PDA

View Full Version : Who is the nastiest Steeler? Lloyd, Lambert, Harrison?

jj28west
05-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Who knows, maybe these are guys that are really nice in private but something tells me that they are not acting the part in the publics eye. I know the Raiders had some characters but these guys would make me cry in a stare down contest.

I would not call Lloyd dirty but I do remember trying to take Marino's head off on MNF and who would forget the F bomb on national TV after defeating the Colts fo rthe AFC crown.

Lambert had an intemidating persona by all accounts but I am going by film clips since he was before my time.

Siverback is also not going to win any Mr. congeniality contests either.

Its a tough call but one thing I do know is that you will not be seeing these guys on dancing with the stars.

rpmpit
05-22-2009, 06:56 AM
I'm going to assume you mean nastiest on the field. I'd have to say Lambert. But he played in a different era with a different set of rules. Many of the great hits we see in Lambert highlights would result in penalties today.

I'd say you can make an argument for any of the three.

BTW, the only truly "nasty" Raider (in my opinion) was Alzado. The rest of them where wanna be posers trying to be as intimidating as us. It didn't work.

Discipline of Steel
05-22-2009, 07:14 AM
Lambert is the trendsetter, the original Intimidator. He set a high bar for all future Steelers Lloyd, Harrison, Clark, Ward, and Sweed included. He created the mystique.

Uncle Rico
05-22-2009, 07:31 AM
The one not from Kent State.

Slapstick
05-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Nastiest player? Lambert...

Nastiest person? Lloyd...

RKSteel
05-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Lloyd.

I remember an interview with him where he was talkin about his on-field attitude. I believe he said that his grandmother raised him. Lloyd said when he was playing pee-wee football and the parents were in the stands rooting for "little johnny" he would get mad that no-one was rooting for him and he wanted to inflict as much pain on little johnny as he could.

Slapstick
05-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Lloyd.

I remember an interview with him where he was talkin about his on-field attitude. I believe he said that his grandmother raised him. Lloyd said when he was playing pee-wee football and the parents were in the stands rooting for "little johnny" he would get mad that no-one was rooting for him and he wanted to inflict as much pain on little johnny as he could.

"Go little Johnny? Well, I just knocked little Johnny on his @$$!"

flippy
05-22-2009, 09:08 AM
How bout guys like Ernie Holmes or Mean Joe?

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2009, 09:14 AM
The Sheetz towel dispenser votes for Jeff Reed. :P

ramblinjim
05-22-2009, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't want to have any of those three men personally p1ssed off at me. I've heard stories about Mike Webster being one nasty SOB too.

Djfan
05-22-2009, 10:00 AM
When every guy after gets compared to you, it says something.

Lambert.

papillon
05-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Good question and being old enough to have watched all three play in their prime I have to go with Lambert. He is the original intimidator and while much of his intimidation would be illegal today, I believe he would still have done nothing differently. He played the game to a different beat than the rest of the NFL.

Pappy

stlrz d
05-22-2009, 10:50 AM
I believe, were it still legal, Lloyd and Harrison would be doing the same things Lambert did.

steelblood
05-22-2009, 11:16 AM
1. Ernie Holmes - was certifiable. Should have been locked up. Mean, crazy, unpredictable. Was undisciplined and played a nasty, filthy, terrorizing way that no player today could get away with.
2. Lambert - always worked up into a frenzy. Pound-for-pound, he is maybe the hardest hitter ever.
3. Joe Greene - Dirty player. He looked like he wanted to injure everyone.
4. Greg Lloyd. He was relentless. He was intimidating. But, much of his game was predicated on finess rush moves. So, it is difficult to place him at the top of the list. An explosive hitter and striker in the open field and backfield. Used his helmet and facemask as weapons.
5. Deebo - An animal. Lives for carnage. He has incredible physical strength and leverage that allow him to unleash the terror inside. Causes more fumbles than any player I've ever seen.

NorthCoast
05-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm gonna go with Lloyd. Lambert was one SOB, but there were stories that even Lloyd's teammates were afraid to be around him....

ramblinjim
05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Wouldn't we all love if Lloyd and Harrison could play under the same rules the guys in the 70's played under? They would kill people.

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2009, 01:15 PM
I could imagine hanging out with Jack Lambert. He would be intimidating, sure, but I doubt that I would be peeing my pants with fear when he walked in the door.

Greg Lloyd, on the other hand...remember that auction in which Lloyd would come over to someone's house to watch a game? No one bought it, I think because most Steeler fans are too afraid to have that dude in their house.

jj28west
05-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Great stories and analysis,

Theres quite a few of you that are saying Lambert hands down and mentionings of Mean Joe and Ernie. Damn, I wish I remembered these guys. Of course theres the pushing over of that Dallas guy Cliff Harris? in the Super Bowl by Lambert. There was another clip of Preston Peterson? getting tackled by Lambert and another Steeler that definately would not have been allowable in today's game.

This really says something about the 70 Steeler teams (going back 40 years) when compared with the mid 90 Steelers and the teams of today.

This may sound really dumb but was Lambert that good (I dont know how pro bowls were voted back then) or was it more on reputation? (in how he played the game with no teeth like a hockey enforcer?)

steelblood
05-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Theres quite a few of you that are saying Lambert hands down and mentionings of Mean Joe and Ernie. Damn, I wish I remembered these guys. Of course theres the pushing over of that Dallas guy Cliff Harris? in the Super Bowl by Lambert. There was another clip of Preston Peterson? getting tackled by Lambert and another Steeler that definately would not have been allowable in today's game.

This really says something about the 70 Steeler teams (going back 40 years) when compared with the mid 90 Steelers and the teams of today.

This may sound really dumb but was Lambert that good (I dont know how pro bowls were voted back then) or was it more on reputation? (in how he played the game with no teeth like a hockey enforcer?)

Hells yes! Lambert was a tackling machine. He didn't move as well as Ham did, but he was a thumper. He made all the calls on D, he met all the backs in the holes, and he took on blockers very well. Amazingly, he was also very good at stopping short yardage plays even though he was undersized (even for his day). Lambert was highly effective, intimidating, and intelligent. Not overrated. L.C. Greenwood was overrated imho.

For the guy who said he wouldn't be scared of Lambert nearly as much as Lloyd, I don't think you have the flavor of how crazy, mean, and intimidating he was. Sure, Lloyd was bigger and more athletic (and Lloyd is actually my favorite STeelers linebacker of all time). But, I feel that Lambert was meaner and nastier. He looked like a big jaded longshoremen on a killing spree. He was plenty intimidating and could be favorably compared to Lloyd or Harrison.

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2009, 03:56 PM

Hells yes! Lambert was a tackling machine. He didn't move as well as Ham did, but he was a thumper. He made all the calls on D, he met all the backs in the holes, and he took on blockers very well. Amazingly, he was also very good at stopping short yardage plays even though he was undersized (even for his day). Lambert was highly effective, intimidating, and intelligent. Not overrated. L.C. Greenwood was overrated imho.

For the guy who said he wouldn't be scared of Lambert nearly as much as Lloyd, I don't think you have the flavor of how crazy, mean, and intimidating he was. Sure, Lloyd was bigger and more athletic (and Lloyd is actually my favorite STeelers linebacker of all time). But, I feel that Lambert was meaner and nastier. He looked like a big jaded longshoremen on a killing spree. He was plenty intimidating and could be favorably compared to Lloyd or Harrison.

Perhaps it is that Lambert has aged since his playing days back in the 70's and no longer looks very much like Dracula in Cleats (as opposed to Lloyd, who still looks like his old "Not Hired For My Disposition" self).

http://www.steelerslive.com/gallery2/main.php/d/9786-2/Steelers+Lambert2_10_20_0729.JPGhttp://www.juniorseau.org/images/lloyd.jpg

Discipline of Steel
05-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Lambert would tackle guys then step on them 'accidently' when he was getting up. Even when he wasnt making tackles, between plays Lambert would be pushing the other teams players around like a bully in a playground. Flinging Harris to the ground in the Super Bowl ices it for all time.

Steel Life
05-22-2009, 11:51 PM
1A - Lambert
1B - Lloyd
1C - Harrison

This like asking "who's hotter - Jessica Alba or Megan Fox?" There is no wrong answer...

Captain Lemming
05-23-2009, 06:52 PM
I spoke to former Pat, and Niner tight end Russ Francis once.

I told him I was a Steeler fan and he started telling me Jack Lambert stories.
He said that while under a pile, after he made a catch he was tackled by Lambert then Jack began biting his leg like a crazed maniac.

Russ being a kinda finesse guy anyway sounded like he still is scared of him,

stlrz d
05-24-2009, 01:36 AM
I spoke to former Pat, and Niner tight end Russ Francis once.

I told him I was a Steeler fan and he started telling me Jack Lambert stories.
He said that while under a pile, after he made a catch he was tackled by Lambert then Jack began biting his leg like a crazed maniac.

Russ being a kinda finesse guy anyway sounded like he still is scared of him,

I think I remember Lambert responding to that story and asking, "How could I have bitten him? I don't have any teeth."