PDA

View Full Version : Starks in no hurry for new deal

fordfixer
05-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Steelers notes: Starks in no hurry for new deal

Starks in no hurry for new deal

By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:06 AM EDT
The Steelers want Max Starks to sign a long-term deal. But the mammoth left tackle doesn’t appear to be in any hurry.

The Steelers can get much-needed room under a tight salary cap if Starks forgoes his “franchise” player contract and agrees to a long-term deal.

On one hand, Starks wouldn’t mind securing a multi-year deal. Then again, if the numbers aren’t right, he’s in no hurry to give up the $8.45 million he’ll make this year. “Franchise” players earn the average of the top five salaries at their position.

“I haven’t heard anything from my agent, so I don’t know what they’re doing,” Starks said when asked about the negotiations. “I’m sure they’ll let me know once something is happening.”

Starks is one of several starters in the last year of his existing contract. Traditionally, the Rooney family doesn’t engage in contract talks once a season starts, so if Starks is to get a new deal, it must happen between now and Sept. 10.

“It depends on the circumstances,” Starks said when asked if he prefers a new deal or his current one. “If it’s just a two year-extension, of course, I’d want something longer to kind of cement myself.”

Last year he earned $6.895 million when the Steelers tagged him as a “transition” player. “Transition” players are paid the average of the top 10 salaries at their position.

“I’m blessed to be in this position,” said the 27-year-old Starks.

HOW ABOUT HEATH?

If Starks is the Steelers’ No. 1 priority right now when it comes to contract extensions, then tight end Heath Miller is No. 2.

Miller is under contract to make $800,000 in base salary this year. Really, he’s underpaid for what he means to the team as a blocker and clutch pass catcher.

“I’m not really worried about something I have no control over,” Miller said. “That’s why I have an agent.

“The reason I’m here right now (at organized team activities) is to get better. That’s all I’m worried about right now.”

Miller was asked, “If you were a betting man, what are the odds you’ll have an extension before the start of the season?”

“I can’t answer that,” he said. “I’m not a betting man.”

X’s AND O’s

- For the sixth of 14 allowed OTAs, several players did not attend Tuesday’s workout. Among them were three starters: nose tackle Casey Hampton, defensive end Brett Keisel and wide receiver Santonio Holmes. Also missing were backup cornerback Deshea Townsend and backup safety Tyrone Carter.

- Because of rain, the Steelers practiced indoors.

- For no specific reason, the Steelers wore yellow-gold helmets instead of their customary black ones.

The yellow-gold helmets are worn when the Steelers wear their “throwback” uniforms.

“I don’t know why we wore the gold helmets today,” long snapper Greg Warren said. “All I know is that when I walked into the locker room today, our gold helmets were hanging on the hooks.”

- Linebacker James Harrison, whose 2-year-old son was bitten by his pit bull last week, didn’t speak to the media who attended Tuesday’s OTA.

Harrison’s son has been in UPMC Children’s Hospital recovering from a severe bite to the thigh. He’s expected to be released from the hospital any day now.

BATMAN
05-31-2009, 10:44 PM
From 1 to 10 where would your rate Starks as a tackle ?

Herewegosteelers!
06-01-2009, 07:16 AM
From 1 to 10 where would your rate Starks as a tackle ?

About a 6..............I think Heath Miller is a 9 so he hopefully is extended before this season...

papillon
06-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Unfortunately, Max Starks has the upper hand at the moment he signed the franchise tender for one year. If he doesn't want get a long term deal done the Steelers are stuck paying his 8.45 million contract for one year and probably won't be able to get into serious discussions with Heath Miller. It doesn't sound like Starks is in any hurry to get along term deal done. He's taking a risk on getting injured, but, that's the game you play to try and become really wealthy in the NFL.

It appears that the only way a long term deal with Miller will get done is if some veteran salary were eradicated to free up some space (And, I'm not sure that this is even a viable option due to dead money if you cut a vet.). I don't see Starks helping with the situation by signing a reasonable long term deal for his services.

Pappy

SteelerNation1
06-01-2009, 10:12 AM
I think Miller would have been extended by now but we have to wait to see what happens with the new CBA

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-01-2009, 04:35 PM
It seems that Starks' main concern is that if he signs he wants it to be long term. His comment was:
“It depends on the circumstances,” Starks said when asked if he prefers a new deal or his current one. “If it’s just a two year-extension, of course, I’d want something longer to kind of cement myself.”

If we want him signed then that comment makes it sound reasonably possible. I've been saying for awhile.....4 years @ around $28M. A big SB - like around $12M (almost half of his contract which is a lot) to compensate him for the franchise tag and I think we have a deal.

Oviedo
06-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Unfortunately, Max Starks has the upper hand at the moment he signed the franchise tender for one year. If he doesn't want get a long term deal done the Steelers are stuck paying his 8.45 million contract for one year and probably won't be able to get into serious discussions with Heath Miller. It doesn't sound like Starks is in any hurry to get along term deal done. He's taking a risk on getting injured, but, that's the game you play to try and become really wealthy in the NFL.

It appears that the only way a long term deal with Miller will get done is if some veteran salary were eradicated to free up some space (And, I'm not sure that this is even a viable option due to dead money if you cut a vet.). I don't see Starks helping with the situation by signing a reasonable long term deal for his services.

Pappy

Marvel Smith probably thought he had the upper hand at one time too. You play the game and pay the price. If it's me I take long term security over a one time big bang. Right now he has $8.45M guaranteed. If you had that and someone was wiilling to guarantee $13M if you extended it would be a no brainer on my part to take the extra $5M. Get hurt and you get nothing near that.

True Fan
06-01-2009, 05:00 PM

Pappy

Marvel Smith probably thought he had the upper hand at one time too. You play the game and pay the price. If it's me I take long term security over a one time big bang. Right now he has $8.45M guaranteed. If you had that and someone was wiilling to guarantee $13M if you extended it would be a no brainer on my part to take the extra $5M. Get hurt and you get nothing near that.

what's an extra 5 million when you already stole 15 million the last two seasons? starks knows that the steelers have screwed themselves by not handling the OT position correctly in the past. why would he take the extra 5 million now when he can assume the steeler will overpay him again next by franchising him or another team will step up and give him an even larger siging bonus and a long term deal?

RuthlessBurgher
06-01-2009, 08:42 PM

Pappy

what's an extra 5 million when you already stole 15 million the last two seasons? starks knows that the steelers have screwed themselves by not handling the OT position correctly in the past. why would he take the extra 5 million now when he can assume the steeler will overpay him again next by franchising him or another team will step up and give him an even larger siging bonus and a long term deal?

I hated using the transition tag on Starks last year. Thought it was a horrible idea at the time. But it turned out to be a shrewd move. When Marvel went down, would we have been able to win a Super Bowl with Trai Essex or a rookie Tony Hills starting at left tackle? I don't think so. So I no longer consider it to be money Starks stole from the team.

BURGH86STEEL
06-02-2009, 06:38 AM

Pappy

I hated using the transition tag on Starks last year. Thought it was a horrible idea at the time. But it turned out to be a shrewd move. When Marvel went down, would we have been able to win a Super Bowl with Trai Essex or a rookie Tony Hills starting at left tackle? I don't think so. So I no longer consider it to be money Starks stole from the team.

Starks did not steal anything. There were reasons why the Steelers gave him the money.
Cannot steal what was given.

Flasteel
06-02-2009, 07:08 AM

I think it's pretty safe to say that Starks won't be tagged again by this ball club and he's not about to get a huge signing bonus/ contract elsewhere unless he absolutely dominates this year.

Why are you so bitter over Starks? Did the Rooneys dip into your savings account to help pay his salary?

True Fan
06-02-2009, 10:38 AM

I think it's pretty safe to say that Starks won't be tagged again by this ball club and he's not about to get a huge signing bonus/ contract elsewhere unless he absolutely dominates this year.

Why are you so bitter over Starks? Did the Rooneys dip into your savings account to help pay his salary?

dont complain about not extending certain players going into their final year because we're 'cap strapped' then

fezziwig
06-02-2009, 11:02 AM
With Foster being let go by the Lions, what chance of getting him at a price that would also allow us to the security of signing Miller too, for long term ?

ikestops85
06-02-2009, 11:05 AM
With Foster being let go by the Lions, what chance of getting him at a price that would also allow us to the security of signing Miller too, for long term ?

Since he was a lion the chances are very good we will make a run at him :D

LasVegasGuy
06-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Why would he be in a hurry? He knows he isn't worth 8.5 million dollars to anyone. This is 2 years in a row we have made a mistake with this guy.

I say we will remove the tag very shortly and cut him during mini camp. Someone better then him is going to be a casualty cut from another team that we can pick up to easily replace him. Bye-Bye Starks it's been nice knowing you.

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Why would he be in a hurry? He knows he isn't worth 8.5 million dollars to anyone. This is 2 years in a row we have made a mistake with this guy.

I say we will remove the tag very shortly and cut him during mini camp. Someone better then him is going to be a casualty cut from another team that we can pick up to easily replace him. Bye-Bye Starks it's been nice knowing you.

You can't remove the tag once he signs it.

Updated: February 21, 2009, 4:25 PM ET
T Starks signs Steelers' franchise deal
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Though he was surprised to be tagged as the Pittsburgh Steelers' franchise player, tackle Max Starks wasted little time accepting his fate.

Starks signed a one-year, $8.45 million deal Saturday, locking him in for another season with the team.

As a franchise player, Starks could have explored other opportunities. Any interested team would have had to offer two first-round picks or work out a trade with the Steelers.

By signing the franchise tender, Starks' entire salary is guaranteed for 2009.

Starks was transitioned by the Steelers from a reserve role last year but didn't open the season as a starter.

Back problems limited the playing time of starting left tackle Marvel Smith, which opened the door for Starks to start and eventually be the starting left tackle through the Super Bowl.

Starks is the third of the 14 franchise players to sign their tenders. Michael Koenen, a punter, signed his tender with the Falcons. Quarterback Matt Cassel did the same with the Patriots.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

ikestops85
06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Unfortunately Max has contracted the 'Swollen Head Disease' and it was our fault. Because of the paydays he has received the last 2 years he believes he is an elite tackle in this league and I'm sure he is waiting to be compensated as an elite tackle for the long term. However, the rest of the league knows he is about average (notice the lack of offers he received last year) and will not pay him that much. He will not sign a long term deal (unless we offer to grossly overpay him) and will head out into the market place looking to get that big long term deal. He won't get it but his pride will prevent him from re-signing with the Steelers and he will end up with a so-so deal to play for the Raiders or Lions. 8)

Of course I could be wrong

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2009, 12:31 PM

By the way, here is the current list of available offensive tackles. Which of the old, injured, or sucky guys listed below would you prefer to protect Ben's blind side as this team attempts to defend its Super Bowl title? You plan to wait for a casualty cut from another team? Since when do teams cut young, healthy, talented tackles? I would expect any tackles that are cut between now and the start of the season to be similarly old, injured, or sucky.

Mark Tauscher, Packers. Age: 32.
Levi Jones, Bengals. Age: 30.
Jon Runyan, Eagles. Age: 35.
Jonas Jennings, 49ers. Age: 31.
Damane Duckett, Patriots. Age: 28.
George Foster, Lions. Age: 29.
Ephraim Salaam, Texans. Age: 33.
Kwame Harris, Raiders. Age: 27.
Chad Slaughter, Ravens. Age: 31.
Anthony Davis, Rams. Age: 29.
Charles Spencer, Jaguars. Age: 27.
Fred Miller, Bears. Age: 36.
Wayne Gandy, Falcons. Age: 38.
Barry Stokes, Patriots. Age: 35.
Jason Fabini, Redskins. Age: 35.
Shane Olivea, Giants. Age: 27.
Junius Coston, Lions. Age: 25.
Jon Dunn, Lions. Age: 27.
Luke Petitgout, Buccaneers. Age: 33.
Rob Petitti, Rams. Age: 27.

fezziwig
06-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Boy oh boy, I didn't even think some of those guys would have still been in the league.

True Fan
06-02-2009, 02:20 PM

By the way, here is the current list of available offensive tackles. Which of the old, injured, or sucky guys listed below would you prefer to protect Ben's blind side as this team attempts to defend its Super Bowl title? You plan to wait for a casualty cut from another team? Since when do teams cut young, healthy, talented tackles? I would expect any tackles that are cut between now and the start of the season to be similarly old, injured, or sucky.

not that we have a choice now, but i would take a few of these guys at the vet minimum for one year. this would allow us to sign a number of our own guys.

frankthetank1
06-02-2009, 03:11 PM

not that we have a choice now, but i would take a few of these guys at the vet minimum for one year. this would allow us to sign a number of our own guys.

like who? you would take a few of those guys over starks? that would get ben killed really fast. im no fan of max starks but that is one ugly a$$ list. remember one of those broken down losers would be responsible for protecting bens blind side.

LasVegasGuy
06-02-2009, 04:19 PM

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Though he was surprised to be tagged as the Pittsburgh Steelers' franchise player, tackle Max Starks wasted little time accepting his fate.

Starks signed a one-year, $8.45 million deal Saturday, locking him in for another season with the team.

As a franchise player, Starks could have explored other opportunities. Any interested team would have had to offer two first-round picks or work out a trade with the Steelers.

Starks was transitioned by the Steelers from a reserve role last year but didn't open the season as a starter.

Back problems limited the playing time of starting left tackle Marvel Smith, which opened the door for Starks to start and eventually be the starting left tackle through the Super Bowl.

Starks is the third of the 14 franchise players to sign their tenders. Michael Koenen, a punter, signed his tender with the Falcons. Quarterback Matt Cassel did the same with the Patriots.

Dang, I missed that. I guess we can't cut him now otherwise we are on the hook for 8.5 mill. He will be good as gone next year.

LasVegasGuy
06-02-2009, 04:25 PM

Do you have another list of guys already signed by other teams making less then 8.5 million a year that we could have signed if we weren't locked into this P.O.S.?

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2009, 04:27 PM

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Dang, I missed that. I guess we can't cut him now otherwise we are on the hook for 8.5 mill. He will be good as gone next year.

If it comes down to a decision of whether or not to franchise him again (which would require a 20% raise), I would agree with you, because I don't think they will use more than $10 mil worth of cap space to keep him, but I think they will do all that they can to work out a long-term deal with him before then. I think it will be Heath that gets franchised next year if we are not able to extend him before then (the franchise number for TE's this year is about half what it was for tackles).

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2009, 04:33 PM

Do you have another list of guys already signed by other teams making less then 8.5 million a year that we could have signed if we weren't locked into this P.O.S.?

The quality veterans that weren't old or injured (like Jordan Gross and Vernon Carey) were resigned by their teams just before the start of free agency, so we did not have a shot even if we were willing to spend big money on them. Some of the promising youngsters (like Tyson Clabo and Donald Penn) were restricted free agents that would have required draft compensation if we signed them to an offer sheet and their original team chose not to match the offer.

Here are the tackles who were signed during this off-season:

Jordan Gross, Panthers. Age: 29. Re-signed with Panthers (6 years, $60 million; $35 million guaranteed)
Tyson Clabo (RFA), Falcons. Age: 27. Tendered by Falcons (2nd round)
Orlando Pace, Rams. Age: 33. Signed with Bears
Vernon Carey, Dolphins. Age: 28. Re-signed with Dolphins (6 years, $42 million)
William Tra Thomas, Eagles. Age: 34. Signed with Jaguars (3 years)
Ray Willis, Seahawks. Age: 27. Re-signed with Seahawks (2 years)
Donald Penn (RFA), Buccaneers. Age: 26. Re-signed with Buccaneers (1 year)
Khalif Barnes, Jaguars. Age: 27. Signed with Raiders (1 year)
Max Starks, Steelers. Age: 27. Franchised by Steelers
Willie Colon (RFA), Steelers. Age: 26. Re-signed with Steelers (1 year)
Jon Stinchcomb, Saints. Age: 30. Re-signed with Saints (5 years)
Daniel Loper, Titans. Age: 27. Signed with Lions
Marvel Smith, Steelers. Age: 31. Signed with 49ers (2 years, $10.5 million)
Kevin Shaffer, Browns. Age: 29. Signed with Bears
Stacy Andrews, Bengals. Age: 28. Signed with Eagles
Zach Strief (RFA), Saints. Age: 25. Re-signed with Saints (1 year, $1.545 million)
John St. Clair, Bears. Age: 32. Signed with Browns (3 years, $9 million)
Frank Omiyale, Panthers. Age: 26. - Signed with Bears (4 years, $14 million)
Wesley Britt (RFA), Patriots. Age: 27. - Re-signed with Patriots
Jon Jansen, Redskins. Age: 33. - Signed with Lions
Kirk Chambers, Bills. Age: 30. - Re-signed with Bills
Erik Pears (RFA), Broncos. Age: 27. - Signed with Raiders
Marcus Johnson, Vikings. Age: 27. - Signed with Raiders
Brandon Gorin, Rams. Age: 31. - Signed with Broncos
Rashad Butler (RFA), Texans. Age: 26. - Re-signed with Texans (1 year, $1.01 million)
Adam Goldberg, Rams. Age: 29. - Re-signed with Rams
Mike Williams, None. Age: 29. - Signed with Redskins
Kirk Barton, Bengals. Age: 24. - Signed with Lions

Flasteel
06-02-2009, 04:59 PM

Just how is Starks a POS? I swear some of you are down right ridiculous with your comments where he is concerned. Why don't you dial up the list of Left Tackles in this league who gave up 4 or fewer sacks last season (granted Starks did that in 13 games plus the playoffs). It will be a short list my friend.

Is he over-paid? Hell yeah he's over-paid, but what price tag do you put on the outcome of last season? Is it your money? Did we lose out on some fantastic FA tackle (or any other position) as a result of locking him up for the year?

(The answer to both of those questions is "no" by the way)

Like it or not Starks is rounding into one of the better LTs in the league. He may not ever make all-pro or even a pro bowl, but if he continues to improve the way he's shown since moving over to the left side, I'll take him over any of the rejects off the trash heap any day.

steelz09
06-02-2009, 05:15 PM
What's unfortunate is not only are the Steelers overpaying him, but he's going to take the money and run. If this is a sign of things to come then I don't see Starks being a Steeler next year. He thinks he's worth more than what he really is, his productivity would say otherwise.

Whats VERY unfortunate is that I don't see him being a 'team player' regarding this situation. The Steelers could suffer serious consequences to the future of their franchise because of this. We have 8 (or 9?) UFA next year. Once the season starts, the Steelers typically do not negotiate contracts. That means that because Starks' situation, we will have ALL our UFA's hit the open market next year and we could easily lose all of them including Casey Hampton, Willie Colon, Heath Miller, Ryan Clark, Max Starks, etc

So, this situation isn't effecting JUST Starks, it's effecting the Steelers ability to sign any of our players that the organization considers a priority.

Flasteel
06-02-2009, 06:25 PM
What's unfortunate is not only are the Steelers overpaying him, but he's going to take the money and run. If this is a sign of things to come then I don't see Starks being a Steeler next year. He thinks he's worth more than what he really is, his productivity would say otherwise.

Whats VERY unfortunate is that I don't see him being a 'team player' regarding this situation. The Steelers could suffer serious consequences to the future of their franchise because of this. We have 8 (or 9?) UFA next year. Once the season starts, the Steelers typically do not negotiate contracts. That means that because Starks' situation, we will have ALL our UFA's hit the open market next year and we could easily lose all of them including Casey Hampton, Willie Colon, Heath Miller, Ryan Clark, Max Starks, etc

So, this situation isn't effecting JUST Starks, it's effecting the Steelers ability to sign any of our players that the organization considers a priority.

His productivity is just fine but I couldn't agree more with the rest of your comments J. This has everything to do with Starks being that team guy who is willing to negotiate a long-term deal that is fair to both sides. He needs to be cognizant of what he was paid last year more-so than what he stands to be paid as a franchise player this year. If he fails to step up well in advance of the season, then I don't care what he does on the field next year...buh-bye.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-03-2009, 09:57 AM
what's an extra 5 million when you already stole 15 million the last two seasons?

He thinks he's worth more than what he really is, his productivity would say otherwise.

we could have signed if we weren't locked into this P.O.S.?

Max has contracted the 'Swollen Head Disease'

Man, there sure are some ridiculous, unfounded comments on here. Here is what we know about the whole Starks situation.

- He lost his job in '07 and never made a fuss.
- He was given the transition tag in '08, and there was never any mention of him being upset over it or his side not being willing to negotiate a long term deal. Many players in the NFL get angry and holdout over being tagged.
- He was franchised this year, and again no talk about the team trying to approach him about a long term deal and him declining.
- Finally the two sides seem to be talking about opening a dialogue.
- Starks' only comment is that if he is going to sign an extension, he would like to sign a long term deal (4-5 years) rather than just a one or two year extension. Nothing unreasonable there.

Come on guys, let's have a little perspective here. We overpaid him last year, that is for sure. However, we should be thankful that we did, because teams rarely lose starting LTs during the season and go on to win the SB. While he may not have performed at an all pro level, he did a decent job there, and was easily our best lineman and playing the most important position on the line.

From the time he originally lost his job - after not being given a chance to compete for it in camp that year - he never complained, he was always one of the first off the bench to congratulate the guys coming off the field, he was always smiling on the sidelines and hanging with his linemates. He got called to duty in '07 and played well until he was hurt. He got called to duty in '08 and did a very good job on an otherwise shaky line. Never mailed it in a la Faneca, never a public "I told you so" to the coaches.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - 4 years, $28M with $12M SB and everyone should be happy. Cap hits of $5.5M, $6.5M, $7.5M, $8.5M. We might have to go an extra year due to the Carey deal, which is for 6 years and he is one year older.

Flasteel
06-03-2009, 10:22 AM
[quote]what's an extra 5 million when you already stole 15 million the last two seasons?

He thinks he's worth more than what he really is, his productivity would say otherwise.

Man, there sure are some ridiculous, unfounded comments on here. Here is what we know about the whole Starks situation.

- He was given the transition tag in '08, and there was never any mention of him being upset over it or his side not being willing to negotiate a long term deal. Many players in the NFL get angry and holdout over being tagged.
- He was franchised this year, and again no talk about the team trying to approach him about a long term deal and him declining.
- Starks' only comment is that if he is going to sign an extension, he would like to sign a long term deal (4-5 years) rather than just a one or two year extension. Nothing unreasonable there.

Come on guys, let's have a little perspective here. We overpaid him last year, that is for sure. However, we should be thankful that we did, because teams rarely lose starting LTs during the season and go on to win the SB. While he may not have performed at an all pro level, he did a decent job there, and was easily our best lineman and playing the most important position on the line.

From the time he originally lost his job - after not being given a chance to compete for it in camp that year - he never complained, he was always one of the first off the bench to congratulate the guys coming off the field, he was always smiling on the sidelines and hanging with his linemates. He got called to duty in '07 and played well until he was hurt. He got called to duty in '08 and did a very good job on an otherwise shaky line. Never mailed it in a la Faneca, never a public "I told you so" to the coaches.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - 4 years, $28M with $12M SB and everyone should be happy. Cap hits of $5.5M, $6.5M, $7.5M, $8.5M. We might have to go an extra year due to the Carey deal, which is for 6 years and he is one year older.[/quote:kfewtzxl]

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :tt2

BURGH86STEEL
06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
[quote]what's an extra 5 million when you already stole 15 million the last two seasons?

I've said it before and I'll say it again - 4 years, $28M with $12M SB and everyone should be happy. Cap hits of $5.5M, $6.5M, $7.5M, $8.5M. We might have to go an extra year due to the Carey deal, which is for 6 years and he is one year older.[/quote:ffygg4tj]

Good points.