PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Know How to Pick 'Em

fordfixer
05-31-2009, 11:21 PM
Steelers Know How to Pick 'Em, But Only in Round One

Posted May 31, 2009 8:32PM By JJ Cooper

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/31/stee ... round-one/ (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/31/steelers-know-how-to-pick-em-but-only-in-round-one/)

The early reports on the Steelers' 2009 draft picks is very favorable. Mike Wallace has shown speed. Frank Summers is just as big as everyone expected and Ziggy Hood has shown an outstanding motor.

Of course, there's yet to be a draft pick who's publicly been called out for disappointing at offseason workouts, so as always, we won't know very much until they put the pads on for real in two months. But if history is any kind of guide, expect Hood, the Steelers' first-round pick, to do quite well, while several of the later-round picks will fail miserably.

That's what Steelers.lifer found in a recent analysis of how the Steelers draft compared to other teams. In comparing the Steelers to the rest of the AFC North as well as the Patriots, Colts and Chargers, he found that Pittsburgh is awful at succeeding with its mid-round picks and even worse at picking in the sixth and seventh rounds.

The bust trend in mid-rounds in the Kevin Colbert era is disturbing, probably among the worst in the NFL. It's a trend that also applies to late-round picks. Of their 13 picks in the sixth and seventh rounds from 2002-06, only two played in the league last year but they were both starters on a SB-winning team: Brett Kiesel and Chris Kemoeatu.

It's like baseball. Do you prefer a team with a consistent high batting average, or a team that hits home runs and strikes out a lot? When the home runs contribute to championships, it's more than acceptable... but you can understand when some people get frustrated about the high number of strikeouts.

But Steeler.Lifer also makes the point that the Steelers record on first-round picks is exceptional. Not counting Lawrence Timmons (projected to start this year) and Rashard Mendenhall (projected to split time this year) you have to go back to 1999 (Troy Edwards) to find a Steelers' first-round pick who failed to turn into a long-term starter. When you consider that Pittsburgh is usually drafting late in the first round, that's an enviable record.

So it comes down to which would you rather have? Would you take the Steelers' sure-fire success in the first round or would you rather see them show more success in later rounds. As for me, I'll stick with the approach that has given Pittsburgh two Super Bowls in four years.

Captain Lemming
06-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Think about it.

We have two rings and are perhaps the least active team in the league in pursuing free agents from other teams (we do an amazing job with undrafted free agents). We consistently draft low.

The truth is, we look at our team with greater scrutiny.

We have no idea who the Bears drafted in Round 5 of the 2007 draft.

Every body misses plenty.

We have two rings during the Colbert era with a greater percentage of players who have played for one team than just about anybody.
A case can be made based on our rare home grown success, that we are among the very best drafting teams in the league.

stlrz d
06-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Someone needs to tell the nimrod who wrote that "article" that the Steelers are solid from top to bottom and not many rooks make the team...so they take more chances later in the draft.

Someone posted an article not long ago where Colbert himself said it is hard for players to make this team...because it is a good team.

The joker who wrote that piece is no different, imo, from someone who looks at only stats as a measuring stick of player ability.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-01-2009, 01:43 AM
Did it occur to the author of the article that BECAUSE the Steelers so seldom miss on early-round picks, it might make it more difficult for mid and later-round picks to make the team?

Captain Lemming
06-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Add to the list of current Steelers Pro Bowl caliber Steeler draftees who are no longer Steelers.

Plax (Yeah I know he's not playing, nevertheless.. . .)
Faneca
J Porter
C Hope

Oviedo
06-01-2009, 07:45 AM
This is just another "let's take a shot at the Steelers" article because people will read it if I do.

As accurately pointed out it is hard for a rookie to make a team that does not have constant turnover and churn in the roster. Therefore logic would tell anyone who wants to be logical that mid to late round picks have both a slimmer chance of making the roster and if they do staying on it.

The article also fails to poiint out that the Steelers are very successful getting Undrafted Free Agents who make the roster and become contributors in the NFL. That I think speaks higher praise to the front office and scouting staff than the criticism of late round picks who don't make it.

TallyStiller
06-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Might be worthwhile to see how many of our cuts eventually land elsewhere to help judge... I remember a buddy of mine referring to Tom Coughlin's Jags as the "Island of Misfit Steelers" because of their propensity for going through our trash bin and plucking guys out for their roster in early September.