PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup Finals. Discuss.

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2009, 01:53 PM
We're baa-aack!!!

It will either be a re-match of our last appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals against the Red Wings last season, or if Chicago is able to pull off three straight wins, a re-match of the Stanley Cup Finals the last time we won the Cup against the Blackhawks in 1992.

In either case, I will look forward to Benedict Hossa crying all the way back to Slovakia when his Red Wings ultimately lose.

http://www.puckbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/marian-hossa-priatelka-jank.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2009, 12:04 AM
The matchup is set. And the schedule is out. I'm shocked that they are starting the Stanley Cup Finals with games on back-to-back nights this weekend.

Saturday, May 30 at Detroit, 8:00 pm NBC, CBC, RDS
Sunday, May 31 at Detroit, TBD-Night NBC, CBC, RDS
Tuesday, June 2 at Pittsburgh, 8:00 pm VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Thursday, June 4 at Pittsburgh, 8:00 pm VERSUS, CBC, RDS
* Saturday, June 6 at Detroit, 8:00 pm NBC, CBC, RDS
* Tuesday, June 9 at Pittsburgh, 8:00 pm NBC, CBC, RDS
* Friday, June 12 at Detroit, 8:00 pm NBC, CBC, RDS

Jigawatts
05-28-2009, 04:35 AM
I'm shocked that they are starting the Stanley Cup Finals with games on back-to-back nights this weekend.

Advantage for Pittsburgh, don't ya think?

Wings are a little older and injured.

Pens are healthy and on fire. Bring on those wings as soon as possible. 8)

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm shocked that they are starting the Stanley Cup Finals with games on back-to-back nights this weekend.

Advantage for Pittsburgh, don't ya think?

Wings are a little older and injured.

Pens are healthy and on fire. Bring on those wings as soon as possible. 8)

With big time players like Datsyuk and Lidstrom missing last night's game, plus the kid with the emergency appendectomy, it will be interesting to see if any of them will be ready to go for game one 2 days from now (or game two 3 days from now). I look forward to stealing home ice advantage this weekend.

Jigawatts
05-28-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.thehockeynews.com/imgs/dynamique/photos/original/article_13891_2.jpghttp://www.alanjohns.fsnet.co.uk/goldmember/goldmember.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2009, 01:02 PM
http://www.thehockeynews.com/imgs/dynamique/photos/original/article_13891_2.jpghttp://www.alanjohns.fsnet.co.uk/goldmember/goldmember.jpg

Here's to a Gonchar slapshot clanking off his Goldmember. :lol:

http://thephoenix.com/secure/uploadedImages/The_Phoenix/Home_Entertainment/The_Ultimate/George_C_Scott.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
06-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Not freaking out yet.

This pair of 3-1 losses has more of a feeling like the 3-2 and 4-3 games that we lost in Washington in round 2 where we came back to win in 7 than it feels like last year where Detroit dominated us 4-0 and 3-0 in the first two games of the Finals.

I still think we can come back (a series is not officially a series until a team loses at home). If we are able to hold serve at Mellon on Tuesday and Thursday, it is all evened up for a best-of-3 showdown.

I don't think that is out of the realm of possibility, because we clearly outplayed Detroit for long stretches at times, and have just had some unlucky bounces (as well as a couple of questionable calls, such as Hossa slashing Dupuis and breaking his stick prior to the eventual game-winning goal).

It would have been nice to take advantage of these two quick games against an older, more injured squad with Datsyuk and Draper out, but we can't dwell on that. We just have to feed off the home crowd this week and swing the momentum back in our favor.

Jigawatts
06-01-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm a busy man this week and probably won't have too much time to comment on the
games, so I'll throw in a few while I got a chance here.

First, I it's going to be a huge uphill battle but winning this series is very possible. Like
Ruthless said, those first two games are closer than they looked. The Wings brought
their horseshoes Saturday night and put a couple in. Other than that, it looked like the
Pens were the better team.

Same thing goes for last nights game. We're so close but we're not catching any breaks,
though maybe the first goal we had a little luck on our side. MAF not catching that third
goal in his mitt was a killer. Let's get the white out going Tuesday night, get two wins in
a row and take it back to Detroit tied up.

And if I have to hear Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" besmirched in such a disgusting
manner again I'm going to have to throw up. You can't treat Journey that way. :x

buckeyehoppy
06-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Not that they really had the luxury of losing at home in the first place. But, the Pens don't have a choice but to win the next two.

Last night would have been a golden chance to steal one in D-Town wit Datsyuk and Draper laid up. But even the announcers were admitting that the Wings advantage was largely due to more advantageous bounces. Really, that means we're just about even here and so long as the Pens hold serve it will remain that way for a three game sprint to the finish line.

MAF simply needs to be a wall right now. He's let by one goal in each game that shouldn't have passed him. Not acceptable! Plus, someone needs to break the wedge in the middle on the attack. Cracking Lidstrom one when he's clogging the middle won't hurt a thing. Plus, the passing isn't nearly as crisp as it should be. The Pens need pin-point precision on passing and a quicker release off the shot.

This might go the seven I figured it would. But the ball is in the Pens court. They really need a strong showing the next couple games to put the Wings on their heels.

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2009, 03:13 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09153/974334-61.stm

You from Detroit? No octopus for you
Tuesday, June 02, 2009
By Sharon Eberson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Pittsburgh is a dangerous place to be this week if you happen to be an octopus.

Benkovitz Seafoods in the Strip District is inviting fans to make mush out of the Red Wings' mascot: "Smash it with a mallet. Puree it in a blender. Whack it like a pinata. Beat it with a stick." That's what Benkovitz is inviting Penguins fans to do between 4 and 5 p.m. before Game 3 of the Stanley Cup final in Pittsburgh.

Fans also can compete for prizes in an "Octopus Shoot Off," three shots at a goalie standing in for the Red Wings, using an octopus for a puck.

Benkovitz is serving octopus throughout the playoffs, grilled, steamed or in sushi. However, if you're wearing anything that identifies you as Red Wings fan, Benkovitz's rule is: No octopus for you. More at http://www.benkovitzseafood.com.

First published on June 2, 2009 at 12:00 am

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/2009/0601/19627021_640X480.jpg

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/19626280/detail.html

Be Nice To Octopi! Pittsburgh Aquarium Frowns On Tradition
Penguins, Detroit Red Wings Meet In Stanley Cup Rematch
POSTED: 5:36 pm EDT June 1, 2009
UPDATED: 7:15 am EDT June 2, 2009

PITTSBURGH -- When a Detroit fish market owner tossed an octopus on the ice at a Red Wings game in the 1950s, he started a good-luck tradition that continues today.

On a Monday morning visit to the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium, WTAE Channel 4's Sally Wiggin learned that an aquarist -- probably like many Pittsburgh hockey fans -- finds the practice to be distasteful and disrespectful.

"Their intelligence level is up there with a cat or a dog. They figure out puzzles. We have toys and things in the tank," assistant curator Dwayne Biggs told Wiggin.

In the Stanley Cup Final, the Penguins and the Red Wings are locked in a hard-hitting, seven-game series.

But in the aquarium, Wiggin found a giant pacific octopus right around the corner from the penguins, living in peaceful proximity.

"She may grab hold of your arm. She is tasting you," Biggs said.

"This girl here is only about 10 or 12 pounds," Biggs said. "They can become 100 pounds and 18 feet long, and the record is around 600 pounds."

Even though seafood is harvested from the ocean, Biggs said that because of his attachment to the octopi, he can't wrap his brain around tossing a dead one on the ice.

"They know the difference between me and another keeper at the aquarium, so it is a hard thing for me to grasp," Biggs said.

Wings fans are known to put octopi in plastic zipper bags and tape them to their stomachs to get past arena security. Last year, a Detroit fan threw an octopus onto the ice during a Stanley Cup Final game at Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh.

To avoid a repeat octopus incident this year, Wholey's Fish Market in the Strip District said it will only sell octopus to customers with Pittsburgh identification during the Pens-Wings series.

Eight victories were needed to win a Stanley Cup when the tradition began. The octopus' eight legs represented each one of those eight wins.

Jigawatts
06-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Rumor is Letang may be a healthy scratch in favor of Boucher.

Yikes. I don't know about this move. :?

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Rumor is Letang may be a healthy scratch in favor of Boucher.

Yikes. I don't know about this move. :?

[youtube:hg8jowju]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IXCK1EyP4s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IXCK1EyP4s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:hg8jowju]

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Well, I'm glad that Letang wasn't a healthy scratch, since he scored the tying goal to make it 2-2 after one period.

I'm surprised they came out with Crosby and Malkin together on their first shift. I think they should put them together more often when trailing, but not right off the bat.

When trailing, I would roll the following lines:

Malkin-Crosby-Guerin
Kennedy-Staal-Kunitz
Cooke-Talbot-Fedotenko
Dupuis-Adams-Satan

I'm still wondering what happened to Sykora. It's as if he fell off the face of the earth. You dont' hear any reports about him whatsoever. I assumed that he was injured when he was going through his slump, and he would be back after a few games off to recoup, but once Bylsma sat him down, he hasn't been heard from since. Hmmm...

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Now that's more like it. We were a clank off the post away for a hat trick for my man Mad Max. Gotta love it.

Three assists from Malkin. He's pulled ahead of Crosby in the Conn Smythe race for now.

Good crowd tonight...booing Benedict Hossa whenever he touched the puck. Our current 81 may have "Satan" on the back of his jersey, but the other 81 is truly the Anti-Christ in the minds of the Pittsburgh faithful.

It's a shame that Thursday night will be the last time the crazies will get to gather outside of Mellon Arena as well, because of NBC's stupid rule about not allowing the outdoor screen when they are broadcasting. It's pretty awesome when Fox Sports or Versus cuts to footage of people outside the arena going nuts after a Pens goal. NBC is missing out. Morons.

Jigawatts
06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah, there's nothing like trying to market a product by doing the exact opposite of
what would help make it more popular. If the NHL wants to attract a young audience
they should display the party-like atmosphere. Instead they worry about there ratings
dipping because a few thousand people are outside watching the game instead of at
their homes. Maybe NBC should tell people to quit going to bars to watch the games also.

Idiots. :x

It is a good thing Letang wasn't scratched. I have no idea why he would be scratched in
favor of Boucher. Just one of those crazy rumors that thankfully wasn't true.

Here's to pulling even tonight. :Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Every game has been close so far, with each team playing well enough to win any of those first three games. Tonight, I'm hoping that we finally take it to them, laying a beating on them that will make an impression on them, shift series momentum in our favor, and get inside the heads of the Wings players as the series shifts back to Motown. Something in the neighborhood of 6-2 would work for me.

Jigawatts
06-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm hoping tonight's the night that those Red Wing legs show their age.

I agree, a 6-2 smackdown would be a terrific way to take the series back to Detroit.

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Game Four is huge for both teams. Obviously, for us, we need this game in order to avoid going down 3-1 like last year. Needing to beat this team in three straight games (2 of which would be in Detroit) could be too much to bear. But Rossi and Bendel were talking on the radio today (I was able to listen to the podcast online) about how the Red Wings desperately want to avoid having the series squared up. Would you want to face a team that has the two best players in the world in what would amount to a best-two-out-of-three scenario? In each of the Red Wings previous Cup victories during this 90's-00's era, they never faced a 2-2 best-of-3 situation. They swept the Flyers and Caps in 96-97 and 97-98, beat the Canes 4-1 in 01-02, and beat us 4-2 last year (but won this crutial game 4 battle last year to give them a 3-1 edge heading back to Detroit). They may want this game so badly that they could bring Datsyuk back earlier than he should be brought back with a broken foot. They are already juggling things to insert Draper back into the lineup.

Discipline of Steel
06-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Game Four is huge for both teams. Obviously, for us, we need this game in order to avoid going down 3-1 like last year. Needing to beat this team in three straight games (2 of which would be in Detroit) could be too much to bear. But Rossi and Bendel were talking on the radio today (I was able to listen to the podcast online) about how the Red Wings desperately want to avoid having the series squared up. Would you want to face a team that has the two best players in the world in what would amount to a best-two-out-of-three scenario? In each of the Red Wings previous Cup victories during this 90's-00's era, they never faced a 2-2 best-of-3 situation. They swept the Flyers and Caps in 96-97 and 97-98, beat the Canes 4-1 in 01-02, and beat us 4-2 last year (but won this crutial game 4 battle last year to give them a 3-1 edge heading back to Detroit). They may want this game so badly that they could bring Datsyuk back earlier than he should be brought back with a broken foot. They are already juggling things to insert Draper back into the lineup.

I think it may work against them. Too much lineup juggling when things were going reasonably well. Im hoping for a backbreaking comeback with the game winner in OT.

2-2 Baby :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2009, 10:09 PM
That second period may have been the best period of hockey I have seen the Pens play in recent memory. Malkin trying to pass to Crosby, it's blocked, so try again, goal. Kunitz to Crosby to Kennedy, goal. The Wings had to use their timeout in the 2nd and it didn't matter. The action continued right down to the buzzer with a Malkin breakaway...that would have been the cherry on the sundae if it went in. Now we just have to keep bringing it in the third.

Discipline of Steel
06-05-2009, 12:54 AM
No need to bring anything in the third...the Wings just looked tired.

I predicted just moments before Stahl's goal that the next goal wins the Cup. It came right on cue. This game was deeply satisfying.

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2009, 10:16 AM
If they play as well as they played in the second period, no one beats them. Not the mid-80's Oilers, early-80's Islanders, late-70's Canadians...no one.

This is exactly the type of win that we needed. Not only did it tie up the series, but I'm sure it is in the heads of some of the Detroit players now. They saw what it looked like when the two best players in the world started playing like the two best players in the world. All of the sudden, they have to worry about how they are going to beat these Penguins in what now amounts to a best-two-out-of-three series.

Up until last night (the entire Finals series last year and the first three games this year), the question was how Pittsburgh was going to solve the problems that Detroit would present to them. But after that performance, for the first time, the question now shifts to how Detroit is going to solve the problems that Pittsburgh presents to them. They have no choice but to start Datsyuk tomorrow. We have the momemtum, and they are now the desperate team. My my, how things can change in only a couple of days.

Jigawatts
06-05-2009, 01:30 PM
If it wasn't for the Joe Lewis springboards I think the Pens are up 3-1 right now. They
are most definitely the better team. The Kunitz to Crosby to Kennedy goal was solid
work all around. Probably the best goal of the series the way they worked it.

Detroit is starting to hit the wall chasing Sid, Geno, and the rest of the younger Pens
around. I think they proved that they can not only hang with this team, but they can
dominate at times. As long as MAF keeps an eye on those rebounds off the boards I
think the Pens win in Detroit and bring back Lord Stanleys Cup on home ice.

Is anyone in the world better than Malkin right now? The guy's stealing pucks, making
the passes, scoring goals... doing everything at another level.

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Every game was won by two goals so far (two 3-1 Red Wing victories in Detroit and two 4-2 Penguin victories in Pittsburgh), but last night's game was the only decisive game so far, in spite of the same actual margin of victory on the scoreboard. The Pens absolutely dominated the 2nd period and shut everything down in the 3rd to the point that it felt like the 6-2 victory I was hoping for. The previous 3 games truly could have gone either way if the puck bounces differently at certain points of each game, but there was no question about last night after the Staal shorty tied it up in the midst of consecutive minor penalties against the Pens, then those bang-band Malkin to Crosby and Kunitz to Crosby to Kennedy plays. We allowed them to get in our heads during the Finals last year, but did a great job of preventing that from happening again in spite of the 0-2 hole after the first weekend. Now, for the first time, we are in their heads. Game 5 is going to be a no-holds-barred battle. Can't wait.

Discipline of Steel
06-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Dont mean we lost the series. No one has lost at home yet...

Jigawatts
06-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Nothing much to say here other than that was good old arse-kicking they handed us.

Discipline of Steel
06-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Well, Id say we laid down an arse kicking on them in game 4. Made them look old and tired. Wow, than home ice advantage at Joe Louis is huge! But also at the Igloo... First team to lose at home is done.

RuthlessBurgher
06-07-2009, 01:14 PM
It's not over. We essentially had to win back-to-back games in games 3 and 4, and we showed that we can do that. Now we have to win back-to-back games in games 6 and 7. It is not impossible. Game 5 is over and done with. We have to put it behind us like Detroit put their game 4 performance behind them. If we protect home ice like we did earlier this series, we can send the series back to Detroit for game 7, and anything can happen in a game 7. We won a game at Joe Louis last year, so we can do it again. In a winner take all game 7, I'd rather have the team with the two best players in the world. First things first, though...let's take care of business on home ice on Tuesday. Last game to be played in Pittsburgh this season, so let's make it a special one.

RuthlessBurgher
06-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Shero is apparently considering bringing Petr Sykora back into the lineup. Memories of his OT winner against the Wings for our only win at Joe Louis in the Finals last year are still fresh in my mind.

Sykora a scoring option for Penguins
By Rob Rossi, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Nothing, nada, zero, a giant goose egg — any which way, the Penguins haven't gotten a goal from top-line wingers Bill Guerin and Chris Kunitz in the Stanley Cup Final. Still, coach Dan Bylsma insisted Monday after practice at Mellon Arena that his club can rally from a 3-2 deficit to Detroit in the best-of-seven series without Guerin or Kunitz scoring.

"Yes we can," he said. "We don't need them to score. We need our team to play well."

Actually, the Penguins need to do whatever they can tonight to win Game 6 at Mellon Arena. Otherwise, the Red Wings get the Cup, again.

Perhaps, then, Bylsma might consider reinserting into the lineup — somewhere — veteran right wing Petr Sykora, who has not played in 14 consecutive games dating to Game 2 of a second-round series against Washington.

Sykora, who netted 25 regular-season goals as a fixture on center Evgeni Malkin's line, scored in only 1-of-17 games prior to his removal from the lineup. Bylsma, however, said at the time that he was confident Sykora would again score a big goal for the Penguins in the postseason — like the one he tallied in triple overtime to win Game 5 of the Final last season.

That was Sykora's last playoff goal. Bylsma, his former teammate during days with Anaheim, said he has considered playing Sykora "every game from the time he hasn't played until now."

"We've certainly talked about different scenarios ... about what our team needs and what would help us win Game 6," he said. "And we're still talking about it."

RuthlessBurgher
06-09-2009, 09:59 PM
It's good to see Petr Gunn back out there. I don't mind Miroslav taking a seat. There is only room for one Satan on the ice wearing 81 on his back and that is Benedict Hossa.

Through two periods in game 6, they are controlling the action as much as they were during periods 2 and 3 of game 4. I just wish they were able to put up more of a cushion than just one goal.

Let's celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the day the Pens drafted Lemieux by sending this series back to Motown. The Steelers ended a 26 year drought without a championship in Detroit. The Penguins can end a 17 year drought without a championship in Detroit as well.

Discipline of Steel
06-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Good grief, glad thats over and we are going to 7. After we win that, we can look back at Staal's short-handed goal to tie game 4 as the turning point in the series.

Jigawatts
06-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Great win in a total team effort. Fleury played lights out. Scuderi saved the day on a
few occasions. Sykora pitched in with a nice defensive play. Both goals came from the
third line. You can't ask for anything more other than a blow out victory that would be
much better for my heart.

Only thing strange was Crosby logging less time than Talbot. :wft Oh well, a win's a win.
Let's hope the stars come out Friday night as well as the "role players."

RuthlessBurgher
06-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Solid game all around. Excellent defense and puck possession. Scuderi's three saves at the end (without putting his hand on the puck in the crease) were legendary...off the stick, off the shin, off the boot...and he was in perfect butterfly position for those kick saves!!!

I was even inspired to wear my old WB/S Pens autographed Brooks Orpik jersey (that my wife won in one of those "jersey off our back" promotions at the end of the season several years ago when Brooks was still in the AHL) to work today to commemorate the performance by unsung heroes like Orpik and Scuderi...even though the NBC guys were singing their praises at the end of the game last night (I have only ever worn a hockey jersey to work twice before, and it was my Talbot blue throwback after the series clinching wins against Washington and Carolina in this playoff).

So far, we have been in 2 potential elimination games (game 7 vs. Washington and game 6 vs. Detroit) and Fleury came up big by stoning Ovechkin on an early breakaway in the first game and by stoning Cleary on a late breakaway last night.

Although so far they haven't been able to beat us on our ice and we haven't been able to win on their ice, I'm not worried about home ice advantage in game 7. IT'S A GAME SEVEN!!! Anything can happen in a game 7. It's much more about heart and who wants it more at this point than who gets the last change or who puts their stick down first on faceoffs.

I'm not predicting a game like the clincher against the Caps, but I think our guys will be able to pull it off. Crosby and Malkin have another gear, and I think it shows up when we need it most, regardless of whether Zetterberg or Datszuk are shadowing them up and down the ice.

Steeler Expat
06-10-2009, 12:53 PM
I realize the Pens are big underdogs Thursday night and deservedly so. Still, the ESPN.com NHL main page headline would make a Penguin upset oh so sweet.

Missed Opportunity
Detroit is happy to have the chance to win the Cup on home ice. Still, the defending champs lost an opportunity to close out the series against a hungry Pens team.

RuthlessBurgher
06-10-2009, 01:14 PM
I realize the Pens are big underdogs Thursday night and deservedly so. Still, the ESPN.com NHL main page headline would make a Penguin upset oh so sweet.

Missed Opportunity
Detroit is happy to have the chance to win the Cup on home ice. Still, the defending champs lost an opportunity to close out the series against a hungry Pens team.

Yeah...Detroit is happy to have the chance to win the Cup on home ice. Whatever. We'll see how happy they are when Crosby is passing the Cup to Malkin on the Joe Louis ice. Payback is a bee-yotch.

I'm looking forward to Hossa's tears almost as much as Eric Cartman was craving Scott Tenorman's tears...If only we could convince Radiohead to sing the National Anthem at Joe Louis on Friday (not Thursday, by the way)..."Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness! Yummy!"

http://mikecs.net/prodigeek/images/1d21cff05029_A93F/south_park_scott_tenorman.jpg

Discipline of Steel
06-11-2009, 12:42 AM

Missed Opportunity

Yeah...Detroit is happy to have the chance to win the Cup on home ice. Whatever. We'll see how happy they are when Crosby is passing the Cup to Malkin on the Joe Louis ice. Payback is a bee-yotch.

I'm looking forward to Hossa's tears almost as much as Eric Cartman was craving Scott Tenorman's tears...If only we could convince Radiohead to sing the National Anthem at Joe Louis on Friday (not Thursday, by the way)..."Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness! Yummy!"

http://mikecs.net/prodigeek/images/1d21cff05029_A93F/south_park_scott_tenorman.jpg

Im sure Hossa is a big motivator for our guys. They cant possibly let HIM hoist the trophy!

buckeyehoppy
06-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Game 7 is going to be a war. It's going to be close and everyone is going to be drained after this one. Remember back to the first Pens/Wings matchup this season. It was a 7-6 win by the Pens in OT in Detroit. Don't be surprised if Game 7 is eerily similar to that outcome.

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Some interesting tidbits to digest leading up to tonight's game 7 while everyone and their grandmother is picking Detroit to win:

Pittsburgh has won 3 out of the last 4 game in this series, and they had legitimate shots to win either of the first two games as well. Outside of game 5 where the Penguins self-destructed with penalties, the Wings have not had a prolonged period of dominance against us like they did in the finals last year.

In their history, the Penguins have played in a game 7 on the road four times. The Penguins have won every time. The most recent example of this was the 6-2 drubbing of the Capitals in D.C. in round 2 of this year's playoffs.

If you look at the 3 American sports that decide their championship with a best-of-7 series (NHL with the Stanley Cup Finals, NBA with the NBA Finals, and MLB with the World Series), the last time a championship was won by the road team in a game 7, it was also a Pittsburgh team. The 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates won game 7 of the World Series in Baltimore.

Just how young are the key players for the Penguins? We often forget. Jordan Staal is 20, Sidney Crosby is 21, Evgeni Malkin is 22, and Marc-Andre Fleury is 24. For comparison's sake, let's look at the Steeler draft class in April that has not yet played a down of football in the NFL. Kraig Urbik, Keenan Lewis, Frank Summers, and A.Q. Shipley are all 23. Ziggy Hood, Mike Wallace, Joe Burnett, and Sonny Harris are all 22. David Johnson is 21. Does it seem odd that guys in the running for the Conn Smythe trophy are as young or younger than recent Steeler draft class? Staal and Malkin have played 3 years in the NHL already, Crosby 4 years, and Fleury 5 years (and it would have been 6 years for Fleury if not for the lockout season following his rookie year).

My prediction for tonight:

First Period
Ruslan Fedotenko scores. Pens 1-0.
Kirk Maltby scores. Tied 1-1.
Darren Helm scores. Wings 2-1.

Second Period
Evgeni Malkin scores. Tied 2-2.
Bill Guerin scores. Pens 3-2.
Pavel Datsyuk scores. Tied 3-3.
Chris Kunitz scores. Pens 4-3.
Henrik Zetterberg scores. Tied 4-4.

Third Period
Sidney Crosby scores. Pens 5-4.
Evgeni Malkin scores. Pens 6-4. Final.

Jigawatts
06-12-2009, 11:08 AM
I have to go out of town tonight and I probably won't get to log on here until Monday so
I'll say my piece now.

Well, it's been fun. A few months back when Bylsma was hired I expected the Pens to
make the playoffs, but I didn't think they would make it out of the second round, let alone make
it to game seven of the finals. But they built up some steam, got hot, and here we are.
I believe they are the better team and will bring home the cup. It's been a great season
and I hope Ruthless can finish his 16 wins thread.

Here's to watching game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals on a crappy hotel television. :evil:

frankthetank1
06-12-2009, 04:25 PM
gotta win tonight, its been way too long the pens have won the cup. i think they do it tonight. crosby and geno will come up with big games. LETS GO PENS!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2009, 11:47 PM
No words to express the feeling yet (other than the "Lord Stanley, Lord Stanley Bring Me The Brandy" from my other thread), so I will resort to pictures. I may have coherent thoughts about the game tomorrow (then again, maybe not)...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/nhl.stanley.cup.finals/images/max-talbot.c.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/nhl.stanley.cup.finals/images/cut.1.jpg

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2009-06-12/0613scelebrate-a.jpg

http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2009/06/061209_DET_PIT_bench2.jpg

http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2009/06/061209_DET_PIT_malkinSmythe.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/hockey/nhl/06/12/stanley.cup.final/sidney-crosby-2.jpg

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20090612/sid_82708.jpg

http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2009/06/061209_DET_PIT_crosbyCup2.jpg

http://penguins.nhl.com/ext/splash/Splash-page-CUP.jpg

http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2009/06/061209_DET_PIT_crosbyCup.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0612/nhl_u_crosby11_576.jpg

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2009-06-12/0613smax-a.jpg

http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2009/06/061209_DET_PIT_teamCup.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Still hard to find words. In the end, we didn't win because we had the two best players in the world. Our captain was forced to watch almost helplessly for more than half the game after being injured, so others had to step up. Defensive pressure from guys like Orpik, Scuderi, and Gill. Grit and determination from guys like Kennedy, Staal, and Cooke. Flower was the man in net, erasing the whole "out of the final four goalies, he is the only one without a Cup on his resume." And, of course, the ultimate contribution from the do-it-all Maxime Talbot, my favorite player from way back when he played a couple of seasons like a whirling dervish down with my hometown W-B/S Penguins in the AHL. He can center the fourth line or be a top-six winger. He can kill penalties or be the sixth skater brought onto the ice to score a tying goal with the goalie pulled. He can go down in flames early at the World Series of Poker, but still have a great time doing it. He makes the cheesiest commercials of all time, with his "Jiggy-Jiga" treatment and his self-proclaimed "Call Me Superstar" status, which he has now lived up to, and then some. He even posed with a Stanley Keg once upon a time (although I'm sure drinking out of the real thing last night was soooo much sweeter). Here's to my main man Mad Max...he may be more of a character than any other Pittsburgh athlete I can think of aside from Jeff Reed, and the two of those guys reportedly are great friends. Could you imagine spending a night on the town with those two whack-jobs? I wanted to pull my powder blue Talbot throwback out of the closet today, but I will wait until Monday for that so I can wear it to work instead.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_rVp1NiAnuvw/R6H3Ad4XkOI/AAAAAAAAAR4/hM-cijWSCWA/s400/reditalbotkeg.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/theondeckcircle/max1.jpg

http://www.newstalk650.com/files/u47/Talbot.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/theondeckcircle/max2.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IDCueHkN9dg/SO2GhUr9V6I/AAAAAAAABrk/rlAfgCVzIWM/s320/talbot.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fw7iF68JR8k/Ro8sn57i0UI/AAAAAAAAEUs/dom-wDSJ1og/s400/randylongo3.jpeg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2096/2513457779_5ed34a91fe.jpg

http://bp1.blogger.com/_ecXzac-ljd4/SI1EGsBo3HI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/B-ZPW1hbEPs/s400/3.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/nhl.stanley.cup.finals/images/max-talbot.c.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/nhl.stanley.cup.finals/images/cut.1.jpg

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2009-06-12/0613scelebrate-a.jpg

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2009-06-12/0613smax-a.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ecXzac-ljd4/SjMjqBK4RVI/AAAAAAAACqY/VL-HTWJwuig/S1600-R/5.jpg