PDA

View Full Version : Have we signed any of our draft picks?

Acero
05-31-2009, 01:45 AM
Might sound like a dumb question, but I don't recall reading ANYTHING about the FO signing draft picks to contracts. Was watching NFLN and saw a note about the Bears signing 7 of their 9 picks already... then I thought to look. First here, then post-gazette, then steelers.com -- and couldn't find any news about contracts for draftees. Just the 13 fa's.

Am I missing something?

phillyesq
05-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Nope, not missing anything. As far as I know, the Steelers haven't signed any of their picks yet. A few teams have signed their picks early, but most wait until closer to training camp.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Nope, not missing anything. As far as I know, the Steelers haven't signed any of their picks yet. A few teams have signed their picks early, but most wait until closer to training camp.

I guess that makes sense, if someone blows out a knee before TC maybe that would affect the negotiations.

Jooser
06-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Perhaps they're are hoping to get the deal done with Starks first so they know what they're dealing with?

costanza2k1
06-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I think they generally tend to wait for others to sign their own players first so that the market is set then. Plus Fat (not Phat) Max has us by the short and curlies right now.

RuthlessBurgher
06-01-2009, 10:53 PM
For a frame of reference, last year all of our draft picks signed in July, so we are not late to the party with no picks signed on June 1st by any means. They signed Bruce Davis, Tony Hills, and Dennis Dixon on 7-7-08. They signed Ryan Mundy and Mike Humpal on 7-11-08. They signed Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed on 7-26-08.

papillon
06-02-2009, 08:47 AM
So, the 2009 draftees are at the OTAs without getting paid? How does the union allow that to happen? I'm sure they get per diem or something, but, without a contract they have no salary.

Pappy

Oviedo
06-02-2009, 10:22 AM
So, the 2009 draftees are at the OTAs without getting paid? How does the union allow that to happen? I'm sure they get per diem or something, but, without a contract they have no salary.

Pappy

They all come to camp under the equivalent of a contingent contract that protects them if they are injured. It is like an insurance policy but they get and equivalent to a standard rate for pay purposes. Those provisions are laid out in the CBA although I don't know the specifics.

RuthlessBurgher
06-03-2009, 01:22 PM
From the Bouchette chat:

Steeler_Fan_In_Cen_CA: Hello Ed, are there any Steeler draft picks that are close to signing?

Ed Bouchette: None that I know about. I believe you won't see any of them sign until the OTAs end June 11, unless it's a later-round pick. By then, they will have seen all of their players and can release a few to make room for the rookies -- remember, they're allowed 80-man rosters and the rookies do not count until they sign.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09153/974492-66.stm