PDA

View Full Version : Sides far apart on Starks' deal

fordfixer
05-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Harris: Sides far apart on Starks' deal

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, May 23, 2009

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 26501.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_626501.html)

Max Starks isn't seeking sympathy, because he knows he isn't worthy. Not with gas prices rising along with unemployment, and foreclosures becoming an American staple.

Starks will earn $8.4 million next season to play left tackle as the Steelers' franchise player.

Coupled with last year's $6.9 million salary as the team's transition player, Starks will earn a mind-boggling $15.3 million over two years.

Given that the Steelers rarely throw around money like drunken sailors on leave, Starks must be a pretty valuable commodity. And while $15.3 million should be more than enough for Starks to live on for the rest of his life, he is a professional football player in the prime of his career, playing a game where multi-million dollar contracts are the norm.

Starks is merely playing by the rules.

"It's about contracts or guaranteed money,'' Starks said.

The Steelers decided to pay Starks like a Pro Bowl left tackle, effectively knocking their salary cap out of whack.

But even after spending so much money on a player who didn't open the 2008 season in the starting lineup, Starks' future with the Steelers remains uncertain.

The Steelers designated Starks as their franchise player with the purpose of signing him to a long-term deal. Starks, however, said the sides are far apart. Per team policy, the Steelers don't comment on player negotiations.

"It appears to be at a standstill," Starks said. "I thought I was a priority before. Then, they did James Harrison's deal when he had one year left. So apparently, I'm a lower man on the totem pole than I thought."

Starks isn't blameless. The Steelers will make him one of the NFL's highest-paid linemen this season. Starks could give the Steelers a "hometown'' discount and accept a multi-year contract averaging less than the $8.45 salary he will receive as a franchise player. But business, after all, is business.

"For me, it's more about the security aspect," said Starks, 27. "A lot of guys want to be somewhere securely more than paid very well for a finite amount of time. I've signed one-year deals for the last three years and haven't been offered a multi-year deal yet. You wonder: You like me enough not to lose me. Do you like me enough to keep me long term?"

Will Starks remain with the Steelers beyond 2009? Based on the apparent stalemate in negotiations, that doesn't seem likely.

"They don't (negotiate) during the season," Starks said. "Time is of the essence to get it done before the season.

"It's not all about money."

Truth be told, it's always about the money. It just so happens the Steelers are offering less than Starks will accept.

frankthetank1
05-23-2009, 09:23 AM
man i kinda hate max starks. what a little beyotch. "i thought i was a priority" please. when he starts making the pro bowl on a regular basis and dominates like harrison then he can complain. he happens to play a position that is hard to find talent at and the steelers have no other real options. they have been more than generous to him. it seems to me he is a pretty selfish guy.

ramblinjim
05-23-2009, 09:47 AM
I don't blame Max for wanting his money. sure. It's a business and he has to look out for himself.

But here's hoping that Tony Hills or someone plays awfully well this year in spot duty and is ready to take over next year. Let Max go play somewhere with turf like St. Louis and see how he plays on a really fast field. I think I'd take Deebo in that matchup.

Oviedo
05-23-2009, 10:28 AM
You reach a point where it isn't about the rules, contracts, etc. and it becomes about greed. How many millions is enough for Max and his children and their children not to have a financial worry in the world.

The Steelers have already financially set Max up with enough for three lifetimes.

phillyesq
05-23-2009, 11:03 AM
man i kinda hate max starks. what a little beyotch. "i thought i was a priority" please. when he starts making the pro bowl on a regular basis and dominates like harrison then he can complain. he happens to play a position that is hard to find talent at and the steelers have no other real options. they have been more than generous to him. it seems to me he is a pretty selfish guy.

I agree -- that comment really irritated me as well.

steelz09
05-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Man, I hate Starks' attitude sometimes. He's getting overpaid and he's crying about it.

That past two years, he's been getting paid Pro Bowl LT money and he's not even close to that. Harrison has proven his worth, Starks hasn't. Yes, he earned it by losing his RT job to Williie Colon (!!) and wouldn't have started at LT if it wasn't for Marvel's injuries.

I would love to see Hills step up and take Starks' job. That way we can get this greedy, slow footed LT off our team and use the money on the likes of Holmes, Miller, etc. Players that have proven their worth by solid play.

If it weren't for the lack of depth, he would be already off the team. If he isn't resigned before the season, thats a good sign for Hills. He'll be our starter in 2010.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Memo to Max: The team has watched James Harrison abuse you in head-to-head matchups in practice for the past several seasons. Did you wonder why he was a higher priority to re-sign when he was running right past you to the quarterback?

pittpete
05-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Some of these posts make me laugh.
Put yourselves in a professional athletes shoes and tell me you wouldnt want to be paid the maximum amount of $$$.
Its a business,plain and simple.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Some of these posts make me laugh.
Put yourselves in a professional athletes shoes and tell me you wouldnt want to be paid the maximum amount of $$$.
Its a business,plain and simple.

Yeah...he wants money. Sure, I can understand that. But the fact that he was puzzled by the fact that the team considered James Harrison to be a higher priority? Are you kidding me? The defending NFL defensive player of the year? The team MVP the last two seasons in a row? The guy who made the defensive play of the decade (or more) in the Super Bowl? That guy?

He said that he was surprised that they gave Harrison the deal before him because Harrison still had a year to go on his contract. Well, news flash, Max...when they team puts the franchise tag on you, you also have one year to go on your contract, so you are on equal footing.

birtikidis
05-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Max should have been surprised that they'd be willing to pay him 8 mill+ per season. I hope we can figure out a cap friendly deal with him...

buckeyehoppy
05-23-2009, 08:52 PM
This is part of the reason why I have been clamoring for the Steelers to draft a LT to groom so that we wouldn't be in this situation. That never happened. Now, it's too late to draft Max's replacement. That's too bad. It pretty much means that the trio of Hills, Capizzi and Foster will HAVE TO be legit and that Colon will have to show A LOT more than he has in the past.

All of you pretty much know that I have no love lost for this petulant child in a very large man's body. Max has NEVER held a starting job with this team unless he was the beneficiary of an injury to an actual starter. Hell. He couldn't even beat out Willie Colon, and Willie will never be mistaken for being Pro Bowl caliber.

Yet, he is the #2 ranked player on the Steelers for salary last season and the season upcoming. He paid like a Pro Bowler and plays like a Toilet Bowler...and he has the nerve to say he's being dissed because Harrison's contract got done first.

The memo to Starks is a simple one. Max:

1) you won't be back if you aren't signed by the start of camp.
2) you'll need to have a career year and you'll need to be named to the Pro Bowl to even sniff the type of $$$ you have made the last two seasons.
3) you shouldn't ever be p'ed.o. by being served after a player who has put in the work, who has done the job and has the accomplishments (D POTY, two-time Pro Bowler, etc.). When your accomplishments match that, you may talk...

...until then, Max, you are a :loser and you need to STFU!!!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-24-2009, 11:47 AM
"I thought I was a priority before. Then, they did James Harrison's deal when he had one year left. So apparently, I'm a lower man on the totem pole than I thought."

Starks has always handled himself professionally during his career here. This statement seems out of character for him. He has never made any comment that is even slightly controversial or self serving like this.

I hope that the quote is inaccurate, or at the very least that we never hear anything like this out of him again.

Crash
05-24-2009, 02:36 PM
What an ungrateful clown Starks is. Just remember Maxine, you've been pretty much worthless when the weather has been good. You don't get to take Heinz Field's ****ty surface with you.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-25-2009, 10:11 AM
What an ungrateful clown Starks is. Just remember Maxine, you've been pretty much worthless when the weather has been good. You don't get to take Heinz Field's ****ty surface with you.

Max has been grossly overpaid these past two seasons.

I don't look for him to work out a long-term deal with the Steelers, and I think it will likely be best for the Steelers if he doesn't.

I do wish Colbert and Co. would have done more to address the LT position in the draft these past three years.

RuthlessBurgher
05-25-2009, 10:27 AM

I don't look for him to work out a long-term deal with the Steelers, and I think it will likely be best for the Steelers if he doesn't.

I do wish Colbert and Co. would have done more to address the LT position in the draft these past three years.

Just curious as to what you think they should have done to address LT in these past 3 drafts.

Should they have drafted Joe Staley (taken at #28 in 2007 by San Francisco) instead of Timmons at #15?

Should they have drafted Duane Brown (taken at #26 in 2008 by Houston) instead of Mendenhall at #23?

Should they have drafted Eben Britton (taken at #39 in 2009 by Jacksonville) instead of Hood at #32?

By the way, I am on record as saying that I would have drafted Anthony Collins in round 3 in 2008 over Bruce Davis (I loved the Mendenhall and Sweed picks and wouldn't change those). I also stated that in this most recent draft, once Michael Oher fell down into the twenties, I would have done whatever was necessary to trade up for him.

Mister Pittsburgh
05-25-2009, 11:21 AM
I dislike Starks. :moon

True Fan
05-25-2009, 12:13 PM
that's what happens when you chose to ignore that position for so long.
where did all the Max lovers go? wasn't this a great move last year tagging him? he would without a doubt be signed long term and would never be allowed to sign that offer. :roll: i thought it was a great move to franchise him this year because he would most definitely sign a long term deal before he signed this year's offer. :roll:
when are the lemmings going to admit that the team scrwed the pooch and this situation. i would have easily given the money top one of these 'high priced' FA than this useless sack of ****.

Flasteel
05-25-2009, 12:31 PM
"I thought I was a priority before. Then, they did James Harrison's deal when he had one year left. So apparently, I'm a lower man on the totem pole than I thought."

Starks has always handled himself professionally during his career here. This statement seems out of character for him. He has never made any comment that is even slightly controversial or self serving like this.

I hope that the quote is inaccurate, or at the very least that we never hear anything like this out of him again.

I couldn't agree more T.O.
I've been a big supporter of Starks for a long time and I was a little irritated by this statement myself. Anytime you get quoted in an article there is always room for your words to be taken out of context and I can only hope that's the case here. His attitude has always been exemplary so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

There's no doubt that Starks has been paid handsomely over the past two seasons, especially as it relates to his play on the field. That said, there are some otherwise solid posters here who continue to make half-retarded comments about his ability or his potential value to this team. Starks was probably our best lineman last season (granted that's not saying a whole lot) and when you look at his total time at LT he has played pretty darn well. He's still very young and has spent the past 20 games or so re-adjusting to the position, improving as he got more reps.

I think Max can have a very long and productive career here but I do agree with the sentiment that he needs to step up and take one for the team. Not only has he been rewarded financially beyond what he could have ever hoped at this point, we need the cap space to remain optimally competitive. The league is littered with a lot of wealthy losers who have no idea what it means to contend for a title, let alone have that opportunity each season. If Max is looking for that blockbuster deal or refuses to negotiate a long-term deal unless it compensates him more than what he's already getting in 2009, then he'll get his chance to find out just how green the grass is.

Get a fair deal done, get rich, help your team remain competitive, and play for a Super Bowl contender every season, likely for the remainder of your career. Where's the downside Starks?

Flasteel
05-25-2009, 12:37 PM
where did all the Max lovers go? wasn't this a great move last year tagging him? he would without a doubt be signed long term and would never be allowed to sign that offer. :roll: i thought it was a great move to franchise him this year because he would most definitely sign a long term deal before he signed this year's offer. :roll:
when are the lemmings going to admit that the team scrwed the pooch and this situation. i would have easily given the money top one of these 'high priced' FA than this useless sack of bad word.

Screwed the pooch? Are you kidding me? This move proved to be extremely sage given the outcome of last season and what transpired early on. How many teams can lose their starting LT and insert someone off the bench who's strong enough to not lose a step there?

Starks was tagged as an insurance policy last season and it paid off for us big-time. I'm not going to sit here and say definitively that we don't win our sixth Lombardi without him but I'm not so sure that Trai Essex or Tony Hills would have held opposing defenses to only 4 sacks...who knows how it would have unfolded.

I think I mentioned something about otherwise solid posters making half-retarded comments...thanks for illustrating my point.

steelers43
05-25-2009, 02:19 PM
I look for Heath and Max to be done before the season.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-25-2009, 02:20 PM

Just curious as to what you think they should have done to address LT in these past 3 drafts.

You mentioned a couple of good options--selecting Collins and trading up for Oher. There were a plethora of other possiblities. I think Mendenhall will prove to be a very good player for us. However, I think Duane Brown would have also been good for us, and would have filled a more immediate need. This past draft, instead of trading DOWN to get an extra third-rounder, I would have rather seen the Steelers trade UP in the second round to get someone like Britton. I know I'm in the minority on that.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-25-2009, 02:21 PM
I look for Heath and Max to be done before the season.

Why do you think Max gets a contract done? I don't see it.

SidSmythe
05-25-2009, 03:43 PM
I was for keeping Max Starks . . i thought he did well at LT when Marvel went down.

The biggest mistake the Steelers made was franchising this guy. NOW he thinks he's a Franchise Left Tackle. If he would have tested the market he would have gotten 2nd tier LT offers at best and the Steelers would have saved a ton of cap space signing him when he came crying back to the organization b/c no one was taking him seriously as a top flight LT.

steelers43
05-25-2009, 03:44 PM

Like what? Who should they have drafted and is that player better than Max?

I hope they lock Max up. Seems he wants to stay and is willing to be fair. Give him an offer.

They should have given him a deal two years ago. Once again, procrastination and ancient business tactics costs them.

See McFadden, Harrison, Ward, Miller, Faneca, etc.

RuthlessBurgher
05-25-2009, 05:10 PM

You mentioned a couple of good options--selecting Collins and trading up for Oher. There were a plethora of other possiblities. I think Mendenhall will prove to be a very good player for us. However, I think Duane Brown would have also been good for us, and would have filled a more immediate need. This past draft, instead of trading DOWN to get an extra third-rounder, I would have rather seen the Steelers trade UP in the second round to get someone like Britton. I know I'm in the minority on that.

I would have loved to see them trade up for Britton, but since they would have had to trade up into the early second to do so, it would have cost future picks, because picks at the end of rounds 2, 3, 4, etc. would not have added up to enough points to get such a deal done in accordance with the standard trade value draft chart.

All indications are that they were trying to trade up to the mid-second round for a shot at Unger, which I would have supported.

They also could have traded up just a few spots in the late second for William Beatty as a developmental prospect. Any of those deals would have worked for me. Perhaps the team didn't have as high an opinion of Britton or Beatty as I did, though. They have a lot more information at their disposal, after all.

RuthlessBurgher
05-25-2009, 05:12 PM
when are the lemmings going to admit that the team scrwed the pooch and this situation. i would have easily given the money top one of these 'high priced' FA than this useless sack of bad word.

What high priced free agent tackles are you referring to? I would have backed up the Brinks truck for a shot at Jordan Gross, but Carolina re-signed him before the start of free agency. Miami did the same thing with Vernon Carey. Who else was out there available in free agency that you would have signed instead?

steelers43
05-25-2009, 05:42 PM

I would have loved to see them trade up for Britton, but since they would have had to trade up into the early second to do so, it would have cost future picks, because picks at the end of rounds 2, 3, 4, etc. would not have added up to enough points to get such a deal done in accordance with the standard trade value draft chart.

All indications are that they were trying to trade up to the mid-second round for a shot at Unger, which I would have supported.

They also could have traded up just a few spots in the late second for William Beatty as a developmental prospect. Any of those deals would have worked for me. Perhaps the team didn't have as high an opinion of Britton or Beatty as I did, though. They have a lot more information at their disposal, after all.

They wanted Unger only if they couldn't get Loadholt. I would have loved Loadholt. Beatty is years away.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-25-2009, 08:15 PM

I don't think it would have been such a bad thing to give up a future pick or two for a high-caliber OT prospect. Also, keep in mind that it might have been possible to ship a player currently on the roster as part of a deal.

They also could have traded up just a few spots in the late second for William Beatty as a developmental prospect.

Yes. I would have supported either of those moves.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-25-2009, 08:19 PM
They wanted Unger only if they couldn't get Loadholt. I would have loved Loadholt. Beatty is years away.

It be nice to get Loadholt -- as a right tackle. I don't think he would be a good fit on the left side. Beatty has a lot of upside. He might be "years away," but for all I know, so might Hills and Capizzi.

steelers43
05-25-2009, 08:29 PM

Collins I agree with but to say we should have moved up for someone is not something you can do. You don't know if teams would have moved down for us. It's not like we can just decide to move up and teams say, okay.

steelers43
05-25-2009, 08:31 PM

It be nice to get Loadholt -- as a right tackle. I don't think he would be a good fit on the left side. Beatty has a lot of upside. He might be "years away," but for all I know, so might Hills and Capizzi.
IF Beatty gets there at all.

Max on the left and Loadholt on the right would be great if you ask me.

Max - Kemo - Shipley - Colon - Loadholt would have been a nice future line.

RuthlessBurgher
05-25-2009, 09:29 PM

I would have been okay with getting Loadholt in the 2nd as a RT prospect, but that doesn't impact the discussion here from those who are saying that we should have done something in one of the past 3 drafts to replace Max. Since Loadholt is a RT but not a LT prospect, drafting him wouldn't have impacted our situation with Starks in the least. He would have only competed with Colon.

SidSmythe
05-25-2009, 09:32 PM
This moving Colon to guard talk is getting as old as the Steelers going to the 4-3

steelers43
05-25-2009, 09:39 PM

I would have been okay with getting Loadholt in the 2nd as a RT prospect, but that doesn't impact the discussion here from those who are saying that we should have done something in one of the past 3 drafts to replace Max. Since Loadholt is a RT but not a LT prospect, drafting him wouldn't have impacted our situation with Starks in the least. He would have only competed with Colon.

Everyone keeps saying do something else but besides Collins, all I get is that we COULD have moved up. Nobody knows if we could or not and Collins is NOT better than Max.

All I keep hearing is we made mistakes. What mistakes? Seems like a bit of empty cases of complaints outside of reality to me.

steelers43
05-25-2009, 09:40 PM
This moving Colon to guard talk is getting as old as the Steelers going to the 4-3

Until we get someone better, I agree. Colon was originally thought of as a guard canidate.

stlrz d
05-25-2009, 09:44 PM

Especially after this:

BTSC: We've heard many say that Colon is really a guard playing tackle. What is your take on that?

WOLFLEY: Colon is not a guard, he just looks like he should be one. He doesn't have the tools to play guard in this league.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... rs-analyst (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/4/2/817159/btsc-chats-with-steelers-analyst)

fezziwig
05-25-2009, 09:56 PM

I have to agree about getting that kind of coin and not even a wiff of pro bowl caliber. He always seemed slow and clumsy to me and I don't recall him getting out infront for any run blocking or sweeps too often.
I guess we don't run sweeps anymore but still the same, that is a lot of cabbage for a guy that only won out against an injured Marvel Smith.

I don't fault Max for wanting the most for himself, it just seems like too much money for a guy that isn't the tops when, we have real super stars that some of that money could go to.

Just goes to show how little of quality tackles are out there in the NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I was just emptying SPAM out of my e-mail account, and I had a horrifying experience.

It was an advertisement for "Trial Colon Cleanse Sample."

In the "From" column, though, was the following name:

MAX COLON!!!

http://frederatorblogs.com/channel_frederator/files/2008/04/scream.gif

That really freaked me out, man. Seriously. *shudder*

If I get an e-mail tomorrow from Willie Starks, I am sleeping with my eyes open from now on.

Mel Blount's G
05-27-2009, 10:09 PM
How 'bout "Max Mahan" for some sleepless nights ruth?

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2009, 11:59 PM
How 'bout "Max Mahan" for some sleepless nights ruth?

Great...now I'm never going to sleep. Thanks a bunch. :wink: