PDA

View Full Version : Now that we have six, it is time to share this.

snarky
05-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Some of you might remember that on the old board during the 2006 season I put together a website that showed all the scenarios for the last two games that would put the Steelers in the playoffs.

One thing that happened at that time is I got a lot of mail from around the country including other fanbases. I received one in particular from a cowboys fan. He was actually a really nice guy and we traded a few mails. But his first one to me is one that I have kept and now that we have six SB rings, it is time to share this. I hope you enjoy it.

Hi There,

Let me start off by complimenting you on your great website regarding the Steelers' chances of making the playoffs this year. I have done roughly the same type of work the past 4-6 weeks, but not on your scale. You have gone to greater lengths than me in figuring out how the Steelers make/don't make the playoffs.

In regards to full disclosure, let me state that I am not a Steelers fan. Dallas is my team, and has been for 30+ years. I have been doing the type of work above simply to try figure out how to keep the Steelers OUT of the playoffs ! Even when they were 4-7, I knew they had some chance of making the playoffs in the AFC as long as they didn't lose any more regular season games. But come on, like last year, when the Steelers needed to win some games to gain momentum, the NFL hands them great " patsy " games to pad their record. This year it is Tampa, Cleveland, and Carolina, all playing without their number one QB's.

I know that is no excuse, and you play who you play, but I can't really believe how incredibly lucky the Steelers have been in terms of their opponents in the final third of their season this year and last ! And please, don't take this as insulting to you and other Steeler fans. Like you guys, we have 5 rings too, and we have too much history between us to hate each other. The simple truth is this: I would have had no problem with Pittsburgh winning the SB last year if it was anything other than win # 5. But because you have the same amount as us, it pains me that you can possibly have # 6 within your reach. And that my friend is why I am not a Steelers fan.

I have been waiting, especially the past two weeks for things to fall in place, but various results have caused the Steelers' demise to be postponed. Like you, I assumed the Steelers would win out when they were 4-7. So what I did was formulate different scenarios where they would be nudged out of the playoffs by other teams in the AFC. I think the Steelers win this weekend against the Ravens, but it is going to be tougher than if the Ravens didn't need this game. If second seed wasn't available, I could have seen Baltimore resting a lot of their guys and basically giving the game away. Now that they have something to play for, it should be a great game.

In the spirit of Christmas, I hope you and your team well, but as a football fan, I hope not. Either way, if the Steelers get in, my biggest fear would be that all of these so-called prognosticators and " experts " , who counted the Steelers out as recently as last weekend, would crown them as the team nobody would want to face in the playoffs. And you know what would happen next ? The rush the team would get by barely making it in the playoffs, especially after losing to the Raiders ( THE RAIDERS !!), would only add to their confidence level. So much so, that I can see them winning in San Diego, Baltimore, Indianapolis.......my wish would be to see them play the Patriots at some point, as they seem to struggle against them. I really believe if Pittsburgh had had to play in NE last year, they would have lost somehow.

So, Merry Christmas to you and yours, and lets play ball !

Tony

costanza2k1
05-31-2009, 11:12 PM
Nice. It's amazes to see fans (with teams out of contention) root for others to lose. I guess I'm the same way with the Cheatriots. Thanks for sharing. I live in 49er land and can't tell you how many times people come and tell me they were rooting against us not to get #6, my response to them is the same every time. "you won't have to worry about 6 for long as we're going to get #7 this year" It's great to be cocky, thanks to the Steelers for allowing me to be this way.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Nice. It's amazes to see fans (with teams out of contention) root for others to lose. I guess I'm the same way with the Cheatriots. Thanks for sharing. I live in 49er land and can't tell you how many times people come and tell me they were rooting against us not to get #6, my response to them is the same every time. "you won't have to worry about 6 for long as we're going to get #7 this year" It's great to be cocky, thanks to the Steelers for allowing me to be this way.

In that same vein - this past year, probably February or March I was at a Leafs game and walking to the concession stands between periods. As I"m walking wearing my leather Steelers jacket, I hear a guy shouting behind me something like "boo, Steelers". I see this guy in a Cowboys jacket sitting with his buddies eating. As I turn to look at him, without breaking stride I held up six fingers and smiled at him. His proud smile left his face and his friends started laughing at him as I walked away. I looked for them again as we headed back to our seats, but they weren't there anymore. :lol: :lol: