PDA

View Full Version : WR corp: Bengals or Steelers?

stlrz d
05-28-2009, 09:19 PM
So a Bengals fan writes in to James Walker about an argument he is having with a Steelers fan:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2 ... e-Day.html (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-569/Thought-of-the-Day.html)

Jon from Tampa writes: James, I follow your blog on the AFC North as a huge Cincinnati Bengals fan and need you to help settle a dispute with a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. Which WR corps would you prefer going into next season: The Bengals or Steelers? I feel the starting three of Cincinnati (Chad Ochocinco, Laveranues Coles, and Chris Henry) are slightly better than Pittsburgh's (Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Limas Sweed) but when you consider that Cincinnati has Andre Caldwell, Jerome Simpson, and Antonio Chatman as their 4th-6th options the disparity gets even greater the deeper you go on their bench. Please help us settle this dispute.

James asks AFCN fans to respond, and respond they did!

Verdict?

Steelers in a landslide!

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2 ... ay-II.html (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-576/Thought-of-the-Day-II.html)

Of course there is always one in every crowd...typical Ravens fan who understands nothing beyond statistics. I can only figure that most of these jokers weren't around or were very young when the Colts left so they just don't understand that stats don't tell the whole story and that they never will.

Reader from Charm City (Washington D.C.) writes: Great thought out the day! First of all I'd like to say I am a Ravens fan. I happy with the Ravens receivers for now, but I do think as far as AFC North is concerned the Ravens are at or close to the bottom. Ok so between the Steelers and Bengals I would have to say I am leaning toward Bengals. If T.J. [Houshmandzadeh] was still with them it would definitely be the Bengals. For me the X factor was the QB. Carson Palmer being the better QB (that's right, I just said that) I would say the Bengals' receivers will put up better numbers and outperform the Steelers receivers. But hey it doesn't matter cause the Steelers (and Ravens) will still beat them which is what really matters.

I wish I could ask this guy to show me the last time a Bengals WR blocked like a Steelers WR...or the last time he saw a Steelers WR slack on a route when he knew the ball wouldn't be coming his way.

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2009, 09:36 PM
I wish I could ask this guy to show me the last time a Bengals WR blocked like a Steelers WR...or the last time he saw a Steelers WR slack on a route when he knew the ball wouldn't be coming his way.

Or when was the last time that a Steeler WR punched a coach during halftime of their only playoff game in decades?

Or when was the last time that a Steeler WR had to collect his gold teeth after a play?

Or when was the last time that a Steeler WR pulled out a "Hall of Fame Class of 20??" jacket?

Or when was the last time that a Steeler WR changed his name to an incorrect Spanish number?

Or when was the last time that a Steeler WR was cut by the coach due to countless off-the-field violations, but was re-signed by the owner mere days after the coach said that he had no interest whatsoever in bringing this guy back to the team?

Or when was the last time that a Steeler WR was caught stealing clothes from Dillard's (the Bengals drafted the one guy who did this with the 4th overall pick in the 2000 draft, and now signed the other guy who did this to a 4 year $28 million contract to complete the circle of thievery...most of you probably forgot about that Warrick-Coles incident, right?)

Flasteel
05-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Hmmm...does any other team have a Super Bowl MVP at WR? Last time I checked we have two.

Scoreboard.

Jom112
05-28-2009, 10:59 PM
The question is what is the better WR Corps not what is the better WR duo. If we're just talking about the top two receivers on the respective teams then I would take Ward and Holmes over Chad and Coles.

But since we're talking about more than just the best two receivers then I would take the Bengals WR Corps. Chris Henry, Andre Caldwell, Antonio Chatman and Jerome Simpson definitely provide us with a lot better depth than Sweed, Wallace and Baker.

As for all the Super Bowl MVP talk, it's definitely a great honor but you have to understand Deion Branch was also a SB MVP. When the Bengals signed Dexter Jackson from the Bucs, he was a SB MVP as well and everyone kept touting that, even when he blew for us. I'm glad we finally kicked that SB MVP to the curb...

Flasteel
05-29-2009, 12:01 AM
The question is what is the better WR Corps not what is the better WR duo. If we're just talking about the top two receivers on the respective teams then I would take Ward and Holmes over Chad and Coles.

But since we're talking about more than just the best two receivers then I would take the Bengals WR Corps. Chris Henry, Andre Caldwell, Antonio Chatman and Jerome Simpson definitely provide us with a lot better depth than Sweed, Wallace and Baker.

As for all the Super Bowl MVP talk, it's definitely a great honor but you have to understand Deion Branch was also a SB MVP. When the Bengals signed Dexter Jackson from the Bucs, he was a SB MVP as well and everyone kept touting that, even when he blew for us. I'm glad we finally kicked that SB MVP to the curb...

Good points Jom.

Henry has definitely made plays in this league (when he's not busy committing criminal acts), so I think that helps with your depth argument. However, Limas Sweed has the potential to far exceed what that guy brings to the table both on and off the field. Granted he has yet to display it, but his chance will come this year.

Bubba Caldwell and Dallas Baker are both former Gators who bring a lot of similar qualities to the table in terms of play making ability. I honestly don't know enough about Jerome Simpson or what Mike Wallace will do as a pro to even enter them into the equation.

If you conceed that our top two receivers are better than your top two, then your argument rests primarily on Chris Henry being a whole lot better than what Limas Sweed is. I'm not buying that. More proven...yes. But both are very talented. I don't think any difference which currently exists is enough to give you guys the edge.

Scoreboard. :tt2

Jom112
05-29-2009, 12:16 AM

Good points Jom.

Henry has definitely made plays in this league (when he's not busy committing criminal acts), so I think that helps with your depth argument. However, Limas Sweed has the potential to far exceed what that guy brings to the table both on and off the field. Granted he has yet to display it, but his chance will come this year.

Bubba Caldwell and Dallas Baker are both former Gators who bring a lot of similar qualities to the table in terms of play making ability. I honestly don't know enough about Jerome Simpson or what Mike Wallace will do as a pro to even enter them into the equation.

If you conceed that our top two receivers are better than your top two, then your argument rests primarily on Chris Henry being a whole lot better than what Limas Sweed is. I'm not buying that. More proven...yes. But both are very talented. I don't think any difference which currently exists is enough to give you guys the edge.

Limas Sweed is on Jerome Simpson's level not Chris Henry's. Simpson was drafted in the same round as Sweed and like Sweed didn't really do anything his rookie season. Both have a lot of potential, but it's all about production on the field.

Neither has done anything yet, which leaves Chris Henry as the only viable #3 receiver on either team going into the season.

I'm sure you guys have a lot of high hopes for Sweed based on all the offseason stories about him working hard and wanting to prove himself but we've been reading those articles about Caldwell and Simpson as well all offseason. Until they prove it on the field it's tough to rank them.

For WR comparisons between the teams I would do it this way:

Holmes vs. Chad - The deep threat/big play guys
Hines vs. Coles - The over the middle, great blocker, great hands guys
Baker vs. Henry - I don't know much about Baker to say what he is
Sweed vs. Simpson - The second year WR's with huge upsides that need to prove themselves
Wallace vs. Caldwell - The ST's, speedy guys
McDonald vs. Chatman - The backup Vets

Snatch98
05-29-2009, 02:19 AM

Good points Jom.

Limas Sweed is on Jerome Simpson's level not Chris Henry's. Simpson was drafted in the same round as Sweed and like Sweed didn't really do anything his rookie season. Both have a lot of potential, but it's all about production on the field.

Neither has done anything yet, which leaves Chris Henry as the only viable #3 receiver on either team going into the season.

I'm sure you guys have a lot of high hopes for Sweed based on all the offseason stories about him working hard and wanting to prove himself but we've been reading those articles about Caldwell and Simpson as well all offseason. Until they prove it on the field it's tough to rank them.

For WR comparisons between the teams I would do it this way:

Holmes vs. Chad - The deep threat/big play guys
Hines vs. Coles - The over the middle, great blocker, great hands guys
Baker vs. Henry - I don't know much about Baker to say what he is
Sweed vs. Simpson - The second year WR's with huge upsides that need to prove themselves
Wallace vs. Caldwell - The ST's, speedy guys
McDonald vs. Chatman - The backup Vets

I'm not trying to be funny or cute when saying this but Chris Henry has a hard time staying out of jail and or out of trouble. I'll wager he'll be lucky to play a full 16 games because of his willingness to be a dumba$$.

I also think McDonald is better than he's given credit for and feel that Sweed has more upside than Simpson. Either way I'm happy with our recievers and can acknowledge the Bengals also have a good group.

BURGH86STEEL
05-29-2009, 07:50 AM

I give you guys a slight edge at WR.

Slapstick
05-29-2009, 08:31 AM
Let's not forget about the possibility of McDonald as a legit #3 WR for the Steelers...

He has produced at a level at least as high if not higher than Henry...

Oviedo
05-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Let's not forget about the possibility of McDonald as a legit #3 WR for the Steelers...

I agree. McDonald is not just a stiff in a uniform. He is a good, solid receiver who I think will make more of a contribution this year than folks think.

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2009, 09:36 AM

Henry:

2008 Cincinnati Bengals 19 catches for 220 yards and 2 TD's
2007 Cincinnati Bengals 21 catches for 343 yards and 2 TD's
2006 Cincinnati Bengals 36 catches for 605 yards and 9 TD's
2005 Cincinnati Bengals 31 catches for 422 yards and 6 TD's

McDonald:

2008 Detroit Lions 35 catches for 332 yards and 1 TD
2007 Detroit Lions 79 catches for 943 yards and 6 TD's
2006 St. Louis Rams 13 catches for 136 yards and 1 TD
2005 St. Louis Rams 46 catches for 523 yards and 0 TD's
2004 St. Louis Rams 37 catches for 494 yards and 3 TD's
2003 St. Louis Rams 10 catches for 62 yards and 0 TD's