PDA

View Full Version : NFL's meanest players -- 3 Steelers make list

PSU_dropout43
05-29-2009, 02:00 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11793612

Here are nine other nasty boys who play the game with ferocity, some who even cross the line on an occasion or two.

Ray Lewis, LB, Baltimore Ravens: He is a violent player who never backs down. Of all the nasty boys, he's by far the best football player. I would take 11 of him on my defense all day long.

Hines Ward, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers: Some say he's dirty -- I say he's close -- but he plays with a passion. If he's on your team, you love him. If he's not, you hate him. He does take his share of cheap shots.
:Hater

Troy Polamalu, S, Pittsburgh Steelers: He's a big hitter who always seems to take the big shot. He flies to the football. Receivers and runners have to keep their eyes open for him.

Richie Incognito, G, St. Louis Rams: He's a candidate for the league's dirtiest player. He goes nuts on the field, too much in fact. But he insists he will be calmer this season. When he's focused, he can be a good player.

Cortland Finnegan, CB, Tennessee Titans: He's a Pro Bowl corner, but he's also a feisty player whom opponents hate. Watch him as the whistle blows -- he's usually in some kind of fracas. For a 5-foot-9 corner, he sure doesn't back down.

Joey Porter, LB, Miami Dolphins: Some say his bark is bigger than his bite, but he has a heck of a bite. Porter plays the game relentlessly and won't back down from a scuffle. Count on him to be in the middle of most scrums when the Dolphins are playing.

Adrian Wilson, S, Arizona Cardinals: He's a fierce tackler who doesn't back down from anyone. Two years ago, he got flagged for eight personal fouls. Did you see him getting into it with Ward in the Super Bowl? I love the way he plays.

James Harrison, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers: He's meaner than his pit bull, and that's saying something. This guy plays all out all the time. Even some of his teammates are scared of him. In Steelers lore, he is right up there with the meanest, including Mean Joe Greene, Greg Lloyd and Jack Lambert.

Bob Sanders, S, Indianapolis Colts: He's a missile playing safety. He has no regard for his body and none for those he plays against. That's why he's hurt a lot. He's small, but never backs down from a fight or a tackle. It's too bad he has missed so much time in his career.

flippy
05-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Farrior and Clark hit harder than Troy and Harrison. I'd be more afraid to get hit by the bigger hitters.

Oh and Troy's so mean you can barely hear him whisper when he talks.

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2009, 02:06 PM
If Ray Lewis is by far the best football player of all the nasty boys, then why wasn't he defensive player of the year last year? Hmmmm...

Next year, Ray Ray better make sure he jumps on more piles after someone else makes a routine tackle, then dance like a fool.

RussBII
05-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Farrior and Clark hit harder than Troy and Harrison. I'd be more afraid to get hit by the bigger hitters.

Clark certainly hits harder, but Troy's pretty nuts on the field. Remember that animated commercial where he turned into a wolf, or some sort of monster on the field? I think that's probably pretty accurate. The reason his hits aren't that huge is because he gets there SOOO quickly that he rarely gets a full shot at the guy (I'm not sure this'll make sense to anyone else, but it does to me, maybe i'm insane). I'm happy about it, if he hit folks squarely he'd be dead by now. Although, this does lead to some missed tackles, but he still manages to break up the play.

Captain Lemming
05-29-2009, 05:51 PM
I dont find Troy to be "mean" at all. His job is to tackle people, but mean? The guy seems downright nice.

He is more the guy on the Nike ad with LT (plays hard but respects his opponant) than the guy in the mean Joe II coke ad.

Frankly, while it made me chuckle, the Coke ad seemed an unnatural fit for him.

Clark certainly hits harder, but Troy's pretty nuts on the field. Remember that animated commercial where he turned into a wolf, or some sort of monster on the field? I think that's probably pretty accurate. The reason his hits aren't that huge is because he gets there SOOO quickly that he rarely gets a full shot at the guy (I'm not sure this'll make sense to anyone else, but it does to me, maybe i'm insane). I'm happy about it, if he hit folks squarely he'd be dead by now. Although, this does lead to some missed tackles, but he still manages to break up the play.

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2009, 10:55 PM
I dont find Troy to be "mean" at all. His job is to tackle people, but mean? The guy seems downright nice.

He is more the guy on the Nike ad with LT (plays hard but respects his opponant) than the guy in the mean Joe II coke ad.

Frankly, while it made me chuckle, the Coke ad seemed an unnatural fit for him.

Especially since he won't put anything unnatural in his body (other than that one Primanti Bros. sandwich he claimed to have eaten). If he won't drink Gatorade, there is no way he touches a Coke.

Mel Blount's G
05-30-2009, 05:00 AM
If Ray Lewis is by far the best football player of all the nasty boys, then why wasn't he defensive player of the year last year?
He was robbed Ruth. And, as Ray sLowis once said, it was "highway robbery"! Fact is, it'll damn well be "highway robbery" again if dose fools don't name and award him the Defensive Player of Forever (DPOF)!!

Btw, for those of you not remembering what I'm referring too, I can't find a link to the orginal story but I did find it copied into a discussion forum

Camp tour: Personally, Lewis ready to show he's still boss
Aug. 7, 2005
By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Ravens: Five things to know
WESTMINSTER, Md. -- It's shortly after practice, and Baltimore middle linebacker Ray Lewis isn't interested in talking about the Ravens' "46" defense, its impact on him or its impact on opponents. What he wants discuss is where he's headed, and for the moment, it's not toward the legions of spectators clamoring for autographs.

Don't believe the smile; Ray Lewis says he's serious about becoming the league MVP. (AP)
Lewis will accommodate them, but not before he first gets something off his chest.

"You know what I expect from myself this year?" he said, stopping to towel off his face. "MVP of the league. Not defensive MVP. MVP of the league. If I don't come away with MVP of the league it's highway robbery."

Someone alert the sheriff's patrol because there are a couple of things Ray Lewis should know before we proceed here: 1.) A defensive player hasn't won the award since linebacker Lawrence Taylor in 1986, and 2.) every recipient since Taylor has been either a running back or quarterback.

Lewis shrugs. He likes his chances.

"It's going to be the first time (in a long time) a defensive player wins the MVP," he said, "so watch me."

It's hard not to. When Lewis is on the field, you can't help but follow him. Hey, even when he's not on the field, you can't ignore him. He acts up for cameras in pregame intros. He plays to his audience on the field. He races sideline to sideline to bury ball carriers. He hammers quarterbacks. He produces interceptions and forces fumbles.

He even throws blocks. Remember Chris McAlister's 107-yard return of a deflected field goal three years ago? Remember who threw the critical block? Uh-huh, it was Ray Lewis.

Yes, Lewis can do it all, despite reports to the contrary. There was some loose talk last season that Lewis lost a step -- at least, that's what Lewis and coach Brian Billick insist they read -- and some of it was based on a Monday night performance against Kansas City, where cameras caught Pro Bowl guard Will Shields riding Lewis out of a play.

It's a touchy subject, with Lewis pointing out that he and then-linebackers coach Mike Singletary reviewed the videotape and found him solo blocked only twice. But it didn't matter. The damage was done. TV uncovered evidence of Kryptonite in Baltimore that evening, and Lewis suffered for it.

Now, one season later, it's payback time. Lewis is fixed on proving the skeptics wrong, and you had better believe him here because coordinator Rex Ryan's "46" defense is perfectly suited to his seek-and-destroy abilities.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SpzFQzcsL._AA280_.jpg

fezziwig
05-30-2009, 07:57 PM
If Ray Lewis is by far the best football player of all the nasty boys, then why wasn't he defensive player of the year last year? Hmmmm...

Next year, Ray Ray better make sure he jumps on more piles after someone else makes a routine tackle, then dance like a fool.

:Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree