoughtful insights and other contributions to the board.

I also wonder what happened to Patrick Williams.

NW Steeler
06-04-2009, 10:45 AM

I have a brother that has cerebral palsy. When I hear stories like that it actually tears me up a little as it means a lot to me. That is one of the coolest things that athletes can do, is spend time with children that are handicapped or ill. Good for Ben. I like him even more now.

SteelCzar76
06-04-2009, 11:32 AM
In my opinion as long as he isn't murdering, raping, beating women, stealing or endangering anyone else's lives and or property off of the field,..and not throwing ridiculous interceptions when playing,...i could care less as to whether or not he's a "nice guy".

How the man chooses to conduct himself on a personal level with strangers is his business.

fezziwig
06-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I work with Terrel Suggs Mother in Law. I have a bunch of Steelers stuff in my office so she knows I'm a fan. She said Terrrel and Ben are friends in the off season. She's been to Ben's house and gone out with him and Terrel to dinner. Said he was awesome. Very nice, friendly, and pleasant to be around. I'll believe her over some stupid story about what may or may not have occurred in a bar sometime.

Not to say Ben wasn't nice to her because I'm sure he was. People put on different faces attitudes depending upon whom they are with. I doubt Ben acts the same way around his friends mother in law compared to his buddies, family, general public.

Mister Pittsburgh
06-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the stories guys. I started this thread because, honestly, all I ever heard was negative stuff. Guess I have just heard from those that had negative things to say.

I happened to be at a BBQ last weekend and this older guy, probably in his late 50's, heard me talking to someone else about the Steelers and Ben. He came over and said his neice was a playboy model and Ben was saying a lot of piggish things and acting like she should want to get with him just because of who he was. I didn't know the guy so can't verify if he is full of chit or not.

Any ladies on this board that ever had an encounter with Ben out on the town?

Either way, like I said, as long as he is throwing TD's I am cool with him.

ikestops85
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
I remember reading about this last year but I never saw the video. It did bring tears to my eyes and says a lot about Ben and the Steeler organization.

Akeem Haven's Make a Wish (http://steelers.fandome.com/video/101955/My-Wish-Ben-Roethlisberger/)

buckeyehoppy
06-08-2009, 02:29 AM
I wonder what happened to ol' eltrain. Even though he no longer has an "in" with the team since his son is not a Steeler anymore, he was still always good for thoughtful insights and other contributions to the board.

I also wonder what happened to Patrick Williams.

FWIW, I miss both of these guys and hope they will weigh in once the season starts. I know PW has a butt load on his plate being a single father, so that might be a factor. Eltrain is a class act, period. I'm sure he will contribute once the stuff gets hot and heavy.

As for Ben, I've heard all the BS that surrounds celebrities and, to be perfectly honest, I'm not much for all the gossip. If I ever get to meet Ben, I'll treat him like anyone else. He probably doesn't put on his pants or wipe his @$$ a whole lot differently than I do. Sure, he can throw 30 TD passes every year in the NFL and I can't. But, I am sure that there are things that I can do that he might be able to take notes on. Either way, I'm sure he'd appreciate the human touch when met by fans. That's what I would give him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
To me, I have always thought that Ben is a small town guy, went to a small school, and is not used to the whole public and media crush that comes with being a $100M QB. Of all of those stories that were told, the one that makes the most sense to me is that he wants to go out and play pick up ball in the 'burbs and just be another one of the guys.

I'm sure like most people, he has his good days with the celebrity attention - see his actions with the young girl in the wheelchair, and his bad days - see his quick getaway after a celebrity basketball game. As fans we are never privy to the issues surrounding his life at the time, all we get are the snapshots, and fans and media pass judgement based on that.

How would you react if every moment of your celebrity life involved some guy digging into the garbage after you and taking your fork? :shock:

aggiebones
06-08-2009, 03:37 PM
LOL, why I find this all funny, I have no idea.
I did like the Palsy story of the young girl. Maybe he did go above and beyond there and maybe most of us would. But you can't totally judge a man truly for being nice to someone in a really bad situation.
..Nor should you judge him for pics at a party or for having a bad relationship with some young girl.

I got married at 34, now 40. I dare say I had many bad relationships before I found the one. Most ended amiably, but not all and some were short and ugly (the relationship, not the women, though some were :))
Alas, if he gets tired of all the jock sniffers and tels them to F off periodically, then so be it. 99% of us would do the same at some point if in the same position. Don't act like you would always be grateful and willing to spend your limited free time. That's your thinking as a useless fat guy in your 40s. Walk in his shoes. Yes, many parts would be glorious, but the lack of space would grow horribly tiresome.
Also, if some 'playboy' model was all on my jock, I'd like brag about it to my friend's too. If its your daughter, then maybe teacher her not to be a ho.

Here we go Steelers. Here we go!!!

bostonsteeler
06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Either way, I'm sure he'd appreciate the human touch when met by fans. That's what I would give him.

Its hard to be normal around someone you know is a celebrity.

Ran into Korkie once in his heyday, when he was a big name in the burgh. Same airline counter as I. Feb 22 1997. So there I was waiting beside him, pretending he was just another stranger, answering the agent at my side of the counter, minding my own business, while he minded his with the other agent.
Then my friend who'd come to drop me off got to talking with him. Turned out to be a really nice kid; very down-to-earth, no airs, told us he was flying to Atlanta (I think), was in town for some work, thanked us for wishing him luck in the next season...

But to be sure, in all of the hundreds of times Ive flown, Ive never noticed the guy/gal at the other counter on any other occasion. They were all just faceless strangers.

I sat beside Christian Vick (cousin of Mike's) on a flight from Lisbon once, long before Mike's dog act surfaced. The kid was playing in the basketball league in Portugal. Again, a very humble down-to-earth kid. Told me mike's advice to him was "dont womanize" !! :-) :-)

RuthlessBurgher
06-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Either way, I'm sure he'd appreciate the human touch when met by fans. That's what I would give him.

Its hard to be normal around someone you know is a celebrity.

Ran into Korkie once in his heyday, when he was a big name in the burgh. Same airline counter as I. Feb 22 1997. So there I was waiting beside him, pretending he was just another stranger, answering the agent at my side of the counter, minding my own business, while he minded his with the other agent.
Then my friend who'd come to drop me off got to talking with him. Turned out to be a really nice kid; very down-to-earth, no airs, told us he was flying to Atlanta (I think), was in town for some work, thanked us for wishing him luck in the next season...

But to be sure, in all of the hundreds of times Ive flown, Ive never noticed the guy/gal at the other counter on any other occasion. They were all just faceless strangers.

I sat beside Christian Vick (cousin of Mike's) on a flight from Lisbon once, long before Mike's dog act surfaced. The kid was playing in the basketball league in Portugal. Again, a very humble down-to-earth kid. Told me mike's advice to him was "dont womanize" !! :-) :-)

Killing dogs is fine. Just no boom-chicka-boom-boom with any ladies afterwards. :wink:

Starlifter
06-11-2009, 12:24 AM
in my 'normal' life I interact with high-profile folks on a fairly regular basis. It's been my experience they are pretty much like everyone else. 90% are cool, the rest are jaggovs. The one point we all need to remember is that Big Ben can be the greatest guy ever 364 days out of the year but if he just has 1 bad day, that's the day that gets printed in the newspaper. so unless I hear or experience over and over someone is a douche, i give them the benefit of the doubt.

oh, and FYI.....tommy lee jones, drunk a$$ douche. i'm just saying..... :tt1

frankthetank1
06-11-2009, 12:34 PM
in my 'normal' life I interact with high-profile folks on a fairly regular basis. It's been my experience they are pretty much like everyone else. 90% are cool, the rest are jaggovs. The one point we all need to remember is that Big Ben can be the greatest guy ever 364 days out of the year but if he just has 1 bad day, that's the day that gets printed in the newspaper. so unless I hear or experience over and over someone is a douche, i give them the benefit of the doubt.

oh, and FYI.....tommy lee jones, drunk a$$ douche. i'm just saying..... :tt1

i agree, i always give players and other high profile people the benefit of the doubt. im way too skeptical to put much stock in what the media says about a person's character. its really funny you say that about tommy lee jones. one of my closest friends met him in the west palm beach airport and he said he couldnt have been more of an a$$ hole. barry bonds is another a$$ hole. he was the biggest dick i have ever met as far as famous people i have met and i was only 12 at the time and he was still rude to me

fezziwig
06-11-2009, 08:54 PM
i can see tommy lee being pompous.

Jom112
06-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Cutler grew up about 45 minutes away from me and excelled at baseball in high school. I have heard that Cutler is an unbelievable A-Hole from a few people who played baseball against him in high school.

So I finally got to "meet" Cutler a couple of days ago. I have to say he was a pretty stand-up guy. I'll lay out the exact scenario.

I volunteered last weekend to help my wife out at an event that her Hospital was doing. Jay Cutler volunteered to do a speech to Kids for Diabetes in the Chicago area since he has it. It was a medium sized event with 350 kids max with their parents.

Jay was only expected to show up and talk about Diabetes and do a little smoozing afterwards. Well he decided to come a day in advance to the Hospital to meet all the kids and talk to the Parents as well. Everyone at the Hospital said he was great. The next day was the actual event.

I got there early to help setup. It was raining and f-ing freezing. It was an outdoor event so everyone had to huddle around a temporary tent. Jay came out and did his speech on Diabetes. Out of the 350 kids invited probably only 100ish came. After he talked, Jay stood on stage and took pictures and signed autographs with every single family. He even stayed and took pictures with some volunteers at the end who jumped on stage.

The guy might still be a world-class A-Hole, but I have to give him credit for the way he interacted with the kids that day. He was unbelieveable with the Kids and although he might be a dick with adults he did great with the kids...

fezziwig
06-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Just at the hospital today getting some blood work and the station that I was at was decorated with Steeler stuff. The nurse at the station was also wearing her Steeler pin. I said to her, " so your a Steeler fan, hows your enthusiasm doing waiting on the new season ? "
She is really excited and we talked a bit about the Steelers. The conversation turned to individual players ( she did all the talking actually ). She was at some charity event or something to that affect with her 6 year old nephew and she said all the players were great and then they met Ben. Her nephew looked up at Ben and continued to say, Hi Ben, hi big Ben, hi Ben, hi Ben. Ben looked down at him like a giant and just walked away.
She then said she caught up to Ben and told him off. Told him that she is not there to see him but her nephew thinks you walk on water. Your only in demand because we the fans place you in that position and now go back and say hello to my nephew.
She also said she told him that he was an arogant snob.

She went on to tell me Ben walked up to her nephew, shook his hand and treated him very nice. As they walked away from him Ben gave her a look that you know he was thinking, go to hell bitch.

Don't know if any of this is true but since this string was up, I thought I'd tell you.

I think she said this happened last year.

If all this negative Ben stuff is true that we hear, I wonder if it gets back to the Rooneys and if they have ever spoken to him about the public image I'm sure they would like him to reflect ?

Crash
06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
There are always gonna be people who supposedly have "stories" about players but who really knows?

A buddy of mine to this day roots against Phil Mickelson because he supposedly didn't sign anything for his son. But I know from first hand experience when the PGA had their tournament at Castle Pines that Phil signed for basically EVERYONE, to the point that he even brought his own sharpie out of his shirt pocket.

I find it very hard to believe that Ben or ANY Steelers player would snub a kid at a charity function.

frankthetank1
06-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Just at the hospital today getting some blood work and the station that I was at was decorated with Steeler stuff. The nurse at the station was also wearing her Steeler pin. I said to her, " so your a Steeler fan, hows your enthusiasm doing waiting on the new season ? "
She is really excited and we talked a bit about the Steelers. The conversation turned to individual players ( she did all the talking actually ). She was at some charity event or something to that affect with her 6 year old nephew and she said all the players were great and then they met Ben. Her nephew looked up at Ben and continued to say, Hi Ben, hi big Ben, hi Ben, hi Ben. Ben looked down at him like a giant and just walked away.
She then said she caught up to Ben and told him off. Told him that she is not there to see him but her nephew thinks you walk on water. Your only in demand because we the fans place you in that position and now go back and say hello to my nephew.
She also said she told him that he was an arogant snob.

She went on to tell me Ben walked up to her nephew, shook his hand and treated him very nice. As they walked away from him Ben gave her a look that you know he was thinking, go to hell bitch.

Don't know if any of this is true but since this string was up, I thought I'd tell you.

I think she said this happened last year.

If all this negative Ben stuff is true that we hear, I wonder if it gets back to the Rooneys and if they have ever spoken to him about the public image I'm sure they would like him to reflect ?

you never know the whole story though. if it was a charity event i assume there was a bunch of people there. a 6 year old kid or so is pretty short ben is around 6'5 or so its pretty possible he didnt hear the kid. but you never know. even the best of us have our bad days. imagine if you had to live your life in the spot light and always had to be nice. i consider myself a nice person but even i would have a difficult time being nice 24-7

fezziwig
06-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Not here on a mission to bash Ben, just going along with the stories that I heard. I personally have no idea what type of personality Ben has and I do agree about how hard it is to keep a smile on your face 24/7.
After being at work all day and painting a smile on my face and putting my best foot forward with clients all day long, I get home and I don't even want to talk.

As ironic as it is, i just left the auto body shop from where my wifes car is and there was a girl there ( customer ) talking to the bodyman.
They were talking about Big Ben. She ran into Ben and Kiesel and Ben was nice and asking her about her dog in whatever parking lot at the time. If you seen this girl you would be nice to her too.
Turns out she is friends with Bens hometown neighbor that works at a suds and spuds type place.
The neighbor girl doesn't care for Ben at all and said the NFL hasn't changed Ben, he's been the way he is since childhood.
Plus he never tips her when he's at her place of work.
I just laughed. I made the comment that he isn't well liked and cheap lol.
Again, please don't think I'm trying to alter anyones opinion of Ben, just addressing the string.

I actually don't care to meet any of our Steelers for just these reasons. I don't want to judge someone on a glimps of a moment and I really don't want to gather an opinion of someone that I may find out isn't my cup of tea and then have to cheer them on.

Win or lose as a player I would rather respect the player first. That is why I can truly say, ' if I was a pats fan and learned Bellicheat was cheating and is the grouch that he has proven to be, I'd have to pick a new team to back.

JAR
06-23-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't think a bad guy would give up some of his time off to do this...

Big Ben's Football Camp Welcomes Hundreds Of Kids

http://kdka.com/steelers/Ben.Roethlisbe ... 54322.html (http://kdka.com/steelers/Ben.Roethlisberger.Football.2.1054322.html)

anger 82&95
06-23-2009, 06:55 PM
I recently presented at a mental health seminar in Florida, and it just so happened that a large contingent from the social work audience worked for non-profits in Pittsburgh. Later, as we were all having a few drinks at the hotel bar, I fired off some questions to these fine ladies, and the consensus was that during any type of charity event in which B. Ben made an appearance, he was a complete arse hole and ignored everyone. The situation became much more interesting when my inebriated colleague asked: “maybe you’re just angry because you were too ugly for him notice you.”

BATMAN
06-23-2009, 10:33 PM
I've heard nothing but the same bad reports about Ben like some of you fans.

I was told he isn't well liked by many of his teammates. I guess Ben picks the people on the team that he will allow to be apart of his private super star life.

All too bad if he is truly the creep he is made out to be.

I noticed after their first Super Bowl win with Ben and after the game he and Jerrome were huddled together with Ben speaking to Jerrome. Sports reporters came up to interview and Ben nudged them away. He did it in a way as if they were nothing to him or of any value. I realize it was Ben and Jerromes moment, the reporters do get in their faces but, he just looked like a prick at that moment. There are ways to handle things and still be polite.

Still glad he is our quarterback

stlrz d
06-23-2009, 11:24 PM

I was told he isn't well liked by many of his teammates. I guess Ben picks the people on the team that he will allow to be apart of his private super star life.

I noticed after their first Super Bowl win with Ben and after the game he and Jerrome were huddled together with Ben speaking to Jerrome. Sports reporters came up to interview and Ben nudged them away. He did it in a way as if they were nothing to him or of any value. I realize it was Ben and Jerromes moment, the reporters do get in their faces but, he just looked like a prick at that moment. There are ways to handle things and still be polite.

Then you shouldn't be complaining about it.

Crash
06-24-2009, 12:25 AM

You are talking about after the SB in the locker room. Ben wanted to take a picture of the two of them and a reporter put a mic in their face. All he did was push the mic down so it wouldn't be in the pic he was trying to take.

What a menace.

fezziwig
06-24-2009, 08:02 AM
I missed those two trying to get a photo together, did see them on the sideleine after the game together.

Not complaining, just an observation.

snarky
06-24-2009, 08:23 AM
OT But my sister knew both Vinnie and Bernie at the U. She knew Vinnie pretty well and said he was a pretty good guy. On the other hand, she had no kind words about Bernie.

Ghost
06-24-2009, 09:48 AM

Not to say Ben wasn't nice to her because I'm sure he was. People put on different faces attitudes depending upon whom they are with. I doubt Ben acts the same way around his friends mother in law compared to his buddies, family, general public.

I agree that he probably acts differently hanging with the boys but she was talking about seeing him interact with the public and how nice he was and could not stop raving about what a pleasant, down to earth guy she thought Ben was and this is from a devout Raven's fan.

I think a lot of these stories, we just don't know all of it, and none of us know what it's like to not even be able to go to the grocery store without getting mobbed.

Has he skipped giving an autograph - I'm sure of it. But there are just as many if not more stories of him being cool and doing good things - but those don't make the press nearly as much.

Mister Pittsburgh
07-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Anyone want to weigh in on this one again? I have once again heard nothing good about him (outside of your responses) but have heard more negative things. Anything from him not allowing chicks in his hot tub unless they go topless to him not paying a 7,000 dollar bill he still owes a company (not going to name) but never paid.

I think with this new allegation, his lifestyle caught up to him and bit him in his butt. I doubt he did what that chick said, but you wouldn't think she would make this up if he at least didn't have sex with her.....and she is freaking beat!

Jooser
07-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Anyone want to weigh in on this one again? I have once again heard nothing good about him (outside of your responses) but have heard more negative things. Anything from him not allowing chicks in his hot tub unless they go topless to him not paying a 7,000 dollar bill he still owes a company (not going to name) but never paid.

I think with this new allegation, his lifestyle caught up to him and bit him in his butt. I doubt he did what that chick said, but you wouldn't think she would make this up if he at least didn't have sex with her.....and she is freaking beat!

Anyone want to weigh in on this one? :roll: