PDA

View Full Version : It's Memorial Day Weekend, Planet Members...

NKySteeler
05-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Admins & Mods, move this thread when you deem it worthy...

Memorial Day Weekend

This weekend I honor those who gave their lives so I could have the freedom to put stupid crap on this board about the Steelers and other topics, and you to view it... May God bless our servicemen & women past, present and future.

This video is a couple of years old and just as good as the first time I saw it:....

[youtube:1xpfbign]ervaMPt4Ha0&hl[/youtube:1xpfbign]

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7197/12091242944613.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3033/12091242946662.gif

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9674/12091242945325.png

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8248/12091242945369.png

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/5397/12091242945420.png

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/835/12091242945468.png

OK, I couldn't resist... :lol:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7246/12091242947268.jpg

steelers43
05-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I'd like to see all the current servicemen/women honored by pulling them out of a waste of a war. It's a damn shame all of these kids are dying and for nothing. The war was mishandled from the beginning and isn't getting better. Now they are estimating another 8 years to get out of there? Screw that, get out now.

We should have just blasted them with missiles and been done with it. Now we are trying to train and re-build them? Again, screw that, send them back to the stone age where they belong and be done with it. I don't see them writing checks to the families of 911 or to re-build our country.

The war for nothing/oil is a total waste and all that lost their lives or a limb because our government is corrupt and not giving them the proper vehicles to run the war is a true shame but still a waste.

NKySteeler
05-22-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm not getting into "right or wrong" with the current events/situation.... Just making note that they should be honored. They are the ultimate reason that we can do what we do, and have a board to express varied opinions...

steelers43
05-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm not getting into "right or wrong" with the current events/situation.... Just making note that they should be honored. They are the ultimate reason that we can do what we do, and have a board to express varied opinions...

I disagree. They are NOT the reason I can be on a message board. They have served us well but a war is just stupid, never solves anything and is typically a power or money trip.

Let's kill each other's people then figure out a diplomatic way to solve the problems. Makes no sense to me. Just figure it out without the lost lives.

Those people can't be changed. Nothing we do over there will serve a purpose. Launch missiles and be done with it. Wipe their worthless lives off the map.

NKySteeler
05-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Good job getting this thread well on it's way as to deletion.... Light yourself up a doob and re-hash any battle you wish... You've missed the entire point of this thread... Thank you.... :roll:

steelers43
05-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Good job getting this thread well on it's way as to deletion.... Light yourself up a doob and re-hash any battle you wish... You've missed the entire point of this thread... Thank you.... :roll:

You're welcome and I will do that(the doobie part) as I am headed to happy hour then an evening of music in the mountains.

eniparadoxgma
05-22-2009, 07:01 PM

You're welcome and I will do that(the doobie part) as I am headed to happy hour then an evening of music in the mountains.

WTF. Make sure not to get too lit up and drive off a cliff or anything.

Why don't you give my grandfather a call, or better yet start making call after call to every WWII veteran you can and explain to them that they participated in a waste of a war. Let them know how their friends and countrymen died in vain for "money or a power trip".

steelers43
05-22-2009, 07:10 PM

Why don't you give my grandfather a call, or better yet start making call after call to every WWII veteran you can and explain to them that they participated in a waste of a war. Let them know how their friends and countrymen died in vain for "money or a power trip".

My grandfather served two tours in WWII and before he died, he had the same opinion. War doesn't solve anything. In the end, it is settled by administration. Why not skip all the bloodshed and go straight to negotiations?

NKySteeler
05-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Your attitudes haven't changed a bit from board to board.... I don't "de-value" your opinions, but you are seriously missing the point.... Thank God you have the freedom to do what you want.... I wonder how that all happened....

eniparadoxgma
05-22-2009, 07:37 PM

My grandfather served two tours in WWII and before he died, he had the same opinion. War doesn't solve anything. In the end, it is settled by administration. Why not skip all the bloodshed and go straight to negotiations?

Because all leaders/nations/countries/citizens/terrorists/religious zealots/martyrs are always open to negotiations, right?

Believe it or not, but there are people in the world that don't have a rational mindset. As a matter of fact, I would go farther and say that the majority of people do not. Therefore, your "let's negotiate because it will avoid bloodshed" mantra is not relevant to the majority of the conflicts that occur.

"Mr. Bin Laden, let's negotiate!" "Herr Hitler, let's negotiate!" "You large group of extremist fundamentalist religious zealot martyr anti-Americans, let's negotiate! We'll give you some televisions and 24 hours of reality TV a day if you'll just negotiate!"

I believe you're being a bit naive.

Uncle Rico
05-22-2009, 07:58 PM
My grandfather served two tours in WWII
How did he serve two tours when typically soldiers in WW2 were deployed for the duration of the war?

steelcityrules!!
05-22-2009, 08:25 PM
There are times when conflict is un-avoidable, but if we don't address the education of those who are caught up in extremism, then we will be doomed to repeat those conflicts.

papillon
05-22-2009, 10:04 PM

You can't go straight to the negotiations until one of the sides has no option, Robert E Lee wasn't going to Appomattox until he knew it was useless to fight any longer, Armistice Day would have never happened until the Central Powers (Russia, Bularia, Hungary and a few others) realized they could not win, the Axis powers (Germany, Italy and Japan) weren't negotiating anything until they were defeated, so, to say the war isn't necessary isn't true and it never will be.

Let me add just one other relatively important war in our history, the Revolutionary War. Great Britain was not ceding power to the colonies without the war. The colonies would have continued to be taxed and held as servants to the King without the war. All the negotiating in the world wasn't going to have Great Britain, simply, say, "okay, you're thousands of miles away, go ahead and run the colonies as you see fit and send us nothing."

Of course, I agree about IRAQ, there was absolutely no reason to go there and negotiations should have been held (of course, Saddam wouldn't come to the table), Saddam had been boxed in for years and was of no threat and neither were the WoMD that "W" thought existed. Colin Powell was made to look like a fool in front of the UN. He fell on the sword for "W" and I'm not sure why, probably as a favor to the old man.

God Bless the armed forces and the families of those who have had loved ones killed or wounded in the line of duty. <Moment of silence to warriors>

Pappy

Flasteel
05-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Great post NKy! When we all enjoy that three day weekend ahead let's take some time to remember those who put it on the line to give us that freedom. Even though 43's point is not lost on me, this thread should stand alone as a salute to the fallen and their brothers (or sisters) in arms. Set aside the political and philosophical viewpoints for another time.

http://www.freewebs.com/ia3rdi/3rd%20Infantry%20Divison%20Patch.jpg

http://www.combat.ws/S4/MILTERMS/IMAGES/NTC.JPG

http://i23.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/29/e7/b503_2.JPG

birtikidis
05-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Much respect to Nky for this thread. Personal differences aside, this is a very appropriate thread and too many people take these amazing people for granted.
God bless all our soldiers and those who support them.
and those who don't can go to hell.

fordfixer
05-23-2009, 02:10 AM
Nky- Great post thank you..

And thanks to all who have served and are serving.

frankthetank1
05-23-2009, 09:13 AM
ditto nky great thread. i see where 43 is coming from. although its kinda poor taste to get into all that when you create a thread to honor those who have served and are serving in the military. war is always over money, power or land. the men and women have no control over going to war. that is our governments decision not soldiers. god bless america and our troops

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2009, 01:25 PM
While many of us have disagreements about the current war, let's just agree to honor those that have died in battle on Memorial Day, those that have served our country in the past on Veteran's Day, and those that are serving our country at present on Armed Forces Day. The people who are making the decisions about who gets attacked or how long our forces stay somewhere are not the ones who have given their lives, risked their lives, or are risking their lives on the front lines.

And we can be thankful that those body painted triplets don't look like this:

http://listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/img-0056-705316.jpg

steelers43
05-23-2009, 03:14 PM
ditto nky great thread. i see where 43 is coming from. although its kinda poor taste to get into all that when you create a thread to honor those who have served and are serving in the military. war is always over money, power or land. the men and women have no control over going to war. that is our governments decision not soldiers. god bless america and our troops

Consider it poor taste if you wish. I consider it poor taste the treatment those in harms way get and have while trying to fight a war and believe in something they don't believe.

You may feel a little different if you had someone close to you there, injured or dead.

Flasteel
05-23-2009, 04:19 PM

Consider it poor taste if you wish. I consider it poor taste the treatment those in harms way get and have while trying to fight a war and believe in something they don't believe.

You may feel a little different if you had someone close to you there, injured or dead.

Give it a rest dude. There's probably more than a few of us here who agree with you but as everyone has said, this shouldn't be the thread to discuss it.

costanza2k1
05-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Respect to the people who have served and serve this country. Respect to them for creating one of the best countries to live in, hands down. It's because of these people my family and I enjoy the luxuries that we do.

Wolfhound45
05-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Great post NKy!

Flasteel, are you a former DFS and then NTC-OPFOR? Thank you for your service my friend.

Flasteel
05-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Great post NKy!

Flasteel, are you a former DFS and then NTC-OPFOR? Thank you for your service my friend.

I'm not sure what DFS means Wolfie but I was 3rd ID and OPFOR (at NTC) a lifetime ago. No one ever shot live rounds in my direction brother so this weekend has nothing to do with my service...but thanks anyway.

Aren't you 82nd Airborne or something? A career service guy? Allow me to thank you my friend.

Wolfhound45
05-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Great post NKy!

I'm not sure what DFS means Wolfie but I was 3rd ID and OPFOR (at NTC) a lifetime ago. No one ever shot live rounds in my direction brother so this weekend has nothing to do with my service...but thanks anyway.

Aren't you 82nd Airborne or something? A career service guy? Allow me to thank you my friend.

Dog Face Soldier, 3rd ID(M). They were the MND-N HQ for SFOR 9 and I could not stand that song after two weeks in Bosnia. :P

I am here at Fort Bragg with USACAPOC(A). Six more weeks and then I am heading off to Carlisle Barracks for the War College. Ten months of school and then I am supposed to be smart.

I will let you know how it works out. :wink:

Flasteel
05-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Great post NKy!

Dog Face Soldier, 3rd ID(M). They were the MND-N HQ for SFOR 9 and I could not stand that song after two weeks in Bosnia. :P

I am here at Fort Bragg with USACAPOC(A). Six more weeks and then I am heading off to Carlisle Barracks for the War College. Ten months of school and then I am supposed to be smart.

Ha! Dog-Faced Soldier...it's been a long time since I've heard that. I never knew there was an acronymn for it until now. It reminds me of the Audie Murphy stuff they jammed down our throats as part of in-processing.

War College! Holy crap man, are you a full-bird? I gathered that you had some tenure to your service but I had no idea you were on the doorsteps of getting your stars. Congratulations Wolfie and once again thanks for all you do my brother!!

stlrz d
05-25-2009, 09:46 PM
For all who have served, here is a great, big Hee Haw SA-LUTE!!!

http://www.morethings.com/music/june_carter_johnny_cash/hee-haw12-13-75/sa-lute.jpg

Wolfhound45
05-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Great post NKy!

Ha! Dog-Faced Soldier...it's been a long time since I've heard that. I never knew there was an acronymn for it until now. It reminds me of the Audie Murphy stuff they jammed down our throats as part of in-processing.

War College! Holy crap man, are you a full-bird? I gathered that you had some tenure to your service but I had no idea you were on the doorsteps of getting your stars. Congratulations Wolfie and once again thanks for all you do my brother!!

Still an LTC. My first look for COL is January 2012. Got picked up for the AWC my first look so I am hoping for good things in the coming years. No stars in my future though. I am an MSC and we only have one BG.

Anyway, a salute to all that have served and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. You are not forgotten.

stlrz d
05-25-2009, 10:29 PM
*shakes head*

The service sure does like acronyms.

*shakes head*

:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
05-26-2009, 09:17 AM
*shakes head*

The service sure does like acronyms.

*shakes head*

:lol:

WTF? LOL! BRB.

:mrgreen:

birtikidis
05-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Wolf my apologies on the belated thanks!
you guys are an inspiration to us all and deserve more than one day of recognition.

ramblinjim
05-26-2009, 02:43 PM
thanks for the great post NkY. And to all the men and women on this board that have served or are serving, thank you.

MeetJoeGreene
05-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Give it a rest dude. There's probably more than a few of us here who agree with you but as everyone has said, this shouldn't be the thread to discuss it.

S43 never gives it a rest. It is what he does.

And apparently he now thinks that Memorial Day is devoted exclusively to the current war in Iraq? I had always thought that it was about all American soldiers killed in battle/service.

Jigawatts
05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
(CNN) -- A helicopter crash at an Army airfield in Hawaii killed two soldiers Wednesday, military officials said.

The two soldiers, who were not immediately identified, were on a routine maintenance flight on the Kiowa
Warrior helicopter and were the only ones aboard, said officials at U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii.

The cause of the crash, which occurred at 3:30 p.m. (9:30 p.m. ET), is under investigation.

I've never met the one soldier who was killed, but he's a local kid from the Youngstown area.

My wife went to high school with him and will be attending the services sometime next week.

He will be missed by his friends and family.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachments/politics/3848d1182537095-air-force-staff-sgt-earl-covel-soldier_salute.gif

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/05/28/hawaii ... ef=time_us (http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/05/28/hawaii.copter.crash/index.html?eref=time_us)