PDA

View Full Version : Faneca's lying mouth opens again....

steelers43
05-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Faneca Warms Toward Idea Of A Rookie Starter
Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 26, 2009, 4:38 p.m.
New York Jets veteran offensive guard Alan Faneca has softened his stance about the prospects of playing with a rookie starting quarterback.

Years removed from venting when Ben Roethlisberger was thrust into the Pittsburgh Steelers’ starting lineup as a rookie due to Tommy Maddox getting hurt, Faneca is expected to react more favorably this time if Mark Sanchez is named the starter over Kellen Clemens, according to Bob Glauber of Newsday.

In 2004 when Roethlisberger joined the first-team offense, Faneca said, “No, it’s not exciting. Do you want to go to work with some little young kid who’s just out of college?”

Five years later, Faneca has reportedly mellowed and explained his past remarks during a recent interview.

“The starting quarterback goes down, everybody’s upset, and we’re just trying to make that jump and one of the reporters asks me if I was excited to have the young guy,” Faneca said. “As a veteran, I’m excited about winning the Super Bowl, not the young guys getting a chance. So, I went off a little bit.”

Now, Faneca is apparently open toward the idea of a rookie starter and will likely be choosing his words carefully when it comes to Sanchez, per the report.

Of course, there’s still the matter of ribbing Sanchez about his GQ Magazine pictorial.

“Oh yeah,” Faneca said. “We’ve been giving him a hard time.”

One of the photos is being used as a screen saver in the offensive team meeting room.

If winning SB's was truly his goal, he would have accepted the deal offered him but he was too busyi trying to get the most up front. Last laugh is on Faneca. He won't see the last year or two of that deal and we won without him.

Karma!

Oviedo
05-26-2009, 10:17 PM
The scumbag will never sniff a Super Bowl again. He can sit home and count his money and continue to try to act like he is a class act which is a joke. The guy is a big mouth blowhard and the fact that he played here doesn't change that.

steelers43
05-26-2009, 10:26 PM
The scumbag will never sniff a Super Bowl again. He can sit home and count his money and continue to try to act like he is a class act which is a joke. The guy is a big mouth blowhard and the fact that he played here doesn't change that.

If he gets cut after next season, he likely will lose money. He wanted headlines, not security. His agent had to get him a big signing bonus. He could have had a better shot at the hall with two SB's.

PSU_dropout43
05-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Dirty Sanchez? :lol:

Erik Ainge will win Jets' starting job.

steelers43
05-26-2009, 10:40 PM

I doubt that.

Mel Blount's G
05-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Faneca's horrid play in his last year here reflected how he felt about Ben and the rest of our organization imo. Enjoy the money Alan.

Wonder, if/when he goes to the HoF, if the Steeler org. will even want him to go in as a Steeler? Weren't there rumors that AF really p!ssed off the Rooney's? Besides, if Dirt doesn't get in then screw faneca. Hell, Shell before Faneca!! LC Greenwood, etc, etc...

BATMAN
05-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Fanecas play dropped off one or two season before his Steeler departure. The team knew it and they knew he wasn't worth the dollars required to keep him here and happy.

Best thing what I believe we all learned, we don't need him to win a Super Bowl he, needs our Steelers to win a Super Bowl. As one of the above mentioned, there are no more Super Bowls in his future.

I'm glad we didn't break the bank to keep him and then lose a choice player due to the lack of funds spent on an over the hill guy.

Chadman
05-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Even after a full season away we find ourselves debating the topics involving Alan Faneca.

It's old news. He got what he wanted, the Steelers got what they wanted (that extra ring..).

Everything else is....unimportant.

Alan Faneca was a fine Steeler. But, the Steelers have won just as many SB's post-Faneca as they did with him on the roster.

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Faneca's horrid play in his last year here reflected how he felt about Ben and the rest of our organization imo. Enjoy the money Alan.

Wonder, if/when he goes to the HoF, if the Steeler org. will even want him to go in as a Steeler? Weren't there rumors that AF really p!ssed off the Rooney's? Besides, if Dirt doesn't get in then screw faneca. Hell, Shell before Faneca!! LC Greenwood, etc, etc...

*I'm ducking to make sure I don't get hit in the head with the inevitable stlrz_d "You don't go into the HoF as a member of a specific team" post.* :lol:

stlrz d
05-27-2009, 11:20 AM

*I'm ducking to make sure I don't get hit in the head with the inevitable stlrz_d "You don't go into the HoF as a member of a specific team" post.* :lol:

My work here is done. :P

For the record, I don't think Faneca goes into the HoF.

costanza2k1
05-27-2009, 01:53 PM

I was getting ready to say he will make it as a Steeler with Renegade playing in the background. :)

Crash
05-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Alan Faneca will be in Canton. Guaranteed.

Alan Faneca still cares for friends, and the charity work he does in the city of Pittsburgh.

While Bill Cowher, one of 43's favorites quit on this team over money, and showed an entire country last night just how phony he is months after Mike Tomlin only needed two years (not 14) to win a Super Bowl.

Karma indeed.

flippy
05-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Faneca is a lock.

One of the best all time at his position.

But at the end of the day QBs and Defense win championships.

Interior Olinemen are just cogs in the machine.

PSU_dropout43
05-27-2009, 04:16 PM

I doubt that.
You don't agree?

The kid has talent and potential to be a franchise back, ala Matt Schaub.

Mel Blount's G
05-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I pretty much figured he was a lock and was kinda :stirpot

And I did know that players aren't inducted as per a certain team in the NFL, officially, but unofficially it's often a said or unsaid foregone conclusion and I do not like the idea of calling Faneca a "Steeler" Hall of Famer when more dedicated Steeler "greats" like Dirt have yet to receive that honor. I'm sure Faneca will be referred to as a Steeler HoF'er and not a Jet HoF'er and that bugs me because of some deserving Steeler greats who have been snubbed by that institute

flippy
05-27-2009, 04:30 PM
I pretty much figured he was a lock and was kinda :stirpot

And I did know that players aren't inducted as per a certain team in the NFL, officially, but unofficially it's often a said or unsaid foregone conclusion and I do not like the idea of calling Faneca a "Steeler" Hall of Famer when more dedicated Steeler "greats" like Dirt have yet to receive that honor. I'm sure Faneca will be referred to as a Steeler HoF'er and not a Jet HoF'er and that bugs me because of some deserving Steeler greats who have been snubbed by that institute

Heck Rod Woodson seems like a lesser Steeler to me since he helped the Rats win a championship. But in a way it was kinda sweet cause the real Browns won it all right after they left Cleveland.

For some strange reason, the Rats screwing over Cleveland in the process makes it better.

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Faneca is a lock.

One of the best all time at his position.

But at the end of the day QBs and Defense win championships.

Interior Olinemen are just cogs in the machine.

Dawson is a top 3 All Time center, and has yet to get serious consideration to the surprise of pretty much everyone but the voters.

Ray Guy is the best punter of all time, and he isn't in Canton either.

I have stopped calling people locks because of things like this.

Crash
05-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Part of Dawson's problem was he was good, and while on a good TEAM, they didn't advance anywhere except in 1995.

Faneca's been to 8 Pro Bowls, 6 time first team all pro, has a ring, and threw a big time block on a record breaking run in a Super Bowl.

Mike Munchak is in, John Hannah is in.

Faneca compares favorably to both, and has a ring to boot while they don't.

Chavezz
05-27-2009, 06:39 PM

Alan Faneca still cares for friends, and the charity work he does in the city of Pittsburgh.

While Bill Cowher, one of 43's favorites quit on this team over money, and showed an entire country last night just how phony he is months after Mike Tomlin only needed two years (not 14) to win a Super Bowl.

Karma indeed.

Faneca was a female dog (I hate censored boards sometimes). He "warmed" to the idea of a rookie because that rookie has more pull in NY than Faneca ever will and he knows it. If Faneca runs his mouth about Dirty Sanchez, he'll find himself on the outside looking in real quick.

Chavezz
05-27-2009, 06:40 PM
[quote="PSU_dropout43":3qrducvx]Dirty Sanchez? :lol:

I doubt that.
You don't agree?

The kid has talent and potential to be a franchise back, ala Matt Schaub.[/quote:3qrducvx]
Which is funny because 43 wanted to draft him in the 1st or 2nd rd AFTER we already had Ben...

Let's see if he denies it.

Crash
05-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Faneca was a female dog (I hate censored boards sometimes). He "warmed" to the idea of a rookie because that rookie has more pull in NY than Faneca ever will and he knows it. If Faneca runs his mouth about Dirty Sanchez, he'll find himself on the outside looking in real quick.

Faneca didn't say one word about Ben in 2004. He was half joking when he spoke.

But what you read, isn't what you can HEAR, if you were there.

I've heard the actual tape, it's nowhere near what people thought it was.

Faneca's passed the point in his career where he's worried about "pull".

Just playing well, making money, and preparing the HOF speech.

Chavezz
05-27-2009, 07:41 PM

Bull. I know he's one of your favorites but he was not remotely joking. He was ticked off that maddox went down and he had to block for a rookie.

Crash
05-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Of course he's going to be pissed off that his starter went down. Any real leader would be.

What would you want him to say? That he "really doesn't care" if his starter plays or not?

Like a certain WR said THIS SEASON about Ben?

Faneca's words were completely taken out of context in print.

Until you hear his words, you have no basis to comment on them.

Flasteel
05-27-2009, 10:09 PM

I think most of us heard the audio on that and Faneca was not even close to half-joking. I remember thinking at the time that he overreacted to a degree because Roethlisberger was our future and Maddox had already begun to fade. I understood where he was coming from but I thought he should have got behind his teammate rather than throw him under the proverbial bus.

As far as your last line...well Faneca may be making some money but whether he's playing well or not is pretty debatable and has been for awhile.

I didn't realize that he'd been asked to introduce anyone for induction into the Hall of Fame. Good for him.

Crash
05-28-2009, 12:19 AM
I think most of us heard the audio on that and Faneca was not even close to half-joking. I remember thinking at the time that he overreacted to a degree because Roethlisberger was our future and Maddox had already begun to fade. I understood where he was coming from but I thought he should have got behind his teammate rather than throw him under the proverbial bus

The audio from 2004 was never posted. Anywhere.

Faneca threw no one under the bus.

What cracks me up is people think Alan didn't care, and Alan didn't try in 2007.

And his being a "malcontent" only surfaced, after the worst guys on the OL (Colon and Starks) tried to deflect their poor play onto Faneca's shoulders when Faneca was long gone.

The NFLN is replaying Browns at Steelers 2007. Watch Faneca's actions, and Ben's words during and after Ben's 30 yard TD run.

Then I want people to say how much Alan didn't like him or how much Alan didn't care in 2007.

stlrz d
05-28-2009, 01:25 AM
I think most of us heard the audio on that and Faneca was not even close to half-joking. I remember thinking at the time that he overreacted to a degree because Roethlisberger was our future and Maddox had already begun to fade. I understood where he was coming from but I thought he should have got behind his teammate rather than throw him under the proverbial bus

What cracks me up is people think Alan didn't care, and Alan didn't try in 2007.

And his being a "malcontent" only surfaced, after the worst guys on the OL (Colon and Starks) tried to deflect their poor play onto Faneca's shoulders when Faneca was long gone.

The NFLN is replaying Browns at Steelers 2007. Watch Faneca's actions, and Ben's words during and after Ben's 30 yard TD run.

Then I want people to say how much Alan didn't like him or how much Alan didn't care in 2007.

I don't think anyone is saying Big Red didn't like Ben. What they're saying is he could have stood behind him in 2004 rather than saying what he said.

And I saw it many times on SportsCenter. There was no joking...he was pissed off.

I was excited when the Steelers drafted him (just about peed my pants when they showed the highlights of him at LSU and in one of them he wiped out 2 guys on a sweep) and was happy to have him on our team...but he's gone and wanted to be gone. He chased the money and will never win another ring...bully for him.

steelers43
05-28-2009, 02:24 AM
[quote="PSU_dropout43":u6rbtxws]Dirty Sanchez? :lol:

I doubt that.
You don't agree?

The kid has talent and potential to be a franchise back, ala Matt Schaub.
Which is funny because 43 wanted to draft him in the 1st or 2nd rd AFTER we already had Ben...

Let's see if he denies it.[/quote:u6rbtxws]

I wanted to draft him as a backup, not in the first round. You were half right.

steelers43
05-28-2009, 02:28 AM
[quote="PSU_dropout43":nnrc3b6m]Dirty Sanchez? :lol:

I doubt that.
You don't agree?

The kid has talent and potential to be a franchise back, ala Matt Schaub.[/quote:nnrc3b6m]

Is it your only mission in life to follow me from board to board? What a sad existence you lead.

steelers43
05-28-2009, 02:31 AM

Karma indeed.

Faneca may make it but he's sure not a lock.

What does Bill have to do with anything? Can you type one post and maintain focus.

Of course I loved the coach of my favorite team. Sorry you hated all 15 years but it fits your personality to be miserable. Good luck with all that. I have no intentions on rehashing anything with you. It's a waste of time.

Crash
05-28-2009, 03:42 AM
I was excited when the Steelers drafted him (just about peed my pants when they showed the highlights of him at LSU and in one of them he wiped out 2 guys on a sweep) and was happy to have him on our team...but he's gone and wanted to be gone. He chased the money and will never win another ring...bully for him.

He only "wanted to be gone" after it became apparent to him that they didn't want him.

When you offer a five time 1st team All Pro less than top 10 guard pay? All you are doing is trying to save face with the public by saying "we made an offer".

He was the odd man out with Ben and Troy needing new deals.

The Steelers mistake was they should have just told him that, instead of jerking his chain.

All that guaranteed money wasted on Mahan and Simmons (About $11.5 mil). They should have just given it to Alan and kept Kemo at RG.

What really ended this were the Bills and Browns giving Dockery and Steinbech the guaranteed money get did. Dockery has already been cut, and Steinbech may be next.

BURGH86STEEL
05-28-2009, 05:41 AM
The things people get hung up on. I think Faneca loved playing for the Steelers. Faneca did what was best for himself and his family. I think most of us would do the same. I think he is happy for the former teammates he played with for winning another SB. He is probably more concerned with how he can help the Jets do the same. Considering his age, he probably wont see the end of his contract. That is typical for a lot of older and younger players. That has nothing to do with karma.

In the grand scheme of things, his comments did not mean anything. Good thing they did not appear to bother Ben back then. Good thing those comments do not continue to haunt Ben today like they appear to bother some fans.

For myself, many fans, and the guys in the Steelers locker room, he will always be a Steeler.

Flasteel
05-28-2009, 06:32 AM

Wow. You either have the world's most selective memory or you've been involved in an accident with some kind of traumatic brain injury. Like D said, it was on Sports Center over and over. The best part is how you say the audio was never posted anywhere yet you heard it. Were you standing next to Big Red when he conducted the interview? From the way your jock sniffing this guy, it wouldn't shock me.

Nobody ever said that Faneca didn't like Ben or come to appreciate him as the quarterback of the team. I can even understand why he'd be upset about having a rookie starter; I don't think it's that big of a deal. You on the other hand must feel it damns him to the point where you need to fabricate certain facts and gloss the guy over.

If you think Faneca is a lock for Canton you are on crack. He may make it one day and who knows what's left in his tank to help cement that. But up to this point I don't think he's done what it takes. Making the Pro Bowl off reputation alone the past couple of years doesn't do a lot for him in that regard. He's been shown to be extremely one dimensional going back three years now and has struggled mightily in pass protection.

I appreciate Faneca's service to this team but the guy was all about the green and had a very short memory in terms of how he was treated by this organization. He completely tainted his career here in my opinion but I don't wish him any kind of ill will.

Chachi
05-28-2009, 07:53 AM
If winning SB's was truly his goal, he would have accepted the deal offered him but he was too busyi trying to get the most up front. Last laugh is on Faneca. He won't see the last year or two of that deal and we won without him.

Karma!

Fanica said, “As a veteran, I’m excited about winning the Super Bowl, not the young guys getting a chance"

You are (mis)interpreting, "If winning SB's was truly his goal"

Alan talked in the singular, you are assuming the plural.

It's funny, you even enlarged it .......and still read it wrong. :lol: :lol: :lol:

as a side note....WTF is Crash doing here?

His old lady kick him out of the house again?

Oviedo
05-28-2009, 08:15 AM

Karma!

Fanica said, “As a veteran, I’m excited about winning the Super Bowl, not the young guys getting a chance"

You are (mis)interpreting, "If winning SB's was truly his goal"

Alan talked in the singular, you are assuming the plural.

It's funny, you even enlarged it .......and still read it wrong. :lol: :lol: :lol:

as a side note....WTF is Crash doing here?

His old lady kick him out of the house again?

Faneca doesn't ever have to worry about winning another a Super Bowl because he won't. If just winning one was enough for him and he "checked that block" then that speaks volumes about why we are better with him gone.

Good player but he was a "me" player on a "we" team.

I do not think he anyway has a reserved spot in the HoF. If anything missing out on this last Steelers' Super Bowl victory may have cost him the "sure thing." That would be "poetic justice" IMO.

Chachi
05-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Faneca doesn't ever have to worry about winning another a Super Bowl because he won't. If just winning one was enough for him and he "checked that block" then that speaks volumes about why we are better with him gone.

I do not think he anyway has a reserved spot in the HoF. If anything missing out on this last Steelers' Super Bowl victory may have cost him the "sure thing." That would be "poetic justice" IMO.

So you wish such ill will on Larry Foote?

fezziwig
05-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Two Super Bowl wins would have made a plus to Fanecas HOF reseume.

Faneca was a crybaby IMO. Some stuff just doesn't need vented to the media or to the other players. If you want more money or out then fine, don't stir the pot with the team as your ingredients .

Also, the Rooneys do not keep players around that are not good for the locker room.

Oviedo
05-28-2009, 09:45 AM

So you wish such ill will on Larry Foote?

No wish of ill will since in my mind he doesn't exist anymore. If he fell off the face of the earth I could care less. Pretty much same view of all EX-Steelers who wanted to leave.

steelers43
05-28-2009, 10:18 AM
The things people get hung up on. I think Faneca loved playing for the Steelers. Faneca did what was best for himself and his family. I think most of us would do the same. I think he is happy for the former teammates he played with for winning another SB. He is probably more concerned with how he can help the Jets do the same. Considering his age, he probably wont see the end of his contract. That is typical for a lot of older and younger players. That has nothing to do with karma.

In the grand scheme of things, his comments did not mean anything. Good thing they did not appear to bother Ben back then. Good thing those comments do not continue to haunt Ben today like they appear to bother some fans.

For myself, many fans, and the guys in the Steelers locker room, he will always be a Steeler.

ehh, I disagree. He took the few extra million upfront and headlines of his guarantees instead of what the Steelers offered. What they offered isn't truly known but I imagine it was more than fair and a contract he likely would have finished, unlike his contract and years he could have finished here.

And moving to NY for a few extra bucks, moving your family for a few years, etc. might not be the best for the kids, school, etc.

If you ask me his agent got in his head and instead of a fair deal for the long term, he got him thinking get an upfront deal, even if somewhere else.

Basically, he could have played here 5 years imo. He'll play 3, maybe 4 in NY.

steelers43
05-28-2009, 10:21 AM

He only "wanted to be gone" after it became apparent to him that they didn't want him.

When you offer a five time 1st team All Pro less than top 10 guard pay? All you are doing is trying to save face with the public by saying "we made an offer".

He was the odd man out with Ben and Troy needing new deals.

The Steelers mistake was they should have just told him that, instead of jerking his chain.

All that guaranteed money wasted on Mahan and Simmons (About $11.5 mil). They should have just given it to Alan and kept Kemo at RG.

What really ended this were the Bills and Browns giving Dockery and Steinbech the guaranteed money get did. Dockery has already been cut, and Steinbech may be next.

You don't know the contract details. You only know what Faneca said. Top 10 what? Upfront signing bonus? Total deal worth? First three years?

You don't know. Stop speculating.

Oviedo
05-28-2009, 11:00 AM
It all gets back to how many millions are enough. Guys like Faneca have more than enough money to live three very comfiotable lifetimes. It's not like he was ever a marginal player who may only be in the league for a couple years at minimum salary (which by the way most of us would kill for). At some point it is about greed and ego and Faneca willingly went to that dark side.

I guess it would be tough knowing you could only buy your kid a new Jag every two years versus every year. Why would anyone want to make those sacrifices?

stlrz d
05-28-2009, 11:35 AM
It all gets back to how many millions are enough. Guys like Faneca have more than enough money to live three very comfiotable lifetimes. It's not like he was ever a marginal player who may only be in the league for a couple years at minimum salary (which by the way most of us would kill for). At some point it is about greed and ego and Faneca willingly went to that dark side.

I guess it would be tough knowing you could only buy your kid a new Jag every two years versus every year. Why would anyone want to make those sacrifices?

QFT.

ikestops85
05-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Faneca was a steeler and a damn good one while he was here. I don't care that he took more money to go to the Jets. The only thing that bothered me was some of the statements he made to the media whining about this or that. That has tarnished his reputation somewhat in my mind. I feel that same way about Carnell Lake who was one of my all time favorite players. Then once he left he started bad mouthing the Steeler organization and my admiration for him lessened.

Who knows whether Faneca will get elected to the HOF. I don't think much of the HOF just because of the politics involved and how deserving players don't make it. Players like Dawson and Greenwood. Even non-steeler players like Ken Riley and Kenny Anderson of the Bengals. I think Riley is 3rd all time in interceptions and John Stallworth considered him one of the best corners he faced. So, if Faneca has made enough friends amongst the Hall voters he has a shot. Do I think he has had a HOF career? That would be a resounding YES! The guy is a player.

fezziwig
05-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Was Faneca worth the money he is now getting ? I don't think so.
For sure the Steelers didn't think so either.
Faneca was great while he was here but his play declined the last couple of years with the Steelers. Can I fault him for going after the money ? No.
If money was all his concerns then he got what he wanted. I just don't like the type of players like him that uses the media or locker room to air their issues.
Me, I let people know how I feel and what I would want. After that I would see the outcome, keep my mouth shut and move on.
My opinion is, Faneca is on his way down as a player and Kemo is on his way up and for less money at the time.

Side bar: Did any of you hear during last season Warren Sapps make the comment, ? " Kemo is the worse guard that he has ever seen, looks lost, doesn't know his blocking assignments and so on. "

He's no HOF canidate at this time but I thought he improved through the season.

Crash
05-28-2009, 01:48 PM
If you think Faneca is a lock for Canton you are on crack. He may make it one day and who knows what's left in his tank to help cement that. But up to this point I don't think he's done what it takes

John Hannah: 9-time Pro Bowler & 7-time first-team All-Pro.

Mike Munchak: 9-time Pro Bowler & 2-time first-team All-Pro.

They are in the HOF, they have no rings.

Gene Upshaw: 7-time Pro Bowler & 5-time first-team All-Pro, 2 rings.

Alan Faneca: 8-time Pro Bowler & 6-time first-team All-Pro, 1 ring.

"Help cement that"? I think Faneca's already cemented his bust when you compare him to the three others who are already in the Hall.

Crash
05-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I just don't like the type of players like him that uses the media or locker room to air their issues.

So you also hate #86 then, right?

Because he uses the media and locker room as his own personal TV station, and he refused to go to work in 2005 while under contract.

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2009, 02:14 PM
If you think Faneca is a lock for Canton you are on crack. He may make it one day and who knows what's left in his tank to help cement that. But up to this point I don't think he's done what it takes

"Help cement that"? I think Faneca's already cemented his bust when you compare him to the three others who are already in the Hall.

Then why is Dwight Stephenson, a 5 time Pro Bowler and 5 time All-Pro in the Hall of Fame when Dermontti Dawson, a 7 time Pro Bowler and 6 time All-Pro not?

I thought Dawson was a lock. He was not. The voting committee loves QB's, WR's, and RB's, and ignores some of the best interior o-linemen of all time. That is just the way it is.

Oviedo
05-28-2009, 02:22 PM

Then why is Dwight Stephenson, a 5 time Pro Bowler and 5 time All-Pro in the Hall of Fame when Dermontti Dawson, a 7 time Pro Bowler and 6 time All-Pro not?

I thought Dawson was a lock. He was not. The voting committee loves QB's, WR's, and RB's, and ignores some of the best interior o-linemen of all time. That is just the way it is.
Ignoring interior linemen will become more of a frequent case since OT has now become the OL glamour position. The vast majority of the linemen going into the HoF in the future will be Tackles. Centers will also get more love than Guards.

Crash
05-28-2009, 02:34 PM

I don't know. Dirt's done enough to warrant induction. That's not the issue.

The issue here is when people say Faneca HASN'T done enough yet.

Like Dawson does, Faneca compares favorably to his peers that are in the Hall.

I mean c'mon, Mike Webster who was on the 75th Anniversary team, didn't even make first ballot. Dan freaking Dierdorf, who never won a playoff game, made the Hall before Webby did.

fezziwig
05-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I just don't like the type of players like him that uses the media or locker room to air their issues.

So you also hate #86 then, right?

Because he uses the media and locker room as his own personal TV station, and he refused to go to work in 2005 while under contract.

I didn't think he followed the correct course either with his outburst. I never said hate, I mentioned my dislike for their ways of venting. They should just be a little more team friendly with stuff like this. I'm not saying they made a circus of things like T.O or C.J to name a couple. Things like this can bring division or disrupt the goals of a team.
All in all, we haven't had too many players in the past that made their personal beefs a media frenzy. Actually, I don't recall any past Steelers ever making constant headlines of their gripes that I recall. I do remember Mike Merriweather being un-happy but I don remember if it got out of hand or not through the media. Maybe you guys remember some circumstance.

Some other Steelers that left with grudges or didn't get resigned because of indifferences were to me:

Eric Greene
Adrian Cooper
Mike Merriweather
Bubby Brister
Scott Cambell
Leon Searcy
Barry Foster
Donald Evans
Not sure about Kevin Greeen or Gary Anderson

Just my opinion, I thought these guys left with feeling they weren't treated or paid as well as they should have been.

Chachi
05-28-2009, 04:36 PM

Just like Larry Foote.

Why no hate for him?

Oh, that's right, Larry "doesn't exist anymore".

BURGH86STEEL
05-28-2009, 06:14 PM

ehh, I disagree. He took the few extra million upfront and headlines of his guarantees instead of what the Steelers offered. What they offered isn't truly known but I imagine it was more than fair and a contract he likely would have finished, unlike his contract and years he could have finished here.

And moving to NY for a few extra bucks, moving your family for a few years, etc. might not be the best for the kids, school, etc.

If you ask me his agent got in his head and instead of a fair deal for the long term, he got him thinking get an upfront deal, even if somewhere else.

Basically, he could have played here 5 years imo. He'll play 3, maybe 4 in NY.

Ehhh, a few extra million up front is a lot of money in a sport where a career can end on one play. Maybe he did not think the money the Steelers offered him was fair? Fans cannot decide for a player what is fair. A lot of times, fans want to put themselves in the players shoes, as fans. There is no guarantee that he would of finished his career as a Steeler if he signed an extension. One injury or a slip in play and Faneca would of been cut. I cannot blame the guy for taking a reported 21 million in guaranteed money.

It is not up to fans to decide what is in the best interest of players or their families. I think this an example of fans being fans and not looking at things as business decision. Maybe he got an endorsement deal by becoming a Jet? Sometimes, fans take things to personally. Maybe he did not move his family to NY? Did he live in Pittsburgh during the off season? How do you know his agent got into his head? Even if the agent did, he was only doing his job. How many people do you know that decline a 21 mil up front? I don't think the Steelers came close to offering him that kind of money up front. You really cannot guarantee that he would of played out a 5 year contract with the Steelers. If he plays out his contract with the Jets, he will make more money than he would of with the Steelers.

Faneca is a Jet now. More power to him. I can care less what he stated about the organization, players, or the fans. It really does not matter. Sometimes, fans take things to personally. Gotta let go of the petty stuff.

Chavezz
05-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Remember when Grimm Jr. stepped down from his captains position? Team. Leader.

Crash
05-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Faneca didn't live in Pittsburgh all off season, but he did live in the same home during the year for nine years.

He never wanted to leave. In fact he tried to get his deal re-worked in 2005 probably as a "career ending contract" and he was told to wait.

He was also upset at their unwillingness to discuss the offer, now if Faneca was willing to discuss the offer doesn't that mean he wanted to stay?

Some people who are mad at Faneca for taking the Jets money are the same people who defended #86 when he held out while under contract.

A little consistency wouldn't hurt on these issues.

Mel Blount's G
05-28-2009, 07:28 PM

Just like Larry Foote.

Why no hate for him?

Oh, that's right, Larry "doesn't exist anymore".
Maybe I missed something. Not sure how you came to compare Foote's being released with Faneca's signing elsewhere? Larry just wanted to play, not be a back up. That's not greed so much as it is wanting to be a central part of the action and not a part-time bystander. Maybe even tougher for Larry if he felt (and I do not know if he did) that the job was handed away (by his bosses) from him and not taken away (legitimately beaten out by Timmons) from him. Alan wanted more money than we were offering. Larry just wanted to play. There is really little or no comparison between the two situations.

Crash
05-28-2009, 07:30 PM

I remember when Alan Faneca said it would serve no purpose to be a team captain if he wasn't going to be here long term.

And he's right. If he (or any other player) were going to go, it had to be someone else to take that mantle of leadership.

Faneca was a team captain for three years, they let him walk.

Carnell Lake was a team leader for years. Willingly moved to corner numerous times when free agents added flamed out. Always stood by the team and how they did business when they were getting ripped by the public for their free agency ways.

And they let him walk.

The Steelers cut Levon Kirkland, and not only was he a team captain for the previous three seasons, they didn't even have the courtesy to call him. Ed Bouchette told him instead.

So being a captain hasn't always been that important to the front office in regards to a player.

Chavezz
05-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Faneca didn't live in Pittsburgh all off season, but he did live in the same home during the year for nine years.

He never wanted to leave. In fact he tried to get his deal re-worked in 2005 probably as a "career ending contract" and he was told to wait.

He was also upset at their unwillingness to discuss the offer, now if Faneca was willing to discuss the offer doesn't that mean he wanted to stay?

Some people who are mad at Faneca for taking the Jets money are the same people who defended #86 when he held out while under contract.

A little consistency wouldn't hurt on these issues.

I know you'd like to make this a money issue but it's not. No one (most people) don't blame him for going for the cash grab. People blame him for his emotional outbursts the times he didn't get his way especially when you factor in the declined play.

Chavezz
05-28-2009, 07:39 PM

I remember when Alan Faneca said it would serve no purpose to be a team captain if he wasn't going to be here long term.

And he's right. If he (or any other player) were going to go, it had to be someone else to take that mantle of leadership.

Faneca was a team captain for three years, they let him walk.

Carnell Lake was a team leader for years. Willingly moved to corner numerous times when free agents added flamed out. Always stood by the team and how they did business when they were getting ripped by the public for their free agency ways.

And they let him walk.

The Steelers cut Levon Kirkland, and not only was he a team captain for the previous three seasons, they didn't even have the courtesy to call him. Ed Bouchette told him instead.

So being a captain hasn't always been that important to the front office in regards to a player.

Sounds like a lot of excuses for a favorite player to me. It's ok most of us do it, you just fail to admit it.

Crash
05-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Sounds like a lot of excuses for a favorite player to me. It's ok most of us do it, you just fail to admit it

What excuse? Don't tell me how important it is to be a team captain when the Steelers have proven themselves they don't really value them.

To not even call Levon on the phone? After nine years? Shameful.

Chachi
05-29-2009, 01:15 AM
Maybe I missed something. Not sure how you came to compare Foote's being released with Faneca's signing elsewhere? Larry just wanted to play, not be a back up. That's not greed so much as it is wanting to be a central part of the action and not a part-time bystander. Maybe even tougher for Larry if he felt (and I do not know if he did) that the job was handed away (by his bosses) from him and not taken away (legitimately beaten out by Timmons) from him. Alan wanted more money than we were offering. Larry just wanted to play. There is really little or no comparison between the two situations.

This was one of the quotes tossed about,

At some point it is about greed and ego and Faneca willingly went to that dark side.

Fanaca said, "This is what I want to be paid." The Steelers said, "This is what we will pay you." He said no. This is greed and ego apparently. The "Dark Side".

During SB week Foote declared, "I will not take a pay cut". In essence, he said, "This is what I want to be paid." The Steelers said, "This is what we will pay you."(ie. Pay cut) This sounds pretty greedy to me, especially taking into account Fanaca's pay cut, ie. "restructure" in '05. If Alan could do a restructure for the team, why couldn't Foote?

Foote also has the ego to demand being a starter. Sure, he'd like to be a starter, but he could be just as important, if not more valuable, as a backup in case of injury. Doesn't sound like Larry put the team ahead of his ego.

People are giving Fanaca crap for not being a cumbaya-all-for-the-team, SBs above all player when Larry did what Fanaca did, put money and self interest before the team. No one has given Larry any gruff.

As Crash said, "A little consistency wouldn't hurt on these issues."

Mel Blount's G
05-29-2009, 02:04 AM
I hear you chachi but I still do not see them as equal comparisons. Sayng you will not accept a pay cut is not the same egoism as demanding a pay raise imo. I wouldn't go as far as saying Larry doesn't have an ego and that it wasn't involved with his decision to play elsewhere, a place where he'd start. Not to mention the place he was born and raised and calls "home". And he doesn't seem to be leaving on poor terms with the team - the fo, coaches or his teammates. I don't think that was the case with Alan. In fact, pay raise, cut, restructure, whatever may have been a moot point if the Rooney's were really fed up with Alan as rumor has it

In any case, I will step back and admit that maybe I'm being a little harsh on AF. He gave us some great years and was a major piece, if not THEE major piece, of cowher's smashmouth offense. I just wished he didn't do whatever he did to p!ss off the Rooney's and seemingly leave on bad terms with parts of our organization. I wish he could have been a little more cooperative/receptive when the team experienced some major changes - Ben coming in, Cowher leaving and the non-employing of Whiz and Grim - rolled with it and still put out maximum effort

Chachi
05-29-2009, 09:11 AM
I hear you chachi but I still do not see them as equal comparisons. Sayng you will not accept a pay cut is not the same egoism as demanding a pay raise imo. I wouldn't go as far as saying Larry doesn't have an ego and that it wasn't involved with his decision to play elsewhere, a place where he'd start. Not to mention the place he was born and raised and calls "home". And he doesn't seem to be leaving on poor terms with the team - the fo, coaches or his teammates. I don't think that was the case with Alan. In fact, pay raise, cut, restructure, whatever may have been a moot point if the Rooney's were really fed up with Alan as rumor has it

In any case, I will step back and admit that maybe I'm being a little harsh on AF. He gave us some great years and was a major piece, if not THEE major piece, of cowher's smashmouth offense. I just wished he didn't do whatever he did to p!ss off the Rooney's and seemingly leave on bad terms with parts of our organization. I wish he could have been a little more cooperative/receptive when the team experienced some major changes - Ben coming in, Cowher leaving and the non-employing of Whiz and Grim - rolled with it and still put out maximum effort

It was indeed an unfortunate situation, but as rumor has it, understandable for both sides.

What Alan did to "p!ss off the Rooney's" is in direct relation to the Rooney's "screwing" Alan in 05 by telling him, "Instead of signing you to a new, long term, back loaded deal to get our cost savings we need now and make you happy till you end your career, just take the pay cut now and we'll take care of you later."

Alan held up his part, the Rooney's did not and Alan lashed out. People wouldn't be upset had the situation been like Foote's, with a better player ready to take over for Alan. As I see it, that is one of the only difference between Larry and Alan's similar situations. Had Alan been all about "greed and ego" he could have easily said in 05, "No pay cut, I want a new deal or I am out of here." He didn't, based on the belief the FO would "take care of him later". But the FO didn't, rumor having it their offer wasn't even top 10 money for his positon.

It is all because of the 05 situation that everything snowballed from there. Had that not happened, and Alan was just up for his "regular" resigning, Alan may still have bolted to another team (as the FO is not exactly known for resigning 31 yr old linemen at top market value), but the animosity between him and the FO surely would not have been there. The story would have been like so many other Steeler stories of the past, "Aging All Pro, and long time Steeler, wants more money than FO is wiling to pay." Film at 11.

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Fanaca's pay cut, ie. "restructure" in '05

A restructure is not a pay cut. The player gets the same amount of money they were supposed to get in a given year, they just get most of it up front in the form of a signing bonus with a minimal amount in the week-to-week paycheck (but the total value remains the same). This helps a team's present cap situation by spreading the cap value out over the remaining years of the contract, even though the player gets the same amount of money. Ike Taylor did that this offseason. He did not take a pay cut by any means.

ikestops85
05-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Fanaca's pay cut, ie. "restructure" in '05

A restructure is not a pay cut. The player gets the same amount of money they were supposed to get in a given year, they just get most of it up front in the form of a signing bonus with a minimal amount in the week-to-week paycheck (but the total value remains the same). This helps a team's present cap situation by spreading the cap value out over the remaining years of the contract, even though the player gets the same amount of money. Ike Taylor did that this offseason. He did not take a pay cut by any means.

I agree ... I believe a restructure needs union approval if it is for less money. Players generally like it because it's usually for more total dollars and includes a signing bonus.

Crash
05-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I just wished he didn't do whatever he did to p!ss off the Rooney's and seemingly leave on bad terms with parts of our organization. I wish he could have been a little more cooperative/receptive when the team experienced some major changes - Ben coming in, Cowher leaving and the non-employing of Whiz and Grim - rolled with it and still put out maximum effort

Who said DURING 2007 that Faneca DIDN'T put out "maximum effort"?

Tomlin didn't.

Zeirlien didn't.

His teammates didn't.

Who did?

Flasteel
05-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Great thread guys. Obviously there are some passionate opinions on both sides of this issue, yet all parties are able to state their case with minimum vitriol. Hell, I might have thrown out the most inflammatory comments in all five pages.

I just wanted to say that it's a real pleasure to be able to debate these kinds of issues with such a level-headed (albeit sometimes completely wrong) audience. :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Great thread guys. Obviously there are some passionate opinions on both sides of this issue, yet all parties are able to state their case with minimum vitriol. Hell, I might have thrown out the most inflammatory comments in all five pages.

I just wanted to say that it's a real pleasure to be able to debate these kinds of issues with such a level-headed (albeit sometimes completely wrong) audience. :tt2

This just in...Flasteel is a doodiehead...That is all. :mrgreen:

Chavezz
05-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I just wished he didn't do whatever he did to p!ss off the Rooney's and seemingly leave on bad terms with parts of our organization. I wish he could have been a little more cooperative/receptive when the team experienced some major changes - Ben coming in, Cowher leaving and the non-employing of Whiz and Grim - rolled with it and still put out maximum effort

Who said DURING 2007 that Faneca DIDN'T put out "maximum effort"?

Tomlin didn't.

Zeirlien didn't.

His teammates didn't.

Who did?

No one said he didn't put out max effort. It's just his skill declined. I can go out there and give 100% but that doesn't mean that I'll be worth top 10 money on a NEW contract. (It's funny how he forgets that he was a top 3 paid G during his last contract).

Just because his teammates didn't throw him under the bus, like he did on certain occasions doesn't mean it's not true. It's all on tape. His pass blocking sucked. Run blocking was average to moderately above average.

steelcityrules!!
05-31-2009, 09:14 AM
At 10,000 feet looking at all of the aformentioned player contract scenarios, I think one thing we can all agree on is that the FO is typically not in the business of bending or breaking it's own policies on contracts. They have shown time and time again, even with aging but still ultra-talented players, they will not cave due to star power. Are they always 100% looking out for the interests of each player and his livelihood? absolutely not. They have the most successful NFL franchise in history to look after, players continuously come and go.

This doesn't mean they always make the right decision, no team does. But, when they are confronted with a larry foote who won't take a pay cut, they either attempt to trade him or just cut him. When they are in conversations with Faneca about his contract, and his play declines over the next season or two... are they going to "do the right thing" and dump tons of extra cash on him anyways? No. He gets grumpy, situation stalemates, and they part ways. In the end, the franchise wins. We have cash to sign more role players and younger stars.

I have always said the difference between hines and faneca were quite large. The previous contracts both had due to their performance were wildly different. The life-span and projected value of the range of pay they were talking about were definitely different, and the true desire of hines to be a steeler for life were evident. As much as hines whines and cries, it shows his love for this team and it's ownership.

Steel Life
05-31-2009, 11:36 AM
My thought is this...Alan's dissatisfaction with his contract hit a high note when he saw all the other OG's getting huge contracts - unfortunately it just happened when his level of play was dropping off, hence the team's position. Add to that his propensity to go public with his thoughts & it was a situation certain to end badly - we all know ownership doesn't play that way. And they don't hamstring the team with bad long-term contracts & Alan's would've been just that. Now you can counter with the contracts of Farrior's, Hines & possibly Deebo's, but I think we all know that Farrior & Hines will never see the end of those contracts & were structured as such. As for Deebo, I think they're banking on his late bloomer status & it's not as limiting as initially reported anyway.

Regardless, I think this is a classic example of player misjudging his value or worth to the team & overplaying his hand. Personally, I couldn't be happier to have won a Super Bowl without him & hope to see him struggle with a rookie QB.

fezziwig
06-02-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't mind or fault a guy going for the money. I like money, comfort and a security blanket for my future as much as the next guy. I just don't thnk Faneca had taken the high road when it came to making public his gripes. I know Hines did it too, I don't remember him being so vocal as Faneca, maybe I'm wrong. The reason why Hines doesn't get the anger or negative press like Faneca, Hines remained with the team. Hines wasn't showing any signs of missing a beat like Faneca.
Fanecas play has dropped off in my opinion and I'm sure Hines isn't the player he was three years ago but, when a lineman starts going south, it shows more often and more people like Ben and the running game suffer along with it.

Jerrome wasn't a bowl of cherries his first re-sign. I remember exactly where I was driving when he was intervied or they played an audio of an interview with the Bus over his up and coming signing. The interviewer asked Jerrome if he thinks he is asking too much and the possibilities of him taking less to remain a Steeler. Jerrome answered back, " the Rooneys have lots of money, lots of money. They want me they're going to have to let go of some of their money to keep me. " Believe me, during his interview his tone of voice was all about him holding his ground. I thought at that time, the Rooneys are not going to like his answers or attitude.
Just my guess, I bet the Rooneys sat down with him after that and explained things like this. " Jerrome, your our guy and we want you to be the face of the Steelers. With this we will pay you well, put you over the top as of a Pittsburgh Steeler and city icon. What we ask of you is this, Be a team player, an inspiration to the locker room, put your best foot forward in public. " Just my guess or take on how the Steelers wanted to profile him.

I don't think they feel the same way about Willie Parker. they probably now see Ben in that spotlight that Jerrome once stood in.

Crash
06-03-2009, 03:36 AM
I know Hines did it too, I don't remember him being so vocal as Faneca, maybe I'm wrong.

There is no maybe about it, you are wrong.

Amazing how Faneca only began to decline AFTER he ran his mouth ONCE.

#86 has been in decline for four years. But he stayed and he smiles so everyone lets it slide.

BURGH86STEEL
06-03-2009, 06:38 AM
I know Hines did it too, I don't remember him being so vocal as Faneca, maybe I'm wrong.

#86 has been in decline for four years. But he stayed and he smiles so everyone lets it slide.

I read somewhere that the Jet's run game got better with the addition of Faneca. Fergasun's play improved being next to Faneca. Faneca may not be the player he was in his prime. He is still better than any Olineman the Steelers have. He is also better than most guards in the league. There are other factors to consider but the Steelers run game seemed to miss him last year.

Guess it is typical of some fans to think less of players after those players leave their favorite team. People said the same thing about Hope, Porter, and other players really good players after they left. Sometimes, people take players leaving to personally and kind of trash them. A lot fans should realize that most players are nothing more than hired mercenaries in today's sports landscape. Kind of funny but a lot Steeler's fans can turn on players from game to game.

Chavezz
06-03-2009, 02:53 PM

OK so you admit that Faneca's play declined and that he ran his mouth. So now continue your epiphany and follow your logic and say that Faneca is a douchebag and a me first player.

I mean that's the same attitude that you have toward Ward right? To take a quote from your book...

"All I ask is that you hold the same standard for for every player."

Me thinks that you have a double standard toward #66.

fezziwig
06-03-2009, 08:07 PM

He declined before he ran his mouth, Of course at a certain age everyone will decline. I just don't feel breaking the bank for a player on the way down in his career would have been the right move. I guess the Steelers agreed.

O-linemen in my opinion age or injure different from receivers but, what positions can you compare that don't ? O and D linemen in my opinion hit a wall at a certain point, just like runningbacks. Receivers of age can always be found on a team as a second line of defense if needed for third downs or to take the place of an injured starter. O-linemen are crucial in my opinion and the younger ones need developed. All additional reasons why faneca is gone.
Maybe the Jets did get better with faneca, I don't watch them so I can't say. I did watch one Jets game last season and faneca did not stand out so positive.
Again, I don't know what the Jets O-line was like prior to Faneca. What is the benchmark for their improvement ? Maybe practically any new addition to the O-line would have made them better.

Hartwig is no god to football, just better than Mayhan. We won without Faneca so why is everyone still hung up on him still ?
Crash, I really don't think you have much of an issue about Faneca or anyone that post their comments about him, I just think this is your chance to cut up and knock Ward.

I wasn't happy about Wards non team or outburst attitude at the time. I am glad he is still on our team and has taken a wage that he and the Steelers could live with and still win a Super Bowl.

Crash
06-03-2009, 10:34 PM
OK so you admit that Faneca's play declined and that he ran his mouth.

Look up.

Right over your head.