PDA

View Full Version : Which is worse?

stlrz d
05-21-2009, 07:22 PM
People who complain that the Steelers' first round picks don't step in right away?

OR

People who complain that the Steelers don't sign the big name free agents?

Vote and discuss. :stirpot

Ozey74
05-21-2009, 08:12 PM
The Steelers have proven for years that the big name FA don't equal wins. Look at the Cowboys. No wins since 95. Pathetic!!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Where is the choice for "C" all of the above?

birtikidis
05-21-2009, 10:06 PM
we should get a write in vote!

stlrz d
05-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Nope, you gotta choose! :D

BURGH86STEEL
05-21-2009, 10:17 PM
I will have to say people's expectations of rookies.

fordfixer
05-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Which is worse?

No football right now. the off season stinks :HeadBanger

rpmpit
05-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Not sure either argument really bothers me too much. Mainly because I understand the reasoning behind the Steeler way of doing things. So when someone makes an argument that really has nothing to back it up, I just ignore it.

Oviedo
05-22-2009, 08:11 AM

I agree. How about so called "fans" who complain about the coaches, players and front office that just won 2 of the last 4 Super Bowls?

stlrz d
05-22-2009, 10:34 AM

I agree. How about so called "fans" who complain about the coaches, players and front office that just won 2 of the last 4 Super Bowls?

While I agree all of the above is annoying, the idea was here are two things that we hear about every season. The team is solid so usually there isn't room for rooks to step in right away and big name FA's just aren't necessary...so I thought it would be fun to see which people dislike more just of these two options.

rpmpit - I agree that people who understand the Steelers way can laugh off the naysayers, but, like mosquitoes at a camp site, they are a nuisance.

Oviedo
05-22-2009, 10:59 AM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":2b1m1m1u]Where is the choice for "C" all of the above?

While I agree all of the above is annoying, the idea was here are two things that we hear about every season. The team is solid so usually there isn't room for rooks to step in right away and big name FA's just aren't necessary...so I thought it would be fun to see which people dislike more just of these two options.

rpmpit - I agree that people who understand the Steelers way can laugh off the naysayers, but, like mosquitoes at a camp site, they are a nuisance.[/quote:2b1m1m1u]

a mosquitoes or gnats anology is very appropriate. Just buzzing around and adding no value what so ever.
:D :D :D :D

stlrz d
05-22-2009, 11:03 AM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":q3355ejx]Where is the choice for "C" all of the above?

rpmpit - I agree that people who understand the Steelers way can laugh off the naysayers, but, like mosquitoes at a camp site, they are a nuisance.

a mosquitoes or gnats anology is very appropriate. Just buzzing around and adding no value what so ever.
:D :D :D :D[/quote:q3355ejx]

You got it! :P

steelblood
05-22-2009, 11:24 AM
C. People who want to lump everyone into a category.

I agree that some people just love to complain all the time. I also think some believe that criticizing the Steelers is hating them. Both are ridiculous.

stlrz d
05-22-2009, 11:28 AM

I agree that some people just love to complain all the time. I also think some believe that criticizing the Steelers is hating them. Both are ridiculous.

The same people time and time again complain that the Steelers draft picks don't start from day one and/or that the Steelers never sign the big name FA.

The Steelers continue to, year in and year out, prove those people wrong.

Yet the next season they're right back at it all over again....

BURGH86STEEL
05-22-2009, 01:16 PM

The same people time and time again complain that the Steelers draft picks don't start from day one and/or that the Steelers never sign the big name FA.

How long before we hear Ziggy is a bust?

stlrz d
05-22-2009, 01:18 PM

Heh! Some folks have already said he's a 4-3 player and will never fit our scheme. :lol:

steelblood
05-22-2009, 03:15 PM

And they are often wrong. But, the dissenting opinion is what makes a good discussion. Even some of the most pessimistic posters often make intriguing points.

I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm simply making the point that I think there is a little too much time spent on labeling posts and posters' opinions instead of discussing the merits of them. I agree with you that whiners are annoying and that Steelers rookies take time to develop. I also think that discussing their development is sometimes interesting and opinions can and should vary. There is a lot of gray between the haters and the lovers.

frankthetank1
05-22-2009, 04:56 PM
i think people that complain about not signing big name fa's are more annoying. the steelers have never operated like that. the teams that sign big fa's never win the super bowl for the most part. its not a winning strategy so why even attempt it? im with oviedo though the people that annoy me the most are the ones who always complain even though the steelers have won 2 super bowls in the last few years or so

stlrz d
05-22-2009, 10:50 PM

And they are often wrong. But, the dissenting opinion is what makes a good discussion. Even some of the most pessimistic posters often make intriguing points.

I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm simply making the point that I think there is a little too much time spent on labeling posts and posters' opinions instead of discussing the merits of them. I agree with you that whiners are annoying and that Steelers rookies take time to develop. I also think that discussing their development is sometimes interesting and opinions can and should vary. There is a lot of gray between the haters and the lovers.

This is about the people who don't make good points. It's about the folks who do nothing but complain...and year after year they are proven wrong.

That doesn't make for good discussion...they are just annoying, which is why I made the mosquito analogy.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-24-2009, 11:29 AM

The more important question is what will his bust name be? Can we ever get one as great as Bustamalu? That's such a great bust name that it makes me sad he didn't continue to be a bust....we could have kept that name going for years. :wink:

stlrz d
05-24-2009, 11:37 AM
[quote=steelblood]C. People who want to lump everyone into a category.

The more important question is what will his bust name be? Can we ever get one as great as Bustamalu? That's such a great bust name that it makes me sad he didn't continue to be a bust....we could have kept that name going for years. :wink:[/quote:4hqve21q]

What do you mean "could have"? :lol:

Wolfhound45
05-24-2009, 05:19 PM

HE ALREADY IS A BUST! I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY DRAFTED THIS GUY! THEY NEED TO CUT HIM BEFORE THEY EVEN SIGN HIM!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200904/dianasteelers0427c.1_500.jpg

The preceding comment was for off-season, entertainment value only. It does note represent the views of this poster. :stirpot

True Fan
05-25-2009, 12:31 PM
how about the 'fans' that list all the big name FAs that the steelers should sign but after they dont, say that's not the 'steeler way' to build a team OR the same 'fans' that proclaim each steeler draft pick to be the steal of the draft and an immediate starter or impact player from day one but when it doesn't happen the first year then claim how the steelers rookies need a year or two to learn the system. :lol:

SteelCzar76
05-25-2009, 01:51 PM
how about the 'fans' that list all the big name FAs that the steelers should sign but after they dont, say that's not the 'steeler way' to build a team OR the same 'fans' that proclaim each steeler draft pick to be the steal of the draft and an immediate starter or impact player from day one but when it doesn't happen the first year then claim how the steelers rookies need a year or two to learn the system. :lol:

Were you not aware that the ownership, front office, the entire coaching staff and every single player on the roster are infallible ? Or,..if not,...they at least have more upside than any of their respective peers !

And if you or anyone else were to say any different,...well then you are heretic and the limbic brain governed Cheerleaders will immediately challenge you to a Pom Pom duel ! :lol:

stlrz d
05-25-2009, 09:22 PM

I've never seen anyone list big name FAs the Steelers should sign and then after say, "That's the Steeler way". But I do see plenty of people list all the FAs they feel the Steelers should sign and then get mad when they don't.

I've not seen the latter either.

:)

fezziwig
05-25-2009, 09:25 PM
The Steelers have proven for years that the big name FA don't equal wins. Look at the Cowboys. No wins since 95. Pathetic!!

I agree 100%

We have had some nice free agenst though with Ryan Clark, James Farrior, Jerrome Bettis, Jeff Hartings that come to mind. I like how our Steelers do things with working through the draft and finding guys like above mentioned. Other than Jerrome, these guys were not the big name type but, the Steelers sure did know they were a fit and I like players that work hard, have talent vs. big name players that seem to have baggage when leaving their former team and they always seem to carry it along with them.

Six Super Bowl wins............our system seems to be doing well.

stlrz d
05-25-2009, 09:42 PM

I agree 100%

We have had some nice free agenst though with Ryan Clark, James Farrior, Jerrome Bettis, Jeff Hartings that come to mind. I like how our Steelers do things with working through the draft and finding guys like above mentioned. Other than Jerrome, these guys were not the big name type but, the Steelers sure did know they were a fit and I like players that work hard, have talent vs. big name players that seem to have baggage when leaving their former team and they always seem to carry it along with them.

Bettis was in the Rams' doghouse and came to us via a draft day trade.

fezziwig
05-25-2009, 09:46 PM

I agree 100%

Your right, I remember that now. Rumor had it that he was a headache to them. Rooney asked him about it it and Jerome told him he wasn't the troubled player as advertised and Rooney trusted him.
I also remember that Jerrome coming to the Steelers may someday be the biggest bargain ever in NFL history. I bet if Cowher would have won one or two Super Bowl soon after getting Bettis that title would have stuck.

stlrz d
05-25-2009, 09:50 PM

I agree 100%

Your right, I remember that now. Rumor had it that he was a headache to them. Rooney asked him about it it and Jerome told him he wasn't the troubled player as advertised and Rooney trusted him.
I also remember that Jerrome coming to the Steelers may someday be the biggest bargain ever in NFL history. I bet if Cowher would have won one or two Super Bowl soon after getting Bettis that title would have stuck.

Rich Brooks drafted Lawrence Phillips then traded us Bettis for a second round pick in '96 and a fourth round pick in '97.

Phillips was cut half way through his second season.

Bettis is currently #5 on the all time rushing list.

:lol: :tt2

fezziwig
05-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Remember Bettis as a rookie and how he ran all over our Steeler defense ? I was wishing, " why couldn't we get a back like him."
He toasted our team.