PDA

View Full Version : Wexell| Top pick gets good reviews

fordfixer
05-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Wexell| Top pick gets good reviews
By JIM WEXELL
For The Tribune-Democrat

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/sports/ ... 01840.html (http://www.tribune-democrat.com/sports/local_story_151001840.html)

Charlie Casserly’s last

No. 1 draft pick as an NFL general manager was defensive end Mario Williams, a surprise choice over everyone else’s favorite No. 1, Reggie Bush.

Casserly was fired after the season, but his pick of Williams has proven to be the right one. Now a draft expert for NFL Network, Casserly attended Steelers practice on Thursday. Did he like anyone in particular?

“I like Ziggy Hood,” said the 28-year NFL personnel veteran. “I like his quickness, his movements, his body type

– stuff you can see better here in person than on tape.”

Everyone seems to like the Steelers’ first-round draft pick, and with good reason. On this day, the 300-pound Hood showed off his athleticism by running from sideline to sideline in pursuit of plays. When the defensive end got there in time, coach Mike Tomlin let everyone know it with a “That’s it Ziggy!”

“He’s looking good,” said Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton. “From what I’ve seen he does a special job using his hands. Most guys who come in from college are used to being quicker than everybody, and used to running through gaps or ripping through guys. I don’t know if it’s been (line coach John Mitchell) Mitch getting on him, or if he’s been coached like that, but he can use his hands and keep guys off of him.”

Hood was drafted to bolster a defensive line that’s first five players will average 32.8 years of age this season. It’s a veteran unit that’s still playing at a high level, and one that’s probably grown tired of hearing about its age. So Hood figured he’d get the cold shoulder from the group this spring.

“I expected them to say, ‘OK, rookie’s coming in to get my job and I can’t talk to him, can’t give him tricks of the trade,’” said Hood. “But right now, they’re showing me – not everything because there’s probably a lot more to learn

– but right now they’re showing me everything I need to help my game at this point.”

The development of proper hand usage is already a good sign. Hood said the biggest challenge right now is his playbook.

“The more confidence I have in my plays, the better my performance will be,” he said, adding: “It’s a lot more physical up front as opposed to going against a spread offense. These offensive linemen move like running backs on the line of scrimmage, so I’m trying to develop more speed off the ball.”

Any offensive lineman in particular?

“Is the right tackle No. 74?” Hood asked about Willie Colon. “He was an eye opener for me, something I had to go in the film room and watch. It was rough out there. The first practice was going fine until he came along, and that really opened me up because he came right at me like a raging bull. There was nothing I could do about it.”

He’ll learn. Hood was a 4-3 defensive tackle for Missouri in the wide-open Big 12 Conference, and will initially step into the same role with the Steelers on passing downs. The rookie said that he doesn’t want to be rushed, and Casserly said the Steelers’ organizational patience will benefit Hood greatly. However, Hampton doesn’t see Hood wearing a redshirt all season.

“He’s a first-round pick, so I don’t think he has too much of a choice,” Hampton said. “The starters are there but I think he should be able to help.”

So, Hampton’s optimistic, but with caution.

“You know, everybody looks good without the pads on,” he said. “If we put the pads on and he still looks good, I think he’s definitely going to help us.”

Jim Wexell is a free-lance writer who covers the Steelers for The Tribune-Democrat.

ANPSTEEL
05-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Football in shorts...

positive news is always good to hear- and I am excited about the athleticism ziggy brings to the dLine-

but the biggest eye opener in that article was

“Is the right tackle No. 74?” Hood asked about Willie Colon. “He was an eye opener for me, something I had to go in the film room and watch. It was rough out there. The first practice was going fine until he came along, and that really opened me up because he came right at me like a raging bull. There was nothing I could do about it.”

:wft

willie colon? really??

i'm going to try to not be a hater here- and say-

how flippin' awesome would it be, if the oLine actually played well this year??? and #74 wasn't getting schooled every other passing down???

woo frikin hoooooo!!!

MaxAMillion
05-31-2009, 01:39 PM
I have gone back and watched some of the Steeler games and I am left think that Colon is a battler. He really gives good effort and holds his own when he is not making stupid penalties. Those mental breakdowns happen every game. He could be a solid player if those breakdowns were cleared up. I think Kemo is worse than Colon. Kemo struggles in pass protection and he has his own set of mental breakdowns.

I hold out more hope for colon than I do Kemo (I realize that doesn't mean much).

steelernation77
05-31-2009, 09:51 PM
Willie Colon isn't the best protecting the edge but he does have a nastiness to him.

Oviedo
05-31-2009, 10:33 PM
How could Hood possibly be any good given that he is a "plain as grits" Tomlin player?

MeetJoeGreene
05-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Football in shorts...

positive news is always good to hear- and I am excited about the athleticism ziggy brings to the dLine-

but the biggest eye opener in that article was

:wft

willie colon? really??

i'm going to try to not be a hater here- and say-

how flippin' awesome would it be, if the oLine actually played well this year??? and #74 wasn't getting schooled every other passing down???

woo frikin hoooooo!!!

MY first though exactly as well. Willie effin Colon???? Really?

steelblood
06-01-2009, 07:52 AM
I believe Hood was talking about a running play. Colon can be an effective run blocker and does have a nasty side. I've watched the Super Bowl several times now and Colon played very well. His pass pro was the best it was all season.

stlrz d
06-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Hood's comments are a good indicator of why peeps who think the best college team (not all star team, but actual team) could beat the worst NFL team are wrong.

The college team would get absolutely trucked by even the worst NFL team.

phillyesq
06-01-2009, 10:57 AM
MY first though exactly as well. Willie effin Colon???? Really?

Count me among those who was surprised by this.

I really like Hood's attitude so far. He seems to say all of the right things.

ramblinjim
06-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Hood's comments are a good indicator of why peeps who think the best college team (not all star team, but actual team) could beat the worst NFL team are wrong.

The college team would get absolutely trucked by even the worst NFL team.

:Agree

the professional level is just such a jump from the college level. that's why so few rookies make such an immediate impact. there are exceptions, but probably less than 2%.

Hood definitely says all the right things, so far what's not to like about him.

flippy
06-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Willie Colon isn't the best protecting the edge but he does have a nastiness to him.

exactly. you can run around colon but he'll fight you if you try to go through him.

ANPSTEEL
06-01-2009, 12:08 PM
exactly. you can run around colon but he'll bite you if you try to go through him.

No way!!

Is he part Pit Bull??? Maybe, Dingo???

That has a ring to it- Dingo Colon.

:stirpot

:lol: