PDA

View Full Version : OTA VII Update

Oviedo
05-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Accurate comments about the former Steelers' coach. Bill Cowher is a putz. The guy is the biggest phoney there is. He has absolutley no loyalty to the City of Pittsburgh as we saw during the Penguins beat down of the Hurricanes. The guy is nothing but an opportunist who goes what ever way he can to market himself. Thank God he is gone.

WEDNESDAY, MAY 27

3:30 p.m.: James Harrison missed practice today to bring his son home from the hospital. Hallelujah for the boy, and for those of us who don't have to read anymore about off-the-field James.

Funny, but not one of the righteously indignant columnists mentioned that the boy was attacked by the dog the same day Harrison skipped the White House visit. Don't know that it means anything, but it should've been mentioned somewhere, particularly by the guys who waited a week before ripping into Harrison for blowing off the White House -- or, I should say, the guys who waited a week before mailing their columns in.

* Anyone else out there starting to feel the same way about Bill Cowher that the media and team support staff have for the last 15 years? He looked ridiculous with that Carolina mascot while ringing the siren at last night's hockey game. And don't be so surprised by his lack of loyalty. This is the guy who wouldn't root for the Steelers -- his own boys -- in the last Super Bowl because, he said, the other team had a couple of his ex-assistants.

* OTA VII went off without many highlights today. Rashard Mendenhall continues to impress, but the other rookie from last season, Limas Sweed, had two big drops. In fact, the first pass of the day clanged off his hands and bounced to safety Ryan Mundy for a touchdown. Sweed did catch a 50-yarder from Ben Roethlisberger later for a score. Cornerback Fernando Bryant tripped and fell and Sweed was wide open. He took it to the end zone and slam-dunked the ball over the crossbar.

* Sweed won't be the No. 3 receiver this year. The favorite has to be Shaun McDonald. Not that he's showing much, but no one else appears capable of running those inside routes that veteran slot receivers can run.

* I watched Lawrence Timmons pick up a loose ball and throw a spiral 60 yards. I hope Mike Tomlin saw it, in case he ever wants to run a linebacker option pass.

* The punt returners got some real action outdoors today. While Stefan Logan will assuredly pick up some fans in the preseason with his quickness, fifth-round rookie Joe Burnett is showing poise and polish beyond his years. He's a natural punt-catcher and knows exactly what he wants to do with the ball and where he wants to go. I asked an assistant coach if Burnett has a good chance to be the punt returner this year, and he said "Burnett has a GREAT chance."

* After Logan went deep to snag a ball over his shoulder, Tomlin asked him if he ever played baseball, and told him to catch the next deep one like a center fielder. Sure enough, a few kicks later, Logan took his eyes off the ball and turned and ran to a spot, just like he was Willie Mays, and then he turned, picked up the ball and caught it easily. "There you go!" Tomlin bellowed.

* While Sweed made a couple of nifty catches, he lost points for his drops and therefore Catch of the Day went to Heath Miller, who turned safety Roy Lewis around and got behind him to catch a deep pass. On the next play, Roethlisberger scrambled, motioned for Matt Spaeth to break deep, but he couldn't break free from Lewis, who broke up the pass.

* Rookie cornerback Keenan Lewis flashed pro recovery speed to break up a deep pass intended for Brandon Williams, the guy who has the only realistic chance of beating McDonald out for the open slot receiver spot.

* The 6-foot-5 kicker from Poland, Piotr Czech, finished the field goal period by booming a 55-yarder through the skinny goal posts. Speaking of the backup kickers, punter Dirk Johnson played with Aaron Smith at Northern Colorado

ramblinjim
05-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks for posting!

steelblood
05-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Oviedo,

Could you clarify your stance on Cowher?

:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Oviedo,

I think Oviedo is still somewhat on the fence about Joe Burnett as well. :mrgreen:

Oviedo
05-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Oviedo,

I think Oviedo is still somewhat on the fence about Joe Burnett as well. :mrgreen:

Yea. Don't know about this Burnett kid. He is just like "grits" I guess :wink:

stlrz d
05-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks for posting!

:tt1

ikestops85
05-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Sorry but I can't hate on Cowher. He was the face of Steeler football for a long time and he continued a winning tradition. Yes, he ONLY won 1 SB in his tenure (how many teams didn't win at all in that timeframe) and he probably wasn't the greatest strategist in the game but he was a master motivator. He got more out of his players than any coach could and I think the proof of that is the lack of success players had once they left the Steelers. Very few of his players were as successful after they left a Cowher led team as they were playing under him.

Just my :2c (adjusted for inflation)

stlrz d
05-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Sorry but I can't hate on Cowher. He was the face of Steeler football for a long time and he continued a winning tradition. Yes, he ONLY won 1 SB in his tenure (how many teams didn't win at all in that timeframe) and he probably wasn't the greatest strategist in the game but he was a master motivator. He got more out of his players than any coach could and I think the proof of that is the lack of success players had once they left the Steelers. Very few of his players were as successful after they left a Cowher led team as they were playing under him.

That may be true in some cases, but many times a team will throw money at a guy who was successful on one team even though he's not really a fit for their team.

Oracle
05-28-2009, 12:10 PM
The more i read about our OTA's the more i see the very real possibility that our special teams kick returns will become a game changing force this year. I fully expect to see multiple KO returns for TDs and multiple punt returns for TDs. That is such a huge weapon because the extra points allow our (already dominate) defense to be even more aggressive. And it takes the pressure off our passing game which will not only save ben some hits but help prevent/offset our own turnovers. It's like a snowball effect. We've got young fast legs who are hungry and fearless, and i credit that to Tomlin. I never understood why/how Cowher didn't get more speed on special teams, but that problem is quickly reversing.

I also love seeing the development of Tomlin's draft choices. It appears he has a good eye for talent. Anytime you get players like Gay and Mundy performing well enough to crack the starting roster it's like finding lost benjamins in your pocket. It frees up a lot of money to re-sign our veterans also which is crucial in the coming two years.

Lastly, don't panic over Sweed... yet... Let's see him in a couple of actual games first before we crown him or crucify him.

ikestops85
05-28-2009, 12:17 PM

That may be true in some cases, but many times a team will throw money at a guy who was successful on one team even though he's not really a fit for their team.

True Dat --- I just don't consider teams like the lions, bengal, and browns to be part of the league. :wink: They are the ones that mostly do that. :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
The more i read about our OTA's the more i see the very real possibility that our special teams kick returns will become a game changing force this year. I fully expect to see multiple KO returns for TDs and multiple punt returns for TDs. That is such a huge weapon because the extra points allow our (already dominate) defense to be even more aggressive. And it takes the pressure off our passing game which will not only save ben some hits but help prevent/offset our own turnovers. It's like a snowball effect. We've got young fast legs who are hungry and fearless, and i credit that to Tomlin. I never understood why/how Cowher didn't get more speed on special teams, but that problem is quickly reversing.

I also love seeing the development of Tomlin's draft choices. It appears he has a good eye for talent. Anytime you get players like Gay and Mundy performing well enough to crack the starting roster it's like finding lost benjamins in your pocket. It frees up a lot of money to re-sign our veterans also which is crucial in the coming two years.

Lastly, don't panic over Sweed... yet... Let's see him in a couple of actual games first before we crown him or crucify him.

Slow down on Mundy. While things sound promising with the kid, the only reason he is running with the starters are because Polamala and Clark aren't participating in these OTA's. He still has to make the team, which is no guarantee. They may stick with the veteran Carter as the primary back-up at safety, and youngster Roy Lewis is also showing some things. Add to the fact that Deshea is playing some safety as well as corner, and they can't keep everyone.

costanza2k1
05-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Cowher is a dweeb who looked like an idiot playing that siren. Another Cowher team failure is the way I see it and another loss at home for him. He's the enemy now...how can you not root for the home team? Grow a sack Bill.

Oviedo
05-28-2009, 01:06 PM

I have no problem with what Cowher did while he was here except for quitting on the team his last season. My issue with Cowher has been his behavior and statements after leaving where he has gone out of his way to take a clearly anti-Pittsburgh position.

Screw you if you want to feel loved somewhere else, but then don't turn around and talk about your "hometown." Can't have it both ways.

costanza2k1
05-28-2009, 01:17 PM
I think it's fine for the fans to quit there love fest with him if he's doing the same. I also enjoyed his years while he was the coach, he's gone now. He has no loyalties and neither should I.

ikestops85
05-28-2009, 02:13 PM

I have no problem with what Cowher did while he was here except for quitting on the team his last season. My issue with Cowher has been his behavior and statements after leaving where he has gone out of his way to take a clearly anti-Pittsburgh position.

Screw you if you want to feel loved somewhere else, but then don't turn around and talk about your "hometown." Can't have it both ways.

I really haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he takes an anti-Steeler position. That he doesn't root for the Penguins doesn't matter to me. Maybe he just became a hockey fan when he moved to Carolina. I don't know. Whenever I watched him on the pregame shows he very clearly showed his support for the Steelers. In fact you could say that I'm a hypocrite because I love that Cowher blantantly shows his support for the Steelers on the network yet I bitch and moan about announcers like Aikman and Trumpy doing the same for their former teams.

Yes, I was disappointed that Cowher mailed in his last year in the 'Burgh but I've never heard him talk bad about the Steelers and that's what I care about.